Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Work this one out ,

She's on 40,000 per year purely welfare add the cost of the 3 bed city centre apartment based off the lower end for a 3 bed city centre apartment she now gets €70,000 if she lasts a year or more ,

Tax increased will be required

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

HIB wrote: »
    Completely buy the argument that we have to care for people and house them, no matter how reckless, incompetent or feckless they are.

However, surely we can do that on our own terms.

Why does she have to live in Dublin? Why should she live in a place demanding premium prices, when many who work can’t afford that luxury.

Move to Waterford, Limerick, Galway, Cork. Or any of the hundreds of ailing rural towns that might actually benefit from the population boost.

There's no waiting lists outside of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

tom1ie wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/middle-ireland-is-already-squeezed-it-shouldnt-pay-again-37227766.html

Here we go again.
    Sorry it's been posted multiple times. Goes to show the anger.
    He started well but screwed it up at the end by saying the solution to rising welfare costs is more taxes, just different ones, rather than being imaginative about reducing welfare spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

n97 mini wrote: »
    He started well but screwed it up at the end by saying the solution to rising welfare costs is more taxes, just different ones, rather than being imaginative about reducing welfare spending.

Ronald Reagan's quote (no Reagan fan here) applies: "You don't have a revenue problem, you have a spending problem."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Igotadose wrote: »
    Ronald Reagan's quote (no Reagan fan here) applies: "You don't have a revenue problem, you have a spending problem."

That sounds more logical compared to what Charlie Haughey said in 1980 was it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Gatling wrote: »
    Work this one out ,

She's on 40,000 per year purely welfare add the cost of the 3 bed city centre apartment based off the lower end for a 3 bed city centre apartment she now gets €70,000 if she lasts a year or more ,

Tax increased will be required

Plus yer man in jail.

Melendez wrote: »
    It was interesting that on Radio 1 9am news this morning the story about the calls for increased PRSI and extra welfare payments was raised. The next, unrelated news story, with no reference to the previous segment, and no new news to tell, just a regurgitation of the previous day's news, was how Ms cash and family had settled into their new home.

Make no mistake, Ms cash is being used by similar powers, and the rabble, once again, are taking the bait.

No you make the mistake of claimimg cash is be used ,
    She is Using "US" the people ,the tax payers who are funding her lifestyle .

I'd love an apology from the likes of her and her supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    There will come a tipping point some day and people will explode with anger. It could be 2/5 10 years. Who knows. The Govt just think they can squeeze squeeze squeeze the middle with no repurcussions. Just look at the temporary USC ffs.

They are constantly feeding a monster. Useless.

The problem is what is the alternative ?

The actual left would appear to be worse

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

naughtb4 wrote: »

Yep. Have to wonder why the people who are always complaining dont decide to set up their own anti-welfare, anti-media party. To "fix" Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Does anybody know what part of Dublin she lives in?

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Does anybody know what part of Dublin she lives in?

As of now Parnell Street via tallaght

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Left are definitely worse. It's bleak tbf unless some newcomers come in. No plausible alternative at the minute sadly so this madness will continue. Social Democrats deserve to gain some traction in my opinion. That's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Plus yer man in jail.

Who is costing us €70k a year to be incarcerated and when he is released he will like all prisoners receive a medical card right away regardless of means.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/prisoners-to-get-medical-card-when-they-leave-jail-421351.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Would absolutely love that to be true. Alas, it is work-shy layabouts like Cash who are using the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Don’t you have to be 18+ (an adult) to go on the housing list?

Sure if you're allowed get married at 15 then why not? F*ck the rules. They only apply to some of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

they will never be employed, they will never own a house, they will always be at the mercy of the state and what goes with it. i certainly would not want to be in that situation and i'm glad i'm not.

Like people working for a living are at the mercy of their employers? Or self-employed people are at the mercy of the economy and their business surviving (incidentally, they won’t get any social welfare help if their business goes belly up)? Being at the mercy of the state is a much safer bet than being employed. What’s the worst that can ever happen someone living off social welfare? During the recession the dole was cut by, what, €10, whereas people were losing their jobs left, right and centre.

So they’ll never own their own home - so what? They’ll have their accommodation paid for right up until the day they die. What would be the point in them owning their own home? You can’t take it with you. People who work for a living strive to own their own home by the time they’re retired, as they don’t want to be paying for accommodation out their pensions. They might also want to have something to pass on to their children to give them a help in life. Again, not a concern for the likes of Ms. Cash, as, if her children follow in her footsteps and live what she calls herself “the traveller life”, then they won’t be needing any such help from their parents - the State will provide them with all they need.

At the end of they day, we all end up with the same thing. Only some people had to work 40 or 50 years of their lives to get there, whereas other people sat on their holes and let other people do the work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Peter McVerry says anyone who opposes people getting houses who have never worked a day in their life is a conservative trump supporter!!

He's in prisons this weekend handing out tobacco to handbag snatchers and granny bashers. He's too far gone on the bleeding heart to take all that seriously.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Sure if you're allowed get married at 15 then why not? F*ck the rules. They only apply to some of us.

I would have thought you more than anyone, in your occupation would be aware of exactly what goes on here? e.g Prisoners see C.W.O's in the prison's before leaving to ensure they get a roof over their head,money etc?

I know of one prison that has its own C.W.O albeit on a part time basis.

Marriage at that age is by court order, next we'll have council houses awarded to teenagers via the courts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yep. Have to wonder why the people who are always complaining dont decide to set up their own anti-welfare, anti-media party. To "fix" Ireland.

Too busy working otherwise I’d do it in a heartbeat.
    First all I’d implement a huge crackdown on welfare fraud.
    Secondly look at reducing child allowance to only 2 children with a deadline of 10 years. There’s no way you could introduce it straightaway.
    Next up i’d look at ensuring that all those in receipt of jobseekers/dole etc would work for it. Be it 1-2 days a week cleaning duties in town etc and other days on courses that help them upskill.
    Then of course a huge crackdown on crime.
    Build a super prison in the midlands somewhere in the arse of nowhere. Any one on trial their previous convictions will determine their sentencing..ie someone with 50 previous convictions will not be getting any of it suspended etc.
    Look at corporation tax and loopholes. We obviously don’t want to drive them away but they have to pay a fair share also.
    Make all welfare payments taxable. Make USC viable across the board and stop having the middle class shouldering the entire tax burden.
    So much more ideas but don’t have the time at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Blazer wrote: »
    Too busy working otherwise I’d do it in a heartbeat.
    First all I’d implement a huge crackdown on welfare fraud.
    Secondly look at reducing child allowance to only 2 children with a deadline of 10 years. There’s no way you could introduce it straightaway.
    Next up i’d look at ensuring that all those in receipt of jobseekers/dole etc would work for it. Be it 1-2 days a week cleaning duties in town etc and other days on courses that help them upskill.
    Then of course a huge crackdown on crime.
    Build a super prison in the midlands somewhere in the arse of nowhere. Any one on trial their previous convictions will determine their sentencing..ie someone with 50 previous convictions will not be getting any of it suspended etc.
    Look at corporation tax and loopholes. We obviously don’t want to drive them away but they have to pay a fair share also.
    Make all welfare payments taxable. Make USC viable across the board and stop having the middle class shouldering the entire tax burden.
    So much more ideas but don’t have the time at the moment.

Add on introducing a cap on total benefits a person/couple can receive a week/month. With possibility to increase based on payments of income tax (PAYE or self-assessed), so 1/2/3+ years of paying will give you a slight boost to how much you can claim.
    Maybe increase child benefit cut off to 3 or 4, still a manageable amount but not dissuading the average joe/josephine.

Put a block of child benefit for those earning over an amount (€100,000 is thrown about a lot).
    This is dual serving: reduce overall benefit payments, and also bridges opportunity to introduce the cap on benefits; since the biggest argument for a cap is "but how come dis kid gets payment but dis one don't?" and that the payment is made irrelevant of parents situation and just a "kid = money" transaction, you have now set in law that its not based on a childs existence but the parents circumstances. So a cap can go ahead because they will fold themselves in half to remove payments from "de rich fat cats!"

Just put front a center "you can have kids....but state wont pick up the tab after an amount! This (the cap) is how much we will provide; if you have more kids and need more money...work!" Its not like China's one child policy, your free to pop out sprogs but no paycheque at the end, its bringing personal responsibility into the equation; this family goes and has more kids because they can pay for them, if you want you can but you'd better get good at budgeting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Quandary

A forever home right beside Erica Fleming's forever home would be an amusing turn of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Anyone know anything about this marriage by court order thing? What's that all about?
    You can get married at 15 in the Republic of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Left are definitely worse. It's bleak tbf unless some newcomers come in. No plausible alternative at the minute sadly so this madness will continue. Social Democrats deserve to gain some traction in my opinion. That's about it.

The Social Democrats are left!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd love to see a new halting site right next to Miriam O'Callaghan's house.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about this marriage by court order thing? What's that all about?
    You can get married at 15 in the Republic of Ireland?

I always thought it was 16 by parental consent until this thread said otherwise

If she has any more kids, the government will rent her a sprawling mansion on the south side.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

There's no waiting lists outside of Dublin?

I’m sure there are, but when she does get a house, it won’t cost the state 2500 a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/tax-plan-to-hit-squeezed-middle-for-extra-250-37227765.html

So where are the Paul Murphys of this world when it comes to proposals like this? I am one of those eejits who gets up in the morning and goes to work and pays for everything. The Margaret Cashs of this world sit on their backsides and do nothing. Yet now it looks like the working population of Ireland are now going to be asked to have even more of their hard-earned wages squandered on scroungers. Social Welfare should be a safety net for working people who fall on hard times. Not something that enables lazy b'stards to live an idle lifestyle. If there was a march about this (and there should be!) I would make it my business to be part of the protest.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see a new halting site right next to Miriam O'Callaghan's house.

Or tubs himself, has he had her on yet, to do his compassionate routine?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement