Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell has happened to Kilkee?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Truthvader wrote: »
    So as I thought then. No big deal. Been a **** Summer for "the kids" so probably hard to enforce social distancing at this stage. Always a bit of a gathering on Bank holiday Saturdays and a bit of stupidity the odd year. Probably more down there than usual given all the "travel ban green list go but dont go and if you do go dont come back f*ckology."

I for one expect more from both parents and teens!

Obviously you think it is OK for such large gatherings with no regard for the present circumstances.
    Such gatherings put large parts of society in danger of illness and death - as if you were not aware of this!

I wonder if they will care if they cause their family members to get sick, be hospitalised and even die as a result of their disregard for everyone but themselves?
    I would like to think so, but I fear not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

I for one expect more from both parents and teens!

Obviously you think it is OK for such large gatherings with no regard for the present circumstances.
    Such gatherings put large parts of society in danger of illness and death - as if you were not aware of this!

I wonder if they will care if they cause their family members to get sick, be hospitalised and even die as a result of their disregard for everyone but themselves?
    I would like to think so, but I fear not!

All true but have you no understanding? Were you ever young? Not saying its great but a little less hysteria?

All true but have you no understanding? Were you ever young? Not saying its great but a little less hysteria?

.... or a little less acceptance of despicable behaviour might be in order.

If you had a family member die due to Covid-19 you might take a different attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Thats your answer to these kids quite possibly causing clusters once they bring it home to the elder members of their families. Jesus wept. Have you no understanding of how a virus works? Thats not hysteria now, because you seem to have trouble seeing the difference, thats a genuine possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

You have to ask what the guards were doing all night? Considering locals saying it continued to 3AM. Where were the guards for all those hours before hand? Why wasn't it shut down earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Yakult wrote: »
    You have to ask what the guards were doing all night? Considering locals saying it continued to 3AM. Where were the guards for all those hours before hand? Why wasn't it shut down earlier?
    The local Guards would have needed backup to deal with those numbers. No point in 2 or 3 Guards trying to deal with that mob. If it was Spain they would all have got a few clouts of a baton to help with their hangovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Yakult wrote: »

Most of the night things were fine. It was around 1 when people who had been drinking in rented houses decided to congregate around the bandstand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

If BLM can get together our youth should be able to as well. We can't lock them up forever. Lastest HSE advice is to only have virtual or phone sex. Something has to give somewhere.
    I have no opinion on whether or not they should be able to or not. I just reckon the main reason people are up in arms are about it is because it is a large gathering. Everyone in Kilkee probably has a relative in that gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭jackboy

Suckit wrote: »
    I have no opinion on whether or not they should be able to or not. I just reckon the main reason people are up in arms are about it is because it is a large gathering. Everyone in Kilkee probably has a relative in that gathering.

The thing is, for the last couple of weeks there have been large crowds gathered in every town in west Clare with little or no social distancing. It seems the issue with this situation is that it happened at night and it involved under age drinking, that’s why people are appalled. Nothing to do with Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I didn't even consider the underage drinking and I don't think anyone I spoke to on it mentioned drinking, it's the crowds of people when social distancing is supposed to be a thing is what people are appalled at.

Clareman wrote: »
    I didn't even consider the underage drinking and I don't think anyone I spoke to on it mentioned drinking, it's the crowds of people when social distancing is supposed to be a thing is what people are appalled at.

Fair enough but why aren’t they appalled at the crowds of tourists not social distancing during the day. It seems like a double standard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

jackboy wrote: »
    Fair enough but why aren’t they appalled at the crowds of tourists not social distancing during the day. It seems like a double standard.

Because crowds of tourists are on the beach in a big area, during the day, not 100 people in a bandstand in the middle of the night.

jackboy wrote: »
    The thing is, for the last couple of weeks there have been large crowds gathered in every town in west Clare with little or no social distancing. It seems the issue with this situation is that it happened at night and it involved under age drinking, that’s why people are appalled. Nothing to do with Covid.

A proportion of those present might have been 'careful' in the normal course of events, but when alcohol is involved and in a 'party atmosphere' such carefulness is generally lost.

This increases the concerns of those in the locality and wider afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Whatever about Covid, Kilkee has tourists in numbers not seen in over 40 years. If the town was properly marketed there could be a long term spin off. That kind of messing is off-putting to decent people who might consider a holiday in Kilkee. It puts the town in the category of places with a high yob element.

Whatever about Covid, Kilkee has tourists in numbers not seen in over 40 years. If the town was properly marketed there could be a long term spin off. That kind of messing is off-putting to decent people who might consider a holiday in Kilkee. It puts the town in the category of places with a high yob element.

Beach closed again in the only two weeks anyone goes there. The useless knobs in the Co Co should be executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

It was just on tv3 news there , not great publicity .

Gary Owen wrote: »
    It was just on tv3 news there , not great publicity .

At this stage it happens every year without fail. The local Co Co are morons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭maebee

Would the beach being closed have anything to do with the powers that be, not wanting a repeat of the mass gathering last weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

I know its simplistic but there are two issues which it is very disappointing to see the mainstream media ducking and which they need to speak far more bluntly about rather than hid behind oblique references or technical terms.

First: If you spread sh1t on the land, and it rains, the sh1t flows downhill and ends up in the sea.

Second: If you pipe sh1t from residential properties directly into the sea, the sh1t, amazingly, ends up in the sea.

Farmers need to be stopped from spreading muck. Whatever way you make that happen, be it via incentivising alternatives and/or outlawing the practice and enforcing it; farming methods clearly need to change.

On the second; that's where councils need to be run through with a flamethrower. Ironically much of the issue comes down to attempts made to avoid the scourge of one-off housing, when efforts were indeed made to encourage development of new housing in existing towns and villages. But in so many cases, without beefing up the existing treatment facilities to cope with the additional load. Or making sure there were fit-for-purpose treatment facilities in the first place.

I'm no rabid tree-hugging Green leftie, but you don't need to be, or should not need to be one, to realise that pumping sh1t into the sea without adequate treatment is neanderthal.

Not one mention of housing/waste treatment, councils, planning, farmers of farming practices in any of the TV reports.

It's cowardly.

• Advertisement

Redderneck wrote: »
    If you spread sh1t on the land, and it rains, the sh1t flows downhill and ends up in the sea.
    The problem is spreading before rain is expected, which is very common. It’s very easily detected but it is not policed in a serious way.

In fairness they say on Kilkee that if you can see the Aran Islands it is a sign of rain and if you cant see them it means it is raining. So hard to know when to spread slurry. Think the main problem is flushing toilets into the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

It's both. And for as long as townies point the finger at farmers and vice versa, SFA will be done about either. It's the Irish way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Redderneck wrote: »
    I know its simplistic but there are two issues which it is very disappointing to see the mainstream media ducking and which they need to speak far more bluntly about rather than hid behind oblique references or technical terms.

First: If you spread sh1t on the land, and it rains, the sh1t flows downhill and ends up in the sea.

Second: If you pipe sh1t from residential properties directly into the sea, the sh1t, amazingly, ends up in the sea.

Farmers need to be stopped from spreading muck. Whatever way you make that happen, be it via incentivising alternatives and/or outlawing the practice and enforcing it; farming methods clearly need to change.

On the second; that's where councils need to be run through with a flamethrower. Ironically much of the issue comes down to attempts made to avoid the scourge of one-off housing, when efforts were indeed made to encourage development of new housing in existing towns and villages. But in so many cases, without beefing up the existing treatment facilities to cope with the additional load. Or making sure there were fit-for-purpose treatment facilities in the first place.

I'm no rabid tree-hugging Green leftie, but you don't need to be, or should not need to be one, to realise that pumping sh1t into the sea without adequate treatment is neanderthal.

Not one mention of housing/waste treatment, councils, planning, farmers of farming practices in any of the TV reports.

It's cowardly.

If ur directly relating this to kilkee and west clare , take a look around what animals are in the fields my friend. Ur lucky there’s any one willing to stay and farm in west clare , cattle slurry in west clare causing problems to each in kilkee dream on .

The town sewage as u should know piped directly in at the steps in kilkee and back off dunlicky .

If ur directly relating this to kilkee and west clare , take a look around what animals are in the fields my friend. Ur lucky there’s any one willing to stay and farm in west clare , cattle slurry in west clare causing problems to each in kilkee dream on .

The town sewage as u should know piped directly in at the steps in kilkee and back off dunlicky .

Dunlicky is the pooh. The Steps pipe is a land drain. Regardless it is 2020 and they should have made some progress since 1192 over and above ****ting into the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

How was the summer there this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Is it as quiet as this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Was quite busy over the double bank holiday...hard enough to get fed and watered 😊

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Did Kett’s bar ever sell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Showing your age there :-) - Ketts is now a mix of town houses and apartments

Advertisement