Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

D14Rugby wrote: »
    As has been said students have exams coming up and those not in college would have to take time off work to go on an unpaid trip. It may also surprise you to hear that maybe people didn't want to abandon their club in a relegation fight/promotion push/ playoff push.

It's streamed on Facebook.

MLR is available on the same service as the Pro14, ESPN+, as well as local TV stations.

Not sure when people propose the event takes place? They couldn't schedule it any earlier in the year due to the weather and if you go past exam time you're talking about extending the season for players, eating into their off-season, their summer plans etc, while also again potentially dealing with issues like extreme heat. No time is going to suit everyone and clearly players had the chance to turn the trip down if they wanted to stay with their team/exams/not bothered going. Can't see what the issue is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

As has been said students have exams coming up and those not in college would have to take time off work to go on an unpaid trip. It may also surprise you to hear that maybe people didn't want to abandon their club in a relegation fight/promotion push/ playoff push.

It's streamed on Facebook.

If it was my child I would tell him to cop the feck on and go over....study or no study it could be a once in lifetime oppurtunity

If people had a problem from the club they should take a good hard look at themselves. I just hope people did not put pressure on young players to stick around the AIL instead of going over to the US.....if they did they should hang their heads in shame

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The closing stages of the AIL is an order of magnitude more valuable than an invitational throwaway nothing game against a team who wouldn't threaten promotion from div 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Foxtrol wrote: »
    MLR is available on the same service as the Pro14, ESPN+, as well as local TV stations.

Not sure when people propose the event takes place? They couldn't schedule it any earlier in the year due to the weather and if you go past exam time you're talking about extending the season for players, eating into their off-season, their summer plans etc, while also again potentially dealing with issues like extreme heat. No time is going to suit everyone and clearly players had the chance to turn the trip down if they wanted to stay with their team/exams/not bothered going. Can't see what the issue is.

In Ireland it's streamed on Facebook, its not on eir or tg4 which is where Pro14 games are shown. Obviously I'm going to say where its available in Ireland.

Some players could turn it down, some couldn't. If there isn't a time that suited everyone the solution is simple, don't do it. The IRFU could have easily put it off until next season which would make so much more sense from a NE point of view and built a gap into the AIL for it.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If it was my child I would tell him to cop the feck on and go over....study or no study it could be a once in lifetime oppurtunity

If people had a problem from the club they should take a good hard look at themselves. I just hope people did not put pressure on young players to stick around the AIL instead of going over to the US.....if they did they should hang their heads in shame

It's not the feckin 1960s going to Boston isn't a once in a lifetime opportunity.
    Doubt any player was pressured into playing AIL again believe it or not its a very realistic situation that a player would prefer to play for their club than Leinsters 5th team

It's not the feckin 1960s going to Boston isn't a once in a lifetime opportunity

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Bit of confusion/controversy with Joe Tekori's citation.

Tekori's citing as it stands won't be heard until next Wednesday which is an absolute disgrace. If a Leinster player was cited, they'd be heard by the Pro14 this week. If you're playing under ECPR, there should be consistency across the board. The French system of having ten day citations shouldn't apply if there's an upcoming European game.

That said, ECPR have requested clarification from both World Rugby (under which rules ECPR operate) and the LNR as to why the citing will not be heard until next week, with a claim that under World Rugby rules, a player should be automatically suspended if awaiting a hearing.

For those who didn't see it, this was the absolutely shocking challenge that he got a yellow card for from Poite.

https://twitter.com/Smallclone_/status/1117470864356859904?s=19

It's not the feckin 1960s going to Boston isn't a once in a lifetime opportunity.
    Doubt any player was pressured into playing AIL again believe it or not its a very realistic situation that a player would prefer to play for their club than Leinsters 5th team

I guess you have never travelled with a team to another country so....

I guess you have never travelled with a team to another country so....

I have multiple times actually, not including up north, thus I know its not a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Tekori's citing as it stands won't be heard until next Wednesday which is an absolute disgrace. If a Leinster player was cited, they'd be heard by the Pro14 this week. If you're playing under ECPR, there should be consistency across the board. The French system of having ten day citations shouldn't apply if there's an upcoming European game.

That said, ECPR have requested clarification from both World Rugby (under which rules ECPR operate) and the LNR as to why the citing will not be heard until next week, with a claim that under World Rugby rules, a player should be automatically suspended if awaiting a hearing.

For those who didn't see it, this was the absolutely shocking challenge that he got a yellow card for from Poite.

No shock here.....if he does get ban as well and Toulouse are in final he will be back in time

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would imagine that playing in the AIL would be more beneficial for these players if they have professional aspirations than playing in these nothing fixtures in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Some players could turn it down, some couldn't. If there isn't a time that suited everyone the solution is simple, don't do it. The IRFU could have easily put it off until next season which would make so much more sense from a NE point of view and built a gap into the AIL for it.

Nothing would ever be done or changed in the world if you said you can't do things unless it suited everyone. I don't see how you can claim some players were forced to go and others weren't. Pretty easy thing claim for someone to make if they wanted an excuse to go on the trip.

How does next season make more sense from a NE point of view? Firstly, they wouldn't get this opportunity to assess their own playing pool then or attempt to sign those attending. Their season next year will also run from February until the end of June. They wouldnt be able to have the tournament as warm up games in advance of it starting due to the weather in Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

AIL clubs rejected plans for revamp at the end of August, Cara cup was announced start of November, plenty of time to arrange it

2 months isn't really that much time to set something like that up. It could be done in that time sure, but it'd be fairly rushed. It's far, far more likely that, in the absence of the B&I Cup, the IRFU were already looking to fill the A calendar more than just the Celtic Cup early in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Isn't the first time this has happened in regards to champions cup games with French teams I believe. It's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I personally know people who chose AIL over going to the US because they knew the opposition would be ****e and an AIL game would be better for them.

Thus why I pointed out there was a 2 month gap, plenty of time to arrange it.

Yes it is, I regularly watch the MLR and considering the amount of ex AIL players over there it's fairly easy to compare the league and the standard of the better teams is very much 1 A/B level.
    You that confident its only 1A/1B standatd. Have heard otherwis...
    Or maybe they chose AIL as career/college was a priority.....
    If you're travelling and training etc over the length of the tour, and team bonding exercises, it'd be fairly hard to get any decent study in depending on your course.

Lads have been playing with their clubs all year, some have been with their club for several years, I'm not surprised at all that some would have turned down a trip to the US in favour of staying back and playing with their club to try and win a spot in the playoffs etc which is something they've trained and worked for the entire year. Bit disingenuous to suggest that they just brush that aside.
    Anyone really committed to studies wouldnt find it that difficult and yes some have been with their clubs 4/5 years....
    The closing stages of the AIL is an order of magnitude more valuable than an invitational throwaway nothing game against a team who wouldn't threaten promotion from div 2
    Chance of pro contract through the lens of A game could be far more valuable than playing AIL

Only seen as disgraceful here when it might affect an provincial game but has been policy in France for some time as with 20 plus pro games they just run the discipline hearings every second week. Only issue needs to be clarified is why player isnt suspended until hearing.
    I have multiple times actually, not including up north, thus I know its not a once in a lifetime opportunity.
    To travel as a pro player/in pro set up to the States to play for province isnt once in lifetime? When else have provinces done trip like this??
    awec wrote: »
    I would imagine that playing in the AIL would be more beneficial for these players if they have professional aspirations than playing in these nothing fixtures in the US.
    Not necessarily as provincial coaches can see things with guys playing in their teams they'll never get from AIL games. No?

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Nothing would ever be done or changed in the world if you said you can't do things unless it suited everyone. I don't see how you can claim some players were forced to go and others weren't. Pretty easy thing claim for someone to make if they wanted an excuse to go on the trip.

How does next season make more sense from a NE point of view? Firstly, they wouldn't get this opportunity to assess their own playing pool then or attempt to sign those attending. Their season next year will also run from February until the end of June. They wouldnt be able to have the tournament as warm up games in advance of it starting due to the weather in Boston.

Players on a Leinster contract had to go, those not didn't, hows that hard to understand?

Because just now they're still nearly 11 months out from their season so a huge chunk of their squad they have now will change between now an then, and they're not going to learn much watching their players get hammered by some kids from Ireland, it'd make much more sense to play it closer to their season when they have a better idea of their squad. They were played on astro so no reason games couldn't be played in pre season for NE
    molloyjh wrote: »
    2 months isn't really that much time to set something like that up. It could be done in that time sure, but it'd be fairly rushed. It's far, far more likely that, in the absence of the B&I Cup, the IRFU were already looking to fill the A calendar more than just the Celtic Cup early in the season.

This "cup" was the definition of rushed

awec wrote: »

Most rugby players will say it is a huge challange to play in a foreign country. I would imagine getting that experience across a tournament like the Cara cup would be huge benefit to younger players....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Only seen as disgraceful here when it might affect an provincial game but has been policy in France for some time as with 20 plus pro games they just run the discipline hearings every second week. Only issue needs to be clarified is why player isnt suspended until hearing.

I take your point but he WOULD be suspended pending the hearing if he had received a red card and that was a nailed on red card under any interpretation of the tackle laws.

He's not suspended because it was a yellow.

That said, ECPR are querying the situation because their competition subscribes to World Rugby Rules which sets out that all players subject to citation are suspended until heard.

You that confident its only 1A/1B standatd. Have heard otherwis...
    Or maybe they chose AIL as career/college was a priority.....

Anyone really committed to studies wouldnt find it that difficult and yes some have been with their clubs 4/5 years....

Chance of pro contract through the lens of A game could be far more valuable than playing AIL

I watch an average of a game a week yeah I'm pretty confident and among other Irish people that watch it that's the general consensus.
    What?

If you've tough exams coming up you're going to think twice about going away no matter how committed you are.

Not when you're playing such bad opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

This "cup" was the definition of rushed

Yeah, you def don't sound like you've an axe to grind and are prepared to listen to alternate points of views or other sensible possibilities. I think we'll leave it there so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Paul oconnell taking off daves head and not getting a ban isn't too different.
    Don't think we (Irish clubs) can take the moral high ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Paul oconnell taking off daves head and not getting a ban isn't too different.
    Don't think we (Irish clubs) can take the moral high ground.

That was 6 years ago.....

That was 6 years ago.....

No time limit on pulling up grudges

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah, you def don't sound like you've an axe to grind and are prepared to listen to alternate points of views or other sensible possibilities. I think we'll leave it there so.

Yeah because playing 2 games in 4 days, going over for less than a week, in multiple different grounds, announcing the games after the season started just screams organised well in advance. The fixtures still haven't even been added to the fixture list which in itself says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yeah because playing 2 games in 4 days, going over for less than a week, in multiple different grounds, announcing the games after the season started just screams organised well in advance. The fixtures still haven't even been added to the fixture list which in itself says a lot.
    This trip was announced several months ago and well in advance of games.

The adding to website is completely irrelevant considering all the other games, updates on players/teams that are rarely/never put up on website.

Give it up, you just sound bitter for no reason

I just hope players didn’t get blocked from going....if they did the people who stopped them should be kicked out of rugby

This trip was announced several months ago and well in advance of games.

The adding to website is completely irrelevant considering all the other games, updates on players/teams that are rarely/never put up on website.

It was announced after the season started, that's unbelievably far from normal. Adding fixtures to the fixture list is irrelevant that's a new one.
    Give it up, you just sound bitter for no reason

I just hope players didn’t get blocked from going....if they did the people who stopped them should be kicked out of rugby

No players got blocked, players told Leinster of their own volition they didn't want to go.

No players got blocked, players told Leinster of their own volition they didn't want to go.

Sorry but that’s bulls**t....no young players would turn down the chance.....

Sad to think that someone would block a young player a chance of a lifetime so they could play in AIL.....

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Sorry but that’s bulls**t....no young players would turn down the chance.....

Sad to think that someone would block a young player a chance of a lifetime so they could play in AIL.....

Majority of posters here would agree that players did turn down the "chance of a lifetime". Prefereing to help their clubs.

Are you not a fan of the AIL?

guapos wrote: »
    Majority of posters here would agree that players did turn down the "chance of a lifetime". Prefereing to help their clubs.

Are you not a fan of the AIL?

Just clueless

• Advertisement

It was announced after the season started, that's unbelievably far from normal. Adding fixtures to the fixture list is irrelevant that's a new one.

I mean, if they got offered a bunch of cash to send a team across then they made the right decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement