Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Not a single fly-half out of 28 players! Anyone know if Frawley injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is Frawley injured?

Edit: Snap!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Team for Montauban

Leinster Rugby

15. James Lowe
    14. Adam Byrne
    13. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Joe Tomane
    11. Barry Daly
    10. Noel Reid
    9. Nick McCarthy
    1. Peter Dooley
    2. Bryan Byrne
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Ross Molony
    5. Ian Nagle
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Rhys Ruddock CAPTAIN
    8. Max Deegan

16. James Tracy
    17. Ed Byrne
    18. Vakh Abdaladze
    19. Mick Kearney
    20. Will Connors
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park
    22. Jimmy O'Brien
    23. Dave Kearney
    24. Oisín Dowling
    25. Conor O'Brien
    26. Tom Daly
    27. Jack Kelly
    28. Gavin Mullin

Presume we'll be lucky to get some random facebook stream of the pre season game this Friday. I'd imagine it will be a 30 man squad with Ruddock in as captain.

Called it!

Frawley must be carrying a knock. Even if he wasn't at 10 he'd likely have wound up on the bench. His complete absence suggests he isn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

A thread name proposal:

Leinster Team Talk X; The Fault in Our Stars

I'd like to propose a slight amendment if I may. Leinster Team Talk X; The Fault in Four Stars

Just like the issue with stars being on the jersey in the first place, it's a bit of a non-issue really. Sure there's a slight aesthetic issue, but if that's all that people have to complain about then things are pretty good. It wouldn't stop me buying the jersey. The ironed on logos on the other hand....

11 to 15 is very positive, front and back rows are good. Second row is a bit meh, but decent enough. Half backs are a worry there. The bench is fine too when you consider the number of absentees. Decent bit of bulk in the outside backs as well. Daly, Tomane, Byrne and Lowe are all pretty powerful. If they can get decent service from the forwards and half backs they could do real damage.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Lowe at full back should be entertaining if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If nothing else, the selection gives us a peak into what the coaches are looking to try this season....

McCarthy nailing down a back up spot, Reid potentially covering 10 (although looks as much out of necessity for this one), Tomane covering 12 and possibly Lowe playing 15 at times.

Can't read too much into a selection like this but interesting that they're having a look at Byrne from the start at hooker with JT on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    If nothing else, the selection gives us a peak into what the coaches are looking to try this season....

McCarthy nailing down a back up spot, Reid potentially covering 10 (although looks as much out of necessity for this one), Tomane covering 12 and possibly Lowe playing 15 at times.

Can't read too much into a selection like this but interesting that they're having a look at Byrne from the start at hooker with JT on the bench.

I think JT missed some time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Will Reid nail down the back up 10 at the rwc?
    I think He may.
    We are in an unbelievable glorious situation, were our best 10 gets released into the war zone 1 year before the rwc.
    Noel Reid ..... legend. Lol

Good to see a couple of academy players. Gavin Mullin could be a bolter this year.
    I think Ross Molony needs to hit the ground running if he wants to play in the Euro matches.
    He hasn't progressed much over the past 2 seasons.
    Wonder why Harry Byrne wasn't given a shout? A pre season match would be a good time to get baptized!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Good to see a couple of academy players. Gavin Mullin could be a bolter this year.
    I think Ross Molony needs to hit the ground running if he wants to play in the Euro matches.
    He hasn't progressed much over the past 2 seasons.
    Wonder why Harry Byrne wasn't given a shout? A pre season match would be a good time to get baptized!

Molony disappointed last season for sure. Hasn't really kicked on since his breakout.

None of the JWC players were considered for selection

Noel Reid seems to be slotting his kicks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Into the last 20, 8 points up, tries from RoL and Tracy

Reid, Tomane and Daly have all attempted kicks at goal.

Both tries when we were down a man???

17-18 win. Good result given the circumstances.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

didn't know Leinster were playing, didn't need to ask if we won :cool::pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Pulled the trigger on the new away Jersey.

Hopefully there for a store pick up on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

I think all the new jerseys look good but the new black training jersey looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Does anyone know where to buy tickets for the match in Thomond? OLSC said they'll let us know but the tickets are up now and I want to pull the trigger soonish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Did Vakh get a bit of game time?

Very impressed by his cameo at the end of last season.

Will be interesting to see how he progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

prawnsambo wrote: »

Good to see Daly getting a mention. Had really bad luck with injury the last couple of years and never really got a chance to stake himself as a first team option.

Do we take from that report that our forwards weren't great? Surprised to not see at least 1 of them in there. Good to hear that Tom Daly did well. He needs a big season this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Hugh Hogan made contact skills coach.
    Jobs for the boys or an appointment on merit?

Anyone work with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ha, all the Southern Hemisphere boys and a massive centre. Classic French scouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

VdF, Seanie and Leafy not back untill after the first few weeks of the season, all back before Champs League.....hopefully.
    Frawley playing this weekend.

With the internationals playing a reduced role this year, it could be a long season.
    The 2nd string is not good enough to keep head above water.
    A huge season is needed from RB, Deegan, Molony and A Byrne imo.
    It's anyone's opportunity to stake a place. Hopefully Frawley can be an adequate 10.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    With the internationals playing a reduced role this year, it could be a long season.
    The 2nd string is not good enough to keep head above water.
    A huge season is needed from RB, Deegan, Molony and A Byrne imo.
    It's anyone's opportunity to stake a place. Hopefully Frawley can be an adequate 10.

I think you'll probably find that most domestic players in each region of the Celtic league will see more down time. Premiership players not so much nor top14 I'd imagine but that doesn't impact us.

I think Scarlets are not going to be as strong a team this year, Dragons will be better as will Edinburgh. Glasgow are on a downward trajectory and I reckon Treviso will be a handful this season. Cheetah's to be worse, Kings to be worse but I expect Connacht to be much more consistent and I think Ulster have a chance to turn things around. I reckon Munster will be the team to beat alongside Leinster. They've recruited very well and all fit have a quality 23.

We won't be resting anyone for Europe or knock outs so really it's just the league and given where the other teams are at I don't think we'll see much change to Leinster's fortunes, I'd be amazed if we aren't top 4 at seasons end and honestly I'd be surprised if we aren't top 2. We still have awesome depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I hope we'll see a lot of Caelan Doris In the opening weeks of the Pro 14. We've a lot of test quality backrows not due back until after the season begins. Plus a few who've retired or left the province. From what little I've seen of Doris last season and in the U20 World Cup I think he has the potential to be a star. Same goes for Max Deegan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement