Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

I think you'll probably find that most domestic players in each region of the Celtic league will see more down time. Premiership players not so much nor top14 I'd imagine but that doesn't impact us.

I think Scarlets are not going to be as strong a team this year, Dragons will be better as will Edinburgh. Glasgow are on a downward trajectory and I reckon Treviso will be a handful this season. Cheetah's to be worse, Kings to be worse but I expect Connacht to be much more consistent and I think Ulster have a chance to turn things around. I reckon Munster will be the team to beat alongside Leinster. They've recruited very well and all fit have a quality 23.

We won't be resting anyone for Europe or knock outs so really it's just the league and given where the other teams are at I don't think we'll see much change to Leinster's fortunes, I'd be amazed if we aren't top 4 at seasons end and honestly I'd be surprised if we aren't top 2. We still have awesome depth.

Glasgow are on a downward trajector

why do you think that ?

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    Glasgow are on a downward trajector

why do you think that ?

Probably more harshly phrased than I intended. I felt they peaked in 2015 under Townsend. They've lost Russell and a couple of other quality players and whilst I rate Rennie I think they are a team that struggle in knock out rugby and their signings have been a bit underwhelming.

I thought Edinburgh looked the better team at the tail end of last season and reckon it could be a bit of a rebuild / limbo year for Glasgow much like we had in 2015.

I'm not basing it on much, just the direction I feel they are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Probably more harshly phrased than I intended. I felt they peaked in 2015 under Townsend. They've lost Russell and a couple of other quality players and whilst I rate Rennie I think they are a team that struggle in knock out rugby and their signings have been a bit underwhelming.

I thought Edinburgh looked the better team at the tail end of last season and reckon it could be a bit of a rebuild / limbo year for Glasgow much like we had in 2015.

I'm not basing it on much, just the direction I feel they are going.

They definitely peaked with the final win over munster thst year. I think it's as much scarlets became a force and then leinster got their act together and raised the bar.

The league is improving with scarlets leinster munster and Glasgow all good sides. Edinburgh and hopefully a south African side / ulster and probably another Welsh team to improve this year. Could be a great competition

• Registered Users Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Glasgow don't have a strong enough pack to compete with the very best. We saw that in the group stages of the Champions Cup. Leinster utterly demolished them up front in both games.

Nakarawa made a huge difference in that pack. Very difficult to replace a world class player let alone one with such a unique skillset. He won the collisions and got the offloads away. Perfect for the way Glasgow played.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I said it around Christmas last year but I think Max Deegan will have a big breakout year this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Faugheen wrote: »
    I said it around Christmas last year but I think Max Deegan will have a big breakout year this year

He looks like he could be a top player alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭typhoony

I think you'll probably find that most domestic players in each region of the Celtic league will see more down time. Premiership players not so much nor top14 I'd imagine but that doesn't impact us.

I think Scarlets are not going to be as strong a team this year, Dragons will be better as will Edinburgh. Glasgow are on a downward trajectory and I reckon Treviso will be a handful this season. Cheetah's to be worse, Kings to be worse but I expect Connacht to be much more consistent and I think Ulster have a chance to turn things around. I reckon Munster will be the team to beat alongside Leinster. They've recruited very well and all fit have a quality 23.

We won't be resting anyone for Europe or knock outs so really it's just the league and given where the other teams are at I don't think we'll see much change to Leinster's fortunes, I'd be amazed if we aren't top 4 at seasons end and honestly I'd be surprised if we aren't top 2. We still have awesome depth.

The Cheetahs had 12 wins last season, coming into a new league and having to adapt to northern hemisphere rugby that was a good season for them. they've added 11 more players to their roster including some ex-bulls and ex-sharks players. Certainly don't think they'll do any worse and can see them winning a good few games again, probably more than last season

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

typhoony wrote: »
    The Cheetahs had 12 wins last season, coming into a new league and having to adapt to northern hemisphere rugby that was a good season for them. they've added 11 more players to their roster including some ex-bulls and ex-sharks players. Certainly don't think they'll do any worse and can see them winning a good few games again, probably more than last season

They also lost most of their best players from last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

typhoony wrote: »

They've been absolutely gutted this summer. All of their best performers including the only capped players they had have moved north. I think I counted it as around 11 or 12 of their first choice 23 have departed. They'll be doing very well to match their opening season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Their head coach left too, didn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Cheetahs signed 10 players, 4 called up from their Currie cup team, three from Japan, two from the French D2, and one from the Bulls.

Lost 11 players, which were all starters/regular players. There's not a chance they're anywhere near as competitive this season.

Should get a team announcement later. Any new faces to come back in?

I've been wondering how early we will see Ross Byrne. Whilst he didn't play in Australia he would have kept up his entire training routine most likely so whilst he'll be first of the internationals back he's still possibly a few weeks out.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow, Newcastle are a good outfit so potential for a bit of decent rugby.

Add in the RC on Saturday and it's not a bad weekend at all for this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Is the game on any medium? An aul Facebook broadcast or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Should get a team announcement later. Any new faces to come back in?

I've been wondering how early we will see Ross Byrne. Whilst he didn't play in Australia he would have kept up his entire training routine most likely so whilst he'll be first of the internationals back he's still possibly a few weeks out.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow, Newcastle are a good outfit so potential for a bit of decent rugby.

Add in the RC on Saturday and it's not a bad weekend at all for this time of year!

No RB, Frawley will play I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

ALL HAIL CAPTAIN FARDY OUR NEW OVERLORD
    Leinster Rugby

15. Dave Kearney
    14. Hugo Keenan
    13. Rory O’Loughlin
    12. Joe Tomane
    11. Barry Daly
    10. Ciarán Frawley
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    1. Ed Byrne
    2. James Tracy
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Scott Fardy CAPTAIN
    5. Mick Kearney
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Will Connors
    8. Caelan Doris

Replacements

Peter Dooley
    Bryan Byrne
    Vakh Abdaladze
    Ross Molony
    Ian Nagle
    Max Deegan
    Luke McGrath
    Jimmy O’Brien
    James Lowe
    Tom Daly
    Adam Byrne

Very interesting team. That back row is a lot of inexperience wrapped in layers of promise.

Looks like the coaches are more concerned with mid field back up than back three with Tomane / O'Loughlin being groomed as back up centre pairing.

Good to see Luke McGrath back in the frame. I thought he was brilliant last season and in particular at the tail end when he was clearly struggling through injury. He was in the thick of it all year and was abrasive in both attack and defence but picked up a lot of knocks as a result. Even in the final against Scarlets he took an elbow to the face for Conan's try.

Who goes to 10 if Frawley gets injured?

stephen_n wrote: »

Tom Daly?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Tom Daly?

Jimmy O'Brien played 10 with Newbridge, only moved to 12 when he joined the academy I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

€10 tickets available at the moment for Munster game in the Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

stephen_n wrote: »

Nagle....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,193 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

molloyjh wrote: »
    Nagle....

that would be fun to watch :)

Nagle....

The same people who derided Nagle at lock will be calling for him to play for Ireland at 10.

kc66 wrote: »
    €10 tickets available at the moment for Munster game in the Aviva.

Season ticket holder only I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Season ticket holder only I think

No, on Ticketmaster. Rubbish seats but f**k it, they're a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No, on Ticketmaster. Rubbish seats for f**k it, they're a tenner

Not available on general sale until Tuesday.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,193 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not available on general sale until Tuesday.

nah, i got some this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Had a look at the new jerseys. The alternative is awful and the home one is okay, but nothing more. The black training one is easily the best of the lot. If I was going to buy any, I'd buy that. But the last lot of Canterbury offerings were far superior IMO, luminous yellow aside.

Had a look at the new jerseys. The alternative is awful and the home one is okay, but nothing more. The black training one is easily the best of the lot. If I was going to buy any, I'd buy that. But the last lot of Canterbury offerings were far superior IMO, luminous yellow aside.

Bought the home jersey today. That black training jersey is a joke, it’s the exact same material as the blue training jersey, just costs €20 more.
    Nagle....

Was thinking we could throw Lowe in there for the craic, now that would be fun to watch :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sydthebeat wrote: »
    nah, i got some this morning

Yeah I clicked the link on the season ticket email and that worked fine. But trying to access on the regular site didn't work. Hmm...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement