Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

badtoro wrote: »
    What's the angle there? Are there state charges or other leverage which can be used against him?

Cohen investigation can bring Trump's house down if he had evidence, he was there for the (alleged) original Russian money laundering:
    https://www.wired.com/story/if-trump-is-laundering-russian-money-heres-how-it-works/

He's telling Trump that he'd rather cooperate that count on a pardon from someone who might be there much longer to grant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Leroy42 wrote: »
    He's awake and tweeting.

Starts off with a small joke. Good idea, warms up the crowd!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1032247043992023040

I wonder if he discussed that with his pal on Fox news who had the same lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

For someone who sees himself as a big, powerful leader, does he not realise that his tweets make him sound like a whingeing child?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭amandstu

strandroad wrote: »

He's telling Trump that he'd rather cooperate that count on a pardon from someone who might be there much longer to grant it.
    Would that be wise? Might we have Trump indefinitely ? (feels that way) I wonder if Trump has been negotiating his pardon through intermediaries over the past few weeks /months....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,536 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Pa8301 wrote: »
    For someone who sees himself as a big, powerful leader, does he not realise that his tweets make him sound like a whingeing child?

To you and me, but not to his base. To his base he is sticking it to the man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

amandstu wrote: »
    Would that be wise? Might we have Trump indefinitely ? (feels that way) I wonder if Trump has been negotiating his pardon through intermediaries over the past few weeks /months....

He called Trump a criminal, perhaps he's going for the unlikely hero turncoat angle. If he's so confident that he can bring the receipts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

What has just happened, Trump has given credit to others in his latest tweet regarding the deportation of the Nazi from New York

Wonder when the Cohen character assassination will start? (not just badmouthing ,concrete dishes of dirt...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Has there ever been a more unedifying period in US politics? It goes from bad to worse, then worse again.

While we watch with morbid fascination from abroad it is a tragedy for those who have to endure this daily debasement of their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,362 ✭✭✭✭Penn

kilns wrote: »
    What has just happened, Trump has given credit to others in his latest tweet regarding the deportation of the Nazi from New York

That's not how I read it. He's more saying "Others worked on it for decades... but I'm the one who got it done!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I have a theory and really just making it up as I go along. But might Muller be playing Trump into a corner here?

By all accounts Manafort isn't breaking and while a pardon might be a good thing for M'fort, it will mean that he cant keep his silence anymore, and be compelled to speak regarding the crimes hes committed, which likely are something Trump has a connection to. Might a Trump pardon be exactly what Muller is looking for?, and once that's done state charges get pressed anyway**

**Ive read on this thread that there is likely state charges pending

• Registered Users Posts: 14,088 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Has there ever been a more unedifying period in US politics? It goes from bad to worse, then worse again.

While we watch with morbid fascination from abroad it is a tragedy for those who have to endure this daily debasement of their country.

More of them should get out and vote so, it's an old cliche but you do generally get the government you deserve.

The Democrats suck at getting their vote out, the liberals are great for social media complaining and going after those who don't coform to every ideal but they are not great at elections. That's on them.

They also have crazy divisions where they decide they don't like a candidate in a twobhorse race in all but name and unlike Republicans who understand the bigger picture better it seems, they either don't vote at all in "protest" or vote for someone like Stein, a waste of a vote.

How many of those Sanders acolytes who couldn't bring themselves to vote for Clinton do you think actually consider themselves to be part of the problem? Id wager a very small percentage.

I'm fascinated by American politics, world politics in general really and the amount of times people make a stand on principle or to adhere to some higher moral ground despite knowing how much they weaken their overall strength is amazing. It's as if they are not aware the other side don't play by those rules, the winners write the tale. Look at the Supreme Court, look at the countless other times when common practise or the "right thing" is by passed out by the Republicans when they have the power.

I may not agree with a lot of their politics but they know how to get things done and they know who their adversary is. They fight like cats and dogs amongst themselves but they unite more of ten than not when it counts. Even when in opposition, Mitch proudly declaring how his number 1 job wasn't oppose the president at every turn, not do what's best for America, not his constituents, just lead the party of NO.

Sorry, I know I went off on a tangent there

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,536 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

More people voted for the DNC candidate in the last election that the GOP one!

Leroy42 wrote: »
    More people voted for the DNC candidate in the last election that the GOP one!

Yes and if the popular vote alone actually had tangible relevance to who was elected president that would matter. There are far more Democratic voters than Republicans in America.

I am not just talking about the presidential election though. All states, all levels.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

No wonder Trump supporters will follow him to the end, if you go onto the Fox News Site, you would have to dig to find news about Cohen

No wonder Trump supporters will follow him to the end, if you go onto the Fox News Site, you would have to dig to find news about Cohen

Yeah, it's hilarious they still get to call themselves a news organisation.

Or how they bang on about media not giving you the truth etc

The murder story really fell into their laps, the accused being an illegal immigrant and everything and they will run with that no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 19,182 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1032234148470181889

This might be useful to some posters in here that still support Trump.

I still hold fast on what I said a couple of months ago, I reckon Trump will be gone by Christmas.

The ostrich strategy still going strong :)

The ostrich strategy still going strong :)

Is the GOP gone as we knew it? All Trump related now? Can they only survive by crushing the opposition by fair means or foul?(how in heaven's name are they putting up with this otherwise?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,362 ✭✭✭✭Penn

amandstu wrote: »
    Is the GOP gone as we knew it? All Trump related now? Can they only survive by crushing the opposition by fair means or foul?

The trouble is, by this point they have lost the moral high ground. Considering all that they accused and blamed Obama for, and how obstructionist they were, the GOP have shown themselves as absolute hypocrites. And given what Trump has been doing and how they're standing behind him, they've also lost the high ground for the foreseeable future.

The issue is, their core supporters don't care. In a country where everyone pretty much nails their flag to the mast in terms of what party they support, the hardcore GOPers will remain as such, and the rest will largely just continue to vote GOP through gritted teeth until enough of the top guys have been replaced, or there's a new scandal (however minor) to attribute to the Dems.

So their support may wane by a few percentage points, but it'll never fall enough to ever take themselves out of the race completely.

The GOP isn't gone. But coming up to the mid-terms, they're definitely wounded. The Dems need to fight hard to capitalise in any tangible way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Patser wrote: »
    Yep, but his next one is all praise for Manafort for not breaking. Jaysus that's like something the Mafia would say. Well done on your loyalty not spilling the beans to the law! But this is from the President!! Well done on not cooperating with law enforcement! Jaysus.

Manafort I reckon expected to beat the rap, he has immense self confidence and with the expensive lawyers he expected he would be ok thus has given nothing on Trump. I think at the moment though now the reality of a jail sentence for a man who is 60 and lived the life he must be very tempted to offer something.

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1032234148470181889

This might be useful to some posters in here that still support Trump.

I still hold fast on what I said a couple of months ago, I reckon Trump will be gone by Christmas.

Think he survives until 2019, but not long into it. There is 5/1 out there (I think ) with some bookies that's the year he goes , might be the bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Their content about the convictions are woeful. effectively praising Manafort for not cooperating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭emo72

Trump could be unmasked as the grand Wizard of the KKK and his popularity would soar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Cohen's team have set up a legal fund for people to donate to to help through this terrible time and help him tell the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Cohen's team have set up a legal fund for people to donate to to help through this terrible time and help him tell the truth.
    Peter Strzok is closing in on half a million for his. Will Cohen come out with a book in due course?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,204 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Manfort's promoting of Russian interests go way back and involve other countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/22/paul-manafort-went-to-kyrgyzstan-to-strengthen-russias-position

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

The murder story really fell into their laps, the accused being an illegal immigrant and everything and they will run with that no matter what

Not so much 'fell into their laps', as they trawled through the bodies of hundreds of children before they found the murder that suited their agenda. Its disgusting.

There are hundreds of such tragic cases in the US every year, but because the vast majority of killers have US citizenship, Trump supporters feel they are unimportant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Peter Strzok is closing in on half a million for his. Will Cohen come out with a book in due course?

I wish this would stop. That's not a defense of Trump, but stop giving anyone you suspect of opposing him absurd money. Anyone who gave Strzok money is an absolute **** wit when you consider the more deserving causes out there.

FFS Surely these idiots can give it to the dems, not as if they don't need it this year:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well August 1974 doesn't seem to rank high on the classy periods of US political history from reading about it.

Lawrence o donnell(I think he's brilliant because he has a way of calling trump an idiot without actually doing it) played a clip of Lindsay graham speaking during the Clinton impeachment, about how you don't have to commit a crime to be impeached. And impeachment is about cleansing the office of president. Now of course he won't say that now obviously.

The GOP at least seemed to have a bit of spine in the past. It was the republicans who told nixon the game was up. He'd have kept going otherwise. He was happy once he had the support of congress. They told him he didn't and he went. Poor Gerald ford never lived it down at the election. The only Vice President and president I think who never was elected to either office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement