Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Woman's World Cup (London)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭munster87

Have Holland been hammering everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Despite the two semi-finals being competitive, and despite Ireland's defeated opponents Spain today beating Australia 3-1 - who the Dutch needed a shootout to beat - the revisionist narrative now is going to be that little, plucky Ireland were always going to be outmatched by the superior Dutch outfit.

It's a nice comforting story but it's nonsense. We choked on the big stage. Facts are facts. You don't need to be Roy Keane to realise there's nothing to take out of this performance. But sure let's sing the Fields of Athenry and give a hero's reception to a team that got thrashed. And people wonder why we don't reach World Cup Finals too often.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Despite the two semi-finals being competitive, and despite Ireland's defeated opponents Spain today beating Australia 3-1 - who the Dutch needed a shootout to beat - the revisionist narrative now is going to be that little, plucky Ireland were always going to be outmatched by the superior Dutch outfit.

It's a nice comforting story but it's nonsense. We choked on the big stage. Facts are facts. You don't need to be Roy Keane to realise there's nothing to take out of this performance. But sure let's sing the Fields of Athenry and give a hero's reception to a team that got thrashed. And people wonder why we don't reach World Cup Finals too often.

No more mister nice guy !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

munster87 wrote: »
    Mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

In 3 group games they scored 26 conceded 2. Their quarter and semi finals were close affairs

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

YFlyer wrote: »
    Should be this song.

Are Aqua not a Danish band?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

They scored 26 goals in the 3 group stage game

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDmYIvlKRx_sMnyUwhauTwDyTRT3aqY7GYfBKUjYhb0xRy6ByV3w

Care to explain and show these facts. We always were going to be outmatched. Dutch have only twice ever not been to a semi final. Sixth successive final. We didnt at all choke. We over achieved in getting to this level.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

How is it revisionist? Who said beforehand Ireland had a great chance of winning?

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDmYIvlKRx_sMnyUwhauTwDyTRT3aqY7GYfBKUjYhb0xRy6ByV3w

I love you :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The girls played as well was they could.
    There is a level of a difference between us and the Dutch.
    The Dutch have a record infinitely better than the All Blacks in rugby, a bit of perspective.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The Dutch have a record infinitely better than the All Blacks in rugby, a bit of perspective.
    Talking about perspective when using the phrase "infinitely better" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

https://twitter.com/Shane_RossTD/status/1026128829633490945?s=19

Anyone see the tweet from this clown. Fecking flute would be better off making sure this team was probably funded rather than blackmailing the government into the granny grant. He's some neck going to the match

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I don't know if I will ever again see an Irish team in a World Cup Final in anything.

An amazing achievement, hopefully they can build on this and qualify for the Olympics

Care to explain and show these facts. We always were going to be outmatched. Dutch have only twice ever not been to a semi final. Sixth successive final. We didnt at all choke. We over achieved in getting to this level.

In actual fact I believe the Dutch were the ones who had accusations of choking against them when they lost the Olympic final in Rio in a shootout.

https://twitter.com/Shane_RossTD/status/1026128829633490945?s=19

Anyone see the tweet from this clown. Fecking flute would be better off making sure this team was probably funded rather than blackmailing the government into the granny grant. He's some neck going to the match

Much the same as Charlie Haughey showing up on the victory podium on the Champs Elysees in 1987 when Stephen Roche won the Tour de France.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No disgrace at all to lose to them in that manner. That would have been the equivalent of Scotland against the All Blacks or Iceland against Brazil in a WC final. The Dutch would have beaten anyone in the tournament comfortably today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dutch team are paid professionals that train 6 days a week up to 3 times a day, have won nearly 60% of ALL the world cups, have all the top scores in the tournament, conceded only 3 goals when a few of their players have scored 30+ and it's a really popular sport with their youth but hey yeah Ireland did poorly with their players having to get funding from some random charity part of a software company and getting to the final, the first time Ireland have done so in any sport at the adult level. Italy lost 12-1 and are better rated than Ireland. Well done to them today and to keep fighting until the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Only 5 other countries have gotten to the final before, unreal effort by the girls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Well done on the silver medal Ireland Women Hockey Team

Great to see McFerran getting recognised with goalkeeper of the tournament

Great to see McFerran getting recognised with goalkeeper of the tournament

It's almost slightly forgotten how phenomenal she was in the two shoot outs....she played a huge part in getting Ireland through to the final

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's almost slightly forgotten how phenomenal she was in the two shoot outs....she played a huge part in getting Ireland through to the final

Won't be forgotten for very long I think, watching the afters on BT Sport now and the Irish team are being treated as winners

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Unreal how RTE did not show the winners getting the Trophy, typical, well done Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I don’t know much about hockey I’ll admit. Ireland were great. But you have to bear in mind it was amateurs, (and more or less self-funded at that) against full time professionals.
    Also, is it just me, or did George Hamilton appear to know little or nothing about the actual game of hockey at all?? Very little mention of rules or why fouls were given etc.? As I say, I don’t know much about the nuances of the game, but I think I could have done just as well as he did. Very bland commentary. Has RTE no one more clued in they could have sent?

Won't be forgotten for very long I think, watching the afters on BT Sport now and the Irish team are being treated as winners

Fully deserved too. We shouldn't be hung on today's scoreline (makes no difference whether you lose 1-0 or 6-0), the real story is what they achieved in the tournament. Those girls are history makers in Irish sport, the only team that can top that now is one which goes on to win a World Cup.

I don’t know much about hockey I’ll admit. Ireland were great. But you have to bear in mind it was amateurs, (and more or less self-funded at that) against full time professionals.
    Also, is it just me, or did George Hamilton appear to know little or nothing about the actual game of hockey at all?? Very little mention of rules or why fouls were given etc.? As I say, I don’t know much about the nuances of the game, but I think I could have done just as well as he did. Very bland commentary. Has RTE no one more clued in they could have sent?

Apparently not. I don't think he was sent anywhere by the way. As far as I know George and the other person on commentary duty with him were doing it from the RTE studio.

The Dutch have a better record in rugby than the All Blacks? News to me.

• Advertisement

Apparently not. I don't think he was sent anywhere by the way. As far as I know George and the other person on commentary duty with him were doing it from the RTE studio.
    Yeah certainly looked like it especially with some of the comments by George during the game.
    The Dutch have a better record in rugby than the All Blacks? News to me.
    :rolleyes: You got the point shamo was making. Dutch record in womens hockey is far better than NZs in rugby.

Advertisement