Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Woman's World Cup (London)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Surprised people are predicting Ireland will take a hammering. Yes, NL are a step above any team the Irish have played in this tournament but they have a very strong defence and don't give up chances easily.

If they're to lose it, I can see them keeping it to a 1-0 or 2-0.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The Dutch have been hammering better teams than Ireland in this tournament. Fatigue for amateurs must be a slight factor too. It's entirely possible it will be one-sided. It mightn't be, but it's not surprising people are predicting it

cdeb wrote: »
    The Dutch have been hammering better teams than Ireland in this tournament. Fatigue for amateurs must be a slight factor too. It's entirely possible it will be one-sided. It mightn't be, but it's not surprising people are predicting it

Normally a team in any sport with a good defence is a team with a good defence. Ireland wouldn't want to be conceding early though ie. going 1-0 down after five minutes, that's where the real danger of a hammering could lie.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

For sure. It's like Ireland under Jack Charlton in a way; built on not conceding and never really got thumped as a result.

But the amateur v best in the world by a considerable distance bit would worry you a little bit

A 5-0 defeat would be better than any of the Dutch group opponents managed, but might take some sheen off the overall achievement. But I hope it doesn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Biggest worry: In their last two games, against India and Spain, Ireland tired visibly in the second half and lost concentration. London temperature forecast: 28-29 at 4 p.m.

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    For sure. It's like Ireland under Jack Charlton in a way; built on not conceding and never really got thumped as a result.

But the amateur v best in the world by a considerable distance bit would worry you a little bit

A 5-0 defeat would be better than any of the Dutch group opponents managed, but might take some sheen off the overall achievement. But I hope it doesn't happen

It does look though like NL came through a very poor pool. The two other teams from their pool were both eliminated at the crossover stage, which would suggest it was the weakest pool of the four.

It's not unknown for a team to run riot in a WC final but fingers crossed it doesn't happen today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Yes, on RTE2 and BT Sport 3.

Don't see anything on RTE about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Should be coming on now after the hurling.

I see Ireland are 9/1 outsiders with the bookies which gives an indication of the task ahead. Team spirit can get a team some distance though and I doubt they’ll be found wanting on that front. Here’s hoping anyway.

Should be coming on now after the hurling.

I see Ireland are 9/1 outsiders with the bookies which gives an indication of the task ahead. Team spirit can get a team some distance though and I doubt they’ll be found wanting on that front. Here’s hoping anyway.

Nobody will mind if they lose to the hot favourites but hopefully they can acquit themselves well in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Strazdas wrote: »
    Nobody will mind if they lose to the hot favourites but hopefully they can acquit themselves well in the final.

Think the fact they reached the final is a fantastic achievement for them. Hopefully it'll also provide young girls a sport that they can look up to. As girls sports teams in soccer & rugby don't exist in large areas of the country. Even in GAA some areas may have only a couple of teams in varying age grades, which aren't as suitable for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Don't see anything on RTE about it?

4:05pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Strazdas wrote: »

Remember when we knocked the Dutch out of the 2002 football WC and it turned out afterwards that they’d already booked their finals accommodation and made all the arrangements. I’m hoping against hope for a repeat scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

My heart is racing already

Hockey isn't high on the royal family's duties it seems.

The tune of the Dutch national anthem sounds familiar. The tune I mean sounds familiar.

Irelands call. Utter rubbish. I mean fair enough there was a song needed for all island sports, but is this the best they could come up with ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great rendition, great to see the smiles on their faces!

ShamoBuc wrote: »

The gave it socks alright. Shame it's a poor song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

come on Ireland.

I dont think I ever watched more than 10 minutes of a hockey match before. But I'll watch all of this.

Holland are ****ing good. Hon Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Yeah, their attitude has been amazing from the start.

Never any signs of nerves, it generates huge confidence and they inspire each other to play to their best.

Good positive start : they're trying to take the game to the Dutch at every opportunity

Spoke too soon....that's what NL do though, can't fault the Irish effort at all though so far

Ah feck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Damn it - hopefully they keep their heads up because they were holding their own before the goal

Only problem with the goal is that it has settled Dutch nerves and their tails are up. Ireland still playing well within themselves though.

It's fantastic how much support this Irish team has. Even this thread had 30 posts after the group stages were over now it's at 207. Fantastic.

The Dutch are very good(well that's my assumption not being a hockey expert)

Only 1-0 is great to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

It's a good game. I'm enjoying it. They are defending well in fairness to them. I think they will work their way into this game the further it goes.

I hope.

• Advertisement

Mr_Man2121 wrote: »
    Only 1-0 is great to be fair

Ireland have actually defended extremely well, they've been very disciplined

Advertisement