Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Woman's World Cup (London)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,993 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

bobbyss wrote: »
    First and foremost best of luck to the team today. They make you proud!

I am not a hockey person at all as my lack of knowledge will testify soon enough. Football is my sport. I do have thoughts I would like to share especially with those who know more about it than me.

I am intrigued by the hockey as there are similarities between the two codes. Watching Holland play England was quite interesting as the pressure from Holland was quite intense. They reminded me of Man City in that regard.

The shootout was not a direct shot and I was wondering why? Would it not be more exciting instead of the possibility of a score being questioned or a shot being questioned like Ireland's last penalty against India?

If the pitch was widened or lengthened would that not increase skill levels all round because lack of speed, dribbling skills and passing shots, just as examples, would have to be improved on as players would be more exposed to these skills? For example, I noticed the winger (?) in hockey gets few chances to skin a defender so with a wider and longer pitch this is much more possible. Would it not also give the opportunity for a central midfielder (?) to impose him or herself on a game ?

I have never seen a football coach or manager cry during an interview as the English manager did after the loss to Holland. That's something that you won't see in football.

Looking at the profile of the players is a bit like rugby and completely different from football. The present hockey team is strongly middle class. Is it the same by and large, as other international hockey teams? Do India, Holland, England etc have solicitors, students and doctors in its panel as much as Ireland.

Finally, that penalty goal by I don't know which Irish player was an absolute peach. It was cheeky and impudent. What a temperament to do that under that pressure. A bit of a Pirlo.

In any event. Here's hoping it rains on Spain's parade.

Run in is about the skill on of a one to one, if the keeper fouls the attacker then a flick is awarded, think of it more as 5 one to ones compared to pens like football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Another run in shoot out.

any where to watch?

Over now was on BT Sport

Final will be
    Netherlands V Ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Holland won 3-1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Absolutely. No shortage of them either with Katie, Sarah Healy and other under age athletes and the incredible Rachel Blackmore currently leading the Irish jump jockeys championship.

Yes, the underage female athletes are doing fantastically - Sarah Healy and the 4 x 100m girls and the high jumper, the level they are medalling at is incredible.....some of those young sprinters like Rhadisat and Patience are only 15 years old.

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    Holland won 3-1

(In the penalty shoot out). Probably no bad thing it went to penalties, that late equaliser must have rattled the Dutch a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was very exciting and a great win for Ireland. Must give credit to the Spanish player for the lobbed goal when all the pressure was on to level it up. That took some nerve.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

There won't be a cow milked for a week in Sandymount...:):)

Strazdas wrote: »
    (In the penalty shoot out). Probably no bad thing it went to penalties, that late equaliser must have rattled the Dutch a bit.

Reading tonight that it's not called a 'penalty shootout' in hockey, just a shootout and the teams don't take 'penalties', the scores are simply goals. I stand corrected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

hi folks

another band-wagoner here with a few questions,

1. is the dutch fully pro?

2. is there offside in hockey?

3. will Ireland automatically qualify for the Olympics after this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

When they take a penalty they have eight seconds to take it I believe? But the opposite team can dispute that if they think a player took more than eight seconds. They stop and check with someone. Why isn't there a clock visible to all and on screen so there is no need to check as we can all see it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

When they take a penalty they have eight seconds to take it I believe? But the opposite team can dispute that if they think a player took more than eight seconds. They stop and check with someone. Why isn't there a clock visible to all and on screen so there is no need to check as we can all see it?

I guess even if there was a clock it would still be open to dispute and need to be checked to be exact

fryup wrote: »
    hi folks

another band-wagoner here with a few questions,

1. is the dutch fully pro?

3. will Ireland automatically qualify for the Olympics after this?

Dutch would have a high level league system and would be all pros, Ireland have some players who play in Europe but one of those is just coming back after 18 months out injured.

There is no offside but you can only score from inside the D, the semi circle inside in front of the goal.

No only the winners of each continents championship next year will automatically qualify for the Olympic there is also a qualifying tournament that will be played after all regi9n chmpi9nships are over. There is only 12 teams at the next olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

hi folks

There was offside in hockey up to some years ago but since the offside rule was done away with hockey has become a much more open and faster game.

Do I get the feeling Ireland will be hammered today?
    Did the draw open up for us just as in football it opened up for England in the football World Cup?
    We did not really play a powerhouse yet. We played and lost against England in a dead rubber.

How come the final is being played one day after a semi final?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I’m no expert but seems to me any luck they got with the draw would be a very small part of the story. The reality is they were drawn in a tough group which included England, India and USA and they finished top, losing a tight game they didn’t need to win. Then they beat India again with authority and beat Spain who had beaten fancied Germany. Where does luck come into that?

They’re underdogs today for sure, looking forward to it with no fear or expectation, just enjoy it.

i think so too, unfortunately

the dutch score 26 goals in the group stage alone, whereas we scored 4 :o

*if we get within one or two goals of Holland it would be an admiral achievement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I’m no expert but seems to me any luck they got with the draw would be a very small part of the story. The reality is they were drawn in a tough group which included England, India and USA and they finished top, losing a tight game they didn’t need to win. Then they beat India again with authority and beat Spain who had beaten fancied Germany. Where does luck come into that?

Apart from England - who they lost (narrowly) to in a dead game - they haven't played anyone higher than seventh in the rankings: http://www.fih.ch/rankings/outdoor/. The rankings seem to show a big drop between sixth and seventh too. Their knock-out opponents were ranked tenth and eleventh. That's a relatively handy draw to get you to a World Cup Final.

I also don't think you can say they beat India "with authority" when they beat them on penalties.

None of that is their fault of course; you can only beat (draw with?) what's in front of you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yeah that’s fair enough. But it’s not exactly all pot luck either as avoiding the big guns was a consequence of topping the group, a reward. If they’d finished second they’d have likely met the Netherlands next, a fate that befell England instead.

Anyway they won’t be world champions without having faced the best so just looking forward to seeing what happens and savoring the achievement whatever result transpires.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Did the draw open up for us just as in football it opened up for England in the football World Cup?
    We did not really play a powerhouse yet. We played and lost against England in a dead rubber.

How come the final is being played one day after a semi final?

It`s just the way international hockey tournaments are scheduled. Short recovery times between matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

No matter how this turns out or who they played, this is close to being the greatest achievements in Irish sport. And I usually tend to be cynical.

It`s just the way international hockey tournaments are scheduled. Short recovery times between matches.

Seems strange.
    Why not have next day games at group stages or quarter final stage rather than semi and final?

Apart from all of that, and as a football supporter, I think it is so refreshing that there is no simulation, no diving no cynicism.

It makes the Premier League seem dirty and unsporting.

a match lasts for 1 hour split into 4 quarters with breaks in between, compared to football 90mins with one break

correct me if i'm wrong but i wouldn't think it'll be as physically demanding as say football & rugby

(still a tough sport though)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Is it being shown on TV?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Is it being shown on TV?

Yes, on RTE2 and BT Sport 3.

a match lasts for 1 hour split into 4 quarters with breaks in between, compared to football 90mins with one break

correct me if i'm wrong but i wouldn't think it'll be as physically demanding as say football & rugby

(still a tough sport though)

It is as tough as football lots more running shorter sprints and such.

There is 4 quarters at this level because it is hard to keep that intensity up for 35 mins half’s which it is in senior leagues in Ireland.

15 min quarter win 90 seconds break between quarter 1&2 and 3@4 with a 5 minute half time

It does have rolling unlimited subs so that helps

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Netherlands will win easy but it's still an amazing achievement.

It does have rolling unlimited subs so that helps

Are players ever sent off? ie red carded and not allowed back?

i reckon 7 -1 Holland

• Advertisement

Are players ever sent off? ie red carded and not allowed back?

Yes there are 3 types of cards

Green - 2 mins in then sin bin this is usually for either minor things such as talking back or intentionally playing the ball after the whistle when it stops the other team taking a free hit. If the player tries to tackle the player who takes the free hit to themselves and then all has not moved or the player has not moved more than 5meters is usually green too

Yellow - 5 to 10 mins in the sin bin is usually similarly to the green card but if the umpire thinks it’s more serious than a green card like doing it inside the 23.

Like football 2 yellows make a red and red can be given for serious foul play like swinging a stick at someone on purpose.

Penalty corners can be awarded for any deliberate act inside the 23 not just inside the D

Advertisement