Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looking at that Kwon Alexander deal, Mosley will most likely command about $14m-$15m per year.

Someone will pay it, but I’d be happy enough for the Ravens to let him walk at that rate.

He’s not THAT good!

Could be a big rebuild on the defense this year with Weddle and Suggs gone and Mosley potentially off too. While Weddle and Suggs’ production had slowed down, that’s a lot of leadership and locker room presence heading out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

https://twitter.com/nflfilmstudy/status/1105316479115948034?s=21

Man, I really want him with the Giants. He grew up a fan too.

Honeybadger 3 years 42m to Chiefs.

Devin Funchess 1 year 13m to Colts. Thats outrageous money for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

The Honey Badger & Eric Berry a Nightmare in the secondary #chiefskingdom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭letowski

Rapoport has CJ Mosley linked to the Jets, 5y/$85m and $51m guaranteed. $17m per year. Rich.

Confirmed by Schefter.

Also, Bengals gave Bobby Hart 3 years 21m. ****ing imbeciles :pac:

letowski wrote: »
    Rapoport has CJ Mosley linked to the Jets, 5y/$85m and $51m guaranteed. $17m per year. Rich.

Jesus, that’s an awful deal for the Jets to give out to an MLB, IMO. I was wanting the Ravens to walk away at the $14m mark :eek:

Don’t get me wrong, I like Mosley, but he’s simply not an elite player and has big issues in coverage.

Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Packers apparently signing Amos and Za'Darius Smith. Nice pickups in areas of need but going by the rest of the market it'll likely look like more overpaying

Ravens defense shedding a lot of talent though. Could put a lot more pressure on Jackson next year

The Honey Badger & Eric Berry a Nightmare in the secondary #chiefskingdom

Talk that they might cut Berry. Hard to justify paying 2 safeties that sort of money, especially when one is consistently injured.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »

Cap in 2002 was $71m while it is $188m for 2019. That's around a 165% increase in cap space and a smaller % increase in top player salary for the position.

If you look at the increase over the last 17 years in how much the teams now earn and how much the teams have increased in value, the players are in general still not getting nearly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

After signing Justin Coleman the Lions now have three cousins who went to the same high school in Coleman, Slay and Tracy Walker.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Packers making some decent signings today but they likely overpaid big time for Amos given the way safeties are getting paid this year.

I wonder what the Bears are clearing cap space for. Added another $11m in cap today by converting Mack's salary to a bonus. There's around $25m free now plus it looks like Chase Daniel has restructured which will add a little more.

Someone on the Bears forum said he'll get a tattoo of the forum's choosing if it's Bell because he is so sure it won't be. The popular choice seems to be a Cody Parkey tat so I hope it is Bell just to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Preston Smith to the Packers now too, they're really going all in today

Looking like an average of 13m a year for Preston and $15-17m a year for Smith.

With those numbers it is starting to look like Flowers is as close to a bargain as we've seen so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Two middling players for a lot more than they're worth. But that's the NFL now and at least middling is still a big upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

with nick perry being released and matthew restructuring or being cut, gute had to take action. I still think we will draft a edge rusher at 12 aswell. Amos is a great signing, our safety play was horrendous last year.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Cap in 2002 was $71m while it is $188m for 2019. That's around a 165% increase in cap space and a smaller % increase in top player salary for the position.

If you look at the increase over the last 17 years in how much the teams now earn and how much the teams have increased in value, the players are in general still not getting nearly enough.

Agreed.

I wonder how much more the owners are pocketing!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I dont really have to much of an issue with the Jets handing out these massive deals, they've had a bucket load of money for the last two years they might as well spend it at some point! Also the way I look at it they've got Darnold on a rookie deal for the next four years, so at the minute thats definitely the window the GM will be looking at

Apparently Barr is staying with Vikings now.

Bell to Jets for around 17m a year is the current rumour.

Knex. wrote: »
    Apparently Barr is staying with Vikings now.

Bell to Jets for around 17m a year is the current rumour.

Officially to the Raiders now apparently.

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkBarry/status/1105518566936399882?s=19

Fake account

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Fake account

Ah. I'd seen it in a Google search after I'd seen Gbaja Biamila hinting about it also.

I'd even been suspicious of the money being too low but still never checked for the blue tick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

The FA money has gone crackers - Billy Turner - a back-up guard on a poor Broncos OL - getting $28million over 4 years from the Packers with $11 million in the first year. Turner earned $2million with the Broncos last year with only $750K guaranteed when he signed the one year deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26237460/sources-packers-add-2-pass-rushers-db-d?platform=amp

Za'Darius Smith will sign a four-year contract worth $66 million, including a $20 million signing bonus and $34.5 million in the first two years of the deal, according to his agents at SportsTrust Advisors.

Preston Smith will get a four-year deal worth $52 million, with $16 million fully guaranteed at signing, sources told ESPN's Josina Anderson. Smith's choices came down to the Indianapolis Colts and Packers, a source said.

Amos is slated to get a four-year, $37 million deal, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. He will earn $14 million in the first year and $21 million in the first two combined.

---
    Flowers and Barr were my top two olbs for pettines system, but zadarius was probably third. Very happy all in all, and gives a lot of flexibility in the draft.

This likely means cobb, Matthews and Perry all gone. Still hoping we get Matthews back but only if very cheap, he's way beyond his best but can still offer a good deal rotating in on all four lb spots (Pettine loves smoke and mirrors after all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The FA money has gone crackers - Billy Turner - a back-up guard on a poor Broncos OL - getting $28million over 4 years from the Packers with $11 million in the first year. Turner earned $2million with the Broncos last year with only $750K guaranteed when he signed the one year deal.
    This one I'm not so mad on. Not familiar with turner but a rookie and cheap journeyman stopgap at rg would have been the best route imo. Not sure how we squeeze all of these signings under the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,859 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can see this being a quiet year for the Patriots. Draft and hope to be in a good position next season. There is no chance they are getting heavily involved in this crazy free agency war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can see this being a quiet year for the Patriots. Draft and hope to be in a good position next season. There is no chance they are getting heavily involved in this crazy free agency war.

Bill's nice and relaxed anyway

https://twitter.com/DonteStallworth/status/1105502143207874560

Advertisement