Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,046 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can see this being a quiet year for the Patriots. Draft and hope to be in a good position next season. There is no chance they are getting heavily involved in this crazy free agency war.

Do they have the space to do anything significant at this point even if they wanted to?

They already made a trade for Bennett which isn't taken into account in the most current cap numbers and he is looking for more money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Texans sign Bradley Roby CB - 1 Yr - $10million

The Broncos and Texans swap CBs - Jackson for Roby - I will take Jackson all day for the extra $1million next season.

Panthers signed former Broncos C, Matt Paradis - 3 YR - $27million - with $11.5million in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Panthers signed former Broncos C, Matt Paradis - 3 YR - $27million - with $11.5million in first year.

Sorry to see him go. The one excellent player we had on the line the last few years, and looking at some of the other deals splashed about, that doesn't seem mind boggling, puts him in the top third of starting centers wage-wise, well deserved.

Billy Turner though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Was hoping the Jets would have got him, no confidence in them building the o-line through the draft

• Advertisement

Sorry to see him go. The one excellent player we had on the line the last few years, and looking at some of the other deals splashed about, that doesn't seem mind boggling, puts him in the top third of starting centers wage-wise, well deserved.

Apparently the Broncos were a little concerned with his recovery from his leg break. They offered a one year deal - not surprising he took the longer deal with more money from the Panthers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,694 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Do they have the space to do anything significant at this point even if they wanted to?

They already made a trade for Bennett which isn't taken into account in the most current cap numbers and he is looking for more money
    Somewhere in the 16-17.5m range after Bennett.

Might be incredibly premature posting this but crazy if true:

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1105618601007083521

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

OMG!

I'm a Brown's fan. I don't know whether to freak out or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Holy moly, some move! I didn't think I'd see Eli outstay OBJ

• Advertisement

It's not as much as I thought, cant believe the Giants did it

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1105619933583548416

It's not as much as I thought, cant believe the Giants did it

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1105619933583548416

Peppers is an excellent prospect and disappointed to lose him but you've got to do that deal.

Look at this offence:

Baker Mayfield
    Nick Chubb
    Kareem Hunt
    Odell Beckham Jr
    Jarvis Landry
    David Njoku

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Browns are going to be brilliant to watch next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So the browns are clearly saying enough for the crap performance for the part 20 Years since they came back. Well barker will have some nice weapons to throw to next season.

The Browns are going to be brilliant to watch next year.

The odds from the desert on the browns making the playoffs next season will shorten big time.

VillaMad wrote: »
    Peppers is an excellent prospect and disappointed to lose him but you've got to do that deal.

Look at this offence:

Baker Mayfield
    Nick Chubb
    Kareem Hunt
    Odell Beckham Jr
    Jarvis Landry
    David Njoku

Definitely. They have their window now with Baker and should make the most of it. Disappointed the 49ers couldn't come up with a deal for him. Presume they wouldn't give up their #2 pick which took them out of it.

Even with Peppers being a good talent, WTF are the Giants doing? They have no clear plan at all.

What would have the odds been early last season for both OBJ and Brown to be traded before the 2019 season has even started?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You'll be replacing your QB very soon and you trade away your superstar WR?

If you really want OBJ out of there, you have to get at least close to the Mack trade. I don't know too much about Peppers mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Blut2

Wow. The Browns are going to be great to watch next season.

The Giants have to be planning to tank next season while they wait out Eli now so. I wonder if they'll trade up to guarantee a top QB pick - doing so to get Dwayne Haskins would probably be a good bet. Could then let him develop for a season, or else phase him in in the second half of this season.

If you really want OBJ out of there, you have to get at least close to the Mack trade. I don't know too much about Peppers mind.

Kim jones on NFL network has said it's clearly a sign that the giants are full in tear down and rebuild mode. She also said that the giants GM said he'd never trade talent. Well she says that's clearly not true now.

Also, joe Thomas the browns legend made an interesting point in that the browns traded for DT sheldon Richardson earlier today and the expectation was the browns would use their first round pick they used to have on a DT, and by trading for a DT air freed up the first round pick.

Also, dee ford is potentially on his way to the 49ers according to Ian rappaport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A supreme wide reciever but he is bad news. Add Kareem Hunt to the mix and you have got Brownsesque meltdown. They might as well get Josh Gordon back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

That's going to be some locker room if they don't get off to a fast start. I'm always a bit wary of these dream teams....they rarely seem to work out in the NFL.

I also think spending on WRs is a waste of resources. I never thought OBJ would swap New York for Cleveland, just didn't seem his style.

But, yeah, the Browns have some serious potential for the next few years.

Or trade him last year before you pay him and are left with huge dead cap. It is not like this type of deal wouldn't have been available then. They're practically giving him away.

If you're going full tank and rebuild it might make some sense but then they went and picked a RB at #2.

Delighted to see OBJ out of there and playing with a young exciting QB and team but have to feel sorry for Barkley. Going to waste prime years of his talent and get run into the ground.

A supreme wide reciever but he is bad news. Add Kareem Hunt to the mix and you have got Brownsesque meltdown. They might as well get Josh Gordon back.

How is he bad news? He needs to do a better job of keeping his emotions in check but you see similar from a lot of the top players in the league and nothing is said. He was playing with absolute muck in Eli for the last few years who would drive anyone mad.

Feel he was treated terribly by a section of NY media and Giants fanbase. Hope they look back when they see what he does with the Browns and regret it.

How is he bad news? He needs to do a better job of keeping his emotions in check but you see similar from a lot of the top players in the league and nothing is said. He was playing with absolute muck in Eli for the last few years who would drive anyone mad.

Feel he was treated terribly by a section of NY media and Giants fanbase. Hope they look back when they see what he does with the Browns and regret it.

Also counter into the mix that he is really great friends with Jarvis Landry as they played together at LSU and train together in the off-season, so that will help the Browns too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Browns building their version of Real Madrid's Galactico era, in Cleveland. Very nice trade for them and you really have to question the strategy of the Giants.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Talk is also that the Browns may land Earl Thomas.
    Dorsey is really trying to turn things round quick up there.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/1105643862981267456

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Browns building their version of Real Madrid's Galactico era, in Cleveland. Very nice trade for them and you really have to question the strategy of the Giants.

Watch it all backfire now.

These offseasons where a team makes big splashes in FA often goes wrong.

I'll most definitely take the under on whatever win total Vegas comes back with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That's an awful steep price for Beckham, especially for a player that always seems one mood swing from being a passenger.

_

Advertisement