Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Woeful trade from the Giants point of view but things are looking really promising for the Browns.

Gettleman strongly putting his name in the hat for the worst GM in NFL history title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I feel sorry for Barkley right now.

He showed potential last season to become the leagues top back.
    He's going to be facing loaded boxes without any decent blocking...for his sake I hope they trade him....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Watch it all backfire now.

These offseasons where a team makes big splashes in FA often goes wrong.

I'll most definitely take the under on whatever win total Vegas comes back with.

The Rams just got to a Superbowl doing it. It's very much the in vogue strategy to get as much talent as possible while your QB is on a rookie deal.

I preferred it when the Browns were crap. :(

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Paully D wrote: »
    I preferred it when the Browns were crap. :(

:pac:
    They might still be (albeit unlikely).
    They have the talent, but now need to perform and click as a group.
    This is the year that the Browns really would have been a good candidate for Hard Knocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm shocked tbh. I assumed it was all bull**** rumours.

I'm hours behind here but just seeing the Le'Veon Bell deal.

Jets - $52m over 4 years. Very little difference in the guaranteed money the Steelers offered either.

Last September the Steelers reportedly offered him $48m over 3 years. He also left $14m on the table after refusing to play under the tag again last season.

I think it's fair to say he gambled and lost, fairly heavily too. He and his agent seemingly overestimated his market value by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I'm hours behind here but just seeing the Le'Veon Bell deal.

Jets - $52m over 4 years. Very little difference in the guaranteed money the Steelers offered either.

Last September the Steelers reportedly offered him $48m over 3 years. He also left $14m on the table after refusing to play under the tag again last season.

I think it's fair to say he gambled and lost, fairly heavily too. He and his agent seemingly overestimated his market value by a long shot.

He got an additional €2m guaranteed by the looks of it, and was lucky to get it if reports are to be believed as the Jets were the only team left talking to him.

Sitting out last year looks like a terrible decision that benefitted nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭boccy23

He got an additional €2m guaranteed by the looks of it, and was lucky to get it if reports are to be believed as the Jets were the only reason left talking to him.

Yeah, but he's down the $14.5M or $906,250 per game week from last year.

boccy23 wrote: »

Oh yeah it cost him a fortune. He should have signed the Steelers very fair offer last year.

Steelers are probably delighted he didn’t because they’d be screwed now with the Brown dead cap hit, and they have Conner who was very good when healthy last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

COME ON EARL...

COME TO THE FACTORY AND TASTE THE SADNESS.

Not having people saying Beckham is bad news or the trade was steep(There's a few).

How can you not be excited to be a Browns fan.

Although things are going too well right now. Fully expecting a video of Baker slapping around his missus whilst Hunt is standing there watching to surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

boccy23 wrote: »
    He got an additional €2m guaranteed by the looks of it, and was lucky to get it if reports are to be believed as the Jets were the only reason left talking to him.

Sure it cost him last year but given he was going to be driven into the ground during that season it is likely he would not have gotten a good contract this year. Even worse there was a real chance he would pick up and injury with the tag.

However it seems likely he lost some money on this. You pays your money and you takes your chances. I have no issue with someone trying to find what they are worth on the open market.

This was the only way he would find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well bell holding out last season seems a bad move in hindsight. All that unnecessary off the field distraction and he lost whatever the franchise tag was and got maybe $2 million more. Say what you want about AB but at least he bothered his ass to play last season. Maybe he assumed that the back-up james Connor wouldn't play and the Steelers would come crawling back. Well jokes on Bell now isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I liked the headline on Deadspin, “Le’Veon Bell continues self-imposed NFL exile by signing with the Jets”.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well bell holding out last season seems a bad move in hindsight. All that unnecessary off the field distraction and he lost whatever the franchise tag was and got maybe $2 million more. Say what you want about AB but at least he bothered his ass to play last season. Maybe he assumed that the back-up james Connor wouldn't play and the Steelers would come crawling back. Well jokes on Bell now isn't it.

He probably would have gotten what he wanted last year if the Steelers hadn’t tagged him. His view was that he should be paid as both a back and receiver. Nobody buying it this time around.

I’d worry about his discipline now he has his money personally. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him banned again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That narrative that the Steelers offered Bell $33m in guaranteed money was proved to be absolute crap and I’m surprised it is still being peddled. The only fully guaranteed piece of that contract offer was the signing bonus of $10m and the rest was rolling.

I’m fine with people arguing that sitting out was the wrong decision but please use actual contract details rather than the narrative the Steelers leaked to make themselves look like the good guys.

It is hard to really argue either way until the full details of the Jets deal comes out later today.

Redskins releasing Zach Brown.

He’d make a lot of sense for the Ravens.

• Advertisement

Why are they doing that? He's a fantastic player and only signed a contract last year. Would love him with the Giants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Knex. wrote: »
    Why are they doing that?.

Like a lot of teams, cap space.

Ravens get Earl Thomas. Disappointed the 49ers didn't go there but looks like it is heavily front loaded which is a bit worrying with his recent injury history. Could end up being a steal if he can bounce back and performs for the length of the deal

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1105864566473396225

Ravens follow up quickly by signing Ingram

Earl Thomas - woohoo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Gonna enjoy skip Bayless freaking out over that ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Watch it all backfire now.

These offseasons where a team makes big splashes in FA often goes wrong.

I'll most definitely take the under on whatever win total Vegas comes back with.

Often, but far from always - just look at last year's Rams as a example. I wouldn't go calling them dead certs to win 10+ either granted (mostly because being being the browns, Mayfield will now probably retire to become a Buddhist monk in week 3 of the preseason) but Dorsey knows how to put a team together so I would be more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt at present.

Love the Thomas acquisition from a schematic point of view too.

It allows Jefferson to spend more time playing downhill and in the box where he’s more effective.

Really excited and happy with this signing :)

Love the Thomas acquisition from a schematic point of view too.

It allows Jefferson to spend more time playing downhill and in the box where he’s more effective.

Really excited and happy with this signing :)

How do you feel about the cost? I know everyone is overpaying but $22m in the first 9 months looks a lot given his history.

Do you have a lot of cap space coming off letting all those guys go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭billr67

Foxtrol wrote: »
    That narrative that the Steelers offered Bell $33m in guaranteed money was proved to be absolute crap and I’m surprised it is still being peddled. The only fully guaranteed piece of that contract offer was the signing bonus of $10m and the rest was rolling.

I’m fine with people arguing that sitting out was the wrong decision but please use actual contract details rather than the narrative the Steelers leaked to make themselves look like the good guys.

It is hard to really argue either way until the full details of the Jets deal comes out later today.

Bell should fire his agent instantly and in this case the Steelers are the good guys. Bell over the run of his entire contract would have made far more with the Steelers and this piddling narative that guaranteed money was the issue is just getting old at this stage. That is the way the Steelers do contracts and they always come through. Once you sign your deal they front load your money each season into bonuses as that's just the way they work their cap.

They don't cut players mid way through second contracts even after injury so just because you don't get a lot of guarentees means nothing when it comes to the Steelers because they will always do right by their players. So for 17.5 million less over the lifetime of a contract he got a year on the beach and a move to a team that are 3 years from being a contender, as I said fire your agent now!

I'm far more worried about the Brown situation as I really feel he's psychologically damaged the Front Office he took all of their trust and manufactured an exit that left us with 20 million in dead cap this year that could hurt the way the Steelers negotiate with other players as all of the trust that they had built up in this "you do right by us and we'll do right by you" has been shattered.

Advertisement