Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yes, Happy Christmas to all. It's a great forum because of all the excellent posters we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Agreed, I like the forum, and hope you all have a good break.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Happy Christmas all!

---

99 TD returns count as weird and wacky? Right?

Please god let this be the end of VJ's reign of terror?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Said a few weeks ago that the only thing that could make this season worse for the Raiders is a couple of pointless wins to drop their draft positon.

That win last night takes them from #2 and a chance of #1 in the last week, down to #4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Paully D wrote: »
    Said a few weeks ago that the only thing that could make this season worse for the Raiders is a couple of pointless wins to drop their draft positon.

That win last night takes them from #2 and a chance of #1 in the last week, down to #4.

With all the picks they've stockpiled you'd think they'll still be able to select a few decent players. Although Grudens scouting ability seems dubious these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Arizona have the first pick wrapped up by the looks of it. They go to Seattle in week 17, there's no chance of a win there imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I didn't want to start a new thread but lads merry Christmas and New Year to all on this forum that covers the NFL in such a good way.
    Wanted to echo this, happy Christmas lads, it's a great community to be a part of, and I always learn something on here, or at the very least always enjoy the arguments. I look forward to many more during the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wanted to echo this, happy Christmas lads, it's a great community to be a part of, and I always learn something on here, or at the very least always enjoy the arguments. I look forward to many more during the playoffs.

Subtle reminder that the bears are in the playoffs. And if things go right for the eagles next weekend then the eagles might be playing the bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I hope so. Bad memories of the last time we had to play a division rival in a playoff means I hope we put the Vikings away this weekend. However if the Rams already have the two seed put away during the early slate I'd expect to see lots of snaps for Chase Daniel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Rams are playing late now so both games will be on at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Justin Herbert not declaring this year.
    He is massively overrated imo. I fell into the trap early last year but then got yo see him under pressure a couple of times and he didn't look good or make good decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Justin Herbert not declaring this year.

Probably the best for if he is going to make it long term but it will likely cost him money in his rookie deal, as I don't think he'll go as high next year with the talent due to come out.

Presume Haskins will have to declare now and it'll be interesting to see if there is a bigger bidding war between the QB needy teams to move up for him.

If Haskins comes out I think it'll create a bit of trading up in the draft. The first five teams at the present moment don't need a QB. You have the Bucs at 6, the Giants at 8, Jags at 9, Broncos at 12, Dolphins at 15 and the Redskins at 16 who will be the main players in the QB arena.

You'd think one of them has to jump into the top five and the higher the better to get Haskins. There are three premium players at the very top of the draft in Bosa, Oliver and Williams. The team that is in the best shape at the top of the draft in those positions is the Cardinals who have the first pick as things stand.

They need offensive line help badly and there is nobody worth taking at the top of the draft for that position. Well there is but you'd likely get him lower down when you look at the teams behind you. The 49ers will definitely go for Bosa, the Jets need a DT badly and the Raiders will surely be looking to replace Khalil Mack.

I see the Bucs and Giants getting into a battle for the no.1 pick as it suits the Cards to move to either spot. Besides QB the Bucs are all about defense in this draft imo.

I expect one of these two teams to end up with the no.1 pick and then the Cards take Jonah Wiliams at no. 5 or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

Reports coming out the Jags are voiding Leonard Fournette's contract. Pretty huge news considering he was that key piece they wanted to be a physical hard running offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Rumours around the league that multiple teams are looking to trade for John Harbuagh. Rumours started with the Broncos, then the Dolphins and now the Bucs.

Baltimore are reputed to be asking for a minimum of two first round picks plus other picks for Harbaugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Fournette was a waste of a pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Why do teams sack their head coach with an hour of the week 17 game ending? Sure if it’s a road game you may as well tell the guy to sort out his own flight

When the head coach is fired that means most of his assistants will go too.

I just think it can all wait for Black Monday after everyone is back in the facility. Everyone knows it coming and it doesn’t need to be done right after a game

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭billr67

Can I jump in on that too, speculation instantly also starts around coordinators who are currently contracted to play off bound teams. Look at last season with the Patriots and Eagles both back rooms were filleted before the final had even taken place. Can't make preparation very easy.

Wait what's this trade for John harbaugh reports about ? Didn't the Ravens put out a statement saying he'd be back next year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I think it’s nonsense

Yes the franchise released a statement last week that they would extend his deal which ends after the end of next season

It hasn’t been done yet but the season is ongoing so there is looooads of time yet

It’s even possible Harbaughs agent leaked the story to drive up his salary. Harbaugh is from Ohio so the media will make a link off that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,180 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That looks on the surface a good move. Although who's going to time rich eisen running at the combine now ? Or tipping picks on draft night ?

Rumours around the league that multiple teams are looking to trade for John Harbuagh. Rumours started with the Broncos, then the Dolphins and now the Bucs.

Baltimore are reputed to be asking for a minimum of two first round picks plus other picks for Harbaugh.

2 first round picks plus other picks for a coach with one year left on his contract? I cant see any truth in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,180 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That looks on the surface a good move. Although who's going to time rich eisen running at the combine now ? Or tipping picks on draft night ?

I'd be surprised if he's anything more than a scout for them. Gruden is still making all the calls for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Foxtrol wrote: »
    2 first round picks plus other picks for a coach with one year left on his contract? I cant see any truth in that.

It's the off-season for 20 NFL teams and their beat reporters still have columns to write.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thank **** we’ll no longer have to listen to Mayock spoiling draft picks any more, although I will miss his pre-draft coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,826 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Steve Wilks telling reporters he’s been fired by the Cards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Vance Joseph gone at the Broncos.

• Advertisement

Looks like Davis is trying to put together more of a TV panel than a functional franchise.

Mayock does make sense for Gruden as he'll control scouting and some media while Gruden makes all the decisions.

For the Raiders in general I think it is a terrible choice. Gruden seems to be pretty archaic in his thinking and Mayock is right in line with this rather than someone who could supplement Gruden where he is weak. Mayock also lacks front office experience so he'll be learning as he goes with a team that has to get their direction right with all the picks they have.

Advertisement