Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

always a risk with those big open tissue ops sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

This is pretty amazing:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrDyZx1Akxl/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=bxosfpvcvms8

I remember seeing the injury live and it was the scariest thing i have every seen. There was two shocking parts, seeing in slow motion his neck buckle as he made the tackle and then as he push himself with his arms off his stomach and on to his back and his lifeless legs just flopped over...i instantly thought he was going to be paralyzed from the waist down.

Him standing with a cane at an NHL game a couple of months later was amazing but now apparently he's back jogging and deadlifting, thats just incredible.

Also not to be forgotten is that the Steelers converted his 2018 $8m salary into a signing bonus so he gets the money instantly was an extremely classy move.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Hazys wrote: »
    This is pretty amazing:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrDyZx1Akxl/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=bxosfpvcvms8

I remember seeing the injury live and it was the scariest thing i have every seen. There was two shocking parts, seeing in slow motion his neck buckle as he made the tackle and then as he push himself with his arms off his stomach and on to his back and his lifeless legs just flopped over...i instantly thought he was going to be paralyzed from the waist down.

Him standing with a cane at an NHL game a couple of months later was amazing but now apparently he's back jogging and deadlifting, thats just incredible.

Also not to be forgotten is that the Steelers converted his 2018 $8m salary into a signing bonus so he gets the money instantly was an extremely classy move.
    Holy **** that's amazing. I remember watching that game (there was an unusually high number of us on here watching and chatting about it, wasn't it like Thursday or Monday game?) and it was horrific, sickening even. Like yourself, I thought at the time it looked like he was going to be in a wheelchair for life, it was the kind of moment where you have to ask yourself if football is really worth it at all. Really glad to see that.

And yeah fair play to the Steelers, I wonder how many of us could say for sure that the team we follow would do it? I'd like to think they would...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Holy **** that's amazing. I remember watching that game (there was an unusually high number of us on here watching and chatting about it, wasn't it like Thursday or Monday game?) and it was horrific, sickening even. Like yourself, I thought at the time it looked like he was going to be in a wheelchair for life, it was the kind of moment where you have to ask yourself if football is really worth it at all. Really glad to see that.

And yeah fair play to the Steelers, I wonder how many of us could say for sure that the team we follow would do it? I'd like to think they would...

I think the Bears re-signed Zach Miller to a guaranteed contract so they would continue to treat him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Most teams iirc stand by players who are seriously injured on field. It's different when they are retired they don't give a ****. But live on TV in front of millions is bad for pr

• Registered Users Posts: 15,179 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Why is everyone flipping out because McVay was able to name 11 Bears defensive players in his press conference and say very vague things about them? That's not impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Oat23 wrote: »
    Why is everyone flipping out because McVay was able to name 11 Bears defensive players in his press conference and say very vague things about them? That's not impressive.

Who's flipping out? I follow a lot of NFL twitter accounts and this is literally the first I've heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think the Bears re-signed Zach Miller to a guaranteed contract so they would continue to treat him.
    Oh yeah, I forgot that, he is in in a coaching role of some kind now

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Who's flipping out? I follow a lot of NFL twitter accounts and this is literally the first I've heard of it

It has been on ESPN, NFL Network, 2 podcasts I listen to. ESPN radio and a bunch of tweets.

I mean 22,000 likes on just this one.
    https://twitter.com/DustinFox37/status/1070455127323086848

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The guy is a bit of a freak though, in defense of everyone else. A few weeks ago a video was going around of him being interviewed and asked about what plays he ran at specific times of a few games 2-3 years and he could just reel them off the top of his head, how they went, why he picked them, and exactly what each skill player was doing on it. I don't recall seeing anything like that from any coach in any sport ever.

I also still love his honesty about how he rose up so quickly in the NFL (even though as we all know now, he's an amazing coach and overall football mind) when asked in an interview a while back - "nepotism" (his granddad was VP of football ops for the 49ers from 1980-96, and was 1989 NFL exec of the year).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Billy86 wrote: »
    The guy is a bit of a freak though, in defense of everyone else. A few weeks ago a video was going around of him being interviewed and asked about what plays he ran at specific times of a few games 2-3 years and he could just reel them off the top of his head, how they went, why he picked them, and exactly what each skill player was doing on it. I don't recall seeing anything like that from any coach in any sport ever.

I also still love his honesty about how he rose up so quickly in the NFL (even though as we all know now, he's an amazing coach and overall football mind) when asked in an interview a while back - "nepotism" (his granddad was VP of football ops for the 49ers from 1980-96, and was 1989 NFL exec of the year).

That video of his play recalls is pretty special TBF. Haven't seen the above before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It has been on ESPN, NFL Network, 2 podcasts I listen to. ESPN radio and a bunch of tweets.

I mean 22,000 likes on just this one.

Wade Phillips starting a press conference taking the piss out of it is much better

https://twitter.com/SimmsAndLefkoe/status/1070870410667941888

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

https://twitter.com/PickSixPreviews/status/1071489098727284737

Saw this on twitter tonight, I knew Suh was a force coming out of college but those numbers are ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

phatkev wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/PickSixPreviews/status/1071489098727284737

Saw this on twitter tonight, I knew Suh was a force coming out of college but those numbers are ridiculous!

Quinnen Williams from Alabama has 66 tackles 18 tfl and 8 sacks which is also impressive and only came 8th in the heisman

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Knex. wrote: »

He didn't name Eddie Goldman in that press conference. He ended up sacking Goff in the endzone and was generally a nuisance whenever he came into the game. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,474 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Reggie McKenzie has been fired as Raiders GM. Not surprising really given that when Gruden arrived he was basically neutered as a GM. He should have walked when it became clear Gruden had the control that a GM has.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Reggie McKenzie has been fired as Raiders GM. Not surprising really given that when Gruden arrived he was basically neutered as a GM. He should have walked when it became clear Gruden had the control that a GM has.

Presume there's a very big difference in pay-out when it comes to walking and being fired so it isn't surprising. Have to look at every coach and GM decision with that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine
    1. KC 14-2
    2. HOU 12-4
    3. NE 11-5
    4. PIT 9-6-1
    5. LAC 12-4
    6. MIA 10-6
    1. NO 14-2
    2. LAR 14-2
    3. CHI 12-4
    4. DAL 11-5
    5. SEA 10-6
    6. MIN 7-8-1

My 'hot take' assumption is Miami win their remaining three games, including at Minnesota. Don't ask me why! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Isn't it nuts that a plausible scenario has a team below .500 making a wild card spot? Has that ever happened before? And in the "loaded" NFC, no less. We all assumed during the summer that the AFC was weaker, but AFC teams are 4 wins ahead in inter-conference tussles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

D9Male wrote: »
    Isn't it nuts that a plausible scenario has a team below .500 making a wild card spot? Has that ever happened before? And in the "loaded" NFC, no less. We all assumed during the summer that the AFC was weaker, but AFC teams are 4 wins ahead in inter-conference tussles.

Think Carolina did it a few years back with a 7-8-1 record

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

D9Male wrote: »

Seahawks were 7-9 in the beast mode year. They won the division that year!

DeFilippo sacked. Was so surprised he was linked to the GB job as the Vikings attack has been terrible this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Hococop wrote: »
    Think Carolina did it a few years back with a 7-8-1 record

They weren't wild cards. Same with the 2010 Seahawks. Has a wild card ever been below .500?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Foxtrol wrote: »
    DeFilippo sacked. Was so surprised he was linked to the GB job as the Vikings attack has been terrible this year.

Most pundits on national TV rarely watch games. Their takes are awful so it's not surprising to me they'd link him to the job. They are basing their opinion off how highly regarded he was last season.

The only national show I have time for these days is GMFB. They seem knowledgeable at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Most pundits on national TV rarely watch games. Their takes are awful so it's not surprising to me they'd link him to the job. They are basing their opinion off how highly regarded he was last season.

The only national show I have time for these days is GMFB. They seem knowledgeable at least.

That's why I love Stugotz on the Dan LeBatard Radio Show. He admits to not watching games or teams or players but still comes out with hot takes on them. And most of his takes aren't too far off what the 'experts' are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

That's why I love Stugotz on the Dan LeBatard Radio Show. He admits to not watching games or teams or players but still comes out with hot takes on them. And most of his takes aren't too far off what the 'experts' are saying.

You get the show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,474 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It looks like Carson wentz won't play on Sunday night against the Rams in LA. It's funny that last season he was injured against the Rams in LA and now he won't play because of back soreness.

Advertisement