Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'm waiting for someone to reach for a young offensive minded coach (either a fresh OC or a college coach) and it to completely explode in their faces. It might just be the media/bookies but some of the guys who are on likely candidates lists don't have near the experience the likes of Nagy or Shanahan did before stepping up (or even McVay with him being an outlier with a lower end of experience).

Before he got fired DeFilipo looked like the most likely reach, even now I wouldn't be surprised if some team reaches on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

eagle eye wrote: »
    Obviously Josh McDaniels name will be big news again.
    He he he - ask the Colts
    I'd imagine Eric Bieniemy will get looked at by alot of teams too. Dave Toub might be looked at as well.
    I liked Toub two years ago when interviewed by the Broncos - but the fact that he still hasn't got a HC job must mean there are some question marks. As for Bieniemy - his reputation is based on Reid's coat-tails - there is little evidence that he is HC material.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

As soon as I read that I immediately thought of Lincoln Riley.
    I have no idea he would be interested but the job he has done with the offense in Oklahoma is insane.

He is definitely one of those names that I was thinking of. Oklahoma are a great watch but I'd fear what Alabama did to them in shutting them down, until they took their foot somewhat off the gas, would be repeated on a weekly basis in the NFL. Translating an offensive scheme from college into the NFL is a complete gamble. Even if he was reasonably successful in doing it with a team that is likely in poor shape, he'd need to surround himself by experienced and respected coaches, like McVay was with Wade, and I'm not sure if he can get that type of support.

Another coach I'd have concerns with is Bieniemy. I think he might fit the mold of being a good HC coach but I don't think a team is going to get some sort of offensive genius that they're expecting. I don't see much improvement in the scheme this year from what Reid/Nagy had previously, with the big difference being Mahomes

One that fitted the bill was DeFilippo, he was popping up a few weeks ago for the likes of the GB job and probably still would be if he wasn't fired by the Vikings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 15,179 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The personal attack, of course. Calling him an awful waste of $84m isn't.

Never seen a QB so good at padding stats as Kirk Cousins is. He's the king of garbage time. He's not a winner. Not a big game QB. He throws bad picks at crucial times, but focus on his stats only and what do you see? 4300 yards, 30TDs and only 10 INTs. He looks solid on paper but has never passed the eye test.

It's not all on him of course. Their o-line hasn't been playing well. They'll never win with Kirk though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Very harsh, seems like a childish account. Cousins didn't give himself the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Oat23 wrote: »

Never seen a QB so good at padding stats as Kirk Cousins is. He's the king of garbage time. He's not a winner. Not a big game QB. He throws bad picks at crucial times, but focus on his stats only and what do you see? 4300 yards, 30TDs and only 10 INTs. He looks solid on paper but has never passed the eye test.

It's not all on him of course. Their o-line hasn't been playing well. They'll never win with Kirk though.

Totally agree. I'm a Redskins fan and probably saw 90% of his starts. Very frustrating QB. You'd look at his stats and see that he threw for a million yards but if you watched the game you'd see that most of the yards came from his own 20 to the opponents 20 and then the drives end with nothing or a FG.

I bet the Jets are glad he chose Minnesota over their greater offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I don't think he is in a top tier of QBs but he was severely hampered this year by the OL issues you mention but also by how terrible DeFilippo ran the offense.

It is hard enough to hit the ground running with a new team as a QB but much harder when the OC is new and is a complete spoofer, who got the job on the back of what others did with the Eagles offense.

If the Vikings get a decent OC I expect a lot of improvement next year from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,179 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1079805158115155969

If Fangio gets a HC job a lot of journalists think Todd Bowles will be a leading candidate to replace him as he & Nagy have known each other since before they got to the NFL, plus they worked together in the league in Philly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Wile feeling the Colts will win it all this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

madalig12 wrote: »
    Wile feeling the Colts will win it all this year.
    Colts fan and don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭billr67

Broncos request permission to interview Patriots’ DC Brian Flores and Steelers’ OL coach Mike Munchak

Great the Steelers only decent coach. Nobody want Keith Butler?.....anybody?.... Guys?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

Foxtrol wrote: »

I don't think he is in a top tier of QBs but he was severely hampered this year by the OL issues you mention but also by how terrible DeFilippo ran the offense.

It is hard enough to hit the ground running with a new team as a QB but much harder when the OC is new and is a complete spoofer, who got the job on the back of what others did with the Eagles offense.

If the Vikings get a decent OC I expect a lot of improvement next year from him.
    He is above average which puts him in a very small bracket of players but definitely not top tier.

I think had they Cousins last season they would have won it all. I think had the rest of the team been as good as last year they would favourites now. That is why they took the shot on Cousins.

Course now getting a team playing that well with that contract is going to be difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Cousins is like Romo, lacks the additional killer instinct of Rodgers, Brady, brees, or even of Ben or Philip Rivers but that doesn't mean he's not a very, very good qb that could take the right team to the SB (and not as a game manager) . Hopefully he doesn't get made into a convenient scapegoat like cowboys fans pathetically did to Romo through his career, though I did expect a bit more from him this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,989 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Billy86 wrote: »
    Cousins is like Romo, lacks the additional killer instinct of Rodgers, Brady, brees, or even of Ben or Philip Rivers but that doesn't mean he's not a very, very good qb that could take the right team to the SB (and not as a game manager) . Hopefully he doesn't get made into a convenient scapegoat like cowboys fans pathetically did to Romo through his career, though I did expect a bit more from him this season.

That's wildly ungenerous to Romo, he's legit HOF talent, without the post season success. I'd have him on the same level as Rivers. Cowboys ****ed up starting Dak over him, wasted their best shot in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,603 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That's wildly ungenerous to Romo, he's legit HOF talent, without the post season success. I'd have him on the same level as Rivers. Cowboys ****ed up starting Dak over him, wasted their best shot in decades.
    Romo had a much shorter career than Rivers. That assessment is very unfair to Phillip Rivers imo.

I wouldn't be that high on Romo, and it was time for Dallas (and Romo with his injuries) to move on.
    I do agree on Rivers. Thought he was going to be something special at the start of his career, but he's done nothing of note in the playoffs since. Both achieved in the regular season, but failure in the playoffs would rules them out of the HOF for me, esp given the QBs in the span of their own careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,989 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd have them both ahead of Eli and Roethlisburger, who have the rings. Both were hampered by poor teams and circumstances imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Paully D wrote: »
    Thank **** we’ll no longer have to listen to Mayock spoiling draft picks any more, although I will miss his pre-draft coverage.

Always thought that was a bit overstated tbh. I'll miss him, one of the best draft analysts out there, if not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Just on the Jags thing with Fournette. Imo the guy is really good and the big problems is Bortles. If you had a QB who could throw the ball there would be space for Fournette to do his thing.
    So you void Fournette's guarantees over a suspension but you gave Bortles a new contract at the start of the season. What on Earth is going on in Jacksonville? I know which one of those two I'd like to keep and it ain't Blake Bortles.

I couldn't disagree more on Fournette. He was a good serviceable back in his rookie season, but his value is as a volume guy.

He averaged 3.3 yards per carry in 2018, compared to YPC of 3.9 for other running backs (excluding QB's for fairness).

He was better in 2017, with 3.9 ypc, but Yeldon and Ivory (combined) had a slightly better average.

His touchdowns were valuable, but 9 in the regular season is not much more than a total of 7 across other backs from way fewer carries.

His PFF grade is above average to good both seasons, just above replacement level, and he doesn't break many tackles.

Look at the other backs selected in 2017:

Christian McCaffrey
    Dalvin Cook
    Joe Mixon
    Alvin Kamara
    Kareem Hunt

were the next 5 selected running backs.

The next two defensive players selected in 2017 draft we're Jamal Adams and Marshon Lattimore. The next two QB's were Mahomes and Watson.

I think it's crazy picking an RB that high. But if you're going to do it, you need to do A LOT better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Apparently Antonio Brown has requested a trade. Supposedly has problems with Tomlin and Ben.
    What an absolute shıtshow the Steelers are atm. Easily one of the best teams in recent memory not to make the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,474 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It appears that the NFL gave a directive of sorts about not calling black Monday which is what the day after the final week of the regular season has become known as. It's meant to be new horizons Monday now. I mean Jesus Christ will everything be renamed so as not to offend people ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So, who's creating the New Horizons Monday thread?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It appears that the NFL gave a directive of sorts about not calling black Monday which is what the day after the final week of the regular season has become known as. It's meant to be new horizons Monday now. I mean Jesus Christ will everything be renamed so as not to offend people ?

That was just a joke on the Around the NFL podcast, surely? I haven't seen that term elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,474 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

D9Male wrote: »
    That was just a joke on the Around the NFL podcast, surely? I haven't seen that term elsewhere.
    Well it didn't seem like a joke but the fact you wouldn't put it past them lot to actually change it.

It seemed like a joke to me. Calling a day New Horizon Monday is clearly a mickey take.

I'd have them both ahead of Eli and Roethlisburger, who have the rings. Both were hampered by poor teams and circumstances imo.
    It’s not just the rings (which does help), but Eli steeped up twice in the playoffs when required. Ben in particular has reached and successed in the playoffs quite often. Not facets that you could apply to Rivers and Romo.
    I’ve seen both play really well, and then lose their cool and the game in the big moments; even with good/decent teams. Rivers certainly has his chance this year.

Phillip Rivers just turned 37 and doesn't look like he is slowing down yet. There is every chance he ends up top five all time in passing yards. He will likely be top five in passing touchdowns also.
    He is a certain future Hall of Fame member.

D9Male wrote:
    I think it's crazy picking an RB that high. But if you're going to do it, you need to do A LOT better.
    I'm not disagreeing about pick up ng a RB that high.
    I'm saying that you don't know what you've got unless you have a decent QB. Like every D is stacking the box against the Jags because Bortles is so bad.
    Fournette is hard to stop when he gets going so until he ends up in a situation where you can get him a little space you have no idea how good/bad he is.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that makes sense, I guess. There's a reasonable book on him now, albeit I agree he would be better with a better QB.

Advertisement