Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Everyone is open to their opinion but I dont get that at all.

Cousins is a good QB but hasn't shown he can reach the level that Lamar has, as two time MVP.

Lamar has had injuries but nothing as bad as what Cousins is coming off and Cousins is 10 years older at signing.

The area Lamar falls down is post season but it isnt like Cousins has a great record there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Em, OK? I mean, I would, but whatever.

Lamar works in Baltimore because they designed their whole system around his approach. It's not a lift and shift, we'd need a completely redesigned playbook and OL/RB to even cover that style of play.

Kirk Cousins on the other hand is a mediocre QB, an above average journeyman who, while he won't win you games on his own, he won't lose them for you either. If we have a team around Kirk we could do well. We're not going to have either, so it's moot anyway, but yes I'd prefer cousins to lamar, any day of the week. Unless I'm playing madden of course!!

Too much woke crap and not enough focus on coaching. He wasnt ever a coordinator in the NFL and I wasnt a fan of him getting the job on that basis.

It's not just about who can throw the ball further, or run faster. Kirk fits better into most teams as a drop in generic journeyman. Lamar brings a complete different style of play. If the falcons had embraced Vick in the same way baltimore embraced lamar and threw the playbook out the window when he arrived, there could have been an SB win with vick.

As I outlined in post 7654 above, I would go for cousins over lamar based on the probability of success and the less need for change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Lamar hasn't shown he can win in the playoffs. The performance in the AFCCG was abysmal. Cousins is no world beater, but he's pretty consistent as a passing QB.

Jackson's MVP this season was a joke, perhaps the weakest candidate in modern history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Not enough focus on coaching?

He's in the job 2 months, and he's not allowed coach any of his players yet per league rules.

What do you mean? What coaching do you expect to have seen by now?

And what "woke crap"?

If you read my post you'd see I accepted Lamar's playoff issues, however Lamar has double the post season wins than Cousins despite being 10 years younger

We're talking about the specific scenario of the Falcons, not plugging either of them into a random team.

Last offseason, when Lamar was an option for the Falcons, they were just coming off Mariota being their starting QB who uses legs, Riddler also did a lot of designed runs in college. Falcons also already had a good run game and OL to support the run.

• Advertisement

I'm speaking more from an NE perspective, from the falcons side of things it probably made more sense to go for lamar all things being equal.

He can be white black red or yellow, his race is not relevant to me. The woke crap is. It would be the same if say Edelman said it. What's important is being a good coach, not winning diversity awards.

Taking your exact example, Edelman has spoken about his religion and heritage a huge amount over the years and you don't seem to have an issue about it.

Mayo mentions race, when I'm pretty sure someone else brought it up first, and it triggers you and a bunch of Patriots fans.

I'm excited for Mayo personally, think a breath of fresh air was needed

He has never asked for special treatment because of his religious beliefs or heritage, or said the lack of religious players or coaches was a problem.

Love 2024 where every time anyone disagrees with a black person they are automatically deemed as racist.

To be fair, there's a not an equivalent history of Jewish players being exploited and discriminated against.

If you had said your problem with Mayo was simply that he was never a coordinator, that would have been fine. That argument can be countered by pointing to Andy Reid, Dan Campbell, Zac Taylor etc. who were never coordinators either, but it's not an outlandish stance to take

To claim he was hired just to "win diversity awards" isn't a good look.

What specific quotes did Mayo say that you disagree with so strongly?

So far you've just attacked a black man for being 'woke'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

He was not a diversity hire for the sake of diversity. Like him or lump him he was groomed for this role for the last few years. That is why he got the job.

He might still be terrible, I have no issue with Eagle Eye's complaints on him but he didn't immediately start blaming wokeness for everything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's talking about changes and he basically threw Bill Belichick under a bus.

What successful head coach have you heard saying either or both of those things when they got the job?

I was excited when he got the job, I felt he could be a really good one but all this talk is worrisome. It's not only him, Wolf is at it as well.

It's at the stage now that if they take a QB at 3 I'll have no confidence in them.

Even an amateur like me knows that taking a QB that high with the risks attached is a horrendous move with all the holes on our offense. You've got a guaranteed success, best player in the draft, who'll be there at 3 and WR is a huge need for us, probably bigger than QB at the present time. Once you have the tools in place to protect him and the weapons to give him the chance to be successful then you need a QB. For now stick with Brissett and bring in another vet or somebody like Penix or Nix or even some of the other QBs lower than them and take a chance. If it doesn't work out you can draft one next year or pick up a free agent again and take another gamble on a QB.

Fact of the matter is that based on ability in the pocket Penix and Nix are, if anything, more NFL ready than Daniels.

People are looking at the intangibles that Daniels brings to the table, things that more often than not don't transfer successfully from college football.

I don't want a regular season QB who sucks in the playoffs like Lamar or Michael Vick, I want a guy who can go all the way. You need a guy whose great in the pocket to be successful in the playoffs,

What specifically did he say that makes you think he was throwing Belichick under the bus?

All I can see him having said was that he was going to do things differently but hoped to have the same level of success. He even said that wasn't to be taken as a shot at Belichick.

• Advertisement

Aaron Donald has retired

always a petulant loser when things didn't go his way

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Kenny Pickett traded to the Eagles... Omar Khan is clearing house

I remember him saying I'm not taking shots at Bill but immediately then saying everything needs to change and things will be done differently which is taking a shot. This happened on a couple of occasions.

I don't think Pickett was that bad. He didn't have a great offensive line. He didn't throw many touchdown passes but that's down to the Steelers running the ball in the red zone. He improved in year 2.

I'm not saying hes great or even close but there was progression prior to his injury. I'd have given him another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Fields going to the Steelers for a 2025 6th, going to a 4th depending on playing time. I think a LOT of bears fans really overrated how valued he would be by the league. That is a really terrible haul for a guy I think is still at the very least a serviceable backup. But it is what it is. And it means we're taking Williams.

Kinda think he'd suit the Steelers who like to run the ball a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He suits the Steelers as a backup to Wilson anyway. It's a good situation for him, because I think Wilson is unlikely to go a whole season without injury, and indeed Fields could even beat him to the job, and either way he'll be under less pressure to do it all than he was in Chicago, better coaching set up, not coming in as a first round pick etc. How he does well there, I liked him

Nah Pickett is very poor. He stares down his receiver, doesn't go through his progressions , throws into double coverage and scrambles needlessly. He's frustrating to watch. A poor attitude on top of all that helped seal his fate in Pittsburgh. I supported him longer than most did there's only so much a team can put up with especially at QB. I don't expect him to be in the NFL in 2 years.

• Advertisement

Don't be surprised if they take a QB at no. 20 either. Let him sit behind Wilson and Fields for a year or 2 and learn like the Packers did with Aaron Rogers and Jordan Love.

Advertisement