Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Foxtrol wrote:
    I 'threw it' in because it is a relevant recent example of Meyer hiring his mates and not considering the downside.
    You didn't need to mention the racist bit, just the name of the pal he hired.
    It's a tactic I've seen you use many times to dirty things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

How is the character of a person being hired not relivant the person's character is the entire point being made ie. He was hired despite this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »

Surely someone being racist is very relevant?

Absolutely ridiculous carry-on from you.

Surely someone being racist is very relevant?
    How is it relevant to him taking on Tebow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wow, you're really on a serious one today. I have really no idea what these imaginary 'tactics' are that you mention but feel free to keep making stuff up.

I'd be surprised if many here know the names of the S&C coaches for their own team, forget about the name of one hired for 10 minutes by the Jags. Why should I go to the effort of looking up the guy's name and then vaguely refer to the relevant issue in a way which most of the posters would have to then go and search to understand? It isn't my job to skirt around certain subjects because they make you feel uncomfortable.

The guy has one claim to fame and that happens to be the same thing that caused a distraction for the Jags, which is the same thing that caused them split from him - his history of racism.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote:
    The guy has one claim to fame and that happens to be the same thing that caused a distraction for the Jags, which is the same thing that caused them split from him - his history of racism.
    The guy was strength and conditioning coach for Iowa for 20+ years.
    It's not like he was clueless or had been out of work for years.

How you can compare that in any way to the signing of Tebow, well it's a huge reach.

The guy was strength and conditioning coach for Iowa for 20+ years.
    It's not like he was clueless or had been out of work for years.

How you can compare that in any way to the signing of Tebow, well it's a huge reach.

50+ current and formers players came out publicly complaining about racism in that building, with most of the focus being on actions by Doyle. A lawsuit against him by a few players based on their allegations is moving through the courts.

I am not comparing them, we are talking about distractions and I simply pointed to another relevant example of Meyer bringing one into the building a few months ago.

This is a very basic concept, I don't know why you continue to struggle with it. Another example would be saying that Meyer has a history of ignoring character concerns and citing Doyle and Hernandez. This wouldn't mean I am implying Doyle is a murderer or Hernandez was racist - they are simply two distinct examples of Meyer ignoring that specific issue.

I think I can safely say that no one is interested in discussing your lack of comprehension or attempts to feign being offended so I will not be continuing this further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I think Foxtrol just called Tebow a racist murderer :eek:

Foxtrol wrote:
    I think I can safely say that no one is interested in discussing your lack of comprehension or attempts to feign being offended so I will not be continuing this further.
    I'm not offended, I'm simply pointing out that you try and dirty the whole thing up.
    As I said one bears no resemblance to the other.
    One guy is a racist but he has a great history doing his job.
    The other guy is loved by millions but hasn't been playing football for a few years.
    There is no comparison there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,425 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://twitter.com/tombrady/status/1397595268799942656?s=21

The second tweet is what I assume a seven time super bowl champion can do. That’s cold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Apart from the fact they were down 8 it works pretty well. Well done to whoever runs Brady's social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The sure fire hall of fame kicker, 3 time sb, who Brady should thank for winning him two announced his retirement on pat macafee show

Itssoeasy wrote: »

The second tweet is what I assume a seven time super bowl champion can do. That’s cold.

He knows, right now, even a lot of Packers fans won't leap to Rodgers defence!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

The one thing that stands out about this Tim Tebow signing is how the hell did it happen. He hasn't played for 8 years, and when he did he was a quarterback with a less than 50% completion percentage. He wasn't very good, has he suddenly become an nfl tight end? Damian Woody was on espn earlier and said its a whole bunch of nonsense. The first time anyone has said it, but it's true. I would equate it to a youtuber fighting Floyd Mayweather, Mayweather will be pulling his punches, otherwise he would kill him, its professional sport, no room for sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

The one thing that stands out about this Tim Tebow signing is how the hell did it happen. He hasn't played for 8 years, and when he did he was a quarterback with a less than 50% completion percentage. He wasn't very good, has he suddenly become an nfl tight end? Damian Woody was on espn earlier and said its a whole bunch of nonsense. The first time anyone has said it, but it's true. I would equate it to a youtuber fighting Floyd Mayweather, Mayweather will be pulling his punches, otherwise he would kill him, its professional sport, no room for sentiment

It’s a bizarre signing, and he probably won’t get on the field after it all.

This isn't anything like a YouTuber taking on a top class fighter. He's blocked before, he's played professional football at the highest level including a playoff win.
    He might be playing a different position and he is old in football terms but we know he's kept himself in shape.
    The way you are going on Antonio Gates should never have been drafted.

This isn't anything like a YouTuber taking on a top class fighter. He's blocked before, he's played professional football at the highest level including a playoff win.
    He might be playing a different position and he is old in football terms but we know he's kept himself in shape.

And he's not racist. Let's make that very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

He wasn't

The one thing that stands out about this Tim Tebow signing is how the hell did it happen.

I think we all know why.

There's zero chance Tebow would be in the league again if it wasn't for his friend and old head coach Urban Meyer wanting to give him a second chance - probably as a favour for all the success Tebow brought Meyer in their previous life.

I would say it's likely that it doesn't work out, however I would also repeat that having Tebow as a 3rd or 4th string TE isn't the worst option the world due to the potential gimmick plays he would give you as a H-back. I can see why he may be more valuable than any other standard 4th string TE in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭cosatron

Itssoeasy wrote: »

https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1397570468056535040

brady is giving Rodgers dogs abuse on twitter.

• Advertisement

cosatron wrote:
    brady is giving Rodgers dogs abuse on twitter.

It's a charity golf match. Where's the abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭cosatron

It's a charity golf match. Where's the abuse?

In a good natured fashion. Brady is very witty on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2021/5/30/22461050/nfl-new-player-cut-down-schedule-for-the-2021-off-season-chicago-bears-preseason-player-release

New set up where the teams will have to cut down their roster by a certain number of players each week after preseason games. Don't suppose it'll make much difference to most fans but I was just thinking it might add some drama to hard knocks. Could be a nightmare for them if all the bubble guys they decide to focus on at the start get cut and they haven't really been paying attention to others. But more likely there's just more drama to the early episodes which often get a bit tedious.

Isn't that just going back to the way things were before last year?

Isn't that just going back to the way things were before last year?

I stand to be corrected on this but I don't think they had a situation where teams had to cut down so many times (5 players after first pre season, 5 again after the second, and then the remainder after the third). Looking at it now it seems completely unnecessary, but might squeeze a few more stories into the news cycle during the pre season. One rationale in the article I linked was that it would help teams build a practice squad over a number of weeks. I dunno.

Rosters must be cut down to 85 players by Aug. 17, 80 players by Aug. 24 and 53 players by Aug. 31

The USFL is now relaunching next year also.

https://www.foxsports.com/presspass/latest-news/2021/06/03/united-states-football-league-returns-2022

There are some great stories from this league in its first iteration.

My favourite was when Chicago traded their entire roster to Arizona in return for their entire roster, because the Arizona owner was a Chicago fan who failed to acquire the team.

Chiacgo then immediately traded 21 of those former Arizona players to Memphis for a late round draft pick.

Memphis then immediately cut 20 of them without telling them :o

The USFL is now relaunching next year also.

https://www.foxsports.com/presspass/latest-news/2021/06/03/united-states-football-league-returns-2022

There are some great stories from this league in its first iteration.

My favourite was when Chicago traded their entire roster to Arizona in return for their entire roster, because the Arizona owner was a Chicago fan who failed to acquire the team.

Chiacgo then immediately traded 21 of those former Arizona players to Memphis for a late round draft pick.

Memphis then immediately cut 20 of them without telling them :o

And it was doing so well until that well reknowned business man, Donald Trump insisted on going head to head with the NFL rather than stay as a spring league.

And then it predictably crashed.

I wonder what happened him?

And it was doing so well until that well reknowned business man, Donald Trump insisted on going head to head with the NFL rather than stay as a spring league.

And then it predictably crashed.

I wonder what happened him?
    It was small potatoes guys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

USFL - Both Jim Kelly and Steve Young originally played USFL football, here they are going head to head in 1984, both are now in the hall of fame.

• Advertisement

COVID Protocols will not be fun for non-vaccinated players and likely will end up being a disadvantage for teams with low uptake (not to mention staff, reporters etc).

The right and only move by the NFL

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1405226106802872324?s=20

Advertisement