Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Meanwhile, in Denver.... :eek:

Who is their practice squad QB

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That’s rough, they have no chance in that game now after a good result last weekend. Crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So to recap the news in the national football league in the past few hours.

- the ravens now have 20 players on the Covid list.
    - the lions fire their head coach and GM.
    - the broncos don’t have a true QB against one of the best teams in the league.
    - and the niners can’t play in their home stadium.

Just a normal Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

adrian522 wrote:
    Players quit on Patricia a long time ago, should have been fired a year ago.
    I'm not saying Patricia shouldn't have been fired at the end of last season. I'm saying that firing him now is awful. You do it at the right time, a couple of weeks before the trade deadline or black Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So to recap the news in the national football league in the past few hours.

- the ravens now have 20 players on the Covid list.
    - the lions fire their head coach and GM.
    - the broncos don’t have a true QB against one of the best teams in the league.
    - and the niners can’t play in their home stadium.

Just a normal Saturday.

Steelers seem to be expecting quite a few positive tests as well.

The stupidity of the Broncos. Not wearing masks for the QB's when it just takes one test to screw them over. The loss coming their way is 100% deserved.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Steelers seem to be expecting quite a few positive tests as well.

The stupidity of the Broncos. Not wearing masks for the QB's when it just takes one test to screw them over. The loss coming their way is 100% deserved.

The bills have a QB that practices away from the other QBs and it may sound simple but it’s genius given the Covid situation. I’m not saying other positions aren’t important because they are, but because of the nature of American football the QB is kind of important.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not saying Patricia shouldn't have been fired at the end of last season. I'm saying that firing him now is awful. You do it at the right time, a couple of weeks before the trade deadline or black Monday.

I think the main reason they did it now is cause the GM Quinn has also got the chop.

It gives the organisation a head start on appointing a new one & hopefully he'll be in place when they go looking for a head coach at the end of the season

No point waiting till January to fire them & after finding a GM, you'll be looking at the leftovers who didnt get HC jobs by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Christy42 wrote: »

Everyone right up to Joe Ellis should be sacked - and the three QBs dumped.

As a Broncos fan I'd happily go with Hinton for the rest of the season to show these numbskulls what idiots they are.

It is one thing not having one QB working separate from the rest - its another to have the three of them in a meeting without wearing masks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

The bills have a QB that practices away from the other QBs and it may sound simple but it’s genius given the Covid situation. I’m not saying other positions aren’t important because they are, but because of the nature of American football the QB is kind of important.

Don't the Eagles have Josh McCown sitting at home in case of an emergency?

paulie21 wrote: »
    Don't the Eagles have Josh McCown sitting at home in case of an emergency?

Yes.

I’d say the ravens must be secretly happy that their Covid mess was eclipsed by bang your head against the wall stupidity by the broncos.

There’s reports that Jalen hurts is expected to get some snaps on Monday night without Carson wentz on the field.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This is quite a sentence to start a report with
    The Denver Broncos are expected to start undrafted rookie practice squad wide receiver Kendall Hinton at quarterback Sunday against the New Orleans Saints, but the team wanted their starting QB to be Rob Calabrese, their offensive quality control coach for the past two years, sources told ESPN on Sunday.

While I absolutely understand that the Broncos f***ed up and the whole thing is their own fault, how is it fair to make them play this game while bending over backwards and moving games all over the place for other teams.

If nothing else it throws off the competitive balance by basically handing the already #1 NFC seed Saints a free win playing a team without a QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It’s not to the level of season cancellation in my opinion yet but it’s certainly going in a concerning direction. IF they get to the playoffs they will have to go thr baseball route and go into bubbles.

NFL talking about bubbles for the playoffs. They'll have to really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

While I absolutely understand that the Broncos f***ed up and the whole thing is their own fault, how is it fair to make them play this game while bending over backwards and moving games all over the place for other teams.

If nothing else it throws off the competitive balance by basically handing the already #1 NFC seed Saints a free win playing a team without a QB.

Go back a couple of days and I asked the same question. And that's before we get to the Broncos stupidity.

I for one am glad it's being played cos I want this sorry ass season over. And it will be much nicer to watch us getting sliced open as a result and bring the current management down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Lionbacker wrote: »
    I think the main reason they did it now is cause the GM Quinn has also got the chop.

It gives the organisation a head start on appointing a new one & hopefully he'll be in place when they go looking for a head coach at the end of the season

No point waiting till January to fire them & after finding a GM, you'll be looking at the leftovers who didnt get HC jobs by then.

Yeah, the issue with the Lions is that they didn't get rid of Patricia last offseason. It was obvious he was a dire head coach and the team was going no where with him yet they gave him more time.

Once they made the decision to let him continue this season it is completely understandable that they didn't get rid of him prior to the trade deadline, as they'd been dealing with injuries and directly after the deadline they had an easy run of games given their opponent's form - Vikings, Football Team, Panthers, Texans.

After having being pathetic during that run you cut them both now to give them that head start you mentioned and also cover yourself in case they manage to string together a few lucky wins that makes it tougher to move on at the end of the season.

So in an escalation of Santa Clara county where the niners stadium who have made commentary teams wear masks, it seems under new restrictions the niners won’t be able to play in their home stadium. I’m sure there are other stadiums they could use. But still it’s hardly ideal.

Not only playing in their home stadium, they also aren't allowed to hold any contact practice. We might actually see the 49ers play or train in San Francisco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 sanfranbest

A guy took his blonde girlfriend to her first American football game. They had great seats right behind their team’s bench. After the game, he asked her how she liked the experience.
    “Oh, I really liked it,” she replied, “especially the tight pants and all the big muscles, but I just couldn’t understand why they were killing each other over 25 cents.”
    Dumbfounded, her date asked, “What do you mean?”
    “Well, they flipped a coin, one team got it and then for the rest of the game, all they kept screaming was: ‘Get the quarterback! Get the quarterback!’ I’m like…Helloooooo? It’s only 25 cents!!!!”

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I had read about the Eagles backup plan, are there many teams have that in place? Seems a great idea

When are Denver on?

When are Denver on?

9:05pm Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

9:05pm Irish time.

You aren't missing anything. Not quite as fun as I imagined! But he can't even know the playbook. It's crazy. **** it. They totally deserve it.

I think all the qbs should be sacked. **** them. They did this to the team and they're not all that. Get rid.

I can't believe the saints aren't playing Winston, but i reckon they want a look at Hill, and he's not passing the audition at the moment.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Not only playing in their home stadium, they also aren't allowed to hold any contact practice. We might actually see the 49ers play or train in San Francisco

Confirmed that the 49ers are moving to Arizona for at least 2 weeks. Would have liked for them to play in SF or even Berkley but it is an understandable decision seeing how those areas could implement similar lockdowns, whereas Arizona is more the wild west.

It'll be tough for players to be away from their families for an extended period but the win yesterday at least gives them hope and an outside playoff chance to work towards. Players also won't say no to a big reduction in the tax they'll be asked to pay, about half the rate of state tax.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Confirmed that the 49ers are moving to Arizona for at least 2 weeks. Would have liked for them to play in SF or even Berkley but it is an understandable decision seeing how those areas could implement similar lockdowns, whereas Arizona is more the wild west.

It'll be tough for players to be away from their families for an extended period but the win yesterday at least gives them hope and an outside playoff chance to work towards. Players also won't say no to a big reduction in the tax they'll be asked to pay, about half the rate of state tax.

The stadium in Arizona is a nice one to be able to use, but given they didn’t stay in the Bay Area would make you believe that the Oakland colosseum was a none starter. Could they have not gone to San Diego because while that’s not perfect it’s only a temporary thing or at least hopefully.

Edit: it seem the stadium is San Diego is closed and set for demolition next year.

Also, the Covid test results for the ravens will be released no later than 9pm Irish time according to one of the nfl Network lads.

A bit of good COVID news is that the ravens have activated some players from the COVID list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

A bit of good COVID news is that the ravens have activated some players from the COVID list.
    Well four were removed and four were added so not exactly a gain for them.

Advertisement