Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Maybe ive gone mad but im tempted to back the Bills to win it all. Very good D and potent O.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

madalig12 wrote: »
    Maybe ive gone mad but im tempted to back the Bills to win it all. Very good D and potent O.

Of all the serious contenders remaining that would be the one a neutral would be most excited about. Would be amazing given the lack of success they've had for the last few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Bills have been irrelevant as long as I've been watching the NFL (2 decades) but I've always had a soft spot for them. Like most here, before gamepass we'd be glued to Sky for the NFL every week and Kevin Cadle loved his Bills no matter how bad they were. It's a shame he didn't live long enough to see them now.

I'd love to see them win it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Of all the serious contenders remaining that would be the one a neutral would be most excited about. Would be amazing given the lack of success they've had for the last few decades.

I’m the same because I'd hate for the four Super Bowls in a row to be the main thing people remember of them. I know they were only competitive in one of the four but still. I know I support an NFC and old NFL team in the eagles(who won’t be in the playoffs) but because I’ve read up and watched anything and everything in the history of American football, I have a fondness for the old AFL which became the AFC and that includes the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I love McDermott, the Bills and really appreciate the story. That said, I find myself rooting against them most games as I really believed Allen was a bust. I hate being so chronically wrong.

• Advertisement

The Cleveland browns have been notified there is a positive Covid test and are doing contact tracing. They play the Steelers tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The Cleveland browns have been notified there is a positive Covid test and are doing contact tracing. They play the Steelers tomorrow.

It’s a member of their coaching staff apparently. Hopefully game is ok to go ahead, big playoff implications for the Browns. They need a win for their first playoff appearance in 17 years!

The saints now won’t have any of the RBs available for tomorrow due to Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Kellen Moore signs a three year extension in Dallas. Very surprised by that. Boise State job was his for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,301 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Tony Romo out for the final week - he was down for the Cardinals Rams game. Boomer subbing in.
    Hopefully back for the playoffs.
    https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2021/01/02/tony-romo-miss-sunday-broadcast-covid-protocols/4115640001/

• Advertisement

Black Monday firings

General Mangers

Head Coaches

Adam Gase - Jets
    Doug Marrone - Jaguars

Offensive coordinator

Defensive coordinator

Add as news comes in folks

Saleh and Bienemey interviewing for the Falcons job
    John Schneider interviewing for Lions GM role

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

brinty wrote: »
    John Schneider interviewing for Lions GM role

He's not. The story is that they are interested in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Salah, Bienemy and Bevell all interviewing for Lions HC this week.

Rick Smith, Scott Pioli, Marvin Lewis, louis Riddick and Thomas Dimitrioff have already interviewed for GM during the season along with three internal candidates. Also have confirmed upcoming interviews with Terry Fontenet (Saints) and Brad Holmes (Rams).

I see that Sam darnold is saying he didn’t play consistently enough to save Adam gases job. Now okay he didn’t play great but why is he going out of his way to put more blame on himself then his former head coach who was a walking disaster ? Adam gase did far more damage to Sam darnold because he’s not a good head coach and that’s reflected in former players saying so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

I see that Sam darnold is saying he didn’t play consistently enough to save Adam gases job. Now okay he didn’t play great but why is he going out of his way to put more blame on himself then his former head coach who was a walking disaster ? Adam gase did far more damage to Sam darnold because he’s not a good head coach and that’s reflected in former players saying so.

Enough people will be fighting for Darnold. He can look humble and willing to get better for any new potential coach. He is definitely not guaranteed a job in the future (not all his fault but still his problem). Probably helps endear him to a new coach that he won't throw them under a bus while everyone else can put forward the case that he is better than Gase showed.

Aaron Rodgers touchdown passes - 48
    JK Scott punts - 46

And Davante Adams caught more touchdown passes (18) than Mason Crosby had field goal attempts (16).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

madalig12 wrote: »

I hope they go on to do it myself. Very strong all round side

Black Monday firings

General Mangers

Head Coaches

Adam Gase - Jets
    Doug Marrone - Jaguars

Offensive coordinator

Defensive coordinator

Jim Schwartz - Dirt Birds - Retiring

Saleh, Bienemey and Bevell interviewing for the Lions job
    John Schneider potential candidate for Lions GM role

Updated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

He's very 'nice' in general and is probably all-in on that line now, if he came out today and said Gase was muck it would look strange. Being seen as a company man willing to take responsibility suits him more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

There are 5 teams I think can do it: Chiefs, Packers, Bills, Saints and maybe Bucs. The rest I don't really fancy at all. Can't believe Seattle are 13/1.

Titans - Ravens and Bills - Colts are the picks from the Wildcard round IMO.

Outside bet would be the Colts but I just don't see it happening for them. Would be nice for Rivers to get a ring.

Steelers Browns should be interesting considering the Browns struggled to get past Steelers 2nd string.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,446 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

as a pats/TB fan I'm hoping the bucs win it all.

Black Monday firings

General Mangers

Head Coaches

Adam Gase - Jets
    Doug Marrone - Jaguars
    Anthony Lynn - Chargers

Lions, Falcons and Texans currently with Interim head coaches

Offensive coordinators

Defenisve coordinators
    Jim Schwartz - Dirt Birds - Retiring

Saleh, Bienemey and Bevell interviewing for the Lions job
    John Schneider potential candidate for Lions GM role

Updated

• Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Anthony Lynn was a mild surprise, team were playing hard and Herbert seemed to have a good relationship with him. Had the most 1 score losses over last 2 seasons probably done him in

paulie21 wrote: »
    Anthony Lynn was a mild surprise, team were playing hard and Herbert seemed to have a good relationship with him. Had the most 1 score losses over last 2 seasons probably done him in

Tom Herman had the same thing over a 4 year period at Texas. If GM doesn't think Lynn can get it done then its time to move on like the Longhorns did at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

paulie21 wrote: »

I really like Lynn but he played more than his part in a few of those tight losses.

What really did him in I'd say was how he dealt with Herbert initially. First holding him back, then saying that they weren't going to stick with him, and then focusing on the run so much.

I'm not sure where Lynn goes from here though, quite a step back to go from HC back to RB coach, he doesn't really have a skillset for OC. He can possibly sit around and wait for a call from a franchise that is looking for a 'safe' pick at HC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Big news out of Denver - John Elway is moving 'up' and Denver will hire a new GM.

'Russell me up another drink' is retiring (thank f*ck and only 10 years too late)

Looks like Elway is lining up an ownership move - the Ellis Trust will have to appoint Brittney Bowlen as owner or sell the team in the next 12 months (and Brittney Bowlen will not be sanctioned by the other owners).

Word is that the Broncos are lining up Adam Peters 49ers VP of Player Personnel as the new GM - Peters spent 8 years with the Broncos as director of college scouting before joining the 49ers 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Big news out of Denver - John Elway is moving 'up' and Denver will hire a new GM.

'Russell me up another drink' is retiring (thank f*ck and only 10 years too late)

Looks like Elway is lining up an ownership move - the Ellis Trust will have to appoint Brittney Bowlen as owner or sell the team in the next 12 months (and Brittney Bowlen will not be sanctioned by the other owners).

Word is that the Broncos are lining up Adam Peters 49ers VP of Player Personnel as the new GM - Peters spent 8 years with the Broncos as director of college scouting before joining the 49ers 3 years ago.

When those nortifiations came through from the NFL and the Athletic I yelped! Thank Christ!

Elway getting out of that role was long overdue but hard to know whether it is an actual change or just smoke and mirrors for the fans. Many 49ers fans have actually been hoping for Lynch to make a similar move upwards and put Peters in as GM.

Like we've discussed when it came to the Broncos wanting to sign Shanahan, I'm not sure how attractive they are with Elway still hanging around and likely sticking his oar in on every decision, if not still straight up making them. Aside from title it doesn't seem like too much of an improvement on his current job and even a step down when it comes to the quality of coaching and recent organisation performance.

Now the Panthers have apparently requested an interview with Peters, who has previously worked with Rhule. Their owner has shown he will move mountains to get their guy and do everything to support them. Peters to Broncos might happen but I don't think it is as easy as Broncos saying they want it and it happening.

Good infographic of the open HC jobs and what a coach will have to play with cap an picks.

When you take into account the team it looks like the Chargers are the most attractive option, with the minor downside being signing up to compete with Mahomes for the foreseeable future and a weak fan base.

Jags seemed like a great spot if the GM is good but the quote from Khan yesterday that he is keeping full roster control means you may struggle to have any say.

Somewhat under the radar good spot could be Falcons once they aren't expecting instant success. The owner seems great, they have an early draft pick to either get a top QB or flip for picks, and a decent core of players to build from.

https://twitter.com/RealTannenbaum/status/1346178134140452866?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭boccy23

HC Kevin Stefanski will not be coaching this weekend due to Covid-19 infection. First playoff game in 18 years and then this.

Advertisement