Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Do you think Sinn Fein have benefited from contesting the election?

Well, by the end of it, many people could nearly spell her name.

(Full disclosure, I did once derp an O'Riada in here, as I'd just been reading about her father.)

But there was a lot of Lisa, Leanne and Leanna's going around. Basically if it was a woman's name that wasn't Joan, it probably was intended as "Liadh".

So, that was progress. Although God knows what the public would have made of Seosamhin or Aodhnait.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Pavee Point should be demanding that more children stay in mainstream education.
    That the Crime rate be reduced and that travellers actually report other travellers who commit crime.
    That young travellers refrain from arranged early marriages.
    Cease with the fist fighting and the challenge videos.

In short do what the settled community does instead of going out of their way to be different. That would be a start.

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Casey’s traveller comments recap

He disagrees with them being recognized as a ethnic minority.

Says they avoid tax and that house prices drop when travelers move onto an area.

Says they camp on other ppl’s land.

Says the Tipperary situation with travelers demanding stables with their new houses is ridiculous.

Quote:

He cited an ongoing dispute in Tipperary where six new homes are lying empty in a €1.7m development because families living on an unauthorised site nearby are refusing to move in until they get stables for horses.

“I mean how ridiculous have we become as a society where they are turning down beautiful, four-bedroom houses because there’ll blackmailing the county council into giving them stables for their horses.

“I’m sorry, there’s something seriously wrong with society when we’re at that stage,” Mr Casey said.

Nothing overly controversial there.

Why is he talking about this stuff at all? What does any of it have to do with the presidency?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Why is he talking about this stuff at all? What does any of it have to do with the presidency?

From what I recall, he was asked in a radio interview (possibly by a local radio station) what he thought of the situation with the travellers houses / horses etc. It's definitely not the case he brought up the topic himself. But he started shooting from the hip in the radio interview, the national media later got wind of what had been said and they then made a big deal of it.

Strazdas wrote: »
    From what I recall, he was asked in a radio interview (possibly by a local radio station) what he thought of the situation with the travellers houses / horses etc. It's definitely not the case he brought up the topic himself.

Well, you stand corrected.

He was asked in the Indo's Floating Voter podcast whether he could connect with voters in Ireland when he went around saying things like "It's not very hard to get rich in Ireland," given the homelessness crisis. Bit of a leap from there to talking about travelers in Tipperary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting bits include, Duffy only cam third in his own polling box. Liadh Ni Riada came a close second to Higgins in Coolea.

Maurice Quinlivan Limerick was offering the excuse that she wasn't well known. But she is an MEP fro Munster. Did she top the poll in that election? Wonder what vote she'll have in Cork NW if they had any intention of running her there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1026/1006954-presidential-exit-poll/

Astonishing performance by Casey if true.

His vote is more than Labour ever got (possible exception of 1922). His vote is more than SF ever got, than the PDs, than PBP, than Democratic Left, than any other party other than FF or FG.

From 2% to 20% in less than two weeks.

I didn't believe he could get more than 10%, this is astonishing.

What about Robinson in 1990?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

From what I recall, he was asked in a radio interview (possibly by a local radio station) what he thought of the situation with the travellers houses / horses etc. It's definitely not the case he brought up the topic himself. But he started shooting from the hip in the radio interview, the national media later got wind of what had been said and they then made a big deal of it.

He wasn't 'asked about the houses and stables' he introduced that himself in a conversation about the housing crisis.

It definitely is the case. He started off saying about this group in Cork before being corrected.

Pavee Point should be demanding that more children stay in mainstream education.

You do know what was done to funds to promote the above by the FG/Lab government and has not been restored by the FG/Ind/FF government?

Here is the self recognition of the problem and a detailed stratedgy to overcome it. You will note that many of the recommendations have not been implemented and that any that were have since been dismantled.

https://itmtrav.ie/strategic-priorities/education/education-key-issues/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He wasn't 'asked about the houses and stables' he introduced that himself in a conversation about the housing crisis.

In an interview being recorded for a podcast. It's obvious that the story rapidly grew legs and he didn't anticipate the national furore it would cause - not that he backed down on them either.

I'm not a Casey supporter btw and didn't vote for him yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Wonder why Rathkeale voters gave Casey 47 percent? Any ideas??

The Travellers didn’t vote . If you live in Rathkeale and you’re NOT a traveller you would vote for Casey or any other candidate that so succinctly managed to express your emotions the way he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You do know what was done to funds to promote the above by the FG/Lab government and has not been restored by the FG/Ind/FF government?

Here is the self recognition of the problem and a detailed stratedgy to overcome it. You will note that many of the recommendations have not been implemented and that any that were have since been dismantled.

But why do the parents of the children not just send them to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

https://itmtrav.ie/strategic-priorities/education/education-key-issues/

As was touched on above, why are they allowed effectively hold their own children hostage by saying "unless we get funds off the government, our children aren't going to school"?

The "self-recognition" material you presented is the usual "it's not us that has to change, it's everyone else that has to change" stuff. It even uses the phrase "equality of outcome", which is a synonym for "we don't want equality; we want more than what everyone else gets, and to get it easier too"

In an interview being recorded for a podcast. It's obvious that the story rapidly grew legs and he didn't anticipate the national furore it would cause

How is that obvious? He may not have confidently expected the furore but I'm pretty sure it was what he was hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

This 20% vote for casey wasn't for him per say .
    It was his message . Irish hard working individuals are sick to death of paying for the lazy . It's the middle class that are paying for everything .
    There is no political party representing us !!!!
    The mainstream parties are just like the Irish media ... To pc .
    We are a great people that do more than our share for those worse off than us.
    However it's been rammed down our throats " that we must do more ".
    What's wrong with a Irish government putting its own people first ???
    The European model is broken.
    Yes ... Help others ... But there's only so much a country of 4.5 million can take !!

As was touched on above, why are they allowed effectively hold their own children hostage by saying "unless we get funds off the government, our children aren't going to school"?

The "self-recognition" material you presented is the usual "it's not us that has to change, it's everyone else that has to change" stuff. It even uses the phrase "equality of outcome", which is a synonym for "we don't want equality; we want more than what everyone else gets, and to get it easier too"

In the early days of this state, school attendance was a major problem too. For differing reasons maybe, but it took many encouragements and incentives to get 'settled' parents to recognise the value of education.

The point I was making however is that there is very strong recognition of the problem in traveller representative groups. It is beyond stupid to cut the incentives and assistance and then ask why they are not availing of education.

It was his message . Irish hard working individuals are sick to death of paying for the lazy . It's the middle class that are paying for everything .

Well you, or people like you, are just going to have to set one up for yourselves, or start voting for someone like Renua. Irrespective of Leo's talk about representing people who get up early in the morning, Fine Gael are always going to get dragged to the left until they face a challenge on the right.

Well you, or people like you, are just going to have to set one up for yourselves, or start voting for someone like Renua. .

Everybody knew before the election that there was this amount of votes out there for someone who attacked this community.

It's just nobody is prepared to represent that constituency and not even Casey is as he is refusing to accept that it was his views of travellers that got him elected.

He has basically swindled that constituency as a result.

The mainstream parties are just like the Irish media ... To pc .
    We are a great people that do more than our share for those worse off than us.
    However it's been rammed down our throats " that we must do more ".
    What's wrong with a Irish government putting its own people first ???
    The European model is broken.
    Yes ... Help others ... But there's only so much a country of 4.5 million can take !!

I am a hard-working Irish individual that did avail of welfare when I was driven to it (and hated doing it, not least because of all the vitriol about lazy welfare sponges).

I don't appreciate being taken for an idiot by the likes of a populist clown looking for the right-on crowd's votes.

So he made some unpleasant statements about Travellers and unemployed. That makes him presidential now?

Can you back up anything you said or is it all just stuff that feels right? And what does Europe have to do with it?

• Advertisement

People like me are the ones keeping this country afloat .
    Yet no political party has the balls to say it as it is .
    That's why casey got 20% .
    It certainly wasn't the man ...
    He went from 1% to 20% in a week .
    At last someone said what we are thinking...

And people like me. Or do only your taxes count now due to your awful and unique oppression?

(I'm not part of your claimed hive-mind btw, despite having a job and paying taxes.)

Rhineshark....your missing my point.
    Your missing what this election vote message is giving.
    It wasn't a " casey vote ".
    It wasn't a anti traveller vote.
    The hard working people of this country are fed up paying for others.
    Of course the Media will put a label on us ... Probably say we are right wing.
    We work hard .... Pay high taxes and see the lazy useless layabouts been represented by others .

The myth that those on welfare are 'better off' needs to be dispelled.
    That myth mainly comes from those who see a 50 inch telly and are jealous because they haven't one. Or one or two cases where somebody is milking the system.

'Better off' can not be judged on materialistic concerns alone.

The myth that those on welfare are 'better off' needs to be dispelled.
    That myth mainly comes from those who see a 50 inch telly and are jealous because they haven't one. Or one or two cases where somebody is milking the system.

'Better off' can not be judged on materialistic concerns alone.

Tbh, I couldn't have afforded a 50" TV either now or on welfare. Bar maybe those idiotic "get now, pay later" schemes that I never had any truck with.

Ashleigh, what is your suggestion? End welfare payments? Do you reckon welfare taxation or corporation taxation would raise more for State coffers and which will cause more real hardship? Look at what is going on in the UK to the poorest in society. That turning of people not doing great while being in a secure job agaibst those that can't even get that is pure upper class politics to keep the actual majority infighting.

Where is the resentment towards major corporations being given sweetheart deals rather than paying into the society the resources of which it uses? Are Travellers and welfare recipients really the enemy here or are they just easy targets?

50 inch telly .
    Car under their ARS .
    Takeaways 5 nights a week.
    In the bookies daily .
    Cans from off licence.
    Holiday every year in lanszorte.
    Smoking 40 plus a day .
    All above and more ..... While on benefits ....
    I beleive ....WHAT I SEE WITH MY OWN EYES
    Call me right wing if ye want ....but we all are been taken for fools !!!

50 inch telly .
    Car under their ARS .
    In the bookies daily .
    Cans from off licence.
    Smoking 40 plus a day .

Well, you certainly have been. How many welfare recipients have you seen WITH YOUR OWN EYES etc and how many welfare recipients are there in the country?

Never been to Lanzarote in my life.

It's amazing how many people that have the ability to see cant see the obvious. The Irish media won't say what this vote meant .
    This was irelands trump .
    This was irelands brexit.
    Casey went from 1% to 20 % in a week !!!!!!
    The media think this was down to his " traveller comments "
    Watching rte and all the media are missing or refusing to see the obvious!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

50 inch telly .
    Car under their ARS .
    In the bookies daily .
    Cans from off licence.
    Smoking 40 plus a day .

Mod: Please cut out the ranting and read the charter before posting again.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

50 inch telly .
    Car under their ARS .
    In the bookies daily .
    Cans from off licence.
    Smoking 40 plus a day .

What exactly do you mean by seeing it with your own eyes? Are you stalking people on the dole?

It is simply not possible to afford all of that on the dole alone. Yes there are people who take the piss but for the majority it's a stop gap, and it's badly needed to ensure people don't fall into poverty. And before you label me, I have a full time job, pay my taxes and have never been on the dole. But my Dad was when he lost his job back in the 80s and I know the value of having that safety net. He desperately wanted to work and did find a job again but there were some tough times back then.

Stop stereotyping and try to think critically about an issue rather than swallowing soundbites from an attention seeking candidate.

Advertisement