Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

He'll most likely be hammered for it tonight during the debate too.

That's a pretty lame excuse not to bother togging out in fairness.

(I wonder if he took the learjet or was driven there :D?)

I say the cost for the Learjet is the same per hour is someone is in it or not

Patser wrote: »
    Ah no, bit more googling and found that Higgins is in Leitrim first this afternoon, again meeting supporters before heading to Bundoran. So he won't have to cross the border or worry about the PSNI (or his staff) not bring able to organise his security.

https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/home/343699/president-michael-d-higgins-expected-in-leitrim-today.html

Looks like he's on a victory lap already meeting supporters. Who needs to debate?

While I agree if all he is doing it is pretty weak but in fairness why do we have debates at all for the president.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

L1011 wrote: »
    Polls are usually paid for by Sunday newspapers, and there was one on Sunday. Paddy Power are the only other vaguely regular sponsor of polls.

Can't link to it but someone over on AH popped up the dates of polls from the last donkey derby and there was 2 between the last Sunday and polling day. The last (half reputable one) was taken mostly before Casey gained public momentum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

humberklog wrote: »
    Can't link to it but someone over on AH popped up the dates of polls from the last donkey derby and there was 2 between the last Sunday and polling day. The last (half reputable one) was taken mostly before Casey gained public momentum.

I see one, The Irish Times on the Monday morning; Thursday vote.

The islands voting mean they are always curtailed a day or two before the vote so Monday was probably the latest you could have got one anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Yeah and travellers choose to beat their wives, inbreed, squat on public property?

So you're saying it's fine to tar everyone with the same brush if they're in the private sector?

Mod note:

You were previously warned to be constructive in your posting on this thread.

• Advertisement

So is Liadh Ni Riada take home pay of average industrial wage before or after tax

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So is Liadh Ni Riada take home pay of average industrial wage before or after tax

She takes the before tax figure after tax. So quite a lot more than the actual average industrial wage.

MEPs also get significant expenses (unvouched) and per diem payments (unvouched)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So is there a debate tonight on virgin one or whatever that channel is now calling itself and does it have a functioning player which RTÉ didn't have last night so didn't watch last nights one.

She takes the before tax figure after tax. So quite a lot more than the actual average industrial wage.

MEPs also get significant expenses (unvouched) and per diem payments (unvouched)

Ta very much had only heard a bit of the answer as have a life and could not watch it

^^@ Rhineshark:
    I wouldn't feel like a berk and I'm not voting for Casey for a laugh. Mine is a considered protest vote. Considered enough to realise what you say (he gets enough votes to get in) could happen- and I'm ok with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

She seems to think there's different tiers of average, so it all depends on what average you're talking about.

Hurrache wrote: »
    She seems to think there's different tiers of average, so it all depends on what average you're talking about.

Has she opened up a can of worms for Sinn Feinn or anyone who claim they take home the average industrial wage

Has she opened up a can of worms for Sinn Feinn or anyone who claim they take home the average industrial wage

Absolutely. It's been one of their mantras hasn't it. But now it seems their average take home does not actually mean average. I don't think she's been the first member of SF to be caught out in taking home more than they made public.

I'm not being facetious about her talking about different tiers of average either. She genuinely said there's different tiers of average.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Absolutely. It's been one of their mantras hasn't it. But now it seems their average take home does not actually mean average.

I'm not being facetious about her talking about different tiers of average either. She genuinely said there's different tiers of average.

Ya did not watch the debate as I would rather watch paint but ya when I heard it this morning I was SF are wishing they picked someone else she seems to not think

I see one, The Irish Times on the Monday morning; Thursday vote.

The islands voting mean they are always curtailed a day or two before the vote so Monday was probably the latest you could have got one anyway.

Ah, think I read this post wrong L...

Copied from AH...

Opinion Polls for 2018 & 2011. Date is the last day of polling NOT published date.

2018 https://en.m.wikipedia...ntial_election,_2018
    1) 24 August
    2) 16 September
    3) 10 October
    4) 12 October
    5) 16 October

2011 https://en.m.wikipedia...ntial_election,_2011
    1) Poll taken before final list of candidates confirmed.
    2) No date given in Irish Times report.
    3) 5 October
    4) 12 October
    5) 20 October
    6) 21 October

Time for me to take the tin foil hat off and make sprat lures for my Mackerel fishing tomorrow.

If you did want to keep the hat on; if Paddy Power had commissioned a poll showing an upset they wouldn't have reason to release it until they had covered any potential loses on the various books. But I really doubt that has happened.

The poll on Sunday started polling awkwardly early. I suspect it was a landline only one which are getting harder and harder to get numbers on and you could spend huge amounts of time trying to get all the demographics covered. RedC generate random mobile numbers to try whereas ye-olde landline only polls use known blocks of domestic phones.

No dedicated TV3 thread yet, maybe we're all fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just looking at the odds on paddy power and the only surprise is that they have Casey in 2nd place. Higgins still at 1/50.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Gavin or Sean will come last. Very unlikeable men.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gavin doesn't seem all that bad. He came across pretty well in last nights debate imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

You're half-right in each case.

gandalf wrote: »
    Just looking at the odds on paddy power and the only surprise is that they have Casey in 2nd place. Higgins still at 1/50.....

Himself and SG having swapped places in the odds since last night! You'd hardly imagine through any favours PC did himself in the debate.

On the plus side, a tighter race for second might mean none of the people that put us through all this to no purpose get their expenses back. Shame if PC in the one that does, but even by that token, supposedly he's spent the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The Maria Cahill answer out of the spinner was shameful, absolutely disgraceful 'there was wrongdoing on both sides' just apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Cringeworthy that Casey's got himself from his already well-deserved last-place to being third-favourite. On the strength of shamelessly bashing Travellers, quivering his little bottom lip when he was rightfully criticised for that, pretending to "consider his position" while he went on an already-planned jolly of a weekend, then "returned" to the contest. To then bash welfare claimants.

I suppose it's what Trump would call a modern-presidential style.
    The Maria Cahill answer out of the spinner was shameful, absolutely disgraceful 'there was wrongdoing on both sides' just apologise.

She did apologise and said she was willing to meet her.

Patser wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Higgins engagement is tonight that means he can't make the debate? He escused himself weeks ago saying his itinerary is set, so it sounds like an official engagement but anyone any idea what/where it is that it couldn't be missed?

His line is that he divided up his time in advance between "being president" time and "campaigning" time, and have those to the broadcasters (and everyone else). If the broadcasters then scheduled debates in "presidential" time, he stuck with it. And the broadcasters, conversely, have said they can't just be arranging debates entirely around one person's schedule...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I don't like one of these 'pitches'. I honestly don't.

Rhineshark wrote: »
    No, what *you* think.

Again with "my opinion is OBVIOUSLY everyone's opinion"...

I wonder how many more times I'll have to point out that no matter how obvious something seems to random person, said random person is not actually the entire Irish population.

Apparently the Caseyite "speak your brains (what little of them)" faction's theory is that everyone really does share their prejudices, but some of us (PC/SJW/other reactionary cliché here) just "virtue signal" by saying otherwise.

It's one of those theories that conveniently excuses the lack of any evidence for it.

It has gone from being the most one sided race in Irish political history to being a much closer affair (if the bookies odds are anything to go by), and yet the media are not framing it that way...
    Yeah, I wonder why the media aren't framing MDH's odds having shortened from 1/5, to 1/9, to 1/33, to 1/50 as "a much closer affair".

It's almost as if they're reporting the facts, and not sheer wishful thinking on the part of the over-excited partisans for one ludicrous figure. That only ended up in the race because some of the councils got a little carried away with the spirit of "well, the ones we wanted t nominate are taken, but let's pick someone, for the sake of it!"
    one official poll would give us all a good indicator but strangely enough, we haven't seen a poll since Peter Casey went off message last week.
    Obviously a vast conspiracy by the Evil "Liberal" Media. Or as these things are conducted over several days, and are commissioned some additional time in advance of that, poor outburst planning on Casey's part?
    I have heard media commentators across the media landscape, from RTE to Newstalk, heap insult after insult on Peter Casey, it's like they don't want to accept how irrelevant they have become, or more likely, they do not want to accept how a fairly significant percentage of Irish people have nothing but disdain for Irish media or why!
    Are they perhaps now the Lamestream Fake News? Or are we trying to keep the Trumpiness slightly more deniable than that?
    There is a very good chance, that come Saturday morning, the Political Establishment, Irish media will get a very strong slap in the face, if they do not understand why, they run the risk of FF type irreverence over the next ten years!!
    Irreverence? Subliminal plug for the blasphemy referendum, perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Gavin has gone from last for me to second. More or less because he hasn't done or said a thing either inspiring or controversial. A bit like MDH you could say, only younger.

Casey #1

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Apparently the Caseyite "speak your brains (what little of them)" faction's theory is that everyone really does share their prejudices, but some of us (PC/SJW/other reactionary cliché here) just "virtue signal" by saying otherwise.

It's one of those theories that conveniently excuses the lack of any evidence for it.

It can be a bit more nuanced than that in fairness. There's even a poster over in AH that said "Casey would only appeal to the uneducated".

I wouldn't converse with that post on line but that post (theirs, not yours) makes my protest vote, to me, important.

What's wrong with uneducated people? I wouldn't dismiss anyone's vote because they're uneducated.

And it's that stench of intellectual and status dismissiveness from the Pro Higgins/SF camp I find awful.

Advertisement