Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

And this is based on pretty much one single issue. It is a good barometer of how the general public feels about this issue in question.

Well it shows how important it is to people. Since the comments I have probably discussed caseys comments with about 70-80 people , the responses ranged from 'ahh we know it but he shouldnt say it' to 'bang on' .

Everyone agrees in every other regard he's useless , which shows just how influential that one opinion is.

As the debate moved on, it gradually dawned on me that he's actually more Bunty than Bunty herself ever was, and that his general campaign is more accident than design.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I suppose that's the crux of the matter, the retention of that culturally distinct grouping is desirable I'm terms of it being part of our heritage.

Some could argue that travellers moving from place to place offering to fix roofs or put down driveways is similar in practice to what their ancestors did but people's view on such practices seems to be that they work is very shoddy and/or the property is being "cased" while they are around.

There are truths on both sides of the argument in granting them ethnic status.

The difficulty is that the modern day Travelling Community has become a caricature of the traditional values and culture of travellers. We used to put Africans and Native Americans in circuses - in many ways the different treatment of the Travelling Community by allowing them to continue with unrestrained criminality, arranged marriages of 16-year olds, and uneducated children, is little better than putting them on display. It is equally degrading to allow that to continue, the fact that the likes of Pavee Point defend such behaviour is only collusion in the degradation of their own community.

The Journal is currently running a poll, but as FrancieBrady mentioned in relation to earlier ones, all people need to do to vote multiple times is to clear their browser history.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Journal is currently running a poll, but as FrancieBrady mentioned in relation to earlier ones, all people need to do to vote multiple times is to clear their browser history.
    It's pretty apparent that the kind of people who get stirred into action by a call to bigotry like Casey's, see no issue with creating fake accounts and fake votes to make it appear like there are ten times as many of them as there really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

seamus wrote: »
    It's pretty apparent that the kind of people who get stirred into action by a call to bigotry like Casey's, see no issue with creating fake accounts and fake votes to make it appear like there are ten times as many of them as there really are.

Seems like there won't be another proper opinion poll before the election so I guess we'll have no real idea until the actual votes are counted whether his descent into the gutter has paid off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Casey stated on Ireland AM this morning that, if he is elected, he will serve five years and then resign before the 2024 local and European elections..

Seems like there won't be another proper opinion poll before the election so I guess we'll have no real idea until the actual votes are counted whether his descent into the gutter has paid off.
    Might pay off in that he'll get his expenses back.

Judging by the nonsense you see on Twitter and the journal, he seems to have become a magnet for people who wanted to vote against Michael D for any reasons. People in support of Casey spouting rubbish about expenses and pensions and the like.

A big troll contingent there though, people claiming him to get a reaction. These people don't vote anyway.

There hasn't been enough time for Casey's hateful bile to be converted from trolly rubbish to a supported campaign. Trump had a long lead in time. Casey will be relieved, he doesn't want to be elected.

Put it this way, if he's only on 31% in a Journal poll, you're probably looking at 10% in RL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,061 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So to those who are supporting Casey: how do you reconcile his reckless and slightly ignorant declaration of tendering Facebook to build a €1 billion Irish-only Facebook? It feels a little galling that while Higgins is attacked for apparent reckless spending, Casey's pie-in-the-sky over giving Facebook huge amounts of money (which last night he scoffed at IIRC), to build a worse Facebook, feels as bad if not worse. If he's that out of touch with something pretty mundane in 2018 (most small businesses these days automatically use a Facebook business profile at the very least), how do his supporters square the circle of anything else he says?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Might pay off in that he'll get his expenses back.

Judging by the nonsense you see on Twitter and the journal, he seems to have become a magnet for people who wanted to vote against Michael D for any reasons. People in support of Casey spouting rubbish about expenses and pensions and the like.

A big troll contingent there though, people claiming him to get a reaction. These people don't vote anyway.

There hasn't been enough time for Casey's hateful bile to be converted from trolly rubbish to a supported campaign. Trump had a long lead in time. Casey will be relieved, he doesn't want to be elected.

What hateful bile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,225 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Casey has now said he'd only serve five and a half years before resigning to "save money" by having the election the same day as the LE/EEs.

Which would save on polling station staff only basically. Count staff can't count three things at once so the counts go on longer or need extra staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

L1011 wrote: »
    Casey has now said he'd only serve five and a half years before resigning to "save money" by having the election the same day as the LE/EEs.

Which would save on polling station staff only basically. Count staff can't count three things at once so the counts go on longer or need extra staff.

At this point Casey is spouting out anything that comes into his head if he thinks it will gain him extra votes.

blanch152 wrote: »
    What hateful bile?
    Stuff like claiming that Travellers only want to be recognised as an ethnic minority because it gets them more money?

He's really plumbing the outrage depths there. Travellers and social welfare in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Casey stated on Ireland AM this morning that, if he is elected, he will serve five years and then resign before the 2024 local and European elections..

My arse he would, he will say anything to increase his own persona and bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Casey comes across like the drunken uncle at a wedding, invites everyone back to his gaff for a few drinks.
    When they get there, there isn't as much as a wine gum in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

At this point Casey is spouting out anything that comes into his head if he thinks it will gain him extra votes.

Sure he can say and promise whatever he wants, he knows he's never going to have to fulfill any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

L1011 wrote: »

Somebody was watching Ivan Yates on The Tonight Show last night after the debate I doubt. Or possibly the re-run that is on right before Ireland AM ;)

Yates threw it at a FF politician on the show that why not go for fixed terms and have a General Election along with the LE/EE's. Must've sounded genius to our Peter during his '5.30 am workout'.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Stuff like claiming that Travellers only want to be recognised as an ethnic minority because it gets them more money?

He's really plumbing the outrage depths there. Travellers and social welfare in one.
    Well he's not wrong is he...

Well he's not wrong is he...
    He is. It's as bigotted and moronic as claiming that all muslims are terrorists. It's a statement for the small minded idiots, exactly the kind of damaging rubbish that Trump engages in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

He is. It's as bigotted and moronic as claiming that all muslims are terrorists. It's a statement for the small minded idiots, exactly the kind of damaging rubbish that Trump engages in.

I see no one defending bankers when people go "the bankers ruined the country."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Sure he can say and promise whatever he wants, he knows he's never going to have to fulfill any of it.

It's all about profile raising I just would imagine as a business man, he wasn't planning on it being so negative.

Pussyhands wrote: »

Seriously? You're comparing an entire group of people to a (mostly) private, profit driven 'profession'?
    They are people interested in making money who choose to be in that profession. They are not beholden to you or I and even the regulator is taken with a pinch of salt.
    The banking industry played a major role in ruining the country. If you have a defence for that, have at it. Mind greedy is as greedy does.

If that relates to 'all Irish are stupid', or ignorant Casey's 'all travelers just looking to get more money' etc. do tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I'll throw that one in the same bin I threw the one about Micheal D saying he'd only serve one term :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The banking industry played a major role in ruining the country. If you have a defence for that, have at it. Mind greedy is as greedy does.

I'm not validating the comparison, but some in the banking sector caused ruination, not all bankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Pussyhands wrote: »

This is easily the stupidest thing said so far in relation to casey's remarks, and some seriously stupid stuff has been said

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

TBH I'm a bit sick of hearing people being 'outraged' at Caseys remarks about travellers. The bottom line is that feeling outraged and defending travellers in the media is the easy bit, how about hiring them in your business, welcoming them to live next door, allowing them have a wedding in your hotel or have a party in your bar? It just doesn't happen so IMO Casey was right to get a debate going.

Like I say, the pretend outrage is laughable. The very ones who are 'outraged' wouldn't let a traveller next nor near their place or welcome one into their family.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Like I say, the pretend outrage is laughable. The very ones who are 'outraged' wouldn't let a traveller next nor near their place or welcome one into their family.

So you're outraged at people's outrage?

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'm not validating the comparison, but some in the banking sector caused ruination, not all bankers.

It's a corporate industry that helped the ruination of the economy. Not a group of individual people with a cultural commonality. When people say 'bankers' it's the industry. Whether some clerk in AIB only worked the customer service or not. The same goes for criticism of the Church.
    Saying every individual person from a particular group, such as travelers or those on welfare, actively behave negatively is ignorant bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Saying every individual person from a particular group, such as travelers or those on welfare, actively behave negatively is ignorant bigotry.

Don't disagree, but who said that, a poster or Casey?

• Advertisement

Don't disagree, but who said that, a poster or Casey?

Reads like you did.

You say you're not validating the comparison then set about trying to validate the comparison.

In conversation regarding:

Advertisement