Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hurrache wrote: »
    More whatabout.....

And we know this is the familiar cry when you can no longer discuss the issue. The next thing is you will try to make the conversation about me...oh wait, you tried that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Get back to me when you hear an Irish journalist badgering a representative of the British government to admit to and apologise for their 'terrorism' or even the Head of The British Armed Forces when she visits here.

Mentioning the other players in a conflict/war is 'whataboutery' now? Oh dear. :rolleyes:

Haven't seen any representative of the British government or Head of the British Armed Forces running for President of Ireland recently.

The question is whether it is suitable for a President of Ireland to hold the view that the IRA were not terrorists. Nothing to do with what any British person thinks.

Given that you are voting for Michael D., I hope you share my view that it is unacceptable for someone with the view of Liadh to hold the office of President.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

blanch152 wrote: »
    Haven't seen any representative of the British government or Head of the British Armed Forces running for President of Ireland recently.

The question is whether it is suitable for a President of Ireland to hold the view that the IRA were not terrorists. Nothing to do with what any British person thinks.

Given that you are voting for Michael D., I hope you share my view that it is unacceptable for someone with the view of Liadh to hold the office of President.

But what about the Brits?

I find it 'acceptable' that a candidate believes that all sides in a conflict/war have responsibility for what happened. That means 'all' sides, including the side that climbed onto the high moral ground and pointed fingers at one side only.
    I find it unacceptable to label one side as 'terrorists' only when all communities were terrorised.

Or maybe you believe they weren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Minister of State Jim Daly says he is giving his No 1 To Joan Freeman. Same as myself, MDH 2, that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Freeman and Duffy have been the most uninvolved uninspiring candidates of the whole campaign, i doubt either of them will crack 2.5%

Paddy power has Casey as solid second which id imagine will be correct. I think some of the questions have been getting to michael D and his replies have been getting more agressive as the campaign goes on, I still think he'll win but not by more than 60% low 50's seems about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So, looking at the odds on MichaelD, is the race getting closer, or not?

I'll give you a hint: it is not. In the same period that Casey came in from 200/1 to 20/1, MichaelD came in from 1/33 to 1/50.

1/50 suggests that the bookie thinks there is a 98% chance MichaelD will win.

The questions for Casey are: 1. can he climb from last place where he was in the polls to somwhat higher in the rankings, and 2. can he claw his way to 12.5% to get his expenses back. Magic 8-ball says 1. Most likely and 2. Don't count on it.

1-25 now.

I reckon they will increase as the day goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I find it 'acceptable' that a candidate believes that all sides in a conflict/war have responsibility for what happened. That means 'all' sides, including the side that climbed onto the high moral ground and pointed fingers at one side only.
    I find it unacceptable to label one side as 'terrorists' only when all communities were terrorised.

Or maybe you believe they weren't?

I take it that you support the views of the candidate that you are voting for.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/michael-d-fears-sinn-fein-in-aras-would-endorse-ira-26782815.html

"Mr Higgins said that he, personally, was "absolutely and unequivocally opposed to the campaign of violence carried out by the IRA" and highlighted his "political opposition" and "personal revulsion" at that violence.

On the IRA campaign of violence, he said: "I would be particularly concerned if this presidential election campaign was to be used to seek some sort of rationalisation of or endorsement for that campaign."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I'll hazard a guess of:

Higgins 58%
    Casey 13%
    Gallagher 11%
    Ní Ríada 8%
    Freeman 6%
    Duffy 4%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I see Gallagher was asked how many jobs he's created and he couldn't answer, but was still pushed. Then he said if he counts all the businesses using his space then it's in the thousands. LOL

A business isn't going to be made or ruined based on a flexible workspace!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'll hazard a guess of:

Higgins 58%
    Casey 13%
    Gallagher 11%
    Na 8%
    Freeman 6%
    Duffy 4%

I am still hopeful that Casey will not reach 12.5% and will not get his expenses.

I can see Casey's remarks winning him votes off the other losers. I can't imagine why they would win him votes off Higgins - Traveller and scrounger -bashers are hardly likely to have found MichaelD an inspiring figure before Casey's comments.

I take it that you support the views of the candidate that you are voting for.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/michael-d-fears-sinn-fein-in-aras-would-endorse-ira-26782815.html

"Mr Higgins said that he, personally, was "absolutely and unequivocally opposed to the campaign of violence carried out by the IRA" and highlighted his "political opposition" and "personal revulsion" at that violence.

On the IRA campaign of violence, he said: "I would be particularly concerned if this presidential election campaign was to be used to seek some sort of rationalisation of or endorsement for that campaign."

I would criticise Higgins for that, if he meant only IRA violence, but I would suspect, knowing his politics and him personally, that he would apply it to all the violence.

I was opposed to all the violence that happened and still am to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I'll hazard a guess of:

Higgins 58%
    Casey 13%
    Gallagher 11%
    Ní Ríada 8%
    Freeman 6%
    Duffy 4%

Higgins
    LNR
    Gallagher
    Casey
    Freeman
    Duffy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

1-25 now.

I reckon they will increase as the day goes on.

Do you still think Casey is in with a realistic chance of being elected as you suggested a few days ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Do you still think Casey is in with a realistic chance of being elected as you suggested a few days ago?

Huge impetus gathering for Casey. All the young people who couldn't be arsed one way or the other are going for him. It will be like when a group of fellas in Cork elected Bernie Clifford I think his name was, to the city council, won a fortune from the bookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

All the young people going for him? I find that hilarious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Huge impetus gathering for Casey. All the young people who couldn't be arsed one way or the other are going for him. It will be like when a group of fellas in Cork elected Bernie Clifford I think his name was, to the city council, won a fortune from the bookies.

Bernie Murphy actually and he became a laughing stock while he was in the council.

'All' of them no less. ;) This generalising thing is catching on. Dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

VinLieger wrote: »
    I think Casey is entirely the wrong person to do this as he would make a shambles of the entire thing due to his atrocious lack of ability to speak in public on seemingly any subject. Pavee point tend to be very well spoken and know their stuff and my impression of casey is he might do a quick google before discussing a topic but thats about the height of it, so they would probably just run rings around him until he started getting angry and then saying more stupid things so ultimately the whole thing would be a disaster

Easy be well spoken when you just have to say racism in answer to any question.
    Prime Time were a disgrace they way they left Martin Collins say that our justice system was racist without challenging him on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So you mean all the young people who couldnt be arsed so likely then also have never registered?

Its a bold strategy going for the unregistered voter demographic 2 weeks before an election, ill give you that......

• Advertisement

'All' of them no less. ;) This generalising thing is catching on. Dangerous.

You know how it is Francie, the same as all ye Shinners believe Gerry when he says he was never in the Provos;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Where are these polls showing the 'young people' flocking to anyone, let alone Casey? Part of this 'silent majority' people like to quote, or some other demographic in Ireland?

The marriage & 8th amendment referenda showed an uptick in young voters, but that's not the trend. Certainly not with a historically unpopular election such as this. A lot of projection going on here.

You know how it is Francie, the same as all ye Shinners believe Gerry when he says he was never in the Provos;)

My view on that is, I simply don't know whether he was or not. And I care less, and never did care.
    And I am also not a 'shinner'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

seamus wrote: »
    And everyone else is entitled to have their own opinion on his opinion, and to call him out on it. Especially when it's unqualified guff.

On the odds shortening thing, it's worth remembering that this is just a reflection of what people are betting on, not any real-time analysis of voters.
    What makes it unqualified guff when the definition of ethnicity is rather unscientific and indeed arbitrary anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Absolutely.

Though, and I've said this before, I wasn't going to vote to begin with, I'd abolish the role of it was up to me.

I'll be happy with second place anyways, as I've a few bob thrown on. :)

It's a fact! The slogan around UL is 'Casey for the crack' !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Fecking students. You'd think by third level they'd at least know that 'crack' is the wrong version of that word, if they were being good Irishmen and women.

'All' the young people of Ireland are at UL...surely that is overcrowding Dan?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Hurrache wrote: »
    You'd think by third level they'd at least know that 'crack' is the wrong version of that word

Actually by 3rd level I'd expect them to know that's a myth.

• Advertisement

Absolutely.

Though, and I've said this before, I wasn't going to vote to begin with, I'd abolish the role of it was up to me.

I'll be happy with second place anyways, as I've a few bob thrown on. :)

Are you one of the 'yoots' Johnny, as you seem to be voting for the crack/craic? :D

Advertisement