Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Augeo wrote: »
    What's your approach to trying to lose weight?
    IF, calorie counting, exercise, eating salads for lunch, not eating biscuits?????

Just IF at the minute and even at that only doing 4 days per week. Need to get finger put out and combine IF with increased exercise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Walnut Salad

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Just IF at the minute and even at that only doing 4 days per week. Need to get finger put out and combine IF with increased exercise

Excuse my ignorance but what is IF?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Escapees

Excuse my ignorance but what is IF?

Intermittent Fasting, I presume, although sometimes it's just used to justify another IF, Intermittent Feasting!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Escapees

Note to self: 'Don't take the bait...'

Alas, this thread grates me sometimes. The folk posting on it generally are unhealthy, unhappy, and say they want to lose weight... Their families and loved ones no doubt would love for them to lose weight too... And even random passersby to the thread would love for them to lose weight and be happy in themselves. But, it ultimately comes down to the folk themselves taking responsibility and action...

Yes, it's not easy. Yes, I appreciate that there are often underlying personal issues that make it difficult, if not impossible, unless resolved. But the lack of commitment I keep coming across in the here and now in dealing with the issue, even from a purely dietry point of view, not to mention the strings of excuses for going off the rails, just wrecks my head.

If you're serious about losing weight, then you have to be serious about what you eat, all the time, without exception. A recovered alcoholic does not indulge in regular 'cheat' pints or going on a bender every so often.

It might be a cliche, but the only step that ever really matters is the one you take right now... not earlier or later, yesterday or tomorrow, or next week. Now.

Yeah but going off the rails the odd time is fine when it comes to weight-loss once you get back on track the flowing day.

IF is totally unsustainable long-term IMO and often participants just gorge on their eating time so no calorie deficit is introduced anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

IF is totally unsustainable long-term IMO and often participants just gorge on their eating time so no calorie deficit is introduced anyway.

It really depends on the person. For a lot of people it's not all that restrictive so they don't binge in their eating window. It also might be what cuts out the evening/night time grazing.

Its just another tool. For a lot of people its sustainable in the long term. For others it isn't.

Escapees wrote: »
    Note to self: 'Don't take the bait...'

Alas, this thread grates me sometimes. The folk posting on it generally are unhealthy, unhappy, and say they want to lose weight... Their families and loved ones no doubt would love for them to lose weight too... And even random passersby to the thread would love for them to lose weight and be happy in themselves. But, it ultimately comes down to the folk themselves taking responsibility and action...

Yes, it's not easy. Yes, I appreciate that there are often underlying personal issues that make it difficult, if not impossible, unless resolved. But the lack of commitment I keep coming across in the here and now in dealing with the issue, even from a purely dietry point of view, not to mention the strings of excuses for going off the rails, just wrecks my head.

If you're serious about losing weight, then you have to be serious about what you eat, all the time, without exception. A recovered alcoholic does not indulge in regular 'cheat' pints or going on a bender every so often.

It might be a cliche, but the only step that ever really matters is the one you take right now... not earlier or later, yesterday or tomorrow, or next week. Now.

The problem is that people don't know what that first step is. Or at least they've been confused as to what that first step should be because there are so many different messages put out there by people as to what is the right way. Ketogenic. Low carb. Avoid carbs, they'll make you fat. Paleo. Detox. Etc etc etc.

You'll see plenty of examples of it in this forum. "X is the way to go and I read a buke and in it there was some science that I didnt understand but the man selling the book explained it to me and said every other way was wrong". So many times people start threads with "I have X stone to lose so I'm going to go keto. Anyone have a food plan?". Lots along the same lines where people think there is a defined right way that makes the other ways wrong.

And fundamentally that comes back to a lack of understanding. That isn't a sleight on anyone because its probably the majority.

And the first step may be nothing to do with food but underlying issues that manifest themselves in an unhealthy relationship with food.

It's fine saying "just make that first step" but a lot of people with a good bit weight to lose have been pointed in so many directions by so many different people they're a bit like someone being blindfolded and being spun and then told to hit the piñata first time.

That's not to say people dont make excuses. Of course they do. Everyone does in everything they don't succeed at. Its human nature.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Escapees wrote: »

Is there not room for people who want to lose weight but arent all that serious about it? Like, people who want to lose weight but arent prepared to sacrifice their social and family lives to achieve it? Or those who want to eat more healthily and recognise that it takes time to turn the ship around and so will have good weeks and bad?

Giving up drinking is a terrible analogy. People arent trying to give up food, they want to reduce weight in the short to medium term and to maintain it at a healthy level long term . Moreover, people encourage alcoholics even if they havent stopped drinking or have had a slip. Whats wrong with positive encouragement?

I think its great that everyone is dedicated enough to keep positng and to share their experiences with everyone else. Fair play to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Is there not room for people who want to lose weight but arent all that serious about it? Like, people who want to lose weight but arent prepared to sacrifice their social and family lives to achieve it? Or those who want to eat more healthily and recognise that it takes time to turn the ship around and so will have good weeks and bad?

Giving up drinking is a terrible analogy. People arent trying to give up food, they want to reduce weight in the short to medium term and to maintain it at a healthy level long term . Moreover, people encourage alcoholics even if they havent stopped drinking or have had a slip. Whats wrong with positive encouragement?

I think its great that everyone is dedicated enough to keep positng and to share their experiences with everyone else. Fair play to them!
    exactly. We arent robots. I make light of my failures. I used to think like that poster and at one stage my nickname was bony tony. God i long to be called that again :D
    personally my over eating is directly linked to my over drinking. Its all a physological game and unless youve played please keep your comments to yourself.
    Less than 5 years ago i was 80kg and i didnt drink at all. I know the struggles so would never bad mouth anyone or say they are weak willed ive learned so much about the topic and knoe exactly whats going on in my brain but it still doesnt stop me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

Hi all, on intermittent fasting should you be aiming for to have a calorie deficit or should you aim to be right on track with your Basal Metabolic Rate Daily Calorie allowance as I'm a bit confused on that one. I need to make a few tweaks, to my 18 / 6, counting calories being the main one. Having cheat meal on a Saturday instead of a cheat day is the other one! I'm going well and am feeling fine, fasting 6 days a week 18 / 6 but I'm probably getting it wrong with the daily calories and half my week is spent undoing the damage from previous Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Hi all, on intermittent fasting should you be aiming for to have a calorie deficit or should you aim to be right on track with your Basal Metabolic Rate Daily Calorie allowance as I'm a bit confused on that one. I need to make a few tweaks, to my 18 / 6, counting calories being the main one. Having cheat meal on a Saturday instead of a cheat day is the other one! I'm going well and am feeling fine, fasting 6 days a week 18 / 6 but I'm probably getting it wrong with the daily calories and half my week is spent undoing the damage from previous Saturday.

Always a calorie deficit, IF is just a technique to achieving it. Try a tracker like Loseit, it'll show you your defecit over the course of a week, not just individual days. So if you're cheat meal is +2400 cals, you're going to have a tough 6 days going -400 cals each day.

hots wrote: »
    Always a calorie deficit, IF is just a technique to achieving it. Try a tracker like Loseit, it'll show you your defecit over the course of a week, not just individual days. So if you're cheat meal is +2400 cals, you're going to have a tough 6 days going -400 cals each day.
    That's great thanks for that.

That's great thanks for that.

*highly uninformed opinion btw, I'm sure others may say differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

*highly uninformed opinion btw, I'm sure others may say differently.

Not here, fully agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I’ve be intermittent fasting for over three months now. 18 / 6 seven days a week. I use My Fitness Pal as well and am always in deficit. I started my diet on 20th Jan and started IF in March. To date I’m down 50lbs. It works but you have to be in deficit.

Always a calorie deficit, IF is just a technique to achieving it. ............

One of the issues with IF is that many folk reckon it's not a calorie deficit that is facilitating the weight loss. They reckon it's all kinds of bizarre stuff and don't/won't accept that if they are losing weight it's due to a calorie deficit.

So the IF continues but what's gobbled during the eating times is often more substantial calorie wise as time goes on........ no one (well 99% of us didn't) got fat on a small appetite.

One of the issues with IF is that many folk reckon it's not a calorie deficit that is facilitating the weight loss. They reckon it's all kinds of bizarre stuff and don't/won't accept that if they are losing weight it's due to a calorie deficit.

So the IF continues but what's gobbled during the eating times is often more substantial calorie wise as time goes on........ no one (well 99% of us didn't) got fat on a small appetite.

yeah give me an hour a day to eat and I can still put away double/triple what I should do if I wanted :P

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I’ve be intermittent fasting for over three months now. 18 / 6 seven days a week. I use My Fitness Pal as well and am always in deficit. I started my diet on 20th Jan and started IF in March. To date I’m down 50lbs. It works but you have to be in deficit.

Do you know what your average weekly deficit is?
    It'd be interesting data :)

yeah give me an hour a day to eat and I can still put away double/triple what I should do if I wanted :P

250kcals/day over maintenance will have you gain 26 lbs in a year :)
    You don't have to be putting away double/triple what you should do by any stretch.

Do you know what your average weekly deficit is?
    It'd be interesting data :)

I’ve never actually added it up but I can honestly say the last few weeks I’ve been walking a huge amount so I’d definitely be in at least a deficit of 1300 or so per day. Last week I was down 3.3 lbs so my deficit had to have been about 12000 for the week.

• Advertisement

BMR is just the calories you will burn by being alive. Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) takes actual activity into account. For example my BMR might be 1800 but my TDEE is 2300. If I eat 2000, my deficit is 300.

250kcals/day over maintenance will have you gain 26 lbs in a year :)
    You don't have to be putting away double/triple what you should do by any stretch.

haha I'm saying if I was doing IF and not counting I would do damage!

Cork Lass wrote: »

That's great going, fair play!

Week 0 152.1kg
    Week 1 150.2 kg
    Week 2 149.0 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Week 0: 301.6.
    Week 1: 290.6 lbs (-11).
    Week 2: 282.8 lbs (-18.8).
    Week 3: 279.9 lbs (-21.7).
    Week 4: 276.3 lbs (-25.3).
    Week 5: 269.8 lbs (-31.8).
    Week 6: 265.3 lbs (-36.3).
    Week 7: 262.2 lbs (-39.4).
    Week 8: 257.6 lbs (-44).
    Week 9: 251.9 lbs (-49.7).
    Week 10: 249.1 lbs (-52.5).
    Week 11: 249 lbs (-52.6).
    Week 12: 246.1 lbs (-55.5).
    Week 13: 245 lbs (-56.6).
    Week 14: 243.3 lbs (-58.3).
    Week 15: 237.2 lbs (-64.4).
    Week 16: 236.9 lbs (-64.7).
    Week 17: 235.7 lbs (-65.9).
    Week 18: 233.4 lbs (-68.2).
    Week 19: 231.6 lbs (-70).
    Week 20: 234 lbs (-67.6).
    Week 21: 230.9 lbs (-70.7).
    Week 22: 227.3 lbs (-74.3).
    Week 23: 228.2 lbs (-73.4).
    Week 24: 222.5 lbs (-79.1).

Under 16 stone (224 lbs) now. Getting into uncharted territory - my last big 'low point' was 16 stone back in 2008 when I dropped from 18.75 to 16. Last time I was under 16 (on the way up!) was probably about 2004/2005 - not sure exactly, a long time ago anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Week 1 15st 3.5lbs
    Week 2 14st 10.5lbs
    Week 3 14st 10lbs
    Week 4 14st 10.5 lbs
    Week 5 14st 10.5lbs
    Week 6 14st 9.5lbs
    Week 7 14st 11lbs
    Week 8 14st 10lbs
    Week 9 14st 8.5lbs
    Week 10 missed weigh in
    Week 11 missed weigh in
    Week 12 missed weigh in
    Week 13 14st 12lbs
    Week 14 14st 7.5lbs
    Week 15 14st 8.25lbs
    Week 16 no weigh in
    Week 17 no weigh in
    Week 18 no weigh in
    Week 19 15st 1.5lbs
    Week 20 no weigh in
    Week 21 14st 13.5lbs last friday
    Week 22 14st 11.5lbs
    Week 23 no weigh in
    Week 24 14st 9.75lbs
    Week 25 14st 10.75lbs

Week 26 14st 9.5lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

1st Jan 243 lbs
    5th Feb 229 lbs
    17th April 223lbs
    24th April 222lbs

8th May 220 lbs
    15th May 218lbs
    22nd May 216lbs
    29th May 215lbs

26th June 210lbs

Fitness back a good bit now too, lots of biking and hiking over the last few weeks. Weight might not be going down as much as it could but clothes etc definitely noticeable.

Still can't grip weights or a hurley from when I sliced my hand so will have to stick to cardio mainly at the moment. I was looking up exercises for people with broken hands/wrists because that's the most similar thing I could think of, not being able to put any pressure on palm/grip and have found a few things that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Cushtie

I just had a huge post typed out......fecking phone.

Basically mid 40s male.
    5ft 8
    14 stone.
    Very unfit.
    Stressed as F*ck

Normally fairly slight build so about 2 stone over, carrying it in the belly area. Typical Dad bod!!
    Need to find the motivation to get started again, for both diet and fitness. Fitness levels have dropped of seriously in the last couple of years. motivation and energy and lack of both seem to be my major downfalls.
    I, m going to start posting progress, or lack thereof, here to hopefully have a bit of accountability. Any ideas, encouragement greatly appreciated.
    Be mean, I can handle it!

Welcome to the forum Cushtie. You won’t normally find people on this thread being mean or nasty - most of us are in the same boat as you. If I can make a couple of suggestions, these are things that have worked for me:
    Get a good pair of walking shoes and use them.
    Download some podcasts, audio books or a good soundtrack
    Make time each day to walk - get up an hour early and use this time as you time
    Log your food - it’s much easier to keep check of what you’re eating - log everything you consume.
    If you’re a drinker then take it easy - nothing like a drink to make you hungry and weaken your resolve.
    Intermittent fasting is also a great way of helping not to snack in the evenings.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

I try to avoid saturated fats like butter, palmoil, etc. when getting fatter. Eat mayonnaise instead.

Soda bread with chia and sunflower seeds(home baked) fill u up quite well.

Sometimes when I think I'm hungry drinking water helps: I.e. after a meal when much blood goes to the stomach to help digestion I feel for sweets to restore energy supply in my brain. When I drink water instead the craving often goes.

Advertisement