Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Hiitsme

I lost 6 stone 5 years ago and have kept the weight off. I joined Slimming World and found the programme amazing ... not a diet but a food plan that you can do for life. The basic principles are as follows:

Consume 1/3 veg with every meal (where possible). Choose "speed" veg (carrotts, cabbage, onions, peppers etc (not carby veg like parsnips). Speed veg will speed up your weight loss.
    Snack on unlimited "speed" fruit (apples, oranges, berries etc). Not pineapple, grapes, mangoes (full of sugar).
    Bread is restricted to 1 x portion per day (wholemeal bread ONLY). You can have 2 x slices of wholemeal bread or a wholemeal bagel, wholemeal wrap etc.
    Eat unlimited amounts of meat, poultry, fish. Chicken, turkey must be skinless. Remove all visible fat from meat. Regular sausages are out but Mallons Low Fat Sausages are allowed on the plan.
    Potatoes, rice, plain noodles are unlimited.
    All food must be cooked using 1 calorie spray oil (olive oil, butter etc are not allowed). You can make Slimming World chips using waxy baby potatoes sprayed with oil and cooked in a hit oven for 30 mins, sprinkle with salt and smoked paprika ... delicious!! And you can have as much as you want!
    Eggs are unlimited and a life saver on the plan.
    Same with baked beans, unlimited and a great filler.
    Have 2 portions of low fat calcium each day (e.g. Slimline milk, 5 x triangles of Laughing Cow Light Cheese). High fat options like cheddar cheese and cream are severely restricted and not worth having).
    You can have "syns" every day (chocolate, alcohol, crisps etc). Women can have 15 syns, men are allowed 25). I usually save my syns for the weekend. To give you an example ... there is 8 synss in a glass of wine/beer, 12 suns in a Mars Bar, 8 suns in a pkt of crisps). Vodka, gin, bacardi have only 3.5 syns and you can have unlimited diet drinks.

This is the VERY basic principles. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I lost all my weight without doing any exercise btw.

Hiitsme wrote: »
    This is the VERY basic principles. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I lost all my weight without doing any exercise btw.

Sounds like utter bollocks and a sales pitch to me.

All Fat free yogurts are allowed e.g. Muller Light Yogurts are amazing (they have 1/2 syn each but totally worth it). I have 2 x per day. One for breakfast with speed fruit. Same in the evening for dessert after dinner.

1 for for the Mullerlights, yes sorry that is correct.

I think the Mallons Low Fat sausages are 1 syn each too but like the Mullerlights they are totally worth it.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    So you can have beans on toast with sausages, 4 eggs, few bits of smoked turkey on the side for good measure
    5 slices of low fat cheese, 2 diet cokes

This diet is wicked

Yes, you can have this breakfast every morning if you so wish. 1 syn per low fat sausage (Mallons). You should add some speed veg to this breakfast to be totally on plan e.g. some mushrooms, onions, tomatoes grilled or fried in 1 cal spray oil. The key to SW is to never go hungry. If you are hungry EAT! But eat the right foods ...

• Advertisement

Also breakfast cereals (Bran Flakes, Cornflakes) come under the bread/carb category. Cereals are not worth eating imo as you can only have 25 grams (tiny portion). Porridge is better value .... you can have 40grms. A fab breakfast is SW overnight oats. Mix 40grms porridge with chopped "speedy fruit" (apples, mondrian's, berries) and a Mullerlight yogurt. Put in a container with a lid overnight for a delicious breakfast the next morning. Very handy to bring to work.

You are strictly only allowed ONE carb/healthy extra B option per day e.g. cereal, porridge OR a wholemeal bread option. But if you need to have both every day, I wouldn't worry too much if you are losing. If you weight loss stalls, then cut out one and just have your bread or porridge (whichever means the most to you). Most people would chose the bread!

Btw, bananas are allowed on the plan but they are not a speed fruit. I reserve bananas for when I am really hungry and want a quick snack. A banana and coffee fills me between meals.

You can Google the syns in any treat food item and it usually comes up...

I struggled with weight issues my entire life. It's the only programme that ever worked for me. I have recommended SW to lots of people. For those who have a lot to lose I would recommend joining up for the class sessions when lockdown ends because the support/advice/tips you receive each week is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭2 fast

I lost 6 stone 5 years ago and have kept the weight off. I joined Slimming World and found the programme amazing ... not a diet but a food plan that you can do for life. The basic principles are as follows:

Consume 1/3 veg with every meal (where possible). Choose "speed" veg (carrotts, cabbage, onions, peppers etc (not carby veg like parsnips). Speed veg will speed up your weight loss.
    Snack on unlimited "speed" fruit (apples, oranges, berries etc). Not pineapple, grapes, mangoes (full of sugar).
    Bread is restricted to 1 x portion per day (wholemeal bread ONLY). You can have 2 x slices of wholemeal bread or a wholemeal bagel, wholemeal wrap etc.
    Eat unlimited amounts of meat, poultry, fish. Chicken, turkey must be skinless. Remove all visible fat from meat. Regular sausages are out but Mallons Low Fat Sausages are allowed on the plan.
    All food must be cooked using 1 calorie spray oil (olive oil, butter etc are not allowed). You can make Slimming World chips using waxy baby potatoes sprayed with oil and cooked in a hit oven for 30 mins, sprinkle with salt and smoked paprika ... delicious!! And you can have as much as you want!
    Have 2 portions of low fat calcium each day (e.g. Slimline milk, 5 x triangles of Laughing Cow Light Cheese). High fat options like cheddar cheese and cream are severely restricted and not worth having).
    You can have "syns" every day (chocolate, alcohol, crisps etc). Women can have 15 syns, men are allowed 25). I usually save my syns for the weekend. To give you an example ... there is 8 synss in a glass of wine/beer, 12 suns in a Mars Bar, 8 suns in a pkt of crisps). Vodka, gin, bacardi have only 3.5 syns and you can have unlimited diet drinks.

Slimming world works great for some people. This idea of "free food" is ridiculous there is no such thing. Maintain a calorie deficit no matter how healthy the food is.

This does seem like a sales pitch.

Augeo wrote: »
    Sounds like utter bollocks and a sales pitch to me.

Is it necessary to be so rude ??? I'm selling nothing. I'm just sharing my own story of how I lost a lot of weight in the hope it will help others.

• Advertisement

2 fast wrote: »
    Slimming world works great for some people. This idea of "free food" is ridiculous there is no such thing. Maintain a calorie deficit no matter how healthy the food is.

I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH SLIMMING WORLD WHATSOEVER. I just happen to be a former member who had very good success on this programme.

I will stop posting if it bothers you that much!

Anyone who genuinely wants advice about losing weight can PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

2 fast wrote: »

It works really well for some but you have to buy into it, it's a bit too cult-like for me not to sneer at it though. It's 'softer' than just CICO, and with the meetings they seem to get benefit from talking to each other and that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

OmegaGene wrote: »
    slimming world isnt for me i think it is all a bit silly eating crap daily or weekly just because you can but hey each to their own and whatever works for them

Aye, there's the rub, you become conditioned to thinking these foods are acceptable and once off plan gradually drift back to over consumption then have to go back on plan, as a nutritional model it's, well, ****e really, as a business model it's pretty damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

bladespin wrote: »
    Aye, there's the rub, you become conditioned to thinking these foods are acceptable and once off plan gradually drift back to over consumption then have to go back on plan, as a nutritional model it's, well, ****e really, as a business model it's pretty damn good.
    The "rules" for those diets demonise fat too much, but they are ok.
    For me the issues is that people usually start trying to "hack" the rules.

Swaping one ingredient for another that score better, but same calories.
    How to make cupcakes from ramdom low point foods.
    This yogurt is half the synsm so you can eat twice as many etc

It just promotes bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

1st Jan 243 lbs
    5th Feb 229 lbs
    17th April 223lbs
    24th April 222lbs

8th May 220 lbs
    15th May 218lbs

25lbs down overall. 3 more to the 2 stone mark.

First 2lb week in a while, wasn't far off 3. Managed to get a lot more exercise in and finally getting the diet right. Would love to add weights to the exercise because I haven't touched any since lockdown, but I don't have any at home and they're very hard to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Week 0: 301.6.
    Week 1: 290.6 lbs (-11).
    Week 2: 282.8 lbs (-18.8).
    Week 3: 279.9 lbs (-21.7).
    Week 4: 276.3 lbs (-25.3).
    Week 5: 269.8 lbs (-31.8).
    Week 6: 265.3 lbs (-36.3).
    Week 7: 262.2 lbs (-39.4).
    Week 8: 257.6 lbs (-44).
    Week 9: 251.9 lbs (-49.7).
    Week 10: 249.1 lbs (-52.5).
    Week 11: 249 lbs (-52.6).
    Week 12: 246.1 lbs (-55.5).
    Week 13: 245 lbs (-56.6).
    Week 14: 243.3 lbs (-58.3).
    Week 15: 237.2 lbs (-64.4).
    Week 16: 236.9 lbs (-64.7).
    Week 17: 235.7 lbs (-65.9).
    Week 18: 233.4 lbs (-68.2).

Happy enough with that this week given I not alone did the dog at the weekend, but Tuesday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Eat unlimited amounts of meat, poultry, fish.

A diet that includes unlimited food is fundamentally unsound.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Unlimited amounts of rice, potatoes, meat (regardless of cut?), beans, eggs.

Is this a plan for bodybuilders?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Originally Posted by Hiitsme View Post

Eat unlimited amounts of meat, poultry, fish.

Unlimited veg even fruit i could understand. Unless you are someone with a small appetite naturally.

Unlimited whole eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Unlimited veg even fruit i could understand. Unless you are someone with a small appetite naturally.

Unlimited whole eggs?
    What's wrong with eggs? They are nutritious and low carb and low calorie, you would be hard pushed to over eat eggs.
    In my house my missus prefers slimming world to my low carb approach. Both methods work, one is a low fat diet and the other a low carb diet.
    P. S my weight loss has failed miserably. Im now the heaviest ive ever beem weighting a whopping 109kg:eek:

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Unlimited amounts of rice, potatoes, meat (regardless of cut?), beans, eggs.

Is this a plan for bodybuilders?
    Meat has to be lean with fat removed in slomming world and 5% mince etc.
    I don't think beans are unlimited anymore they changed that a few years ago they are now 1 syn per portion i think.

iamtony wrote: »
    What's wrong with eggs? They are nutritious and low carb and low calorie, you would be hard pushed to over eat eggs.
    In my house my missus prefers slimming world to my low carb approach. Both methods work, one is a low fat diet and the other a low carb diet.
    P. S my weight loss has failed miserably. Im now the heaviest ive ever beem weighting a whopping 109kg:eek:

If it's any solace remember that your current weight is someone else's goal weight! I'm not much less than you (~106 kg) - if you'd told me in January (when I was 137kg) that I'd be your weight now I'd have laughed at you!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

1st Jan 243 lbs
    5th Feb 229 lbs
    17th April 223lbs
    24th April 222lbs

8th May 220 lbs
    15th May 218lbs
    22nd May 216lbs

2lbs, a bit of that thanks to the previous week losing closer to 2.5 and being around 217.7 starting off.

I'm after getting a deep laceration my left hand which took a decent enough bit of meat away with it, so lifting weights/pushups/pullups are out for the foreseeable. 1 in a million accident, seems to happen me often when I get near my goals! Had to go to A&E with and Doc said it could be a few months before I'll be able to grip anything on that side. So lots of cycling and running for the foreseeable.

Meat has to be lean with fat removed in slomming world and 5% mince etc.......Both methods work, one is a low fat diet and the other a low carb diet.
    P. S my weight loss has failed miserably. Im now the heaviest ive ever beem weighting a whopping 109kg....

5% mince is 275kcals per 100g ........... that's not low calorie food to be having unlimited amounts of.
    The only diet that works is one that introduces a calorie deficit. You can eat all the low fat and low carb stuff you want but if there's no calorie deficit there's no weight loss.

5% mince is 275kcals per 100g ........... that's not low calorie food to be having unlimited amounts of.
    The only diet that works is one that introduces a calorie deficit. You can eat all the low fat and low carb stuff you want but if there's no calorie deficit there's no weight loss.
    Never realised mince was that high in calories. Ive used it in my low carb weight loss regimes with success before but not that often.

If it's any solace remember that your current weight is someone else's goal weight! I'm not much less than you (~106 kg) - if you'd told me in January (when I was 137kg) that I'd be your weight now I'd have laughed at you!
    thanks and that's great progress your making well done:)

Never realised mince was that high in calories.........

I was 105kg two years ago....... started calorie counting........ went to 2200/2300kcals/day for 6 months and lost 40lbs.

I was rarely hungry and ate very well, but only because I ate nutrient dense, low calorie food in the main. That did allow treats......... about 20% of my daily calories was ice cream or chocolate etc.

It doesn't work for everyone but sustained weight loss without calorie counting or a meal plan done for you (essentially that's calories counted for you) is throwing darts blindfolded IMO.

Week 0: 301.6.
    Week 1: 290.6 lbs (-11).
    Week 2: 282.8 lbs (-18.8).
    Week 3: 279.9 lbs (-21.7).
    Week 4: 276.3 lbs (-25.3).
    Week 5: 269.8 lbs (-31.8).
    Week 6: 265.3 lbs (-36.3).
    Week 7: 262.2 lbs (-39.4).
    Week 8: 257.6 lbs (-44).
    Week 9: 251.9 lbs (-49.7).
    Week 10: 249.1 lbs (-52.5).
    Week 11: 249 lbs (-52.6).
    Week 12: 246.1 lbs (-55.5).
    Week 13: 245 lbs (-56.6).
    Week 14: 243.3 lbs (-58.3).
    Week 15: 237.2 lbs (-64.4).
    Week 16: 236.9 lbs (-64.7).
    Week 17: 235.7 lbs (-65.9).
    Week 18: 233.4 lbs (-68.2).
    Week 19: 231.6 lbs (-70).

Down five stone on the nose! Another ~2.5 and we'll see where we go from there (slowly I'd imagine....).

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Where are you getting that information from?

Tesco Organic 5% is 122kcal per 100g their Angus mince is 108kcal off the top of my head.

I've been considering easing up on IF for awhile out of sheer boredom.

I've no motivation to exercise at the minute and am tempted to break my fast way earlier than I typically would.

Ready access to my fridge and a general malaise given current circumstances is not helping matters and the whole point of IF for me was that adherence was very high and not an effort.

I hit my weight goal last week, Not really sure what to do with myself now.

• Advertisement

Where are you getting that information from?

Tesco Organic 5% is 122kcal per 100g their Angus mince is 108kcal off the top of my head.

I've been considering easing up on IF for awhile out of sheer boredom.

Apologies I was mistaken. I was actually quoting the kcals for a 250g portion.

On IF, in my opinion it's not sustainable.

Advertisement