Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

Yeah I thought we were getting a Mexican restaurant, was quite excited tbh. Looks like what they have planned is .. something else. Beer towers, multiple sports screens, tequila shots etc. Sounds tacky as hell and as Mexican as Ballyhaunis. Think I'll pass.

Jesus wept. Maybe try the place first before you decide to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

DLS_75 wrote: »

id have to agree to be honest, its probably just not for either of us, but hopefully its successful, in a market that looks to be in serious trouble, and im sure theres a market for it, so hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Wouldnt mind another Mexican food place in Waterford tbh. We have a load of asian fusion/street food places but only two Mexican places and only one of them just does Burritos more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Waterford has a few Tex Mexs. No Mexican yet. Burritos arent really Mexican, kinda but barely and usually in real Mexican food. We just have just Yank imitation Mexican.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

DLS_75 wrote: »

No thanks. I would be attending with a small young family and from the thrust of their social media advertising , we clearly aren't their target market, so I'll pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

No thanks. I would be attending with a small young family and from the thrust of their social media advertising , we clearly aren't their target market, so I'll pass.

But, just to be clear, if you were their target market you'd go?
    You're miffed that they haven't targeted you with their advertising?

kuang1 wrote: »
    But, just to be clear, if you were their target market you'd go?
    You're miffed that they haven't targeted you with their advertising?

If I was a mid 20s soccer loving lager lout type? Probably not tbh. It's misguided even for the market they are aiming at.

From what I can see the food offering is a banner of convenience for the current times. It's a pub by the look of things, looking to circumvent normal licencing laws posing as a restaurant.

If we permitted alcohol to be served in all cafes and takeaways you'd avoid this problem.

If we permitted alcohol to be served in all cafes and takeaways you'd avoid this problem.

maybe, and it also could introduce further complexities also, its hard to know what exactly to do with highly addictive substances, theres generally no clear solutions, every approach has inherent problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Yeah I thought we were getting a Mexican restaurant, was quite excited tbh. Looks like what they have planned is .. something else. Beer towers, multiple sports screens, tequila shots etc. Sounds tacky as hell and as Mexican as Ballyhaunis. Think I'll pass.
    I have just seen that advertising , looks very dodgy indeed given the health guidelines surrouding drunkness in relation to covid etc.. looks like the food offering is just a ruse to sell tanks of larger and cocktails by the poster...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭spaceCreated

Sounds like somewhere great for watching matches and having a few drinks and bit of food on a weekend. Definitely wont appeal to everyone but for those it does it sounds great. Hopefully it wont close down before it gets going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's a city centre location, with a great menu of what should be great tasting and convenient food. I'm sure there will be a family element to it because live sports will only get you so far with keeping busy! Hope it does very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

Wouldnt mind another Mexican food place in Waterford tbh. We have a load of asian fusion/street food places but only two Mexican places and only one of them just does Burritos more or less.

yeah the lack of options here is really annoying, coming back here from living in cork city has me looking at just eat depressed lol, hopefully this place does well and others can take a chance on other new ventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

Another company added to the Causeway Group and another company not to support due to it's owners actions.

Gardner wrote:
    Another company added to the Causeway Group and another company not to support due to it's owners actions.

What's the craic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just going to take this thread a different direction - there's going to be around a 1000 new housing units added to the south east of the city over the next two or three years and I'm not aware of any supporting road or education infrastructure being added. I've only put in the rough areas that I know of (plus ? for Paddocks which I bet is appealed or resubmitted successfully at some point) so might have not included some builds.

37sww.jpg

As anyone who lives on the Williamstown/Dunmore roads area knows all the senior school traffic has no choice but to filter down two roads which are congested to feck due to other demands like UHW stuff, commuting to the factories, estates in the west of the city and usual traffic into the centre and crossing the bridge.

So isn't it time for someone to speak up for the development of a major secondary school in the area so that if nothing else it means round trips of up to 45-50 minutes can be reduced greatly. The logical spot would be on the ring road at the airport roundabout, the area I marked out is roughly the same as the Ursuline school on upper Ballytruckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I've been saying the same about a secondary school being needed badly for the Dunmore Rd area, but I wouldn't go with a location on the ORR like that. I think it might attract the same unwanted attention as the school in Carrickpherish. There is land opposite Ballygunner school beside Havenwood that could incorporate the Gael Colaiste.

It's actually ridiculous the way we allow houses to be built in this country with plans for no other supporting infrastructure or community buildings. Just houses. And this gets approved for planning every time. Bizarre.

The latest move throughout Europe is toward a "15 minute city" everything you need , shops, cafes schools etc should be available within 15 mins walk or cycle from your home. The Germans to my knowledge do not allow for purely residential development, there must be an entire village like set up with bakeries, supermarkets schools etc.

Meanwhile in another 50 years time our grandchildren will be still lamenting the lack of forward thinking present in all decisions in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Who are the councillors for that part of town?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Azatadine

gscully wrote: »
    I've been saying the same about a secondary school being needed badly for the Dunmore Rd area, but I wouldn't go with a location on the ORR like that. I think it might attract the same unwanted attention as the school in Carrickpherish. There is land opposite Ballygunner school beside Havenwood that could incorporate the Gael Colaiste.

In fairness, the school in Carrickphierrish is a very well maintained facility and a very good school. The problem is what's up the road from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

The ones getting brown envelopes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Gardner wrote: »

But its owners are in the usa on the other hand the rent inflation in town reeks of the claws from a vulture fund....

Hoffmans wrote: »
    But its owners are in the usa on the other hand the rent inflation in town reeks of the claws from a vulture fund....

Vulture funds don't practise landlordism. Do you mean a REIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Azatadine wrote: »
    In fairness, the school in Carrickphierrish is a very well maintained facility and a very good school. The problem is what's up the road from it.

That's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Would it fall into Waterford City West/Tramore? That'd be Joe Conway (Ind), Jim Griffin (SF), Susan Gallagher (GP), Joe Kelly (Ind), Lola O'Sullivan (FG) and Eamon Quinlan (FF).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

It's actually ridiculous the way we allow houses to be built in this country with plans for no other supporting infrastructure or community buildings. Just houses. And this gets approved for planning every time. Bizarre.

The latest move throughout Europe is toward a "15 minute city" everything you need , shops, cafes schools etc should be available within 15 mins walk or cycle from your home. The Germans to my knowledge do not allow for purely residential development, there must be an entire village like set up with bakeries, supermarkets schools etc.

Meanwhile in another 50 years time our grandchildren will be still lamenting the lack of forward thinking present in all decisions in this country.

That is the most annoying thing about what has happened on the Carrickphierish rd. They built a new road with cycle lanes and footpaths then a school. To open the area for development. Then put a halting site right in the middle, I’m even afraid to cycle or walk that road now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Dunmore Road/Williamstown would be in Waterford City East.

Adam Wyse(FF), Davy Daniels (Ind)Jody Power (Green), Eddie Mulligan(FF) and Mary Roche (Ind) and Pat Fitzgerald (SF).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

BBM77 wrote: »
    That is the most annoying thing about what has happened on the Carrickphierish rd. They built a new road with cycle lanes and footpaths then a school. To open the area for development. Then put a halting site right in the middle, I’m even afraid to cycle or walk that road now.

I wonder what the number of reported assaults/mugging/robberies of pedestrian/ cyclists etc have been....?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Muttley79

Waterford city site with scope for more than 300 homes for €3.25m (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/waterford-city-site-with-scope-for-more-than-300-homes-for-3-25m-1.4377890
    Completely unsustainable on an already very busy Williamstown road.surely a relief road would have to be built to ease congestion already there if over 300 houses got the green light

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Waterford city site with scope for more than 300 homes for €3.25m (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/waterford-city-site-with-scope-for-more-than-300-homes-for-3-25m-1.4377890
    Completely unsustainable on an already very busy Williamstown road.surely a relief road would have to be built to ease congestion already there if over 300 houses got the green light

Lots of planned development in this town - all in the wrong place. Waterford becomes a suburb of the Dunmore Road.

East Waterford is poorly accessible too - hemmed in by the river, the estuary and the sea. This means all outbound traffic flows are westbound leading the choke points along the Dunmore and Williamstown Roads.

Advertisement