Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Just posted by Cllr Seamus Ryan on Twitter

“A welcome planning notice has gone in this week for the former #Waterford Crystal site. If approved the work will consist of alterations to the structure internally and externally with a portion of the former showroom being converted to offices and a retail unit and food court.”

Pity it went on fire last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The building seems to gone into a rapid decline (more that normal) the past few weeks, or maybe it's just I noticed it when sitting in traffic this week. Looks like all the ground floor windows of the office part are all smashed in.

The new car park that was put in there just seems like a waste. Was it put in there to keep the council off his back in stating that the area is now being used for something like a car park and not to get a fine for a vacant site?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

iseegirls wrote:
    The new car park that was put in there just seems like a waste. Was it put in there to keep the council off his back in stating that the area is now being used for something like a car park and not to get a fine for a vacant site?

I suspect you could be right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The site was due to start costing Frisby in 2019 so that car park was a ruse.

36 acres to be developed. One forgets how big that site is.

Just seen this, people have been noting that Dungarvan is a town on the up and it looks like it's being reflected in average house prices. Darker the colour high the price. I doubt there is a housing shortage any greater than in Waterford City in the 058 area to explain this.

?width=600&version=4681428

Yes I do realise a one euro swing could swap the 051/058 regions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Came across this yesterday......

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/projects/public-consultations/index.htm

Fairly bold plans for Mt Congreve estate.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Came across this yesterday......

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/projects/public-consultations/index.htm

Fairly bold plans for Mt Congreve estate.....!

Great to see it progressing. Such a nice place out there and its potential is huge. Fantastic location. Fair play to the council for taking it on. The main house is fairly big and it definitely should be refurbished and opened up. I had a walk around in there before and it is some waste of a great space. I was glad to hear the council took it over as at least they will do something with it.

Improvements to sight lines on the L4411 by setting back the estate wall at the entrance just west of the main entrance into the House and Gardens

I used to drive that road on work days and saw that wall gradually get tidied up and topped off. I hope the lads who did that work are either dead or philosophical!

Great to see that level of development being undertaken. I hope the indo approves ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

alta stare wrote: »
    Great to see it progressing. Such a nice place out there and its potential is huge. Fantastic location. Fair play to the council for taking it on. The main house is fairly big and it definitely should be refurbished and opened up. I had a walk around in there before and it is some waste of a great space. I was glad to hear the council took it over as at least they will do something with it.

I was in there too but I couldn't get into the house, that was closed off. Did you manage to get it on a tour or are you saying you just walked past it? Its a fantastic looking house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I was in there too but I couldn't get into the house, that was closed off. Did you manage to get it on a tour or are you saying you just walked past it? Its a fantastic looking house.

House isn't generally open to the public. I've been in it very briefly a few years ago. It's pretty much empty now, think all the furniture was sold off.

Great to see these plans for Mt. Congreve. What an amazing asset to have locally.

• Advertisement

These big country piles are really about the interiors and the interiors reflect the family history so if it's empty it'll seem a rather artificial experience if the rooms are basically freshly decorated and empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

These big country piles are really about the interiors and the interiors reflect the family history so if it's empty it'll seem a rather artificial experience if the rooms are basically freshly decorated and empty.

Yeah I think that ship has sailed!

Looks like the plans are to essentially convert it to guest accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The contents of the house including the Mount Congreve Library collection were sold by public auction when Ambrose Congreve died

Lack of foresight there unfortunately. Be impossible to bring everything back together now, esp at an affordable price.

I was able to get access via work. Its a fine house. All the rooms are empty which really shows how vast they are. Id hate to have to heat that house :D

So many rooms even down in the servants area\kitchens. Too big of a place to live imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

alta stare wrote: »
    I was able to get access via work. Its a fine house. All the rooms are empty which really shows how vast they are. Id hate to have to heat that house :D

So many rooms even down in the servants area\kitchens. Too big of a place to live imo.

Ah I see, it looked class when I took a few pics of it as I walked on by. I thought I saw an old spiral staircase as well, I wouldn't say they make them like that anymore!

Ah I see, it looked class when I took a few pics of it as I walked on by. I thought I saw an old spiral staircase as well, I wouldn't say they make them like that anymore!

It is an impressive building for sure. Really shows how well they lived back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Lack of foresight there unfortunately. Be impossible to bring everything back together now, esp at an affordable price.

Think its nowt to do with foresight, pretty sure that was the agreement between owner and government made 30/49 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Max Powers wrote: »
    Think its nowt to do with foresight, pretty sure that was the agreement between owner and government made 30/49 years ago

The agreement was that the state would get the house and grounds but not the contents. That didn’t stop the state from buying the contents either before or at auction. There was even wallpaper sold! As others have said the house is now a dead duck as regards being an attraction in itself such as Muckross House and it needs to be reimagined in some other way.
    I think the auction realized something like €4.5m. At the risk of drawing the attention of the usual suspects who (pa)troll the Waterford threads, this would not have been allowed to happen in literally every single other county in the country. The house contents are scattered to the winds and the house story with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Deise Vu wrote: »
    the usual suspects who (pa)troll

V good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The agreement was that the state would get the house and grounds but not the contents. That didn’t stop the state from buying the contents either before or at auction. There was even wallpaper sold! As others have said the house is now a dead duck as regards being an attraction in itself such as Muckross House and it needs to be reimagined in some other way.
    I think the auction realized something like €4.5m. At the risk of drawing the attention of the usual suspects who (pa)troll the Waterford threads, this would not have been allowed to happen in literally every single other county in the country. The house contents are scattered to the winds and the house story with them.

Yeah, it is a bit of a shame. I saw on nationwide recently an old house in wexford that they have made into a visitor attraction (might be one you reference) its more of a castle type house. The gardens are the big attraction for MC, far superior to the nationwide one I was watching. I dont think the house is a dead duck by any stretch even with contents gone although it is a pity at least some of the better contents not saved but like you say, it needs reimagining and support now, we (council) have a few short years of additional funding to make the whole place viable or else, house contents will be the least of the problems.
    Good article on it in Irish independent, June 15 2012, we have track record of doing same with other big houses. Interesting read on some of items sold in 2 separate auctions, seems like the good stuff was sold separately in London.

Something entirely different - the port has a new customer.

https://www.waterfordlive.ie/news/home/423933/international-freight-firm-announce-new-waterford-rotterdam-service.html
    BG Freight Line, in partnership with Maersk, is starting a new weekly service on the Waterford-Rotterdam route that will act as a deep-sea feeder for businesses in Ireland who are exporting or importing goods globally through Europe’s largest seaport.

The new service is being introduced to support Maersk’s customers in the southeast and in response to the needs of some of the region’s largest industries.

BG Freight Line is a long-established European shipping line and part of the Peel Ports Group. It runs a fleet of 23 fully containerised vessels from its headquarters in Rotterdam and focuses on northern European, UK and Ireland connections.
    Frank Ronan, Chief Executive, Port of Waterford, added: “We are delighted to have this extra weekly service commencing on Saturday (22 June). It marks the culmination of a lot of work over a significant period of time and is due in no small part to the consistent support of the region’s exporters, particularly from the agri-foods sector."

"The new service will be especially valuable to customers shipping containers to/from Africa, Asia and the Americas as it will feed into the global hub at Rotterdam and allow seamless movement of goods between Waterford and the rest of the world."

And the big port picture master plan.

https://waterford-news.ie/2019/06/14/public-consultation-on-ports-25-year-master-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

:eek: Companies can now export to China from Waterford port, that is a huge development for Waterford in terms of attracting companies here. Very well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

I wonder how big the house is inside? Would it be viable to convert to a five star hotel which could generate some serious revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sheldor_91

Can anyone shed any light as to what’s going on with Foxwoods “the park” it seems like an eternity they are taking to release homes down there for this phase ? I’ve heard people who were told January for move in still aren’t in

This what desperately needs work - Johns Street, right off one of the main thoroughfares and a hole. Interesting though probably chance that one side of the road is so much worse than the other (not that the other is any work of art)

2JR8K.jpg

I see they've tidied this up (whoever they are - owners or council). It's a start.

Johns Street is closed next week for three/four days while they resurface it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,879 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I see they've tidied this up (whoever they are - owners or council). It's a start.

Johns Street is closed next week for three/four days while they resurface it.

Was there not a hotel going in that area ??

In a unrelated note a boutique hotel is going into one of the places on the quay. What is a boutique hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What is a boutique hotel?

A small hotel!

Smart answers aside, tourists go for boutique hotels because they’re more individual, the service is more personal, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,879 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

fricatus wrote: »
    A small hotel!

Smart answers aside, tourists go for boutique hotels because they’re more individual, the service is more personal, etc.

A hotel mostly for hipsters and twats then lol

Always wondered what's it was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

PTH2009 wrote: »
    A hotel mostly for hipsters and twats then lol

Always wondered what's it was

No its just a small hotel with a more personal feel to it,you obviously never stayed in a boutique hotel before then?

Advertisement