Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do during hosepipe ban?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

iamtony wrote: »
    34 Clonshaugh Cl
    34 Clonshaugh Cl, Clonshagh, Dublin 17, D17 F962

https://goo.gl/maps/8QfLfg8v1Ru

That white thing is a gazebo with the koi pond next to it, greenhouse after that and down the end is where I keep the hens and the rabbits. Imagine that, in a city. The hens probably have more room than some bedsits to be fair.
    Biggest drawback is the broadband is only 360Mbs per second its shocking stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

LOL. If any of you want to fill up your water can from my pools your more than welcome. I'll be changing the water daily cause those pesky flies will end up in their and us city slickers cant handle a fly landing in our tea without making another cup never mind a pool that's just gross:)

Jeez Tony, but you're planning is nothing short of brilliant. I don't know how you even have the brainpower to figure out that daily water change strategy in this hot ould weather what with the brain matter shrinking due to the heat and all...I can't imagine how many other brilliant schemes you'll invent for using other Lidl stuff around the gaff once you cool down a bit after filling the pools using the bucket.

BTW, have you decided on whether it'll be 10 it 12 pools? It's just that you're now up to 5,750 bucketfuls a week per pool, so I'd be worried enough about you having to do the 52,500 a week and would be a bit more worried if you had to push that up to 63,000.

Do you need a loan of any buckets?

PS Sorry to hear about the sh!te broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

It's great to see all the public spirited posts sharing tips on how to legally bypass the hosepipe ban. When water is cut off to some areas the people will thank you.

Clonshagh, Dublin 17.

That white thing is a gazebo with the koi pond next to it, greenhouse after that and down the end is where I keep the hens and the rabbits. Imagine that, in a city. The hens probably have more room than some bedsits to be fair.

In fairness, the exact address probably wasn't necessary. Might do no harm to take that out of your post, incase anyone tries to steal your pool :p

You're a bit further north of the city than i anticipated (not sure i'd call you 'city centre' :P ) but that's still a large enough garden in fairness.

I think you're quite lucky to be the last house in the cul de sac there too (either means you're tormented with anti social behaviour, or no one ever goes down near you, and judging by the general area on Google Maps, i'd say you dont get too many issues, as the place looks quite clean and presentable (aside from the eyesore Graffiti, but that doesn't really seem to make it any further than the wall beside the green area. so i presume thats as far as the teens go, which is good).

Still, if it were me, I'd be selling the house at a marked up price and moving to the middle of Cavan for much less (that's my long term plan! :P )

In fairness, the exact address probably wasn't necessary. Might do no harm to take that out of your post, incase anyone tries to steal your pool :p

You're a bit further north of the city than i anticipated (not sure i'd call you 'city centre' :P ) but that's still a large enough garden in fairness.

I think you're quite lucky to be the last house in the cul de sac there too (either means you're tormented with anti social behaviour, or no one ever goes down near you, and judging by the general area on Google Maps, i'd say you dont get too many issues, as the place looks quite clean and presentable (aside from the eyesore Graffiti, but that doesn't really seem to make it any further than the wall beside the green area. so i presume thats as far as the teens go, which is good).

Still, if it were me, I'd be selling the house at a marked up price and moving to the middle of Cavan for much less (that's my long term plan! :P )

I think Tony will be busy enough for the next couple of weeks what with keeping his 10( or 12) pools refilled and free of critters every day and won't be having time trying to get onto Daft on his sh!te Broadband to check out his new gaff in Cavan. What's he going to do with the Koi? The Koi wouldn't last a week in Cavan! I'm not even sure the rabbits would survive the winters there either.

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I think Tony will be busy enough for the next couple of weeks what with keeping his 10( or 12) pools refilled and free of critters every day and won't be having time trying to get onto Daft on his sh!te Broadband to check out his new gaff in Cavan. What's he going to do with the Koi? The Koi wouldn't last a week in Cavan! I'm not even sure the rabbits would survive the winters there either.

I think Tony was being sarcastic when he commented that he was going to fill every bit of space on front and back gardens with swimming pools, and empty and refill them every time a fly landed in one.

(unless he is smart enough to do exactly that, then rent them out by the hour for people to use. Quids-in!).

I think Tony was being sarcastic when he commented that he was going to fill every bit of space on front and back gardens with swimming pools, and empty and refill them every time a fly landed in one.

(unless he is smart enough to do exactly that, then rent them out by the hour for people to use. Quids-in!).

I dunno but Tony strikes me to be a very smart dude. I'd say he has a cunning plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Buy some 5L bottles of water from Aldi, only a couple of euro.

PLL wrote: »
    Buy some 5L bottles of water from Aldi, only a couple of euro.

Ah now come on! Sure if Tony has to be going into Aldi to buy the water for his pools, he'll have no time for scooping out the dead flies and feeding them to the Koi. Ah sure if there's only 5L in each bottle, that'd take at least 105,000 bottles a week to be hauled out of Aldi.

I don't think the Aldi strategy will work in fairness. But fair play, it was a good try.

I don't know where Tony is. Maybe he's out the back clearing space for the pools. BuT he needs to tell us what he wants us to do. Like, I put out a call earlier and I have a load of old Mayonnaise buckets from Centra and Supermac's that'll be ready on Tuesday and they're going to want to know whether they'll need to deliver them to Clonshaugh or to Cavan...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭threetrees

Maybe filling pools is insignificant, maybe people will buy and keep till another time, maybe only people outside the restricted area will buy, BUT it's the general message that's being sent out - "selling large pools during a hosepipe ban" just isn't good marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have put a basin in my sink , every time we rinse something or run the tap for cold water etc its gathering in the basin .I then empty it on to the flowers when its full .I was amazed yesterday that I emptied it three times over the day .Its easy to do and the flowers get that water that would have gone down the drain .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Ah now come on! Sure if Tony has to be going into Aldi to buy the water for his pools, he'll have no time for scooping out the dead flies and feeding them to the Koi. Ah sure if there's only 5L in each bottle, that'd take at least 105,000 bottles a week to be hauled out of Aldi.

I don't think the Aldi strategy will work in fairness. But fair play, it was a good try.

I don't know where Tony is. Maybe he's out the back clearing space for the pools. BuT he needs to tell us what he wants us to do. Like, I put out a call earlier and I have a load of old Mayonnaise buckets from Centra and Supermac's that'll be ready on Tuesday and they're going to want to know whether they'll need to deliver them to Clonshaugh or to Cavan...
    Tom. Is it Aldi the pools are in? I bought a tent in lidl and have it pitched outside their front door and I'm sleeping here waiting for the pools to be released, I'm first in the que but if its Aldi that are selling the pools I haven't got a hope of getting them as the que will be around the block at this stage:)
    P. S please send buckets to lidl I'm Burstin at this stage. The beer didn't help last night!

Gas, I never though about the Street View ha ha. That image is so old it's a snap shot in time, hopefully when they update you can still go see the old images. My front garden is so much prettier these days particularly the wall which is now cream and has lots of hanging baskets(lidls finest).
    Not much anti social behavior. The odd time kids climb the wall as a short cut to the shops or going the other way to the park at the end of the road. But it's covered in tar now so not an issue. The green space at the end of the road is only used by the kids, mostly girls for some reason and all around 8 years old.
    Hilarious I looked for your grafitti at the end of the road and I found a name painted, it must of been done 20 years ago. The guy who wrote it is behind bars now days.
    As for being central, if you zoom out you'll see the r139 at the other side of the park, I believe that's the border(definitely used to be) between Co. Dublin and the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

threetrees wrote: »
    Maybe filling pools is insignificant, maybe people will buy and keep till another time, maybe only people outside the restricted area will buy, BUT it's the general message that's being sent out - "selling large pools during a hosepipe ban" just isn't good marketing.

Its brilliant marketing just look at the free publicity, there can hardly be anyone in Ireland that doesn't know Lidl were selling swimming pools and most people could even tell you what size they are - 7,500l.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Will freshly laid rollout lawn recover if I don't water it for a month?

We just moved into our house two weeks ago and spent thousands on getting proper grass in the garden. (instead of buying furniture for the living room)

The company who laid the grass said it's paramount that I water it 3 times a day. I can't afford to lose this money, so can you please advise what's the minimum I'll have to do to keep it alive?

xboxdad wrote: »
    Will freshly laid rollout lawn recover if I don't water it for a month?

We just moved into our house two weeks ago and spent thousands on getting proper grass in the garden. (instead of buying furniture for the living room)

The company who laid the grass said it's paramount that I water it 3 times a day. I can't afford to lose this money, so can you please advise what's the minimum I'll have to do to keep it alive?

Three times a day is ridiculous, if you are watering properly with something like a lawn queen sprinkler then once every 3 days would be more like it.

my3cents wrote: »
    Three times a day is ridiculous, if you are watering properly with something like a lawn queen sprinkler then once every 3 days would be more like it.

Thank you! I only have a hose ATM, but I'll get whatever it takes to breach the ban as little is possible while still keeping my investment alive.

Thank you! I only have a hose ATM, but I'll get whatever it takes to breach the ban as little is possible while still keeping my investment alive.

When you do it first put some jam jars around the lawn under the spray then you'll get some idea of how much water the lawn is getting, from them you can take a guesstimate as to how long you need to leave it running each time. Google will tell you that a lawn needs and inch to and inch and a half a week but it doesn't need that much just to keep it going. About half an inch every three days will be more than enough. Also much more effective if put on late at night when its cooler and had time to soak in.

When you do it first put some jam jars around the lawn under the spray then you'll get some idea of how much water the lawn is getting, from them you can take a guesstimate as to how long you need to leave it running each time. Google will tell you that a lawn needs and inch to and inch and a half a week but it doesn't need that much just to keep it going. About half an inch every three days will be more than enough. Also much more effective if put on late at night when its cooler and had time to soak in.

Thank you. Is this the rule for already established lawn or freshly laid lawn that still has to get integrated with the soil?

• Advertisement

Thank you. Is this the rule for already established lawn or freshly laid lawn that still has to get integrated with the soil?

An established lawn an inch or more of water a week but you only need to keep turf alive and the soil beneath it moist. Too much water at this stage won't help you.

An established lawn an inch or more of water a week but you only need to keep turf alive and the soil beneath it moist. Too much water at this stage won't help you.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help!

Thank you, I really appreciate your help!

I'm assuming its a new lawn laid with turf, if so the first danger sign is the turf shrinking when you see gaps between all the individual turves.

If its a seeded lawn and its germinated then you can keep it going with even less water.

I'm assuming its a new lawn laid with turf, if so the first danger sign is the turf shrinking when you see gaps between all the individual turves.

Yes, it is new lawn laid with turf and I do see gaps between the turves.
    However, since I kept watering it, the grass kept growing and it's approx 2 inches long now. I see very little of what's going on at ground level now. Hopefully it's not shrinking..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

We have a 5 litre empty bottles beside all the sinks in our house. When we run the hot tap we collect all the cold water in this container until it runs warm. We usually can collect 4 litres of cold water. This is then transferred to the cistern. We have been doing this for years.

I have several raised beds with vegetables. I will water these as needs be. I do not waste water.

Is it not possible for Irish Water to collect all the rainwater that fell in early Spring for use in situations like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We have a 5 litre empty bottles beside all the sinks in our house. When we run the hot tap we collect all the cold water in this container until it runs warm. We usually can collect 4 litres of cold water. This is then transferred to the cistern. We have been doing this for years.

I have several raised beds with vegetables. I will water these as needs be. I do not waste water.

Is it not possible for Irish Water to collect all the rainwater that fell in early Spring for use in situations like this?

I am doing the same with a plastic basin in the sink . I can't believe how much water we gather in it that otherwise would drain away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

TomOnBoard wrote:
    And, given that you live in Dub!in, ye've fook all water at the best of times. Sure aren't ye trying to hijack the Shannon these days. Just be careful about that strategy though- the culchies love to dump their sh!t directly into that river.

Had to laugh at the lad from irish water on the news earlier basically saying if they don't take water from the shannon these drought warnings and bans will become more common place. Using the opportunity to get their way methinks. Also basically saying the volume of leakage which is very high, had little to do with the issue and fixing the leaks wouldn't have helped. Go figure.

Anyone listening to newstalk this morning would have heard the complete opposite. Usually newstalk are the voice of Irish water so it was surprising. The indo and rte are also hilariously spinning this issue..it's not even the tiniest bit transparent imo.

It’s the treating of water that’s causing the problem. Irish Water are performing at full capacity. The increased demand by people using hoses etc means more needs treatment which isn’t possible. Hence the request for people to act with consideration of others and conserve what water is being treated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they do. they store it in these things called 'reservoirs'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

they do. they store it in these things called 'reservoirs'.

Get up to speed here Mary, leaks and demand don’t be long depleting a reservoir.

Advertisement