Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do during hosepipe ban?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Mooooo wrote: »
    Majority of farmers are using wells they fitted themselves or group schemes again which they pay for. Likewise commercial growers or using metered sources or rivers depending on location.

So am I. So what is the difference between the embedded water I consume in my own food as opposed to the embedded water every single other person is consuming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

RE: Lidl,

the reports suggest that each shop only got about 2-6 each.

So let's say a generous average of 5 per shop @ 190 shops means there are 950 in the whole country.
    That about 7million litres, against the 600million Dublin uses each day.

It's idiotic and selfish...but on one day it won't make a huge difference in the long run. A temporary overall ban might.
    Still a little surprised they bothered. They've ended up with a lot more bad PR than the profit on that item was worth.

What I think is a funny is the idea that there's people out there who've just started setting them up after work thinking "great, I'll sneak this in before the ban"...soon to realise that it won't be filled until noon tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭standardg60

Malayalam wrote: »
    I'm on a group water scheme and I pay for what I use as per meter

Then I have absolutely no issue with the amount of water you use, it's also probably why you are very conservative with the amount you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

So am I. So what is the difference between the embedded water I consume in my own food as opposed to the embedded water every single other person is consuming

The hose pipe ban is for water under Irish waters remit so your grand as your paying for yours

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    i don't buy that at all.
    In conducting our daily business, we assume economic, social and environmental responsibility.
    from their company principles (or company principals going by the URL:
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/company-principals.htm

according to this link, the average shower is 50l. if that's true, filling this pool is the equivalent of five months of a daily shower.
    https://www.water.ie/news/tapping-into-the-water-us/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mooooo wrote: »
    Majority of farmers are using wells they fitted themselves or group schemes again which they pay for. Likewise commercial growers or using metered sources or rivers depending on location.

Every farmer around here was once on our group water scheme but it came under the council, then Irish Water, years ago. None here use wells and they certainly don't have rivers to draw from.

I'm on a group water scheme and I pay for what I use as per meter

Just to confirm, are you actually metered?
    I thought the idea of group water schemes was where a group of residents on a particular road clubbed together to lay a pipe which then connected to the mains water supply. After the initial payment there was no subsequent fee, am I correct?
    As part of my planning permission I had to pay a contribution, which was circa 1000 euro, to my local council for the maintenance of the water supply. Anyone who buys a new house supplied by mains water also has this fee built in to the purchase price as it's levied on the developer at the planning stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I thought the idea of group water schemes was where a group of residents on a particular road clubbed together to lay a pipe which then connected to the mains water supply. After the initial payment there was no subsequent fee, am I correct?
    As part of my planning permission I had to pay a contribution, which was circa 1000 euro, to my local council for the maintenance of the water supply. Anyone who buys a new house supplied by mains water also has this fee built in to the purchase price as it's levied on the developer at the planning stage.

No, many group schemes charge based on metered usage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

friends of ours applied for PP to finish an unfinished dormer bungalow they bought (original PP had lapsed). they put a bathroom upstairs and had to pay a (vaguely remembered) figure of €2000 to the council because of the associated increased demand on water supply.

i was bemused by the notion that by doubling the number of toilets in the house, the assumption was that they'd be flushing the loo twice as much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Yrs, I had to pay an initial large sum, and I get a yearly bill. There is a free allowance per family and fee for everything used over. Every single time I have used the hose during this heatwave I have been aware of the meter ticking so it's not like I am delighted it's so dry. Bare minimum, flush only poops, basin in sink for house plants, no running water for teeth washing, etc etc but I am not gonna let my vegetable garden die.

• Advertisement

Yrs, I had to pay an initial large sum, and I get a yearly bill. There is a free allowance per family and fee for everything used over. Every single time I have used the hose during this heatwave I have been aware of the meter ticking so it's not like I am delighted it's so dry. Bare minimum, flush only poops, basin in sink for house plants, no running water for teeth washing, etc etc but I am not gonna let my vegetable garden die.

Good stuff! Every day is a school day:)

friends of ours applied for PP to finish an unfinished dormer bungalow they bought (original PP had lapsed). they put a bathroom upstairs and had to pay a (vaguely remembered) figure of €2000 to the council because of the associated increased demand on water supply.

i was bemused by the notion that by doubling the number of toilets in the house, the assumption was that they'd be flushing the loo twice as much

This was a point which was never raised during the water charges debate and it did my head in. It was one reason (amongst others) why I refused to pay the water charge. I was fully prepared to argue in court that i'd already made a substantial contribution to the water supply maintenance.

I'd like to know where those contributions are going now? Are the development levies specified for water going to IW or being soaked up by councils with nothing better to do than plant up roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Does anybody know how exact the meters that were fitted are? Do they tell you on a Monday you used X litres? Or on a Monday from 12-2 you used X much water? How precise is it?

No, pretty much like gas or electricity they'd only measure from the last time they were read.
    Work away with that wet t-shirt party on Monday from 12-2. Where is it?

Or are you just filling your Lidl pool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

scarepanda wrote: »
    Zzippy, do you mind me asking what kind of system and set up you have? I'd love to set something up, and had planned on doing it this spring when I was filling the veg beds, but impatience got the better of me and I just wanted to get to a stage of being able to sow stuff. My husband is into gadgets and IOT stuff so he's going to set up some meters for me before next spring.

I planned it out first how I wanted to have it, then ordered the various parts needed from quickcrop.ie - supply hose, drip hose, T-connectors, corner connectors and end plugs. It's very easy to put together once you have all the parts. I bought a timer from Woodies that turns the water on for a set time at sunrise, giving the water plenty of time to soak in before the sun is high enough to evaporate it. I'm sure there are more expensive options that could be hooked up to the IoT, but that might be overkill. Having said that I love controlling my mower from the smartphone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

€1000 - that's very cheap for a pretty much guaranteed supply of potable water.

No public water here and I'd conservatively guess that we've spent about €12,000 on wells and water treatment, plus the electricity to run them. Then more for sewage disposal.

Which is why I laugh at peoples objections to an annual couple of hundred € to assist with improving public water supplies. I'd have signed up in a blink for that deal.

Re garden though, watering cans for vegies and use hose when the water filters are back washing. Could use more off the well, but the consequences for overdoing it, is no water in the house.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭bobbyss

No, pretty much like gas or electricity they'd only measure from the last time they were read. Work away with that wet t-shirt party on Monday from 12-2. Where is it?

No such thing I'm afraid. We had a leak and IW contacted us they told us how much over the limit our household was.
    We got it fixed so was just wondering how precise their measuring was. I may contact them again to find out how much our consumption has gone down.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Which is why I laugh at peoples objections to an annual couple of hundred € to assist with improving public water supplies. I'd have signed up in a blink for that deal.
    ah here, you obviously moved somewhere that you've to recreate a water supply system. while i think people should pay for water, it's a straw man argument to compare costs of setting up your own individual supply and disposal system to a centralised public system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Zzippy wrote: »
    I planned it out first how I wanted to have it, then ordered the various parts needed from quickcrop.ie - supply hose, drip hose, T-connectors, corner connectors and end plugs. It's very easy to put together once you have all the parts. I bought a timer from Woodies that turns the water on for a set time at sunrise, giving the water plenty of time to soak in before the sun is high enough to evaporate it. I'm sure there are more expensive options that could be hooked up to the IoT, but that might be overkill. Having said that I love controlling my mower from the smartphone!

Thanks zzippy! IoT may be a bit overkill, but himself loves foostering at stuff like that!

• Advertisement

ah here, you obviously moved somewhere that you've to recreate a water supply system. while i think people should pay for water, it's a straw man argument to compare costs of setting up your own individual supply and disposal system to a centralised public system.

Exactly, I was lucky as mine was calculated in 2002, over the next 3-4 years it very quickly became five times that amount. With the amount of houses built in that time the money taken in must have been in the billions, none of which seems to have been spent on the infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I think the hosepipe ban is only justified for use on lawns, washing cars, roses and ornamental plants. People with vegetables should be allowed to water them as veg is a necessity and most vegetables have to be imported. Where cannabis plants are concerned, I think people caught watering them should face a far more severe fine or confiscation of their property.

people growing veg are still legally allowed use watering cans though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

local council had hoses & sprinklers set up this morning watering new flowerbeds on a roundabout.
    hose running across the road, probably into a mains connection, it was only 7.55am tho :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Here's a real-life moral dilemma for you...

Aetna, the 75-year old lady who lives across the road from us, has spent years growing and tending a stunningly beautiful garden.

Next Thursday, she goes into hospital for some serious heart surgery. What might happen to her if she comes home to recover only to find her garden dried and ruined doesn't bear thinking about.

Aetna was wonderful to us when we moved to Ireland five years ago and despite having a sizeable garden of her own to look after, my missus is determined to pay her friend back. To this end, she's volunteered that she and I will water and care for Aetna's many plants so she has a nice environment to come back to after her op.

I've told my missus we should use a hose when we help Aetna out. In doing so
    we'll effectively be giving two fingers to IW and their Stasi-like dob in your neighbour hateline, but wtf.

What would you guys do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

hkjohn wrote: »
    Here's a real-life moral dilemma for you...

Aetna, the 75-year old lady who lives across the road from us, has spent years growing and tending a stunningly beautiful garden.

Next Thursday, she goes into hospital for some serious heart surgery. What might happen to her if she comes home to recover only to find her garden dried and ruined doesn't bear thinking about.

Aetna was wonderful to us when we moved to Ireland five years ago and despite having a sizeable garden of her own to look after, my missus is determined to pay her friend back. To this end, she's volunteered that she and I will water and care for Aetna's many plants so she has a nice environment to come back to after her op.

I've told my missus we should use a hose when we help Aetna out. In doing so
    we'll effectively be giving two fingers to IW and their Stasi-like dob in your neighbour hateline, but wtf.

What would you guys do?

Maybe you should be a decent citizen and conserve water? Her garden will be grand it'll rain at some stage in the next month or two. Nature has a way of rebounding.

Your last paragraph says more about you than anything else you said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

hkjohn wrote:
    What would you guys do?

Obey the rules and regulations of the country you moved to perhaps. Usually a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Obey the rules and regulations of the country you moved to perhaps. Usually a good idea.

Or you could do like the Irish do and ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

my3cents wrote:
    Or you could do like the Irish do and ignore them.

Like everyone you only get to speak for yourself. I 'm Irish and I obey the rules of the society I live in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Like everyone you only get to speak for yourself. I 'm Irish and I obey the rules of the society I live in.

Why not put up some pictures of your garden so we can see what you have to loose by not using a hose pipe?

Advertisement