Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do during hosepipe ban?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Wheelbarrow under tap and into the paddling pool...job done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Patww79 wrote: »
    Lad on the news was saying it's only specifically hosepipes, so you can go town with buckets, etc.

Great news! I'll go ahead and get that pool from Lidl so.. I have a grand yellow bucket that I'll clean out to fill it. It holds 10 litres so I'll fill the pool after ammm, 750 trips to the kitchen sink. Awesome!!!

Oh, Jaysus, I hope Johnny's bladder infection clears up or the little fecker is going to have to be chained to the swing set so he doesn't feck up the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

My fish pond is exempt, so I'm filling watering cans from the pond and topping up the pond with a hose as needed - at least the water doesnt go to waste.

The wife has also decided that when she runs the hot tap, it wastes loads of water waiting for it to get hot, so she is filling a basin while she waits and then it goes on the plants..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

homer911 wrote: »
    The wife has also decided that when she runs the hot tap, it wastes loads of water waiting for it to get hot, so she is filling a basin while she waits and then it goes on the plants..

I've been doing that for the past week. Plus washing up in a basin, rather than the sink, and the waste water goes on the garden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My fish pond is exempt, so I'm filling watering cans from the pond and topping up the pond with a hose as needed - at least the water doesnt go to waste.
    i think that may be within the letter rather than the spirit of the law.
    however, filling a watering can directly from the tap is legal and achieves the same end, rather than going via your more cicuitous option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

i think that may be within the letter rather than the spirit of the law.
    however, filling a watering can directly from the tap is legal and achieves the same end, rather than going via your more cicuitous option?
    Agreed, but at least this way I get to freshen the water in the pond. It gets quite "cloudy" in the sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭dclifford

I have watered the grass, 25 m2, for the last few weeks every evening. Grass has stayed pretty much green. So it stops now. Will it really come back as good as it is now? Lawn is about 2 yr old from Goulding No1 grass seed.

Is there anything that can be done to help bees out with this hot, dry weather? I have water for the birds.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

Patww79 wrote: »
    What in the name of all that's holy are you going on about? I meant to water plants, which was the whole point of this in the first place. At least everything doesn't need to be left die.

Whoosh!

The Lidl pool was discussed over a number of pages earlier in the thread. Keep up! ;-)

• Advertisement

dclifford wrote: »
    I have watered the grass, 25 m2, for the last few weeks every evening. Grass has stayed pretty much green. So it stops now. Will it really come back as good as it is now? Lawn is about 2 yr old from Goulding No1 grass seed.

Is there anything that can be done to help bees out with this hot, dry weather? I have water for the birds.

I've let my 2 lawns grow over the past 6 weeks. The Bees love it. And its very pretty. Full of flowers. I'll have to take it down in stages after middle July. But in the meantime, I'm glad to see the butt of the grasses etc are still quite moist in the mornings..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dclifford wrote: »
    I have watered the grass, 25 m2, for the last few weeks every evening. Grass has stayed pretty much green.
    that's complete overkill; i haven't watered the lawn at all and it's only started turning brown recently. cutting the grass short will do it no favours, cut it high and sparingly.

Agreed, but at least this way I get to freshen the water in the pond. It gets quite "cloudy" in the sunshine
    our pond has been fine, but with an important distinction that we've no fish in it. i've let the duckweed romp away in it, helps keep the light out of it.

What's the theory behind banning a hose, but not a bucket?

Is it to avoid people wasting water by leaving a hose running? Or to make you a bit more careful with your water usage by using a watering can or such? Presumably if it takes you 10 litres of water to water your plants, it's going to take 10 litres regardless of whether the water is from a bucket or a hose?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

We are urinating on the lawn, in countryside so no peeping toms or James. Why waste it down the toilet and then flush another 6 liters of water down the toilet.
    We are Saving on average 120 liters of water a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Curious, how do they enforce this with terraced properties where the garden is hidden from public view?! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

They will have drones doing cctv.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Curious, how do they enforce this with terraced properties where the garden is hidden from public view?! :)

It's a mix of hoping people will report others, and, I'd imagine, if you've a water meter they can just tell from that how many litres you've used.

We are urinating on the lawn, in countryside so no peeping toms or James. Why waste it down the toilet and then flush another 6 liters of water down the toilet.
    We are Saving on average 120 liters of water a day.

Absolutely correct! Well done! However, you're going to have some crazy deep green patches :eek: as soon as the grass starts growing again.

Oh and BTW, drink more beer. That'll make you pee more so you'll save even more water..

Another of my musings... That Lidl pool is enormous! It's 12ft in diameter.

This ban applies only to 'the greater Dublin region'. I can't imagine there are many houses in and around Dublin that would comfortably accommodate this pool in the first place? Most terraced house gardens are generally more suited to smaller pools half the size?

Wonder would they (the pools) really have any bearing on the water issue. Considering most would be best suited to larger (generally detached) houses with huge gardens (that Dublin definitely has some of, but not a whole heap of), I'd imagine most punters would be more interested in getting one of these pools for their gardens in Cavan and Monaghan and what have you, rather than in Dublin?

I'd imagine that not many will really be sold (or filled) in Dublin in general (entirely guessing)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

This ban applies only to 'the greater Dublin region'. I can't imagine there are many houses in and around Dublin that would comfortably accommodate this pool in the first place? Most terraced house gardens are generally more suited to smaller pools half the size?

Wonder would they (the pools) really have any bearing on the water issue. Considering most would be best suited to larger (generally detached) houses with huge gardens (that Dublin definitely has some of, but not a whole heap of), I'd imagine most punters would be more interested in getting one of these pools for their gardens in Cavan and Monaghan and what have you, rather than in Dublin?

I'd imagine that not many will really be sold (or filled) in Dublin in general (entirely guessing)?
    I'm the grand scheme of things I think you are correct, it is insignificant.
    P. S my Dublin City Garden is 60 odd foot long and about 30 foot wide. I was thinking of getting 2 pools across with a six foot gap down the middle and 5 lenght ways down the garden. Might get another 2 for the front garden:) we're not living in Japan a lot of people have big gardens and those pools will sell like hot cakes there will be ques outside each store.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How did plants, after millions of years of evolution, suddenly get so soft since the invention of the hose?

I've the perfect solution for anyone who wants a 12 foot lidl pool. I've a pond full of koi, I will rent you one koi and you can throw it in the lidl pool then you can filly it willy nilly in the best interest of the poor fish :)

endacl wrote: »
    How did plants, after millions of years of evolution, suddenly get so soft since the invention of the hose?

They aren't native to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Greater Dublin area for Irish Water goes as far as Monasterevin and Athy. Naas, Wicklow etc.

There are many properties there, and in Dublin, where you can fit it in ;)

People focus on Dublin too much where this ban affects more remote areas as well.

iamtony wrote: »
    P. S my Dublin City Garden is 60 odd foot long and about 30 foot wide. I was thinking of getting 2 pools across with a six foot gap down the middle and 5 lenght ways down the garden. Might get another 2 for the front garden:) we're not living in Japan a lot of people have big gardens and those pools will sell like hot cakes there will be ques outside each store.

Good man Tony Thats the spirit!

So, is it 10 or 12 pools in total? Its just so you can work out the number of bucketloads of water you'll need to factor in. Oh, and make sure you leave that pathway wide enough for the wheelbarrow to pass through, in case you decide to go that route as per the very fine solution posted earlier in the thread.

Remember, if you only use 10 pools, that'll be 7,500 bucketfuls @10 litres each.

iamtony wrote: »

Can I ask whereabouts in Dublin your living? I rarely see a dublin house with a garden that size unless it's in a very high end area and is often detached etc. (I photograph property, and always associate dublin with cramped garden space).

I live in Drogheda myself, so not a million miles away, any my garden would have originally been about the same size as yours (albeit mine is nowadays smaller, as its had a garage built, has a large shed, and I did an extension onto house etc so my current-day usable space is approx 15ft x 30ft.. In other words, not enough to really fit a Lidl pool in it).

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Good man Tony Thats the spirit!

So, is it 10 or 12 pools in total? Its just so you can work out the number of bucketloads of water you'll need to factor in. Oh, and make sure you leave that pathway wide enough for the wheelbarrow to pass through, in case you decide to go that route as per the very fine solution posted earlier in the thread.

Remember, if you only use 10 pools, that'll be 7,500 bucketfuls @10 litres each.
    LOL. If any of you want to fill up your water can from my pools your more than welcome. I'll be changing the water daily cause those pesky flies will end up in their and us city slickers cant handle a fly landing in our tea without making another cup never mind a pool that's just gross:)

Can I ask whereabouts in Dublin your living? I rarely see a dublin house with a garden that size unless it's in a very high end area and is often detached etc. (I photograph property, and always associate dublin with cramped garden space).

I live in Drogheda myself, so not a million miles away, any my garden would have originally been about the same size as yours (albeit mine is nowadays smaller, as its had a garage built, has a large shed, and I did an extension onto house etc so my current-day usable space is approx 15ft x 30ft.. In other words, not enough to really fit a Lidl pool in it).
    34 Clonshaugh Cl
    34 Clonshaugh Cl, Clonshagh, Dublin 17, D17 F962

https://goo.gl/maps/8QfLfg8v1Ru

That white thing is a gazebo with the koi pond next to it, greenhouse after that and down the end is where I keep the hens and the rabbits. Imagine that, in a city. The hens probably have more room than some bedsits to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

My lawn is dead but the roses are thriving. Only watering the freshly planted stuff.

People need to remember that plants are not fish. They dont need to be drowned in water to survive.

Overwatering in this heat will cause you more problems than underwatering especially if there is little airflow.

Advertisement