Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do during hosepipe ban?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That bit of legislation would seem to prohibit the use of grey water via hosepipe too although I doubt that this was intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,390 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Patww79 wrote:

The concerns about the water supply have been all over the news for a week with Irish Water asking people to conserve as much as possible. Just because there was no official restriction in place doesn't make her any less of a twat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That bit of legislation would seem to prohibit the use of grey water via hosepipe too although I doubt that this was intentional.
    would hinge on the interpretation of this:
    prohibit or restrict such class or classes of use, including use at specified times of the day, of any water supplied by it or the other provider of water services.
    if you were willing to argue in front of a judge that you were using water you'd already showered in, i suspect IW would not push it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

salmocab wrote: »
    Hose pipe ban isn’t literal it means you can’t use water for non essential uses, you’d still be breaking the law.

According to Irish Water it is quite literal. They said you can fill a paddling pool with buckets from the tap but not with a hose. Bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

For lawns i wouldn't bother watering as it would take a lot of water to match rainfall. I guess the issue is if people don't conserve water the water pressure will end up being dropped in order to conserve it so no point in breaking the ban

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭standardg60

Frynge wrote: »
    That's exactly what I have and I can turn off any points that aren't currently in a pot or basket.

Then I would commend you and say work away. If you've already been morally responsible, before there was any requirement to do so, at your own expense then I don't see why you should suffer due to the irresponsibility of others who somehow equate state provided (ie. taxpayer) benefits to personal rights and freedoms.

There's nothing that makes something more worthless than giving it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,390 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Patww79 wrote:

Perhaps they wouldn't have needed to if people behaved with a modicum of cop on and civic responsibility when they first asked them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Patww79 wrote: »

there was no harm in asking the public first before enforcing bans, its important all citizens play their role in conserving water, it doesnt always need to be via stick methods.

• Advertisement

i do, do you speak for all citizens now? i see plenty of people breaking laws here all the time, sometimes rules and hitting pockets works, but sometimes it just doesnt, its nice to try include all citizens in decisions that are good for all, we hardly need some authoritarian rule now do we?

i will partly agree, the water authorities probably should have been a little quicker off the mark here, its been obvious for some time now that we d run into this problem, but to be fair, only those that have access to the data really know the details, so they do deserve some credit, its just up to all of us now to try help them in their objectives. unfortunately, it doesnt matter what rules are now enforced, some will simply never obey, its hard to know what to do about those, but you d be surprised at the amount of people that do care and will obey, and have in fact already started conserving

The only people who needed clear instruction are the ones who will ignore it anyway.

Most people didn't even need the carrot..the rest will see the stick as a challenge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    there was no harm in asking the public first before enforcing bans, its important all citizens play their role in conserving water, it doesnt always need to be via stick methods.
    you obviously haven't been listening to the radio - there's been talk of a possible hosepipe ban and requests to the public to be sensible with water usage for several days now.

you obviously haven't been listening to the radio - there's been talk of a possible hosepipe ban and requests to the public to be sensible with water usage for several days now.

Don't listen to a whole lot of radio, but since I've an interest in environmentally matters, it's been obvious to me for at least a week or so, that water shortages were inevitable, I've also been lucky enough to have visited some of Ireland's most critical water infrastructure facilities, and have been well aware of how seriously underfunded our systems have been for years, in particular, in the Dublin region

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

It's complete nonsense here, we could farm water, I can make up a system in my head....

Have you ever seen the amount of water running off a pollytunnel in the winter ?

Hilly Polly tunnel type structures running off into tanks below the ground.

Tank it and filtrate it... sell it off to someone else to treat it properly...

Like taking candy from a puppy...

Im sure its covered in red tape.

We could sell water to the middle east ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if i have my own well and provide my own can they effoce that law

if i have my own well and provide my own can they effoce that law

They can. You are using groundwater resources.

Patww79 wrote:

Possibly true, but you d be surprised how many are very aware, far more so than me, I'd imagine even some on this thread are very aware, and are better prepared than myself

Afaik the ban is only in the greater Dublin area..apart from that you're not an IW customer and not affecting their supplies so I don't see how it would affect you.

Sorry that was directed at the pen turner

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

They can. You are using groundwater resources.

How so? It's a private well, it's not connected to anyone else so if his well runs dry that's his own tough sh*t to suffer the consequences.
    Also, many wells require a pump, who gives him a dig out to help them pay the often astronomical electric bills?
    Country folk are often left to fend for themselves with no access to public water schemes so have no option but to bear the cost of maintaining a well themselves so what they do with it should be no one else's beeswax.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I know I know we aren’t in Texas but my brother in law lives there, they have to water lawns and stuff down as the ground shifts if they don’t.

How so? It's a private well, it's not connected to anyone else so if his well runs dry that's his own tough sh*t to suffer the consequences.
    Also, many wells require a pump, who gives him a dig out to help them pay the often astronomical electric bills?
    Country folk are often left to fend for themselves with no access to public water schemes so have no option but to bear the cost of maintaining a well themselves so what they do with it should be no one else's beeswax.

I have a private well too. I know all about maintaining it and the costs involved. I'm simply answering the question; not defending it. The stance is that a private well draws on underground water resources and in that they are technically correct even though very little use is made of groundwater sources except for private wells. The ban is currently only in Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

nthclare wrote:
    Hilly Polly tunnel type structures running off into tanks below the ground.

Get a couple of those Lidl pools. That will keep you in water for a couple of years!

• Advertisement

This isn't a water level issue, cycled by Blessington today and the lake is still as high as ever, it's a treated water supply issue.

Advertisement