Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Whatever the exact formulation is. It seems they have the speak of suitable for organic gardening and they've got OMRI listed. Not sure if that means approved but it's interesting anyway.

Ad-blue;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I read a great quote there online now.

"You control people by exploiting their ignorance and their fears".

Nice quote there for all aspects of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The Dept want people to notify them if they come across any rabbits or hares dead or acting strangely. Details in the link below.
    https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/forestry-enviro/environment/deadly-disease-found-in-irish-hares-and-rabbits-public-asked-to-report-any-sightings-38390007.html

Also outbreak of Newcastle disease. Affects racing pigeon owners and poultry facilities including backyard flocks

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrol/newcastledisease/
    Newcastle Disease

Sporadic outbreaks of Pigeon Paramyxovirus (PPMV-1) occur in domestic pigeons and wild birds throughout Ireland and this increases the risk of Newcastle Disease in poultry in Ireland. 

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Anyone for tullamore tomorrow? Seems like the rain will clear in the morning and will be a decent day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Odelay

Serious amount of cattle trucks on the road today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Anyone for tullamore tomorrow? Seems like the rain will clear in the morning and will be a decent day.

Make sure to take a pic of where the meat factory tents should be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Whatever the exact formulation is. It seems they have the speak of suitable for organic gardening and they've got OMRI listed. Not sure if that means approved but it's interesting anyway.

Ah ignore me i was being negative about the marketing behind the product rather than the active.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was watching 2 of them tearing around a field this morning, also a crane and a fox in the same field.

I hate being pedantic but I suspect you mean "Heron";) - Cranes have not bred in this country for at least 400 years, a few visit every year and have been recently re-introduced to the Uk so hopefully they will return here sometime in the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 29,166 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I hate being pedantic but I suspect you mean "Heron";) - Cranes have not bred in this country for at least 400 years, a few visit every year and have been recently re-introduced to the Uk so hopefully they will return here sometime in the next few years
    we always called this a crane, you are more than likely 100 per cent right . There's also a sparrow hawk or something that goes crazy when the cows go near a field he seems to stay in. last time I topped it he was flying around the tractor giving out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

we always called this a crane, you are more than likely 100 per cent right . There's also a sparrow hawk or something that goes crazy when the cows go near a field he seems to stay in. last time I topped it he was flying around the tractor giving out

A lot of folk still do - the name appears to have simply passed over to a similar looking bird when our native Crane population died out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

When even the birds are giving out about topping, it can't be far from being banned:D

When even the birds are giving out about topping, it can't be far from being banned:D
    I love going topping tbh, I can see something for what I'm doing and gets me away from other stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Spent the days visiting aunts and uncles in tipp today, called to a cousin who is a retired carpenter and he has started making model tractors out of timber. did them by eye and perfectly scaled- beautiful tractors with equipment- fingerbar mower working and everything. And all fired into a box because the wife doesn’t want them in the house. I was nearly crying seeing them come out of the box.

Met a barn owl in the driveway into home.
    My bird expert neighbour inspected the pheasant and reckons it was something like a peregrine falcon that killed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Birdnuts wrote: »
    we always called this  a crane, you are more than likely 100 per cent right . There's also a sparrow hawk or something that goes crazy when the cows go near a field he seems to stay in. last time I  topped it he was flying around the tractor giving out
    We have sparrow hawks here aswell , the young ones seemed very loud this year over other years . I don't know if theres a link but the swallow population has declined massively aswell in the last few years

Spent the days visiting aunts and uncles in tipp today, called to a cousin who is a retired carpenter and he has started making model tractors out of timber. did them by eye and perfectly scaled- beautiful tractors with equipment- fingerbar mower working and everything. And all fired into a box because the wife doesn’t want them in the house. I was nearly crying seeing them come out of the box.

My bird expert neighbour inspected the pheasant and reckons it was something like a peregrine falcon.

Do you mean it was a Peregrine that likley killed the pheasant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

My bird expert neighbour inspected the pheasant and reckons it was something like a peregrine falcon.

Are you sure it wasn’t the topper?

gozunda wrote: »
    Do you mean it was a Peregrine that likley killed the pheasant?

Yes.

mayota wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasn’t the topper?

Definitely not- ‘‘twas our of my cutting range and photos previously, innards and head removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

I love going topping tbh, I can see something for what I'm doing and gets me away from other stuff

I'm the same. Headphones on, podcast if I feel like learning or a bit of music otherwise. Got this done yesterday.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=487810&d=1565473846
    attachment.php?attachmentid=487811&d=1565473846

The amount of rain that has falling in the last week meant I couldn't got the whole right side done, but looks better all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cripes, if it keeps the man happy, let him make the models. I find these sort of things really annoying, we need to give each other a bit of space and wonder at each others talents. Why create grief over nothing?
    If the man then had a breakdown, how much medical care would it take, if you just want to be monetary about it. Sorry Knight for getting tetchy with your story.

Heron or Crane, just call it a Joanny the Bogs.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Cripes, if it keeps the man happy, let him make the models. I find these sort of things really annoying, we need to give each other a bit of space and wonder at each others talents. Why create grief over nothing?
    If the man then had a breakdown, how much medical care would it take, if you just want to be monetary about it. Sorry Knight for getting tetchy with your story.

I guarantee if he brought them to vintage rally’s/ shows he would have ques, they are that good. The talent is unreal.he’s getting my encyclopedia of tractor on the post for more reference material.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He needs a, man's shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Odelay

My bird expert neighbour inspected the pheasant and reckons it was something like a peregrine falcon that killed it.

Sounds like a form of abuse making him hide them. If he is happy making them in his retirement let him work away at it. ‘‘Tis his home too, he can display what he like within reason.

Odelay wrote: »
    Sounds like a form of abuse making him hide them. If he is happy making them in his retirement let him work away at it. ‘‘Tis his home too, he can display what he like within reason.

Ah no, she’s not that bad, just happens to be that way about them. He has an amazing shed set up really well, he could even have them on a shelf. He was saying he will make two or three this winter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I read a great quote there online now.

"You control people by exploiting their ignorance and their fears".

Nice quote there for all aspects of life.

What's so "great" about it?

I'd turn it around and say "DON'T allow people to control you by them feeding into your fears and self doubt."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Muckit wrote: »
    What's so "great" about it?

I'd turn it around and say "DON'T allow people to control you by them feeding into your fears and self doubt."

Why does everyone not want to become the next Adolf Hitler or head of Bord Bia?

Maybe it's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is it me or has the whole Farming/Boards gone a little weird lately. It must be the onset of winter. Never saw so many, so tetchy. :cool:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Tis the season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Tis the season

Put on the frying pan with boxty, bacon & egg

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »

Nice bit of irish mythology attached to it as well

The celebrated bag of Irish tradition was made by Manannán mac Lir and contained many treasures. Aífe is transformed into a crane by a jealous rival, luchra; she subsequently spends 200 years in the household of Manannán mac Lir. When she dies, he uses her skin to hold things precious to him. These included his knife and shirt, the king of Scotland's shears, the king of Lochlainn's helmet, the bones of Assal's swine, and the girdle of the great whale's back. At high tide the treasures are visible in the sea, but at ebb tide they vanish. Modern commentators have speculated that the bag contained the letters of the ogham alphabet used in writing before the introduction of Christianity. The ogham ciphers may have been suggested by the legs of flying cranes. The bag has many owners, including Lug Lámfhota and Liath Luachra, from whom it is obtained by Fionn mac Cumhaill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement