Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭emaherx

Muckit wrote: »
    An elderly neighbour came to the door yest evening. She had a puncture. Come in l said and sit inside and lll change it for you no problem.

Out l go thinking this'll be straight forward. Lift out boot floor. Spare wheel and tools are pristine. Never used. Great. Jack car a little. Take out wheel brace. I look at the lugs. Star shaped holes in them. Look at wheel brace, standard hex. Look in spare wheel insert for adaptor. There is none!!

Ok, lets go to the shed for socket set. Went through every size star socket l had, eventually found one that might fit. Stick it in and wiggle it by hand. What's this..... the lug seems loose. Out it came. It was only a plastic cover!! The lugs were in behind and matched the wheelbrace. It was a VW. Never seen the like before as l nor any of my family ever had VWs. They had me fooled!! When l looked in spare wheel insert again there was a little pick tool which ld say was for easing them out.

Anyways to finish the story, l got the wheel changed and she was very thankful for the help, leaving the kids money for sweets.

Yea plastic covers seem to confuse most farmers, that's why they normally disappear within days of acquiring a machine. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Must be a big time buyer now !! First txt from Clare Marts for cattle numbers in Ennis tomorrow. Get it every week from SMB. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Small bit of dosing advive needed !
    Back after 9 days away on holidays. Share of bullocks coughing last night while I was checking them over.
    All look to have throve while I was away and healthy otherwise. Some of these lads will be for the factory in 5/6 weeks time.
    Should I give them a shot of something or leave them ? On my own so would normally inject or pour on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Was topping up in the bog and found a carcass of a bird of prey that looked like it was killed by another bird of prey. I reckon it might be a hen harrier but it has no head. Must bring it to a neighbour to identify.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Small bit of dosing advive needed !
    Back after 9 days away on holidays. Share of bullocks coughing last night while I was checking them over.
    All look to have throve while I was away and healthy otherwise. Some of these lads will be for the factory in 5/6 weeks time.
    Should I give them a shot of something or leave them ? On my own so would normally inject or pour on.

Leave well enough alone would be my advice. They would have immunity built up for worms at this stage. Bit of cough no harm if otherwise thriving. 9 days holidays..... dead right!! Hope u had a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Was topping up in the bog and found a carcass of a bird of prey that looked like it was killed by another bird of prey. I reckon it might be a hen harrier but it has no head. Must bring it to a neighbour to identify.
    Put up a picture of it. Someone here is bound to know what it is.

Base price wrote: »
    Put up a picture of it. Someone here is bound to know what it is.

F3CE4350-CB0C-4D50-843D-FCCB6BFE2345.jpeg

E7B6ED6E-37F7-440E-B290-3B5F1C17404D.jpeg

F3CE4350-CB0C-4D50-843D-FCCB6BFE2345.jpeg

E7B6ED6E-37F7-440E-B290-3B5F1C17404D.jpeg

Although it doesn’t have the right feet i think

I think its a hen pheasant by the legs and feathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Although it doesn’t have the right feet i think

Pheasant.

Feathers are a 'dead' giveaway.

• Advertisement

So I’ve a bird of prey around anyway. I thought the carcass was a bit light for a pheasant.

Pheasant.

Shows you what I know about birds.

So I’ve a bird of prey around anyway. I thought the carcass was a bit light for a pheasant.
    I only just noticed the second photo with you holding the legs and by the size comparison I would say a pheasant grower.

Shows you what I know about birds.

You're not too bad, you picked up an Aussie one!! :D

Probably a sparrowhawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Phesant killed by a fox generally when there is no head mr fox is the culprit

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Phesant killed by a fox generally when there is no head mr fox is the culprit

Would it have left the Brests? This had head, spine and a bit of meat taken no sign of bite marks. We do have a few raptors in the surrounding area- pine martens and foxes too.

Would it have left the Brests? This had head, spine and a bit of meat taken no sign of bite marks. We do have a few raptors in the surrounding area- pine martens and foxes too.
    I reckon it was a bird of prey as the most nutritional parts (the innards) are missing, the breast is plucked clean and most likely taken to feed chicks. Grassroots is right as foxes like to take the heads but that more is likely to happen when a number of birds are killed at the same time e.g. when a vixen breaks into a chicken house/pheasant coop to teach her cubs how to hunt/kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

I reckon it was a bird of prey as the most nutritional parts (the innards) are missing, the breast is plucked clean and most likely taken to feed chicks. Grassroots is right as foxes like to take the heads but that more is likely to happen when a number of birds are killed at the same time e.g. when a vixen breaks into a chicken house/pheasant coop to teach her cubs how to hunt/kill.

I would have said a young fox learning the Ropes would be to blame for the beheading. Could be wrong but we had it here this time last year. Three young enough foxes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Certainly a pheasant. This time of year it's a poult probably a hen but if young enough the cocks don't colour up for a bit.
    A lot of gun clubs are getting poults and there's always casualties. They can be easy picking for a hawk or fox.

• Advertisement

Any of ye going to the RDS this week. I'm back home in NCD tonight and heading in tomorrow morning with some of my friends to celebrate the centenary of the original Ladies' day.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Any of ye going to the RDS this week. I'm back home in NCD tonight and heading in tomorrow morning with some of my friends to celebrate the centenary of the original Ladies' day.

What on in the RDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

What on in the RDS?

Horse show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What on in the RDS?

Show jumping this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Show jumping this week.

Always a good day out even if you're not big into horses ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

gozunda wrote: »
    Always a good day out even if your not big into horses ...

We went a few years ago when the kids won some art competition and the posters were being shown in one of the pavilions but there was more there than I would have thought for a day at the horses.

Not going to post this in the strike thread.

But maybe an idea for it is to limit the posters to 5 posts allowed per poster per day while the strike is going on.
    It's not beyond the forums limits especially since rules and limits were imposed in the Kerry shares thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

But maybe an idea for it is to limit the posters to 5 posts allowed per poster per day while the strike is going on.
    It's not beyond the forums limits especially since rules and limits were imposed in the Kerry shares thread.

Why was that a sausey thread too

Reggie. wrote: »
    Why was that a sausey thread too

Seemingly so. Mods had to set up a caravan and all in it.

There was a time limit and post limit on boards before you could post in it.

Well how's things? any strange yourself.
    Any strange grazing mixtures sown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,173 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sure that would be no fun

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement