Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ah ye's are all phucked!! :p

Meanwhile in an unusual move for the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-48074629/how-cow-dung-can-help-fight-climate-change

Even better, the thinking is turning towards farming again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48043134

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭148multi

We have two feet! Surprisingly short gestation :pac:

Pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Even better, the thinking is turning towards farming again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48043134

You'd have to laugh at the media really now.

A year ago.
    RTE : Irish farming is bad for the climate and is the biggest problem in our fight against climate change.

A few months ago.
    RTE : Eat less dairy and meat to help in our fight against climate change. Even Darragh McCullagh got in on the action on Ear to the Ground.

Today.
    RTE : Scientists say soil is our biggest influence in our fight against climate change. That tilling and cultivation is responsible for releasing unimaginable amounts of carbon into the atmosphere and that forestry may be useless in our fight against climate change.

Eh RTE there was a book published 10 years ago called Dirt by David Montgomery. Ye could have just read that years ago.
    I suppose Fair City is more compelling viewing than reading a book.

Edit: Rereading that post it may seem a bit jumbled. But it just shows the evolution of the media for the better and the truth that a plant based diet is not as climate friendly as was first portrayed. That it requires cultivation and often with bare soil, leaking carbon back to the atmosphere and destroying soil health.
    That now there's a realisation that ruminants are actually a good thing for soil health and soil carbon sequestration.
    So it's a 180 degree turn about.

The next realisation will be that forestry is only a carbon neutral exercise unless that carbon captured in the wood is converted to charcoal for long term storage or used for building indoors in some centuries long building. Or bog storage.
    Otherwise neutral.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

We have two feet! Surprisingly short gestation :pac:

Have we 4 feet yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The kids are gone down for an hour or two because I can't stand for much more than an hour without having an ice pack on for an hour after. Luckily, it doesn't stay long with me, a half hour at the chiropracter twice a week and the ice pack generally gets me back again.

you're back must be in bits ..either that or you need a decent chiro.

Reading your last few posts makes me glad i know feck all about farming....at least in practice.:D
    We must meet up for a coffee one of these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Let out cows with strong calves at the weekend
    One of the calves (white Charolais) is brown from eye to jaw on both sides with a little pant
    Otherwise fine couldn’t get in, but will get help tomorrow
    Would it be pneumonia?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My Odd-Ear is due to TVR today. I'm like a child before Christmas! :D

So TVR and 9 days over. I'd be sprinking holy water, if it was me. :cool:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Have we 4 feet yet?

We have 8 :pac:
    Twin bulls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

We have 8 Twin bulls!!

Ah reck off better born lucky than rich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

We have 8 :pac:
    Twin bulls!!

Congrats...are they pure bred?

• Advertisement

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Congrats...are they pure bred?

No, they're off my big blonde cow. I was looking for a show calf :eek:

Worth more then, hope their lucky for you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That's gas. Will she be able to rear the two.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

That's gas. Will she be able to rear the two.

Should be, great bag on her. Might put her & the other cow with twins together & feed them a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Well now you've two show calves 😀

Well now you've two show calves ��

Two live ones have me happy enough for the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Bought 2 heifers lately
    1st nice red LM heifer she's got tvr in her breeding is it worth chancing her as a replacement. Her dam looked milky as tvr is -5.80kgs for milk but unsure on calving ability

2nd one is by fsz...not as keen on chancing her

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fresh grass this evening, nice warmth in the sun.

Incidentally neighbor stock in background, not a blade of grass and getting round bales in field.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I remember as a child watching a progressive neighbor making silage in the first days of June. The field would have been well fertilized and minded and would have yielded a fine crop. Across the road on the same sort of land another very scattered neighbor was putting a bale into a ring feeder for his few cows that had the ground grazed to the ground. I always think of the difference a bit of interest and management can make to land no matter the quality.

• Advertisement

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Bought 2 heifers lately
    1st nice red LM heifer she's got tvr in her breeding is it worth chancing her as a replacement. Her dam looked milky as tvr is -5.80kgs for milk but unsure on calving ability

2nd one is by fsz...not as keen on chancing her

My concern would be calving ability aswell, if you put a saler on her to start and see how it goes, she should bring plenty shape. Can’t advise on the ch though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Was at a stag at the weekend. Still not right :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

_Brian wrote: »
    Fresh grass this evening, nice warmth in the sun.

Incidentally neighbor stock in background, not a blade of grass and getting round bales in field.

And don't you know he's probably over on his side of the ditch thinking "look at the poor h**r and his bottle fed calves!!"

Takes all types!

I remember as a child watching a progressive neighbor making silage in the first days of June. The field would have been well fertilized and minded and would have yielded a fine crop. Across the road on the same sort of land another very scattered neighbor was putting a bale into a ring feeder for his few cows that had the ground grazed to the ground. I always think of the difference a bit of interest and management can make to land no matter the quality.

Something similar here, back in the 80’s when they were paying you to reclaim land, two neighbours side by side, one took full adv the other didn’t, some differences in the two farms now, 20 acres now require full reclaimation....what would that cost today?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Question for the masses. The 8 calves here are flying it atm. Too good actually. Youngest is 6 weeks old. Thing is they are eating well over 1kg of meal a day.

If I was to leave 16kg of meal in the trough it would be licked clean the next morning. If you were to follow the manual it's time to wean them off milk but surely 6 weeks is too young?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Reggie. wrote: »
    Question for the masses. The 8 calves here are flying it atm. Too good actually. Youngest is 6 weeks old. Thing is they are eating well over 1kg of meal a day.

If I was to leave 16kg of meal in the trough it would be licked clean the next morning. If you were to follow the manual it's time to wean them off milk but surely 6 weeks is too young?

I'd keep em on till 10 weeks anyway. If they are being done as a bunch go by the smallest/ youngest.
    Shir I spose the crowd you got them from had them hiding in the bushes for a week or two😉

Mooooo wrote: »
    I'd keep em on till 10 weeks anyway. If they are being done as a bunch go by the smallest/ youngest.
    Shir I spose the crowd you got them from had them hiding in the bushes for a week or two😉

God only knows :P. Was thinking the same with keeping them going to 10 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »

I suggest he buys 8 more :)

whelan2 wrote: »
    I suggest he buys 8 more :)

Know of any good farmers up your way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Know of any good farmers up your way?

Nope. The older calves must be a fair size now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement