Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Had a calf with meningitis this evening, 3 weeks old. Vet reacons I got it early. Hopefully, heifer calf by lm2014, lost a bull calf by the same sire who had this and coccidiosis at about the same age, curious are some animals more susceptible than other?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I wouldn't worry, Brian. They're behind in this conversation again.

While they're getting their knickers in a twist from virtue signalling about reducing their meat consumption once a week, the worlds CO2 concentrations continue to rocket due to their favoured energy intensive lifestyle.

And the worlds oceans are past their buffering capacity to absorb this extra CO2 which has masked their lifestyles true cost.

And the only possible way to absorb that extra CO2 is to sequester it in soils, which has only 30% of the worlds available surface area. And there's an increasing amount of published research and even more anecdotal evidence of the speed that pasture, managed correctly, can absorb huge amounts of carbon from the atmosphere and keep it securely sequestered.

Look up David R. Montgomery and Gabe Brown and download some samples of their books and have a look at Allan Savory on YouTube and some of the amazing work he has done in the Sahel in restoring the ecosystem and fertility there. And most importantly, the carbon he has reintroduced into the depleted soils of the region.

Livestock farming is a good place to be in to prepare for the future.

I was just watching The Week in Politics on RTE.
    From it it seems Luke Ming Flanagan is a stand out politician on what needs to be done while looking after his constituents.
    He's fairly clued in on the role farming has in the climate debate.
    He's the only one bringing up the EU idea of a payment of €200/t of carbon sequestered to landowners. The zinger for his constituents is his claim of an acre of bogland able to sequester 40tons (per year?).

Every other Irish EU MEP contenders are seemingly just concentrated on the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭148multi

From it it seems Luke Ming Flanagan is a stand out politician on what needs to be done while looking after his constituents.
    He's the only one bringing up the EU idea of a payment of €200/t of carbon sequestered to landowners. The zinger for his constituents is his claim of an acre of bogland able to sequester 40tons (per year?).

Every other Irish EU MEP contenders are seemingly just concentrated on the status quo.
    Well it was the closing of bogs that got him elected, if we get penalised for cutting turf, why can't we get rewarded for growing bogs, he is just looking after his own, at least Luke and Michael Fitzmaurice look out for the rural people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Had a calf with meningitis this evening, 3 weeks old. Vet reacons I got it early. Hopefully, heifer calf by lm2014, lost a bull calf by the same sire who had this and coccidiosis at about the same age, curious are some animals more susceptible than other?

What symtoms did she have? Never had it here.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Had a calf with it here before. Was running into the walls in a 20 acre field, throwing itself on the ground. Going around in circles, running away from the cow. Bawling. Was kind of like it had no awareness of its surroundings. You'd definitely know something was wrong anyway. My one lived and was grand after. Heard the commotion at 2am and went down the field to see what was wrong, loaded the calf up and brought him to the vet straight away. Was lucky to get him in time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I've been following Ming for a while on twitter and himself and Sean Kelly are very tuned in on farming matters, Ming more so. Kelly is hampered by following the party line which he kind of admitted at a meeting last week but he does have more input into decision making so that would colour his inputs into debates a good bit, I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

148multi wrote: »
    Well it was the closing of bogs that got him elected, if we get penalised for cutting turf, why can't we get rewarded for growing bogs, he is just looking after his own, at least Luke and Michael Fitzmaurice look out for the rural people.

They work well together but listening to conversations in the mart, over the last 2 years Michael has done massive work for farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I'd be fairly impressed with Matt Carhy's record on the agri committee as well he's got some important things through the comittee for irish farmers and overall him and Luke seem to vote largly the same (not much of a surprise as Luke is in the same group as Sinn Fein in Europe)

Its not constituency though down here theres a lad running to protest the prosed Irish water pipe from the shannon to Dublin, I'll probably give Ni Riada a vote as the way parties work her votes on agriculture issues would be directed by Matt, beyond that on of the people working for ming is running

They work well together but listening to conversations in the mart, over the last 2 years Michael has done massive work for farmers

And some well outside of his constituency

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

And some well outside of his constituency

Like what has he done

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Like what has he done

Well, when farming associations bring farmers to Michael Fitzmaurice, to sort out problems with the department of agriculture that they can't, it says it all. There was a tragic case where a person died in England, when the family went for an arranged handover of the deceased, some gob****e had forgotten to sign necessary papers and gone away for the weekend, no move from anyone here or there. Neighbour contacted MF and was sorted within hours. He may well be a rough diamond, but he definitely is our diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Met Ming in Belmullet a couple of weeks ago - was impressed with his efforts and knowledge as regards reforming the CAP and making it fairer for the small man on marginal land, properly rewarding genuine efforts by farmers for protecting farmland habitats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Well, when farming associations bring farmers to Michael Fitzmaurice, to sort out problems with the department of agriculture that they can't, it says it all. There was a tragic case where a person died in England, when the family went for an arranged handover of the deceased, some gob****e had forgotten to sign necessary papers and gone away for the weekend, no move from anyone here or there. Neighbour contacted MF and was sorted within hours. He may well be a rough diamond, but he definitely is our diamond.

You don't now what's goin on behind the scenes, especially coming up to an election,

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Met Ming in Belmullet a couple of weeks ago - was impressed with his efforts and knowledge as regards reforming the CAP and making it fairer for the small man on marginal land, properly rewarding genuine efforts by farmers for protecting farmland habitats etc.
    It somehow feels himself and it seems Matt Carthy are the only ones shouting for this.
    Then they're both raising the issue of the 4bn Euro going from this country towards a pan European military force.
    CAP is being reduced. Funding for the military is being increased.

I had to watch the week in politics again. It seems it was Emmanuel Macron who proposed a carbon payment of €200/ton to farmers. The president of the country where the yellow vest "anarchy" against carbon taxes has taken hold.
    Who'd be a politician?
    Speak vaguely, promise nothing, talk fluff to everyone. Get elected.

It somehow feels himself and it seems Matt Carthy are the only ones shouting for this.
    Then they're both raising the issue of the 4bn Euro going from this country towards a pan European military force.
    CAP is being reduced. Funding for the military is being increased.

I had to watch the week in politics again. It seems it was Emmanuel Macron who proposed a carbon payment of €200/ton to farmers. The president of the country where the yellow vest "anarchy" against carbon taxes has taken hold.
    Who'd be a politician?
    Speak vaguely, promise nothing, talk fluff to everyone. Get elected.

Do you by any chance advice Charlie Flanagan

Interesting piece on our butter making history in this country.

https://twitter.com/ucddublin/status/1106225098107899904?s=20

No doubt probably milking black cows belonging to the Celtic peoples.
    Kerry in Ireland. Welsh black in Wales.
    Angus in Scotland. Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I had to bring one to the knackery on Friday night to be put down. It was either meningitis or listeriosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Interesting piece on our butter making history in this country.

https://twitter.com/ucddublin/status/1106225098107899904?s=20

No doubt probably milking black cows belonging to the Celtic peoples.
    Kerry in Ireland. Welsh black in Wales.
    Angus in Scotland. Etc.
    In the 1700 and 1800's the world market price for butter was set in the butter market in Cork. Ireland was the largest butter exporter in the world. There was a road from Kerry to Cork City know as the butter road.

Another little know fact is that from about the 1200's to the1500's Ireland was a huge importer of wine from Spain and exported wool, butter and whiskey in return. This is why it was easy to capture Red Hugh O'Donnell by the English as it was not uncommon for Spanish traders to bring wine to trade for other goods with Irish chieftien's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Anyone watch Wingman last night on RTE. Thought it was really really good. Delighted for Jimmy

Base price wrote: »
    I had to bring one to the knackery on Friday night to be put down. It was either meningitis or listeriosis.

I’d say mine is touch and go, still sucking which is good.
    Can’t really do much atm, put my back out yesterday,
    I can just about walk-in doctors waiting for an injection,
    First one in a year and a half.

• Advertisement

I’d say mine is touch and go, still sucking which is good.
    Can’t really do much atm, put my back out yesterday,
    I can just about walk-in doctors waiting for an injection,
    First one in a year and a half.

Same here, removing mats from the cubicles for power hosing and twisted badly. In a hurry to get going so stayed at it. Bad move, can't put on socks atm. I'll have to get someone in to finish it, unless Whelan2 has a few free days:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Same here, removing mats from the cubicles for power hosing and twisted badly. In a hurry to get going so stayed at it. Bad move, can't put on socks atm. I'll have to get someone in to finish it, unless Whelan2 has a few free days:)

I have sympathy for the both of you, back trouble is debilitating. My left ankle was killing all weekend, I can't remember twisting on it but obviously done something. Work was mentle Friday and Saturday too which didn't help. I'd just over 40,000 steps done Saturday evening and I'd imagine Friday wouldn't have been much behind. I rested it yesterday and today and thankfully it seems much improved.

I have sympathy for the both of you, back trouble is debilitating. My left ankle was killing all weekend, I can't remember twisting on it but obviously done something. Work was mentle Friday and Saturday too which didn't help. I'd just over 40,000 steps done Saturday evening and I'd imagine Friday wouldn't have been much behind. I rested it yesterday and today and thankfully it seems much improved.

Just back from doctor.....2 injections and 7 days worth of tablets.

Manure to be shook, few calves to be dehorned....so like Buford if anyone wants to help.....much appreciated and will be rewarded in heaven. (suckler farmer so cant afford to pay here and now!!!)

Like others have said, the calve will be lethargic (mine got up and stretched) but straight away started stretching its neck like if you had a creek in your neck also they will grind their teeth. The walk of them will be aimless to put it mildly, if you put your hands over their eyes they will not flinch.

Hopefully you'll never have a case, can be a right sickner.

Manure to be shook, few calves to be dehorned....so like Buford if anyone wants to help.....much appreciated and will be rewarded in heaven. (suckler farmer so cant afford to pay here and now!!!)

The kids are gone down for an hour or two because I can't stand for much more than an hour without having an ice pack on for an hour after. Luckily, it doesn't stay long with me, a half hour at the chiropracter twice a week and the ice pack generally gets me back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Jb1989

If anybody has the cure of meningitis locally get it will work

Ah ye's are all phucked!! :p

Meanwhile in an unusual move for the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-48074629/how-cow-dung-can-help-fight-climate-change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

How can you afford Manure

dzer2 wrote: »
    How can you afford Manure

Ive been told often enough I talk a lot of shyte, so I put in a digester to convert it to pellets so like the Glanbia scheme I have a closed loop and full traceability!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

My Odd-Ear is due to TVR today. I'm like a child before Christmas! :D

We have two feet! Surprisingly short gestation :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement