Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Nope. The older calves must be a fair size now?

2 man operation to do anything with them now. Great stock

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »
    Question for the masses. The 8 calves here are flying it atm. Too good actually. Youngest is 6 weeks old. Thing is they are eating well over 1kg of meal a day.

If I was to leave 16kg of meal in the trough it would be licked clean the next morning. If you were to follow the manual it's time to wean them off milk but surely 6 weeks is too young?

Give them 8 bags of milk, then wean them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Know of any good farmers up your way?

Great salespeople though!

Muckit wrote: »
    And don't you know he's probably over on his side of the ditch thinking "look at the poor h**r and his bottle fed calves!!"

Takes all types!

Indeed it does.

Sure don’t we all look across the hedge and think “what the hell is he at now”.

Same as we all look into the fields and yards as we drive along to see what lads are up to.

_Brian wrote: »
    Indeed it does.

Sure don’t we all look across the hedge and think “what the hell is he at now”.

Same as we all look into the fields and yards as we drive along to see what lads are up to.

Nah that's just you

• Advertisement

Nah that's just you

:)
    Probably

Miss driving the truck, ya could see so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Probably

Way more dangerous in a truck. Oh takes his eyes off the road to gawk at something and next thing he's over the other side of the road. Same in the jeep....

whelan2 wrote: »
    Way more dangerous in a truck. Oh takes his eyes off the road to gawk at something and next thing he's over the other side of the road. Same in the jeep....

Indeed

Probably

That's where the new tractor is handy. A good 2 or 3 foot higher ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    My concern would be calving ability aswell, if you put a saler on her to start and see how it goes, she should bring plenty shape. Can’t advise on the ch though

Tver is the best bull for maternal calving difficulty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Some disaster of a morning here. Had a 14 month old heifer I bought off a cousin turned out to be in calf, couldn't give her back to him because he got caught with tb in the meantime. Went calving this morning and I wasn't expecting it for another week at least. Had the head out so had to try pulling, got locked on the hips. Calf dead. Called vet to come but managed to bring calf in the meantime and got the heifer standing for a minute after even though she was very wobbly. Vet came then and gave here a shot of cortasone and a bottle of calcium into the vein. Just coming to the end of the bottle of calcium and she dropped dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Some disaster of a morning here. Had a 14 month old heifer I bought off a cousin turned out to be in calf, couldn't give her back to him because he got caught with tb in the meantime. Went calving this morning and I wasn't expecting it for another week at least. Had the head out so had to try pulling, got locked on the hips. Calf dead. Called vet to come but managed to bring calf in the meantime and got the heifer standing for a minute after even though she was very wobbly. Vet came then and gave here a shot of cortasone and a bottle of calcium into the vein. Just coming to the end of the bottle of calcium and she dropped dead.

Ah fcuk LC. It's days like that which are hard to forget. Far easier to forget the good days which is a very annoying way for our brains to work.
    You tried your best & you can't ask for more than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Odelay

Pat Quirke found guilty.

Feel sorry for the kids on both sides. All raised there, one set already lost a bother, now know their father was a cheat and a murderer. The other set lost their father and know what their mother was up to. No winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Odelay wrote: »
    Pat Quirke found guilty.

Feel sorry for the kids on both sides. All raised there, one set already lost a bother, now know their father was a cheat and a murderer. The other set lost their father and know what their mother was up to. No winners.

I think it's the first time anyone's been convicted on circumstantial evidence in this country.?
    There was no real evidence that showed he actually did it. It was all he said she said and internet searches that matched timelines.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Pat Quirke found guilty.

I didn't follow the case but the plot wouldn't be out of place in a John B Keane play. Forbidden love, deceit and murder make great headlines in fairness. You never really know what's going through someone's mind at any given time, it's another dark peace of local history that won't be forgotten for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Boon Gould saxophonist, lead guitar and founding member of Level 42 was found dead at his home in the UK age 64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpdQQoc-gkk

I think it's the first time anyone's been convicted on circumstantial evidence in this country.?
    There was no real evidence that showed he actually did it. It was all he said she said and internet searches that matched timelines.
    I thought that the Joe O'Reilly case was the first and then Graham Dwyer afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

Pat Quirke found guilty.Feel sorry for the kids on both sides. All raised there, one set already lost a bother, now know their father was a cheat and a murderer. The other set lost their father and know what their mother was up to. No winners.
    Think it will be overturned on appeal

Base price wrote: »
    I thought that the Joe O'Reilly case was the first and then Graham Dwyer afterwards?

Oh jeez don't ask me.
    It's just something I heard mentioned on the radio.

Myself and the father here were convinced he wouldn't be found guilty especially when they had no real hard evidence, no admission of guilt, and the jury were taking so long.
    Oh he did it alright but it was an unusual case that we were wondering why the guards even brought it to trial. But then there's been a result.

• Advertisement

It reminds me of years ago when I used to help a local NCD dairy farmer during the calving season at weekends feeding & rearing calves.
    One Saturday morning a car was parked in a road field gate and the farmer couldn't get into the field with the silage feed trailer to feed heifers. He drove back to the yard and put the extended forks on the matbro, headed back up the road, lifted the car and deposited it in the furthest part of the field away from the road. The car was still there all day Sunday but was gone Monday morning.

Oh jeez don't ask me.
    It's just something I heard mentioned on the radio.

Myself and the father here were convinced he wouldn't be found guilty especially when they had no real hard evidence, no admission of guilt, and the jury were taking so long.
    Oh he did it alright but it was an unusual case that we were wondering why the guards even brought it to trial. But then there's been a result.
    The majority of the jury obviously didn't agree with you and your Dad.

In fairness they had access to evidence that we (the public) didn't.

The majority of the jury obviously didn't agree with you and your Dad.

In fairness they had access to evidence that we (the public) didn't.

Ah it was fairly well publicized.

I mean they had a milk recorder technician give evidence that he was late for milking the next morning after the day when the deceased went missing. I know it's building a case but how many times have any of us been late for morning milking.

Then the guards using a white body model in the slurry tank to prove that the remains couldn't have been seen in the tank. It's a bit farcical.

There's also evidence that was withheld from the jury. Sex tapes with not much spoken in that the guards thought relevant but the judge thought no point in showing the jury.

It's been very well publicized now that it's over.

The jury decision was 10 to 2 over 6 days and then they were even allowed home such was their indecision and taking so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What I don't get is......how can I put this delicately.....Mary Lowry - well, she's no oil painting.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

What I don't get is......how can I put this delicately.....Mary Lowry - well, she's no oil painting.
    You dont look at the mantle piece when poking the fire

Neither of them were.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see Ruby Walsh has retired. I wish him many days ahead, all starting with a full Irish and ending with a pint.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I see Ruby Walsh has retired. I wish him many days, all starting with a full Irish and ending with a pint.

I’d say he’s looking forward to a few decent meals at this stage!

dzer2 wrote: »
    You dont look at the mantle piece when poking the fire
    Near spat out my tea :eek::D

• Advertisement

Are they still appealling their cases? Joe o reillys kids live a few miles from her with his mother. They are the real losers in that case

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement