Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Roof on a lean-to tool shed lifting this morning! Supporting timber beam seems to have broken in the middle. I'm useless working off a ladder so we are planning to put concrete blocks to try and keep the iron roof on and will have to get someone to fix it properly. Hope wind dies down soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Milling rain here and I have a herd test
    The cows were happy to get out of the rain so no bother getting them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

So had a really busy weekend off farm had something every day and was out until 2sat night(not drinking m!) has a lovely spa day booked with friends yesterday.....but cows had other ideas.....
    One calved sat night all was fine but had to get her in and she was v agitated so had to be careful. Then realized A second cow was calving got her in, left but prayed she would be ok but got a Neighbour to check just in case. She calves fine-came back yesterday evening and a third cow was calving in the lashing rain and had to get her in. Then this morning a fourth one went....honestly I need to have words with our bull. Nothing for 3weeks then four together!! I don't think the relaxing affect from the spa lasted too long....wrecked in work now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

L1985 wrote: »
    So had a really busy weekend off farm had something every day and was out until 2sat night(not drinking m!) has a lovely spa day booked with friends yesterday.....but cows had other ideas.....
    One calved sat night all was fine but had to get her in and she was v agitated so had to be careful. Then realized A second cow was calving got her in, left but prayed she would be ok but got a Neighbour to check just in case. She calves fine-came back yesterday evening and a third cow was calving in the lashing rain and had to get her in. Then this morning a fourth one went....honestly I need to have words with our bull. Nothing for 3weeks then four together!! I don't think the relaxing affect from the spa lasted too long....wrecked in work now!

That will teach you to go off galavanting and enjoying yourself ;)

There was the poor bull, killing himself 9 months ago and that's all the thanks he gets:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

I know!! We had another weekend with seven calves.....I think when he gets going he forgets to stop!!!
    And yes where am I going with my relaxing notions.....that will teach me!!! Don’t think the effects of the facial held up too well in lashing rain either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

KatyMac wrote: »
    There was the poor bull, killing himself 9 months ago and that's all the thanks he gets:D

Soon after the Dept of Agriculture introduced it's Premium Bull Scheme a farmer hired the best bull in the country to service his cows. After 3 months the bull hadn't been returned so the Dept dispatched an inspector hotfoot to the farm to see what the situation was. He arrived at the farm and eventually saw the bull. He was pulling a plough up and down a field, with the farmer whipping him along and shouting ;
    "Get along outta that ya bugger ya, that'll teach ya theres more to life than romance".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

I know!! We had another weekend with seven calves.....I think when he gets going he forgets to stop!!!
    And yes where am I going with my relaxing notions.....that will teach me!!! Don’t think the effects of the facial held up too well in lashing rain either.....

Typical! All the females in heat at the same time and some how it’s the males fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

_Brian wrote: »
    Getting ready for the summer season.

https://extra.ie/2019/04/13/news/irish-news/banned-driver-car-caravan-seized-stopped-limerick

Summer over already?

Soon after the Dept of Agriculture introduced it's Premium Bull Scheme a farmer hired the best bull in the country to service his cows. After 3 months the bull hadn't been returned so the Dept dispatched an inspector hotfoot to the farm to see what the situation was. He arrived at the farm and eventually saw the bull. He was pulling a plough up and down a field, with the farmer whipping him along and shouting ;
    "Get along outta that ya bugger ya, that'll teach ya theres more to life than romance".

Reminds of the account told of Broad Haven near Achill which received the loan of a Spanish Jackass from the Congested Districts Board in order to help improve the the breeding of the local donkey. No sooner was the Jackass delivered to the area - that this particular specimen, reneged on its responsibilities and high tailed off to the mountains of Mayo where he roamed unhindered for several years.

His time being up, a ship was eventually dispatched with from the Congested District Board with the stated purpose "to capture and forcibly abduct the Spanish Jackass which was roaming the hills - 'somewhere in Mayo'"

It is said that the "Congested District Board had introduced a number of these tall Spanish beasts on the west coast for a time, in an endeavour to improve the stamina of the local donkey population". Local account records that "there was a particularly fine animal on Clare Island, affectionately know as the 'Congisted Ass' which would wander the roads, owing no allegiance and asking no favours" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The auld fella worked for a local character that had a garage and later a tyre remoulding business. The man in question could have had several books written about his escapades but I think one in particular is relevent to the above.

A woman living across the road from the garage had a terrier bitch that regularly came into heat. This was before neutering was common place and of course the bitch was confined to the house for a few days with all the male dogs of the locality assembled outside. The house was built on a small site between the footpath and a large earthen bank meaning it had no garden. This proved troublesome as the bitch had to go outside to do her business and left her vulnerable to the advances of the neighborhood dogs.

Someone advised her owner that a liberal application of petrol would mask the scent of her being in heat and solve the problem of letting the dog out unattended during these periods. The woman did as instructed and it was a great success, this process was repeated over a number of months and it became common knowledge around the village.

One day the bitch was in heat and the petrol was applied as usual. Her owner released the dog to attend to her business but was alarmed when she didn't return after a few minutes. Having went in search of the dog the woman called into the garage to ask had the dog been seen of late. Our man met the woman and having been informed of the missing bitch, her reproductive state and the application of petrol he offered the following: "I'm afraid mam she must have ran out of petrol as I saw Shivnan's dog towing her behind the garage a few minutes ago".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,514 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

emaherx wrote: »

That’s a shocking case, 3 kids loose in the caravan!
    They were moving home rather than on holidays.

gozunda wrote: »
    Reminds of the account told of Broad Haven near Achill which received the loan of Spanish Jackass from the Congested Districts Board in order to help improve the the breeding of the local donkey. No sooner was the Jackass delivered to the area - that this particular specimen, reneged on its responsibilities and high tailed off to the mountains of Mayo where he roamed unhindered for several years.

His time being up, a ship was eventually dispatched with from the Congested District Board with the stated purpose "to capture and forcibly abduct the Spanish Jackass which was roaming the hills - 'somewhere in Mayo'"

It is said that the "Congested District Board had introduced a number of these tall Spanish beasts on the west coast for a time, in an endeavour to improve the stamina of the local donkey population". Local account records that "there was a particularly fine animal on Clare Island, affectionately know as the 'Congisted Ass' which would wander the roads, owing no allegiance and asking no favours" ;)

This has brought to mind an ass that we used to borrow from neighbour to put out turf. He was, in comparison to our own asses, huge and my mother called him the Spanish Ass. I didn't understand at the time, but this makes sense now. He wasn't much use as a turf carrying animal! Too tall, long lanky legs, and a nose for every soft spot he could get stuck in. We spent 3 times as much time digging him out as we did filling his creels, while our own asses stood around 'laughing' at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

KatyMac wrote: »
    This has brought to mind an ass that we used to borrow from neighbour to put out turf. He was, in comparison to our own asses, huge and my mother called him the Spanish Ass. I didn't understand at the time, but this makes sense now. He wasn't much use as a turf carrying animal! Too tall, long lanky legs, and a nose for every soft spot he could get stuck in. We spent 3 times as much time digging him out as we did filling his creels, while our own asses stood around 'laughing' at us.

It does make you wonder if the department officials back then, got in the slighest bit carried away when they went on their holiers over to the continent.
    Spanish Jacks, Charolais bulls all suited to the environment in which they developed.

Meanwhile our own "natives" were looked down on and nearly neglected to history. Thanks to "those who knew better".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Following on from Patsy McCabe's posts that he's now a recognised "black irish"

Patsy you may interested to know where your and our ancestors came from.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47938188

It seems that the move northwards from Spain and northern Africa coincided with the Sahara drying up after the rains stopped and this thus previous rich farmland becoming worthless and the migration northwestwards towards Spain, France, southwest England and coastal Ireland began. Bringing with them their tradition of agriculture and stone circles with them.

https://www.livescience.com/4180-sahara-desert-lush-populated.html

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Anyone on here ever put back left window into seat Inca van or know any links that show me online? Can’t be that hard

Following on from Patsy McCabe's posts that he's now a recognised "black irish"

Patsy you may interested to know where your and our ancestors came from.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47938188

It seems that the move northwards from Spain and northern Africa coincided with the Sahara drying up after the rains stopped and this thus previous rich farmland becoming worthless and the migration northwestwards towards Spain, France, southwest England and coastal Ireland began. Bringing with them their tradition of agriculture and stone circles with them.

https://www.livescience.com/4180-sahara-desert-lush-populated.html

Patsy - so it was your lot responsible for those long lanky legged asses! :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It's made a fabulous evening, the cuckoo is singing and I've just seen the first wasp of the year. The forecast is optimistic looking into the long weekend, there's talk of turf cutting and fertilizer, no doubt when the weather plays ball it's a wonderful time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

It's made a fabulous evening, the cuckoo is singing and I've just seen the first wasp of the year. The forecast is optimistic looking into the long weekend, there's talk of turf cutting and fertilizer, no doubt when the weather plays ball it's a wonderful time of year.

The brother is going cutting turf tomorrow, he said the bosses phone is ringing off the hook since the forecast gave the weekend so warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,206 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are pubs allowed serve alcohol this good Friday?

Bullocks wrote: »
    The brother is going cutting turf tomorrow, he said the bosses phone is ringing off the hook since the forecast gave the weekend so warm

Would it not be very soft considering heavy rain forecast next week - to clarify, I know nothing about turf - have never been in the bog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭roosterman71

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are pubs allowed serve alcohol this good Friday?

They are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Would it not be very soft considering heavy rain forecast next week - to clarify, I know nothing about turf - have never been in the bog
    I wouldn't be great at it either. I think if it gets a skin after a couple of good days the rain wouldn't bother it. They were more afraid of frost damage than rain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

have never been in the bog

You haven't lived!!

Scratch that. Lucky you!!! Torture!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Muckit wrote: »
    You haven't lived!!

Scratch that. Lucky you!!! Torture!!

I've never been to the bog, never 'set spuds' or thinned turnips. Haven't lived according to my older neighbours.:o

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I've never been to the bog, never 'set spuds' or thinned turnips. Haven't lived according to my older neighbours.:o

That's gas Patsy. Would have pencilled you as a "bogger."

Whatever about not going to the bog, how'd you get away without sowing spuds? Did ye not sow a garden for the house? Ye must have been rich!

Remember setting and pitting spuds ok, dropping with the bell on a massy planter. Gathering after the spinner, hated being out on the outside where only odd spuds would land but I was Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I wouldn't be great at it either. I think if it gets a skin after a couple of good days the rain wouldn't bother it. They were more afraid of frost damage than rain

It depends on how heavy the rain is but about 3 days of wind & sun on them is ideal to set the skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Ffs it’s not even June and fcuking turf is mentioned

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement