Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Just got a load of lime delivered. I asked the driver to tip it up in the field. He looked at me like I had 2 heads but in fairness did as he was asked. In tipped up and drove out no bother. Rabbit sand has its uses!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Just got a load of lime delivered. I asked the driver to tip it up in the field. He looked at me like I had 2 heads but in fairness did as he was asked. In tipped up and drove out no bother. Rabbit sand has its uses!!!

The father here used to live in that part of the country. He'd say ploughing was a dream because you'd never hit a stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Muckit wrote: »
    That's gas Patsy. Would have pencilled you as a "bogger."

Whatever about not going to the bog, how'd you get away without sowing spuds? Did ye not sow a garden for the house? Ye must have been rich!

No, we never had a bog. Neither have any of my neighbours. Go 10 miles up the road and people would have them alright.
    One of my earliest memories was of an older neighbour ploughing here with a horse, but I reckon I was only a toddler at the time. My Dad was working off the farm 7 days a week for long hours, so that put an end to them, I suppose. Hadn't time to bless himself, as my Mother used to say.
    Were we rich? - Ya, like most families with 7 kids on a small west of Ireland farm. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

7 of us in it too. All the more reason to sow a garden to help feed ourselves!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Is there a list of Mart and county identifier codes available? I was looking through the blue cards earlier and some of the stock are "well traveled" and I'm curious as to what the various codes relate to. I'd know the local county and Mart codes but it's not a comprehensive knowledge.
    I know the county identifiers were changed to I think 3 regional codes in recent years. Under the old system Leitrim was 23, Roscommon and Sligo were 31 and 32 if my memory serves me right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Is there a list of Mart and county identifier codes available? I was looking through the blue cards earlier and some of the stock are "well traveled" and I'm curious as to what the various codes relate to. I'd know the local county and Mart codes but it's not a comprehensive knowledge.
    I know the county identifiers were changed to I think 3 regional codes in recent years. Under the old system Leitrim was 23, Roscommon and Sligo were 31 and 32 if my memory serves me right.
    Yes that was very handy when you were picking out cattle in the Mart as you could identify the County, 12 for Cavan, 28 Meath & 29 Monaghan, they would be local cattle in the Mart here, so if you seen a pen from say Kerry (19) you had a fair idea they belongs to one of the dealers..
    I can't work out where cattle are from at the minute with the new tags....

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Yes that was very handy when you were picking out cattle in the Mart as you could identify the County, 12 for Cavan, 28 Meath & 29 Monaghan, they would be local cattle in the Mart here, so if you seen a pen from say Kerry (19) you had a fair idea they belongs to one of the dealers..
    I can't work out where cattle are from at the minute with the new tags....

Exactly it was a help when sourcing stock, having said that I don't mind dealer's stock if there suitable quality and price. This is for breeding stock so moves aren't an issue and there are some lads I wouldn't deal with regardless of what they had. The county identifiers were done away with in 2016 I think in favour of 3 regional codes, 21, 22 and 23 are the codes now. The tag format of IE changed to 372 and the check digit moved down to the bottom line at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Up at 3:45 to hit NAC for 5am for swim training.

Feckin security guard 20 minutes late to open gates, at this time in the morning 20 minutes feels like forever to be hanging about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭dmakc

dmakc wrote: »

There's no excuse for letting the situation come anywhere remotely similar to the above but surely those involved have some "problems" that should have been dealt with long before now. I'm assuming they had farmed before this debacle so I wonder what factors led to such a sorry conclusion. I've seen welfare cases locally on a much smaller scale but just going by the pictures that seems horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

God that's horrendous. Mental health issues there with the owners, no doubt.
    I was expecting the usual vegan article 'oh, poor cattle standing in their own dung' etc, but that would shock the most hardened of us.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Jb1989

There's no excuse for letting the situation come anywhere remotely similar to the above but surely those involved have some "problems" that should have been dealt with long before now. I'm assuming they had farmed before this debacle so I wonder what factors led to such a sorry conclusion. I've seen welfare cases locally on a much smaller scale but just going by the pictures that seems horrific.

Really have to be in their shoes, assuming it was mental health, its a strange thing. I'd have experience of their situation with livestock, in a far smaller way, not ideal, but that's what happens in a dark place.

Wife was in vets office other day and a woman came barging in and cursed the vet and secretary out of it.

They had called ISPCA after being out and she was off the wall crazy over it.

Dead right when you see disgusting cases like that.

That’s serious mental health issues there. I bet their own living conditions were no better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Horrendous case. You'd wonder how it could reach that level of neglect without someone knowing.

There was obviously something seriously wrong that led to such a terrible situation and it's sad for both man and beast to go through the like. I often think that the more regimental one generation is about something the more lax the following one can become. I see several examples locally of places that were always kept pristine and ruled with an iron fist by one or more parents. Often times​ the successor was mollycoddled all there life and was unable to function when the auld pair died off. There's a prime example on our road, the place was picture perfect until the mother died and now the only son is an aged bachelor with little interest in it, the briars are growing around the front door and the cattle graze up to to back one. This isn't necessarily the case for the family above but you'd have to wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,265 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Horrendous case. You'd wonder how it could reach that level of neglect without someone knowing.

That's what I was thinking but we don't know the full story. Hopefully they are getting the help they need now

There was obviously something seriously wrong that led to such a terrible situation and it's sad for both man and beast to go through the like. I often think that the more regimental one generation is about something the more lax the following one can become. I see several examples locally of places that were always kept pristine and ruled with an iron fist by one or more parents. Often times​ the successor was mollycoddled all there life and was unable to function when the auld pair died off. There's a prime example on our road, the place was picture perfect until the mother died and now the only son is an aged bachelor with little interest in it, the briars are growing around the front door and the cattle graze up to to back one. This isn't necessarily the case for the family above but you'd have to wonder.

Know another case the same.
    Lad in his 50’s, smothered by aunts and uncles mother a widow and he couldn’t be told by anyone.

All he has now is 60acres of scrub, on a 15 year ban on licence,after previous ten year ban, cattle were taken because breaking out all the time and neighbors got sick of it.
    The aunties and uncles protecting him are all gone now and he’s all alone living in squalor drinking any money he can get, you’d smell him 20 yards away. Lays with a gypsie woman a fair bit when on tue beer hard. A real mental case

• Registered Users Posts: 29,265 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was it May 2018 the animals were found? Not standing up for them but if it was and they hadn't come to the attention of authorities before last spring was extremely challenging mentally and physically. I know no animals should be treated like that but it would explain some of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's the lives we live in now, Genghis. We're so busy rushing from one place to another to collect and drop off, we don't have time to stop into the neighbours to say hello.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was it May 2018 the animals were found? Not standing up for them but if it was and they hadn't come to the attention of authorities before last spring was extremely challenging mentally and physically. I know no animals should be treated like that but it would explain some of it

I can empathize with anyone who found the spring of 2018 difficult or indeed any time of year, non of us are infallible and you never truly know the circumstances inside any yard gate. However the pictures show a situation that hardly developed over night either, it looks to be prolonged neglect on an industrial scale. It's tragic that both man and beast had to suffer in such a manner.

With the age profile of farmers increasing all the time and rural isolation becoming more of a problem I'd be worried that such situations could become more common. There's a lot of aging one man operations locally and illness, poor weather etc can befall any of us. A lot of the population aren't interested in each other anymore, they'll sit back and expect someone else to act. Then when such situations are exposed they wonder how it was allowed happen and blame the state for not providing assistance to those in need, it's the little individual acts than can help make the change imo.

• Advertisement

Will a townie ever know the relief and happiness a clear herd test brings:)

Happy out !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Exactly it was a help when sourcing stock, having said that I don't mind dealer's stock if there suitable quality and price. This is for breeding stock so moves aren't an issue and there are some lads I wouldn't deal with regardless of what they had. The county identifiers were done away with in 2016 I think in favour of 3 regional codes, 21, 22 and 23 are the codes now. The tag format of IE changed to 372 and the check digit moved down to the bottom line at the same time.

As far back as I go, tags started with four digits and two letters. The first letter was a county code that matched the letter that was the first bit of the herd number. 26 letters for 26 counties. Put the counties in alphabetical order and go down the alphabet beside them. A was Carlow, Z was Wicklow. The second letter functioned like a number , going on to the next letter once 9999 was reached. Over the years the tags gained an extra letter and an extra digit with a check digit. The extra letter was an A at the end for most counties but Cork with its multiple DVOs got B and C (and maybe D) as well. The herd number gained an extra digit as a check digit but X was also included.
    Then came the first yellow tags with four letters and four digits followed by another letter. I could see no pattern to the letters.
    The next change was the recent herd identifiers with check digits followed by individual animal numbers, starting with 11 for Carlow and ending with 39 for West Wicklow, awarded similarly to before, I assume. Some counties with two DVOs got two. Tipperary got 33 and 34. Wicklow got 38 and 39.
    The recent change I can't follow. In my area its mixed between 21 and 22 with no county association I can see.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

_Brian wrote: »
    Will a townie ever know the relief and happiness a clear herd test brings:)

Happy out !

Or the stress in the week leading up to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Or the stress in the week leading up to it!

Be much the same as waiting for the Social Welfare officer to call, and wondering if you've hidden all the boyfriends stuff well enough......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Grueller

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Be much the same as waiting for the Social Welfare officer to call, and wondering if you've hidden all the boyfriends stuff well enough......

Laughed more than I should have at this

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Shocking and upsetting news from Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I couldn't believe it when I read that two atm's were stolen in Kells last night and two more were taken in separate raids in Antrim and Armagh. At this rate there will be none left in the country.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/0419/1043533-atm-kells/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I don't understand how it takes the guards so long to get to these robberies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I don't understand how it takes the guards so long to get to these robberies.

As far as I'm aware Kells has a 24hr barracks. Up the top end of the town. A few hundred yards from the robberies.

• Advertisement

As far as I'm aware Kells has a 24hr barracks. Up the top end of the town. A few hundred yards from the robberies.

Yea it has.

Funny the difference, we had a strange van creeping down our lane at 5am few years ago, Mrs rang local station and we had a car out in 10 minutes, and were five minutes from town.

I don’t think the guards want to confront serious criminals any more, chances of some idiot with a gun has gotten too high, can’t blame them either. New guards start at something like €23k, older guards never leave the station. Who’s going to risk their life for €23k a year, that’s less than €12/hr, they’d get more stacking shelves in Aldi.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement