Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Tzardine wrote:
    The journal now making excuses for the low turnout:

Comical Ali springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tzardine wrote: »

"We told you earlier that fewer than 130,000 people are in attendance, though 500,000 tickets were sold.

Our reporter Stephen McDermott has reminded us that this month, HSE emergency chiefs warned those with health problems against attending the mass if they were unable to do so, while poor weather is also understood to have kept many mass-goers at home.

He also notes a significant number of tickets were snapped up by protesters when they were made available in July, with some booking hundreds of tickets without any intention of attending today’s mass."
    500,000 tickets were not sold.
    1 - you cannot sell something that is given for free
    2 - the tickets did not run out, the timeframe ran out after only something like 300k were ordered.

Just under 1% of those 300k were ordered by me, and there were many others in the #saynopetothepope group that ordered way more than me and received them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I would say the weather put a lot off going but even at that the turn out is really poor.
    TV culture would affect the crowd too; nowadays, people watch everything on TV and wouldn't think of going somewhere.

As a smaller example, LoI clubs have given out about having their games live on telly because it hits crowds. Why bother getting off your arse if you can watch in 42" HD?

Wasn't an option in 79.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭harr

They have half a million pieces of bread for the communion and 8000 to give it out..that’s a lot of waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

cdeb wrote:
    Wasn't an option in 79.

There were TV's in 79 and JP's visit was televised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Jesus why does everyone look so depressed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

You'd have to say this is a fine long mass. He'll break Fr. Clippet's record at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

You wouldn't feel the winter going by with masses the length of this one.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    There were TV's in 79 and JP's visit was televised.
    There weren't 42" HD TVs though. Quality wouldn't have been remotely comparable to today's broadcast.

And TV culture has taken over markedly since 79. It's almost a mindset now that if you want to watch an event, TV is the first port of call, not the actual venue itself. Wasn't the case back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Is there a civil ceremony type thingy for funerals?

Yep
    http://civilfuneralsireland.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Tzardine wrote: »

"We told you earlier that fewer than 130,000 people are in attendance, though 500,000 tickets were sold.

Our reporter Stephen McDermott has reminded us that this month, HSE emergency chiefs warned those with health problems against attending the mass if they were unable to do so, while poor weather is also understood to have kept many mass-goers at home.

He also notes a significant number of tickets were snapped up by protesters when they were made available in July, with some booking hundreds of tickets without any intention of attending today’s mass."

I'm amazed anyone turned out given all the crimes of the Church.
    No tickets were sold, and everyone was more or less told to stay away. Thousands of tickets were burned.
    The authorities also made it as difficult as possible for people to attend and made them walk long distances. And the weather was shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

cdeb wrote: »
    TV culture would affect the crowd too; nowadays, people watch everything on TV and wouldn't think of going somewhere.

As a smaller example, LoI clubs have given out about having their games live on telly because it hits crowds. Why bother getting off your arse if you can watch in 42" HD?

Wasn't an option in 79.

If anything, TV has less sway now than in 1979. People are really grasping here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think I heard/read somewhere that Frankie didn't know about the Industrial Schools or the Magdalen laundries.

Did anyone else hear this?

It would be implausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Genuinely interested to know what happened the 350k other tickets that were released? I looked to get some a week ago and they were all gone? Did people just not go Because of the weather etc. the overhead shot there doesn’t look as empty as other shots

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

And TV culture has taken over markedly since 79. It's almost a mindset now that if you want to watch an event, TV is the first port of call, not the actual venue itself. Wasn't the case back then.

Yeah it was just like that in Limerick on Monday. We all stayed home to watch the hurlers arrive back on the news. No way did 120,000 of us all go do it in person. No wait......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

There weren't 42" HD TVs though. Quality wouldn't have been remotely comparable to today's broadcast

Not sure if serious

If anything, TV has less sway now than in 1979. People are really grasping here.
    I'll be honest - I wasn't around (much) in 1979, but I would be amazed if that were the case. People are far more inclined to watch an event on TV today rather than physically go to it, I would have thought.

Obviously the other reasons hold too; I'm just suggesting this as one more for the reduced crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Loads of excuses being thrown around:pac:
    Are people afraid to just say that many many people hate the catholic church and everything related to it and there are far less catholics in Ireland now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

They're just making claims of 500,000 in the speech at mass there. Just be using the same maths as Trump!?

iguana wrote: »
    Yeah it was just like that in Limerick on Monday. We all stayed home to watch the hurlers arrive back on the news. No way did 120,000 of us all go do it in person. No wait......
    The exception that proves the rule? :)

Fair point though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wasn't an option in 79.

You're just making excuses now.

People don't go t o LOI games for different reasons.

People just have not shown up like in 79 and there was live coverage on tv then.

The country has thankfully changed and the church no longer has the power and influence it had.

Just need the media to realise this and give them less airtime than what they get now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

The time has arrived for the state to seize control of the schools. The tyranny of the rcc in Ireland is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭appledrop

Very few people going to see the Pope by the looks of it. The weather will be used as the excuse but even yesterday when lovely day very few lined the streets in city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

ELM327 wrote: »
    500,000 tickets were not sold.
    1 - you cannot sell something that is given for free
    2 - the tickets did not run out, the timeframe ran out after only something like 300k were ordered.

Just under 1% of those 300k were ordered by me, and there were many others in the #saynopetothepope group that ordered way more than me and received them.

Why did you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Genuinely interested to know what happened the 350k other tickets that were released? I looked to get some a week ago and they were all gone? Did people just not go Because of the weather etc. the overhead shot there doesn’t look as empty as other shots

One guy was on here earlier boasting he alone burned 3500 and said so did many others, so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'll be honest - I wasn't around (much) in 1979, but I would be amazed if that were the case. People are far more inclined to watch an event on TV today rather than physically go to it, I would have thought.

Obviously the other reasons hold too; I'm just suggesting this as one more for the reduced crowd.

That'll be one of the excuses for sure

murpho999 wrote: »
    People don't go t o LOI games for different reasons.
    Not the point I'm making. Those who do go are less inclined to go if the game is on telly.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    The country has thankfully changed and the church no longer has the power and influence it had.
    Completely agree with this, and amn't looking to deny it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,384 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

500,000 was simply a nominal upper limit given that all tickets were completely free and that was the maximum number they could cater for in one area. That doesn't mean they actually expected 500,000 would show up....it was total guesswork after the tickets were distributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

There was extensive television coverage in 1979. We did not have 42 inch HD, but I have vivid memories of myself and the cousins heading off to my aunt's house to watch it in colour.

I was 7 and if I recall correctly we also got the Monday off school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

There weren't 42" HD TVs though. Quality wouldn't have been remotely comparable to today's broadcast.

You're just digging a bigger hole for yourself now.

TVs then were at the level that everyone was used to and it was perfectly fine.

The country was more religious then, simple as that.

To follow your logic then ever live even would be empty, GAA games, Ireland rugby and football etc.

42" would be small by today's standards too.;)

Advertisement