Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene foster to attend ulster final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its great to see Arlene at the Ulster Final but the DUP and Sinn Fein need to restore power sharing up in Northern Ireland.

They are acting like spoilt children up there, the good people of the North want these loudmouths back at work in Stormount.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

She doesn't attend, she gets abused.
    She does attend, she gets abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I dunno, I can think of lots of others, too.

All equally bad, mind.

Yes. A hate of homosexuals, hate of Catholics and economic illiteracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Still waiting for the absolutists who claim the GAA is a nationalist organisation to show one nationalist statement from the GAA.
    "Absolutists", is it? Absolutely what? Absolutely paying the least bit of attention the Gaa's entirely culture, ethos, and indeed entire bleedin' constitution? They need to be making statements, too? As of, "of the blitheringly obvious"?

I'm a little slack of jaw wondering if the Gaa isn't a nationalist organisation, what on earth be? Maybe people about three Republican splits to the irredentist side of the GFA.
    They have worked hard to separate themselves from that and deserve credit for it.
    I concur, they do. It was a long time coming, and happened on the strength of the Irish government shoving pretty vast sums of money into Gaa coffers for the privilege, mind you. But equally, some Gaa people at least did it for more broad-minded reasons, and as with Foster's gesture, it would be a positive development even if it had been done for entirely cynical and calculating reasons.
    But typically, a woman who represents a STILL religiously bigoted and culturally suprematist party deserves credit, in the eyes of the fawning. :rolleyes:
    And meanwhile, and actually typically, the zero-sum mentality types wheel out melodramatic characterisation of the most heavily qualified of acknowledge of what any sane person would see as a positive step as "fawning".

steddyeddy wrote: »

Don't forget people having sex. Especially the wimmenfolks, shameless hussies that they are. Or parktaking of the Devil's Buttermilk. Or Presbyterians that aren't quite as miserable as their sort.

Let's not be exclusive, I'm sure we could fill a whole thread of this alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Nonsense as usual.

The RUC had a GAA team.

How long ago is it since they existed?

Stop propagating myths. Arlene was there today because she can't claim that nonsense anymore.

The RUC gaa team ended with the RUC. You can now enjoy the PSNI gaa team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

For what obvious reasons?

Sectarianism and a desire to see Northern Ireland regress economically are the only reasons for voting DUP.
    Or you believe in the Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did you ever watch Gerry Adams try to discuss economics in debates?

He was like a primary school kid.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Are you saying “foreign sports” being banned by the Gah is nonsense?

These days, to be fair, "foreign", "alien", and indeed "not racy of the soil" are confined to the appendices of the Gaa rulebook, and aren't operative as such. (I'm very much open to be corrected if I'm missing any synonyms, or any practices operable at county by-law level or the like.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Don't forget people having sex. Especially the wimmenfolks, shameless hussies that they are. Or parktaking of the Devil's Buttermilk. Or Presbyterians that aren't quite as miserable as their sort.

Let's not be exclusive, I'm sure we could fill a whole thread of this alone.

I could never vote for them down here in the South, they're so much like the Catholic church was here up to recent times when the country gave them the two fingers with the Same Sex Marraige Referemdum and the recent Abortion Referendum, the irony of it ha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

NIMAN wrote: »

Did you ever watch Gerry Adams try to discuss economics in debates?

He was like a primary school kid.
    Sinn Fein would have it's supporters thinking they are untouchable, they know everything, they will make money grow on trees to run country and they all believe it.

Patser wrote: »
    In this case it's irrelevant who's right or wrong on this - and I'd agree with you Francie that the GAA has been a much more open organisation for years, than it's given credit for.

The DUP has not been in any way an open organisation, so even this slight crack of light, this small change is noteworthy. The news today is about Arlene making steps towards openness, towards something her followers wouldn't wouldn't like or follow.

It's pretty weird that the two are even being compared -- on the face of it pretty much a category error, given the different nature of the two organisations. But I equally see why, given the enormous baggage each has over and above what one might think of as their "core" purpose.
    The GAA is just a sports body (albeit with huge Irish cultural resonance).
    They're a sports body, but hardly just! That's not even their "Basic Aim". Much less their Additional ones.
    The DUP is political and responsible for leading and shaping the North's future.
    Only because people are daft enough to keep voting for them, mind you. The fools, the fools. I mean, it's not like unionists are going to get any love in this thread, but "because unionism!" is hardly an excuse.

GoneHome wrote: »
    I could never vote for them down here in the South, they're so much like the Catholic church was here up to recent times when the country gave them the two fingers with the Same Sex Marraige Referemdum and the recent Abortion Referendum, the irony of it ha

Denominational Horseshoe Theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Are you saying “foreign sports” being banned by the Gah is nonsense?

By this do mean the ban abolished 50 years ago, or not renting out grounds to competitors? Lots of organisations do not rent their facilities to competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Again, how long ago was that?

It’s now. Are you that ignorant of Irish life?

Foreign sports are banned from using GAA facilities by the GAA. A rule endorsed by GAA members. Anybody who knows anything about the GAA knows this to be a fact.

Bizarre that it even needs explaining.

And you’ve completely ignored the point about the GAA flying the Irish flag and playing the Irish national anthem but never doing likewise for their British equivalents.

Conveniently ignored might I add.

By this do mean the ban abolished 50 years ago, or not renting out grounds to competitors? Lots of organisations do not rent their facilities to competitors.

It’s clear that I was referring to the latter.

It’s a quasi-racist ban. We’ve all met those members of the GAA who pride themselves as being überIrish. The moral superiors of our society. The ones who were cap in hand with the RC Church.

Thankfully they are dying out though.

These days, to be fair, "foreign", "alien", and indeed "not racy of the soil" are confined to the appendices of the Gaa rulebook, and aren't operative as such. (I'm very much open to be corrected if I'm missing any synonyms, or any practices operable at county by-law level or the like.)

Their bigoted rules are very much in operation.

But feel free to lift up that carpet and brush it all under. Fair play to you.

Anything else you’d like to make excuses for while you’re at it?

It’s a quasi-racist ban. We’ve all met those members of the GAA who pride themselves as being überIrish. The moral superiors of our society. The ones who were cap in hand with the RC Church.

And FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Taytoland wrote: »
    Or you believe in the Union.

The DUP have been a boon for nationalism, a united Ireland, and are well on their way to helping the Tories tear the UK asunder.

Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Did she sing the national anthem ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It’s now. Are you that ignorant of Irish life?

Foreign sports are banned from using GAA facilities by the GAA. A rule endorsed by GAA members. Anybody who knows anything about the GAA knows this to be a fact.

Bizarre that it even needs explaining.

And you’ve completely ignored the point about the GAA flying the Irish flag and playing the Irish national anthem but never doing likewise for their British equivalents.

Conveniently ignored might I add.

You been re-reading your old National Front magazines?

You seem cut off from reality.

Danzy wrote: »
    You been re-reading your old National Front magazines?

You seem cut off from reality.

Really? Do feel free to point out anything I’ve said which isn’t true.

Go ahead......

Sad that you had to imply that I’m some sort of racist to deflect away from me pointing out truths that you seem to be uncomfortable with.

The DUP have been a boon for nationalism, a united Ireland, and are well on their way to helping the Tories tear the UK asunder.

I dunno about nationalism in general. Certainly the DUP and SF have each been highly effective in each driving up business for the other.

Not to certain competitors. And with the notable exception of Croke Park -- is there a sport that's not been played there, at this stage?

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Did she sing the national anthem ?

I would doubt it, as its not her anthem.

Did the Colombia players sing the Polish national anthem at the WC tonight?

As long as she showed it due respect, thats all that can be expected of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

There is nothing in the slightest bit racist (quasi or anything) about not ground sharing with other sports.

You need to learn what racism is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is it time for the GAA to drop the anthem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is it time for the GAA to drop the anthem?

No and I say that as someone who is no fan of the GAA. They need to bin their nonsensical attitude towards other sports, stop naming their facilities in NI after terrorists, issue bans to any clubs which does the later, drop their love-in with the RCC and move into the modern world in general. Fair play to Arlene for attending that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

NIMAN wrote: »
    And FF.

It's the other way round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Berserker wrote: »
    No and I say that as someone who is no fan of the GAA. They need to bin their nonsensical attitude towards other sports, stop naming their facilities in NI after terrorists, issue bans to any clubs which does the later, drop their love-in with the RCC and move into the modern world in general. Fair play to Arlene for attending that game.

I'd be happy enough to see it dropped. It's anachronistic and divisive. And I am a GAA person.

Advertisement