Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene foster to attend ulster final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Pretending that a woman who was quite happy to insult and jibe a few months ago (and whose party members personally insulted Irish ministers) is genuine in her attendance today is codding yourself. IMO.

And calling it "genuine" is something I didn't do, but you keep saying I did anyway. AAMOF.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I believe the technically correct term for people calling the Gaa a nationalist organisation is "realists".

It has probably the same ratio of nationalist members as the IRFU has unionist members.
    Both orgs have members from all political persuasions and creeds.

Keep trying.

And calling it "genuine" is something I didn't do, but you keep saying I did anyway. AAMOF.

So you are ok if I reject it as not genuine like yourself?

Fair enough.

I'm off to enjoy the evening sun.

It has probably the same ratio of nationalist members as the IRFU has unionist members.
    I'm not talking about its membership roster. I'm talking about its "ethos".
    Keep trying.

I'm enough happy to keep succeeding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

I'm not talking about its membership roster.  I'm talking about its "ethos".
    Keep trying.

I'm enough happy to keep succeeding.
    What is the numbers on people who are from a non nationalist background who play GAA? Can we get some meat on these bones so to speak.

• Advertisement

Not necessarily. We may know in the future though.

Could she afford to rebuff another public invitation after her volley of insults over the 1916 events? Who knows.

So, your take on this is that she was completely forced into it, so the correct, grown-up response is to sneer at her for not having done it sooner, better, and generally more to your liking.

And you're calling other people conspiracy theorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

History.

Do you understand what that is?

The GAA is no longer an exclusively 'nationalist' organisation and has been 'reaching out' for donkey years and has all creeds and political persuausions playing and running it.

But some love perpetuating the myth. I.E. the conspiracy theorists :rolleyes:

In this case it's irrelevant who's right or wrong on this - and I'd agree with you Francie that the GAA has been a much more open organisation for years, than it's given credit for.

The DUP has not been in any way an open organisation, so even this slight crack of light, this small change is noteworthy. The news today is about Arlene making steps towards openness, towards something her followers wouldn't wouldn't like or follow.

The GAA is just a sports body (albeit with huge Irish cultural resonance). The DUP is political and responsible for leading and shaping the North's future.

Taytoland wrote: »
    What is the numbers on people who are from a non nationalist background who play GAA? Can we get some meat on these bones so to speak.

Be interesting to see that, right enough. Maybe a little sensitive for the Gaa to be overtly collecting that sort of data -- much less publishing it. Probably common enough in the Republic, rather more tribal in the North. Somewhat tangential to the point at hand, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I wouldn't know if such figures exist.
    If they do, it would be a peculiar statistic for a club to actually officially collect.
    Our local club has a few C of I players.
    There were one or two Methodists back when I played a bit, (15 years ago now)
    One of the selectors objected to allowing them membership, because they also played rugby.
    Even though 5 or 6 (RC) club members played rugby with them in the the local club also.

He is no longer a selector.

As soon as you can show us the GAA acting as an exclusively nationalist organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As soon as you can show us the GAA acting as an exclusively nationalist organisation.

Is it an exclusively nationalist organisation. No.

Is it a nationalist organisation? Absolutely.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I wouldn't know if such figures exist.
    If they do, it would be a peculiar statistic for a club to actually officially collect.
    Our local club has a few C of I players.
    There were one or two Methodists back when I played a bit, (15 years ago now)
    One of the selectors objected to allowing them membership, because they also played rugby.
    Even though 5 or 6 (RC) club members played rugby with them in the the local club also.

He is no longer a selector.

Indeed. It would be bizarre if they collected that data.

Well show us then, how it is?
    It is an Irish sporting and cultural organisation.

Exactly. A blind man can see it. It's not a bad thing. Why is Francie so up tight about it. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Indeed. It would be bizarre if they collected that data.

There is quite an overlap of players here in Cavan, the way the playing seasons dovetail together helps.
    Christmas charity matches see a big crossover.
    One lifelong GAA man in his late 30's, and being shown the ball for the first time in the changing room before the match asked " what side of this thing would a fellow kick?"
    "The outside" was the only advice he was given :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

Tbf it is very nationlistic in outlook and ethos....your trying claim black is white in denying it?

It's founders were irish nationliats (and republicans)....but it deos seem to going hand over fist in outreach and it's 100% ok to do so.....but shouldn't forget it's past or the hardship endures by its supporters throughout the war up there (circa 50 ppl killed solely for gaa involvement by loyalists)

This was a brilliant outreach and long overdue...hopefully it'll be a annual thing

Blaas4life wrote: »
    Tbf it is very nationlistic in outlook and ethos....your trying claim black is white in denying it?

It's founders were irish nationliats (and republicans)....but it deos seem to going hand over fist in outreach and it's 100% ok to do so.....but shouldn't forget it's past or the hardship endures by its supporters throughout the war up there (circa 50 ppl killed solely for gaa involvement by loyalists)

This was a brilliant outreach and long overdue...hopefully it'll be a annual thing

It has members that are nationalists just like the IRFU have no doubt many unionist members.

But it is not a unionist organisation just as the GAA is not a nationalist org for a very long time.

If it was Arlene would never have darkened it's door.
    She no longer can pretend it is, therefore she was there today.

It has members that are nationalists just like the IRFU have no doubt many unionist members.

But it is not a unionist organisation just as the GAA is not a nationalist org for a very long time.

If it was Arlene would never have darkened it's door.
    She no longer can pretend it is, therefore she was there today.
    She is from Fermanagh and hoped for some glory, that's all. They let her down, it's on them. She is more than aware of the nationalist background of the GAA.

She is from Fermanagh and hoped for some glory, that's all. They let her down, it's on them. She is more than aware of the nationalist background of the GAA.

And the rest of the people there know of the religiously bigoted and beligerent unionist present of the DUP guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hmmm.

Bans “foreign sports” like football and rugby from using GAA grounds. Nice bit of hypocrisy in allowing American football games though.

Fly the Irish tricolour and play Amhran na bhFiann, never fly the Union Jack or play GSTQ.

Have banned members of the British security forces from their organisation, but not members of the Irish security forces.

Anyone who tho thinks it’s not a nationalist organisation is deluded.

It’s a bit like claiming that Linfield is not a football club of the unionist community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

She gets plenty of stick for being a unionist and generally coming across as anti-nationlist

But I think she deserves massive credit for attending this (so many boardsies malign the gaa :()and hope she receives a good reception

Fair dues to her

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Hmmm.

Bans “foreign sports” like football and rugby from using GAA grounds. Nice bit of hypocrisy in allowing American football games though.

Fly the Irish tricolour and play Amhran na bhFiann, never fly the Union Jack or play GSTQ.

Have banned members of the British security forces from their organisation, but not members of the Irish security forces.

Anyone who tho thinks it’s not a nationalist organisation is deluded.

It’s a bit like claiming that Linfield is not a football club of the unionist community.

Nonsense as usual.

The RUC had a GAA team.

How long ago is it since they existed?

Stop propagating myths. Arlene was there today because she can't claim that nonsense anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

Nonsense as usual.

The RUC had a GAA team.

Stop propagating myths. Arlene was there today because she can't claim that nonsense anymore.

Agh come on....I remember the GAA removing the ban on membets of the British security forces from joining

Why argue on easily proven points?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_21

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Nonsense as usual.

The RUC had a GAA team.

Are you saying “foreign sports” being banned by the Gah is nonsense?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Are you saying “foreign sports” being banned by the Gah is nonsense?

Again, how long ago was that?

Still waiting for the absolutists who claim the GAA is a nationalist organisation to show one nationalist statement from the GAA.
    They have worked hard to separate themselves from that and deserve credit for it.
    But typically, a woman who represents a STILL religiously bigoted and culturally suprematist party deserves credit, in the eyes of the fawning. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Fair plays to her for making this step. The Gaa in particular in Northern Ireland has an image problem amongst many unionists up here.

I think some of the NI counties even voted against the ending of the banning of security force members from the organisation. I will stick my neck out and guess Tyrone we’re against it for example.The GAA never appeared to have any problem with ira members funny enough...

I read an article a while back about the quite recent horrific incident involving peter heffron (spelling), the catholic psni Gaelic player who “brave” Irish republicans blew his legs off using a car bomb. He was very disappointed at how his club (kickams gac) had more or less disowned him afterwards (And indeed a lot of suspicions about if he was set up by someone close to the club)

It’s things like this that really put the gaa in a bad light in the eyes of many unionists within NI. It’s certainly the most one sided sport by far in NI anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Can't stand the oul trout, but yer on the ball. She has been directly affected by the war, her Da got shot in front of her as a young kid. It won't be easy to for her to stand there cheering on Fermanagh,so we can't deny credit on that front. Very humble and very brave. Relating to the first part of your post, she is anti nationalist. Thing is though, none of her predecessors made the effort of doing similar before. It's progress I suppose, albeit a tiny piece of *progress but there ya go. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Spot on Harry, I can't stand the "woman" (was going to use a different word beginning with "C") either but fair play to her for this move whatever good it will do, it's possibly all a PR stunt at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

For what obvious reasons?

Sectarianism and a desire to see Northern Ireland regress economically are the only reasons for voting DUP.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Sectarianism and a desire to see Northern Ireland regress economically are the only reasons for voting DUP.

I dunno, I can think of lots of others, too.

All equally bad, mind.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »

Spot on. And those of us who want true equality will keep calling out the religiously and culturally bigoted DUP

Advertisement