Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene foster to attend ulster final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Anyone know was she there for the national anthem?

Robinson sat in the car while it played, such lack of respect should be treated as such. I would have withdrawn his invite tbh.

Locally there is a sense that Arlene was snookered into this, I don't believe, given her insulting remarks about the 1916 commemorations, that this was her own initiative.
    It's fairly redundant window dressing as a result.

She stood the anthem I didn't think she had it in her... she got a warm reception seemingly.
    That Heather Humphries tory fg td was right beside her while Michelle o Neill sf was a row behind eyes on the game... I have family up there so was hoping for the underdogs but not to be.

Video below hopefully,.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-44593896/dup-leader-stands-for-irish-national-anthem-at-gaa-match

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Anyone know was she there for the national anthem?
    RTE wrote:
    Mrs Foster and party colleague Christopher Stalford then stood with the rest of the crowd as the Irish national anthem was played.
    Robinson sat in the car while it played, such lack of respect should be treated as such. I would have withdrawn his invite tbh.
    Classy of you. "Other side not conceding enough!", says unreconstructed hardliner not conceding an inch themself.

Realistically, look at it like this. First, the DUP are doing this in small stages. First a random MLA shows up. Then the leader, but skips the anthem. Then the next leader shows up for the whole shebang.

Secondly, this was politically easier for Foster than for Robinson, as it was in the Southern Foreign Power(TM). Standing for Amhrán na bhFiann in this context is just normal "diplomatic" protocol. (Slow enough as they've been even to manage that, mind you.) Petey attended a match in Armagh, where it would inevitably been seen as a concession to what his community construe as irredentism.
    Locally there is a sense that Arlene was snookered into this, I don't believe, given her insulting remarks about the 1916 commemorations, that this was her own initiative.
    It's fairly redundant window dressing as a result.
    Give me even minimally positive window-dressing over wholly reactionary negativity like this, any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You couldn't even imagine this happening 20 years ago. Any progress, no matter how slight, is welcome.

davycc wrote: »
    tory fg td

Isn't that a redundancy? Or do Tory TDs come in both FG and FF flavours?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Classy of you. "Other side not conceding enough!", says unreconstructed hardliner not conceding an inch themself.

Realistically, look at it like this. First, the DUP are doing this in small stages. First a random MLA shows up. Then the leader, but skips the anthem. Then the next leader shows up for the whole shebang.

Secondly, this was politically easier for Foster than for Robinson, as it was in the Southern Foreign Power(TM). Standing for Amhrán na bhFiann in this context is just normal "diplomatic" protocol. (Slow enough as they've been even to manage that, mind you.) Petey attended a match in Armagh, where it would inevitably been seen as a concession to what his community construe as irredentism.

Give me even minimally positive window-dressing over wholly reactionary negativity like this, any day of the week.

You can cod yourself that this was genuine. Rather than hardline, I am realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

davycc wrote: »
    She stood the anthem I didn't think she had it in her... she got a warm reception seemingly.
    That Heather Humphries tory fg td was right beside her while Michelle o Neill sf was a row behind eyes on the game... I have family up there so was hoping for the underdogs but not to be.

Video below hopefully,.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-44593896/dup-leader-stands-for-irish-national-anthem-at-gaa-match

Ever feel yous see a day both yourself and foster cheering on the same thing :eek:

Sport really deos bring people together

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

You can't win with some people. If she attends, it's just a stunt, if she doesn't attend, it's a disgrace and how dare she not turn up. Hopefully Michelle O'Neil will now attend some local Unionist event in the coming months.

Taytoland wrote: »
    You can't win with some people. If she attends, it's just a stunt, if she doesn't attend, it's a disgrace and how dare she not turn up. Hopefully Michelle O'Neil will now attend some local Unionist event in the coming months.

The Ulster Final is not a 'Republican' or 'Nationalist' event. It is an Ulster sporting occasion, enjoyed by all religions and political viewpoints on the rest of the island.
    These political leaders should have been in attendance years ago. Unionists are way way behind in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Rossnowlagh would be her best bet.

Of the 12th celebrations, it's one of the least threatening.

Not a chance she'd do the 12th, 12th August, or Last Saturday.

The Ulster Final is not a 'Republican' or 'Nationalist' event. It is an Ulster sporting occasion, enjoyed by all religions and political viewpoints on the rest of the island.
    These political leaders should have been in attendance years ago. Unionists are way way behind in this regard.
    So why was God Save the Queen not also played before the game? Don't be so naive, most within the Unionist community see the GAA as political and Nationalist which is fine, they are Nationalist in politics and nature. History shows us this, maybe more so in Ulster than the rest of the Island but it is what it is.

• Advertisement

Rossnowlagh would be her best bet.

Of the 12th celebrations, it's one of the least threatening.

Not a chance she'd do the 12th, 12th August, or Last Saturday.

11th bonfire would seem to be a bigger event in most places from what I know

However I can't see her attending an event for an organisation that bans Catholics from membership??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It probably its a self serving, publicity measure but It can't do any harm. At the end, there's DUP voters and members that would never do that so it's at least an example, however cosmetic, in how to behave graciously.

So why was God Save the Queen not also played before the game? Don't be so naive, most within the Unionist community see the GAA as political and Nationalist which is fine, they are Nationalist in politics and nature. History shows us this, maybe more so in Ulster than the rest of the Island but it is what it is.

Look forward, not back.

It is this kind of thinking (that the GAA is some nationalist conspiracy) that has the unionist ideology in a bunker of hate.

An Irish Taoiseach or minister speaking about protecting our economic future will be insulted left right and centre by these people, without any reference to the political weight of what they have to say. I don't think I am naive one here. :rolleyes:

Blaas4life wrote: »

However I can't see her attending an event for an organisation that bans Catholics from membership??

There's no real "official" 11th bonfire though. And trying to have any kind of a security presence wouldn't end well.

It is this kind of thinking (that the GAA is some nationalist conspiracy) that has the unionist ideology in a bunker of hate.

An Irish Taoiseach or minister speaking about protecting our economic future will be insulted left right and centre by these people, without any reference to the political weight of what they have to say. I don't think I am naive one here. :rolleyes:
    It's not a conspiracy, a conspiracy is saying Aliens are underneath Area51. It's perfectly obvious to see the GAA is nationalist in nature and has grounds named after nationalists. What is wrong with pointing out the obvious and just factual information? Which I have no issue with at all. Fair play to them, that is what they believe and as a Unionist I have to respect them for being up front about it. It's just odd seeing some not wanting to acknowledge it as if something is wrong with it.

And burns effigies of people they hate. As well as the Irish tricolour.

Is this what they want in reciprocation? An Irish political leader attending and applauding that? Jesus!

There's no real "official" 11th bonfire though. And trying to have any kind of a security presence wouldn't end well.

Sure they'll just have to have 1 and liase with local paramilitaries to ensure safety....and to ensure to effergies and irish flags etc burnt on it etc....but no reason it can't happen

You can cod yourself that this was genuine.
    Wherein do I "cod" myself that? Fake it until you make it, if that's the way progress can be made.
    Rather than hardline, I am realistic.
    You're apparently here to scoff at and to minimise what (little enough!) the unionists have done for reconciliation, and to rue nationalists having done as much as they have. Nothing realistic about that. Just reactionary and unreconstructedly partisan.

It's not a conspiracy, a conspiracy is saying Aliens are underneath Area51. It's perfectly obvious to see the GAA is nationalist in nature and has grounds named after nationalists. What is wrong with pointing out the obvious and just factual information? Which I have no issue with at all. Fair play to them, that is what they believe and as a Unionist I have to respect them for being up front about it. It's just odd seeing some not wanting to acknowledge it as if something is wrong with it.

The GAA is not a 'nationalist' organisation and welcomes all creeds and political persuasions for years and years now.
    People like Arlene were quite happy to perpetuate the myth though. i.e. conspiracy theories.

*They have grounds named after all sorts of people btw. The town nearest to Arlene's birthplace hosts the Ulster final and the pitch is called after the same person the local Protestant church is - St. Tiernach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Obviously not,unless Fermanagh are putting an over 55s team out. Nonetheless, it would be a pretty safe bet to say that somebody on the Fermanagh county board had a hand in it. You know that, I know that and she certainly knows that. Geebag as she is, I think she's a humble and brave woman to attend the last two games.

I don't know that and if I thought I did I'd wonder about my mental health.
    Do you think it came up at a committee meeting after the minor fixtures?

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Wherein do I "cod" myself that? Fake it until you make it, if that's the way progress can be made.

You're apparently here to scoff at and to minimise what (little enough!) the unionists have done for reconciliation, and to rue nationalists having done as much as they have. Nothing realistic about that. Just reactionary and unreconstructedly partisan.

Pretending that a woman who was quite happy to insult and jibe a few months ago (and whose party members personally insulted Irish ministers) is genuine in her attendance today is codding yourself. IMO.

Pretending that a woman who was quite happy to insult and jibe a few months ago (and whose party members personally insulted Irish ministers) is genuine in her attendance today is codding yourself. IMO.

What if she's wanting to show leadership for others to reach out

There was no political pressure for her to attend?

The GAA is not a 'nationalist' organisation and welcomes all creeds and political persuasions for years and years now.
    People like Arlene were quite happy to perpetuate the myth though. i.e. conspiracy theories.

*They have grounds named after all sorts of people btw. The town nearest to Arlene's birthplace hosts the Ulster final and the pitch is called after the same person the local Protestant church is - St. Tiernach.
    It's perfectly obvious the history of the GAA is nationalist. It supports nationalist causes. https://www.historyireland.com/18th-19th-century-history/the-gaa-and-the-development-of-nationalism/

What if she's wanting to show leadership for others to reach out

There was no political pressure for her to attend?

How do you know there wasn't?

How do you know there wasn't?

Because for political prssire to be applied would require it to be publically known....otherwise it's ineffective and pointless??

I think it was a nice gesture anyway....even if fermanagh were terrible

It's perfectly obvious the history of the GAA is nationalist. It supports nationalist causes. https://www.historyireland.com/18th-19th-century-history/the-gaa-and-the-development-of-nationalism/

History.

Do you understand what that is?

The GAA is no longer an exclusively 'nationalist' organisation and has been 'reaching out' for donkey years and has all creeds and political persuausions playing and running it.

But some love perpetuating the myth. I.E. the conspiracy theorists :rolleyes:

AFAIK it's not generally the Orange Order (as such) arranging these things. In some cases the OO has indeed mildly tutted at the organisers -- tyres bad for the environment, a little rude to be burning down your your neighbour's house, etc.

Also, I believe that SF have sought to meet with the OO, but the OO have refused to do even that.

History.

Do you understand what that is?

The GAA is no longer an exclusively 'nationalist' organisation and has been 'reaching out' for donkey years and has all creeds and political persuausions playing and running it.

But some love perpetuating the myth. I.E. the conspiracy theorists :rolleyes:

I believe the technically correct term for people calling the Gaa a nationalist organisation is "realists".

• Advertisement

Because for political prssire to be applied would require it to be publically known....otherwise it's ineffective and pointless??

I think it was a nice gesture anyway....even if fermanagh were terrible

Not necessarily. We may know in the future though.

Could she afford to rebuff another public invitation after her volley of insults over the 1916 events? Who knows.

Advertisement