Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

LEIN wrote: »
    It has taken out the DART line.
    Apparently, it started on as a campfire.

If that's true the campers need to be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Grace7 it's actually started up again at around 4pm this evening lots of fire engines there.

It was that I caught not the earlier one. All so dry and the gorse etc is dessicated

Kamili wrote: »
    What ****ing arsehole does that, they should pour their bucket of water on the thing.

Thankful the pilots saw them in time. Could have been tragedy else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

View of the Bray head fire from 15km away on Glendoo. You can smell the smoke all over Dublin and there's a smokey haze in the air. Beautiful evening otherwise.

rtrnftE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest Swiss model suggesting the most places will see some rain on Sunday, but amounts generally very small:

YXB8s7B.png

Longer term ECM model going is more general towards the last quart of the month, but between now and then, a 'then' that is a hell of a long way off and subject to change, no major relief from the exceptionally dry conditions in the offing, except for a small window of opportunity later next week.

New Moon

• Advertisement

The wind is breathing water this morning here. Not huge amounts but WET!

West Mayo. offshore island

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

More large scale archeology showing up under drought conditions outside Belfast.

https://twitter.com/justrena/status/1018045175711576064

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Graces7 wrote: »
    The wind is breathing water this morning here. Not huge amounts but WET!

West Mayo. offshore island

What’s that like ?

I feel like I live in Vegas now , almost constant sunshine for last two months

Haven’t been able to raise the black out blinds in the bedrooms in weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Heard of a farm, North Dublin, who's just about to lose a crop of celery worth about 50k.... trying to get access to water from a local river. Not much luck as it's drying out too.
    Shocking weather for farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Up to yesterday, the 30 day national mean total is standing at just 17.5mm, which is an astonishing 24% of normal for the period.

Having a look back on the records, the first half of this summer, will be driest first half of summer in at least 45 years. Consider this summer's national mean total of 27.7mm up to yesterday the 13th and set it against the second lowest of figure for the same period, which is 54mm back in 2006 and it comes in at just half of that!

Other dry first halves of summers include those of 1995, 1983, 1984, 1996, 1975.

All data from Met Éireann.

New Moon

• Advertisement

What’s that like ?

I feel like I live in Vegas now , almost constant sunshine for last two months

Haven’t been able to raise the black out blinds in the bedrooms in weeks

Heaving sighs of relief! Same here with the curtains..

We even have.... puddles! And wet cats... sweet relief...

Heard of a farm, North Dublin, who's just about to lose a crop of celery worth about 50k.... trying to get access to water from a local river. Not much luck as it's drying out too.
    Shocking weather for farmers.

Appalling. Here they were scurrying round like headlless chickens getting the hay in before today's wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Just looked at the rainfall radar and for the first time ever I whooped with joy at seeing lots of lovely rain about to hit land. (I will have to bookmark this in the depths of winter when we are flooding)

NW Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some rainfall totals from the models up to Sun night. Hard to know how much exactly from the fronts but I think the ARPEGE might be close.

hirlamuk-25-34-0_tyq2.png

OU8tRNG.png

aromehd-25-34-0_llh3.png

arpegeuk-25-34-0_esh1.png

6X1cfkO.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Some rainfall totals from the models up to Sun night. Hard to know how much exactly from the fronts but I think the ARPEGE might be close.

hirlamuk-25-34-0_tyq2.png

OU8tRNG.png

aromehd-25-34-0_llh3.png

arpegeuk-25-34-0_esh1.png

6X1cfkO.gif

This low rainfall Nd lack of water is getting very serious for the whole country. Everyone is been affected in one way or another now. If the jet stream doesn’t break down it a national crisis. Crops failing in fields and water levels at all time critical low.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice soothing light rain here in West Clare now, 0.6mm so far. While it won't last long, it'll go some of the way to refresh the very orange grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

However looking at the radar it's not accurate at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lashing in Galway for the last few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Lashing in Galway for the last few hours

Same in Roscommon. Started around 5pm. Fairly light rain but steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Steady rain in Galway city since 5. Should put an end to all the talk of drought around these parts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

This will do us now
    Nice steady light rain
    Back to sun next week please!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

km79 wrote: »
    This will do us now
    Nice steady light rain
    Back to sun next week please!

Midlands has gotten very little

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »
    Midlands has gotten very little

Still dry on east Cavan.
    Don’t want to see much of any really.

Happier struggling in good weather than the wet or cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

km79 wrote: »
    This will do us now

The weather will do what it wants anyway but no not even close. No environment can sustain itself with a light shower of rain once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

wonder88 wrote: »
    Steady rain in Galway city since 5. Should put an end to all the talk of drought around these parts anyway.

Tis mearly a drop, might wet the soil and help the grass grow a bit, but far off drought relief in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Still tipping away
    This will help the lawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

South Sligo

Had two light mists earlier but now we are finally getting some decent rain, hoping it will last a few hours.

Advertisement