Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Rougies wrote: »
    Dublin and Casement reporting 0.01mm at 12:00 and Dublin 0.01mm again at 13:00. I didn't catch the earlier reports but I imagine they were similar.

I wonder if will we even break a hair's breadth of rain today? The thickness of a human hair is on average about 70 microns (0.07mm)

That's just trace (Tr) amount. Not enough to tip the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Completely sunny in West Clare, warm day, light northerly. Completely dry too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

sryanbruen wrote: »

Was reading that similar sites are being discovered in the UK. Everything from ancient roman forts and roadways to long buried WW2 airfields. Drones are helping find them as they can only be seen from the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Swiss model has a painfully weak front closing in on the NW coast on Saturday morning, which might, just might, give some spits and spots of rain to places as it passes through the country over the course of the day:

nsSCRUd.png

Regarding any rain potential for next week, still looking very tenuous at this point, with any active Atlantic fronts seemingly being pushed back with every new run. Hopefully the ECMWF this morning will show some sort of promise.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Was reading that similar sites are being discovered in the UK. Everything from ancient roman forts and roadways to long buried WW2 airfields. Drones are helping find them as they can only be seen from the air.

Getting down to the bare bones now :eek:

Just going through yesterday's data on Met Eireann site, and despite Dublin Airport reporting 11 hours out of 24 where 0.01mm of prep either from mist, fog or drizzle, their 'yesterday's weather' page only has 'tr' as the total prep at this station, which is curious, given that they state:

"Rain is total precipitation plus deposition in mm. tr means less than 0.05mm"

The cumulation of yesterday's 'trace' totals at D.A amounted to 0.11mm.

Source: https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations/download/Dublin-Airport/yesterday

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is very oppressive out there now. Still and heavy and cloud cover low. You never know ;)

West Mayo. offshore island

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just going through yesterday's data on Met Eireann site, and despite Dublin Airport reporting 11 hours out of 24 where 0.01mm of prep either from mist, fog or drizzle, their 'yesterday's weather' page only has 'tr' as the total prep at this station, which is curious, given that they state:

"Rain is total precipitation plus deposition in mm. tr means less than 0.05mm"

The cumulation of yesterday's 'trace' totals at D.A amounted to 0.11mm.

Source: https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations/download/Dublin-Airport/yesterday

It was likely quite a rough figure. 0.01 could mean 'something very small was recorded'

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It was likely quite a rough figure. 0.01 could mean 'something very small was recorded'

Didn't think Met Eireann were prone to using 'rough figures' in their data. Interestingly, Casement recorded 9 hours of 0.01mm yesterday, while Phoenix Park recorded none. So many Dublin stations to choose from. Wouldn't it be great if the same high density of stations were located in all other parts of the country too.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Is there anything to indicate the likelihood of this continuing past next week?

Didn't think Met Eireann were prone to using 'rough figures' in their data. Interestingly, Casement recorded 9 hours of 0.01mm yesterday, while Phoenix Park recorded none. So many Dublin stations to choose from. Wouldn't it be great if the same high density of stations were located in all other parts of the country too.

No, but cmon, 0.01mm isn't much whatsoever. Context here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Mooooo wrote: »
    Is there anything to indicate the likelihood of this continuing past next week?

Way to eart to say,charts can't fully agree for next week fully, just looking for trends in each run

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

The heaving Garavogue river in Sligo is currently maybe an inch deep with grass and stones showing everywhere.

The most rain we will get in the next 7 days is 20mm(very optimistic prediction)

That would be near normal for time of year.

But we need double the normal for 2 to 3 weeks.

The past 2 days have seen a total of 0.9mm of rain . No good.

Think the North and West drought will improve by late July but the East and South looks very problematic IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Where do posters get the detailed hourly reports from stations so they can see decimal places in temperature readings and the 0.01 rainfall measurements for example? I can only find the hourly update on the "latest reports" which rounds off and is gone once the next update comes in, or the "daily data" under "past weather" which doesn't appear for yesterday until late morning.

No, but cmon, 0.01mm isn't much whatsoever. Context here!

?
    I am well within the context that I framed. 0.01mm isn't much, but a lot of little 0.01mms add up. Wasn't that the point I was making?

New Moon

?
    I am well within the context that I framed. 0.01mm isn't much, but a lot of little 0.01mms add up. Wasn't that the point I was making?

My point was they don't offer measurements lower than 0.01mm, so any trace element of rain would simply come in as 0.01mm.

Even in a perfect world, the rain could have been 0.006mm (rounded to 0.01mm), which would make 0.066mm over 11 hours. Still above the trace threshold, but a good but off your 0.11mm.

We're realistically talking about ridiculously small amounts of rain here though oneric, it doesn't particularly matter.

Where do posters get the detailed hourly reports from stations so they can see decimal places in temperature readings and the 0.01 rainfall measurements for example? I can only find the hourly update on the "latest reports" which rounds off and is gone once the next update comes in, or the "daily data" under "past weather" which doesn't appear for yesterday until late morning.

If you go to the 'Yesterday's Weather' page on the new site, it will automatically give you the hourly data for Dublin Apt, no matter what part of the country you are in (you can't miss it as it takes up the entire screen upon first click) You have to click on the station map beside it to get data from other parts of the country.

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations/yesterday

New Moon

My point was they don't offer measurements lower than 0.01mm, so any trace element of rain would simply come in as 0.01mm.

Even in a perfect world, the rain could have been 0.006mm (rounded to 0.01mm), which would make 0.066mm over 11 hours. Still above the trace threshold, but a good but off your 0.11mm.

We're realistically talking about ridiculously small amounts of rain here though oneric, it doesn't particularly matter.

It isn't 'my' 0.11mm. this is based on official data, and not an assumption based scenario such as the one you present; and while I agree these totals are insignificant, they still add up to more than 'tr' at the end of the day, both at D.A and at Baldonnel.

New Moon

It isn't 'my' 0.11mm. this is based on official data, and not an assumption based scenario such as the one you present; and while I agree these totals are insignificant, they still add up to more than 'tr' at the end of the day, both at D.A and at Baldonnel.

But was 0.11mm actually recorded? That's my point, how do you know exactly 0.01mm was recorded each of those hours? I'm of the opinion of no, that was not recorded. I doubt they add rounded figures at the end of the day as you're trying to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

If you go to the 'Yesterday's Weather' page on the new site, it will automatically give you the hourly data for Dublin Apt, no matter what part of the country you are in (you can't miss it as it takes up the entire screen upon first click) You have to click on the station map beside it to get data from other parts of the country.

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations/yesterday

Thanks. Unfortunately the new site does not work on my phone.

But was 0.11mm actually recorded? That's my point, how do you know exactly 0.01mm was recorded each of those hours? I'm of the opinion of no, that was not recorded. I doubt they add rounded figures at the end of the day as you're trying to do.

Because the data...official data... says so? You can download the data, I even provided the M.E link for you to do so, and add them up yourself.

New Moon

Because the data...official data... says so? You can download the data, I even provided the M.E link for you to do so, and add them up yourself.

But why add rounded figures Oneiric?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes it was according to what Oneiric 3 is referring to, see the pics below as proof (for Dublin Airport):

DvbQf0O.png

jV0gz7P.png

As of yesterday, Dublin Apt's 30 day total (since June 12) is standing at just 3.8mm. 40 day total (since June 2) also on just 3.8mm. 50 day total (since May 23) amounting to just 8.5mm and 60 day (May 13) total is a flood inducing 11.0mm.

Bring it on...

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just updating for our contest, the 11-station grid used for rainfall has averaged 0.8% of normal so far this month, about 1/120 of normal. And Malin Head leads the pack with a soaking wet 4%, Belmullet has 3% and Cork has 1%. The rest have essentially zero rainfall. As it was largely dry from 20 June on, the percentage since then could be even a touch lower.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

River Arra barely a trickle in Newcastle West today.

Soev2Wj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

River Arra barely a trickle in Newcastle West today.

Soev2Wj.jpg

Maybe a good opportunity to clear debris/Rubish from Rivers nationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just in from digging a hole for a post in the garden. Dry as a bone 1ft down. Don't know how half the plants in the garden are still alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The trace figure (was always "<0.05 mm but now this 0.01 figure has appeared) merely means the sensor got wet. I have noticed that no matter what the weather, Casement always reads Tr in its 06Z synop. It's done so over this recent dry spell, and we definitely know there was no hint of rain. My advice is to completely ignore any Tr reports and certainly don't add them up.

Advertisement