Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Light rain just started falling in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Nationally speaking, the mean rainfall percentage total over the last 30 days standing at just 34%. (22.5mm)

An official drought (15 days with no rain at all) now occurring at a number of Met Eireann stations, including Mullingar, Valentia & Casement, with some still insignificant totals at a couple of others, including Malin Hd's 0.9mm.

All data C/O Met Éireann.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"Sweet, refreshing rain" has fallen here in West Mayo, offshore island.. Borne on the wings of a deliciously cool breeze...

Seeing the rain sign on mi "location" met.ie page..

All good and proper and in good order.

• Advertisement

jacksie66 wrote: »
    When I get a chance I'm gonna go up to the flooded area of the Shannon just south of Killaloe behind Parteen weir. There's a few houses and a lockmasters house that were submerged when the Shannon scheme was built. Might get to see the chimneys or roofs sticking out of the water.

I would dearly love to see that. Wonderful

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but wouldn't a desalination plant be a cost effective measure to prevent this happening? We're surrounded by the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but wouldn't a desalination plant be a cost effective measure to prevent this happening? We're surrounded by the stuff.

The cost benefit analysis said it was better value to pipe the Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Villain wrote: »
    The cost benefit analysis said it was better value to pipe the Shannon
    You should see how low the Shannon is, a lot lower if they were extracting this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Desalination could never be described as cost effective. It is extremely expensive both in money and energy; it isn't 100% effective so there can be harmful parts of seawater left behind like Boron; the waste byproducts of the process are extreme; and it can be very damaging to marine environments.

The fact that somewhere like California, of all places, barely uses desalination, should tell you a lot of what you need to know.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sryanbruen wrote: »

That's just up the road here. Aptly enough it's called The Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

Flying over Dublin today
    and botanics

20180707_113148.jpg

cant get botanics to upload and doubtless if this one has attached but pure yellow

This graph is of every day's rainfall for Dublin Airport for 1st May to 6th July 2018 and you can see just how dry it has been. The last time Dublin Airport had a daily rainfall with 4mm or more was April 24th. The last time Dublin Airport had a daily rainfall with 3mm or more was May 27th. I will be doing a comparison table later with other years at Dublin Airport of stats such as days with 5mm or more, days with 10mm or more, rainfall total up to that point (6th July) etc.

UtAU4Tz.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

MJohnston wrote: »
    Desalination could never be described as cost effective. It is extremely expensive both in money and energy; it isn't 100% effective so there can be harmful parts of seawater left behind like Boron; the waste byproducts of the process are extreme; and it can be very damaging to marine environments.

The fact that somewhere like California, of all places, barely uses desalination, should tell you a lot of what you need to know.
    Sorry for nit-picking but California does have the 4,000m+ Sierra Nevada which sees snow measured in meters in winter.
    If you ever have seen the streets of Madrid being hosed down remember that the very high Sierra de Guaderama are close to the city. I flew over them once in mid May and they were still snow covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

When it finally rains, it will make the roads slick. Lots of oil/diesel and dirt sitting on them now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

17 days without rainfall measured here near Tralee. 1 mm measured in 20 days.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

When it finally rains, it will make the roads slick. Lots of oil/diesel and dirt sitting on them now.

Tree sap is big here. Very grippy when dry but ice when wet.

Just a hint, a taste, of moisture in the cool grey air. West Mayo, offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just a hint, a taste, of moisture in the cool grey air. West Mayo, offshore island

At the other end of the country we have crystal clear blue sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

Stunning evening on the South coast of Wexford

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

At the other end of the country we have crystal clear blue sky.

I think when the weather breaks down the west and north may get decent rainfall but the south east will remain drier with higher pressure.

Bar a thundery Biscay low pressure break.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Carol25

In Majorca on holidays and it is amazing to see the abundance of water being used here by tourists, farmers, and the local population alike. Ireland is way behind the times and is long overdue the need for more resivoirs to be built which could store plenty of rain water that we get yearly. The real issue in my opinion is Irish water is barely able to cope with current demand during typical weather and tried to implement charges to upgrade the network, which failed. I absolutely love sun, but I think the situation is getting serious and there’s a genuine danger of major water shortages if there’s no breakdown...Again we wouldn’t have this problem if we had a proper water storage network in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Saw some rain on the M7 at nenagh last night. Wasn't much and didn't last long

attachment testing

phone is acting up

drought ridden ireland

how do i attach an image from my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

pauldry wrote: »
    how do i attach an image from my phone?

Uploading directly is painful from a phone. I'd recommend using https://imgbb.com/

Just upload there from your phone's files, then once it's uploaded use the "BBCode full linked" embed, which can be pasted directly for boards.ie.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I will be doing a comparison table later with other years at Dublin Airport of stats such as days with 5mm or more, days with 10mm or more, rainfall total up to that point (6th July) etc.

Ok, here's that table I talked about going back to 2008. Remember that these stats are up to 6th July of the following years because that's how far 2018 has gotten in the time I'm making this. The rainfall total columns of 5mm, 10mm, 20mm etc are days that have at least that amount of rain at Dublin Airport during the period.

2018 stands in the middle really when you look at it for this, largely as a result of the wet January/March/April. 2010 was the driest.

Year|Rainfall total up to 6th July (mm)|5mm|10mm|20mm
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Sunrise to sunset full sunshine here in Waterford City. Max temp at my station 24.6c and feeling very pleasant in the breeze. Went to Bunmahon beach and it was 21c. The sea is still cool though and refreshing but that's why we go to the beach right;)

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Advertisement