Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

issues at malahide with DARTs

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Northbound at Malahide was free as they were expecting trains to Dundalk and Belfast (non-stop)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

What is the IE Playbook when such a thing happens . Is there a call sheet for people, the duty manager, CTC manager, the duty IE head man to be dispatched to the scene to keep the show on the road ?

Did the driver of one of the trains leave the train unattended ? I know we're not the UK but I thought you could not do that

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Infini wrote: »
    In all honestly unless there's a serious threat to one's life noone should be leaving the train end of story. I honestly couldn't care what excuses people make or try to say about this the only time breaking window's or opening door's should be happening is only if there's a risk to life. Communication aside certain people breaking a window and just walking onto an ACTIVE RAIL LINE IN THE BLACK OF NIGHT because they simply cannot wait is stupidity of the highest order. No matter what anyone says your putting yourself in serious danger doing this and especially under those condition's as if a train was going the other way and didn't have word of what was happening people would be getting dismembered for crying out loud!

You are all having this funny debate as if it's one or the other, two things are both possible (and, IMO , the case here):

1. People who go onto an active rail line at night because they're tired waiting are morons who deserved to have the principles of evolution do it's thing to stop their stupidity being replicated into the next generation
    It's absolutely typical of our twitterized dumbed down society to think "loike LOLZ I WAS DELAYED and I'm the center of the universe (SELFIE!! LOLZ!) so f---k anyone else who might be delayed by ME walking on the tracks LOLZ! ;) ". I am 10 000% sure they never even CONSIDERED for a split second , none of them, that they might delay other people because there are no other people there is only me!

2. Irish Rail (like the entire Irish public sector) look at their customers/citizens as an irritation/annoyance to be controlled or tolerated, not someone they take care of and serve.
    This kind of thing will never be fixed as long as: A) There is a lack of a customer service ethos there and B) It's impossible for all practical purposes to get fired or disciplined for doing your job badly. If B can never ever happen without the union going ballistic and bringing the sky down, why would you EVER wanna bother doing your job better?

They're both true.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Just like many of those poor souls in Grenfell did.

In the case of a fire get to the open air. That is the safest place for you. Sitting on a locked train in this situation is beyond idiotic no matter how it actually turned out.

It's actually EXTREMELY dangerious and stupid to self-evacuate from an apartment block when there is a fire in just one apartment. There have only been two exceptions in history where a "stay put" order in a tall building resulted in deaths: 9/11 and Grenfell. In the former it was because nothing like it had ever happened and they didn't know how much structural damage had been done (ie didn't know there would be a collapse) and the latter they didn't know the cladding was so flammable. IF it wassn't for the cladding that fire never would have spread.
    In most apartment blocks fires stay contained to one apartment because the structure is designed that way.

If everyone floods into an evacuation in an apartment block what happens is the stairways suddenly become jammed full of panicked people which blocks the fire service personnel getting up the stairs to fight the fire (which the laws of physics say they can't do from the ground above a certain height) and the fire actually spreads more because fire doors designed to contain the damn blaze are now wide open by 100s of people in a panic feeding the fire with more oxygen and failing to contain it's spread.

Contrary to popular belief, it's well known in disaster management that people FREEZE way more often than they panic. This is something they always, for example, need to explain to juries in rape trials when they wonder why if there was no consent the victim didn't kick bite etc. I have personally tried evacuating people from fires in the workplace and they would not bloody move in one case i had to reaf a woman out of her chair and shove her forward to get her moving.

cgcsb wrote: »
    There was at least one female in need of medical attention at that point when the doors were opened on the second train. Almost an hour passed, another passenger had vomited. The heat was unholy and I felt I could have passed out myself. You are suggesting I should've trusted that Irish Rail will....eventually come to my rescue and stayed seated even when the majority of passengers had jumped ship. There was also a guy in a wheelchair who wasn't going anywhere so I suppose he was at the mercy of Irish Rail.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, frustrates me more than being ignored and that's what they were doing to you - but you might have had a hell of a lot more medical situations by walking onto an active rail line in the dead of night, you could have been turned into mashed potato by a train going through fast prepping it's place for the morning rush hour or even just a regular DART. Frustration is understandable but it was mind numblingly stupid to go onto a rail line. The only time you should do that is if the train is a more dangerous place than the tracks in which case (in accident or fire) the driver would have told CTC and the line would be frozen and you'd not be in danger. Luckily for you someone tweeted to IE about the people on the tracks and CTC were aware of the situation. That was luck, not intelligence or good judgement , that stoped you getting turned into mush and picked up by the fire dept with a shovel and bags. Which is worse, being irritated on a halted train desperately needing a p1ss or being dead.

trellheim wrote: »
    Didnt this happen in Dun Laoghaire not so long ago as well. Looking at railforums as well ( what happened in Lewisham - same thing ).

As someone said up-thread - self de-training is a thing now. - Right or wrong - it's a thing.

As soon as that train stops in section - a clock starts running , when that clock ends, someone will open the doors and jump down onto the ballast.

The only way of keeping that clock going and keeping people in the train is real, rapid communication from people who know more than twitter with actual timelines of when stuff will happen. If you don't get that then you're going to keep getting it wrong as to why detraining is happening.

posting here about it being a live line will not fix the root causes. You're correct it was a live line. But not looking at why it happened is like the dog refusing to look at the poo on the carpet.

Suggesting up-thread that on-train announcements are a '60s thing is quite frankly asinine.

Of course it happened before and OF COURSE Irish Rail learned NOTHING because they have NO INCENTIVE to learn anything because they don't have any reason to care about customers. They don't get punished if they perform their jobs badly like the rest of us do, they just keep going no matter how bad a job they do - as long as that's the case, this will keep happening.

What I'm not understanding (and having read the thread nobody has explained) is the exact sequence of events here?
    What caused the FIRST delay that caused the trains stuck behind to be frozen for so long? Was it the damage to the train / fights at Malahide?

Was there no option for the drivers to park at stations and let people wait at platforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Anyone hopping off a train onto an active line in service is a complete and utter dope. Luckily a disaster was averted.

These concerts should absolutely *not* be sanctioned in the absence of significant additional transport arrangements made at the operators cost. MCD have been getting away with murder with the lack of transport arrangements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, frustrates me more than being ignored and that's what they were doing to you - but you might have had a hell of a lot more medical situations by walking onto an active rail line in the dead of night, you could have been turned into mashed potato by a train going through fast prepping it's place for the morning rush hour or even just a regular DART.

But as I explained myself and my colleagues, all of whom are, ironically, engineers and transport consultants, were on a work night out and most certainly are not 'dopes' as another poster suggests and we actually discussed the risks involved before getting off believe it or not. That's why we got off on left hand side and walked on the city bound track on front of the train we just got off that, we knew was not going to move because it didn't have a driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

But as I explained myself and my colleagues, all of whom are, ironically, engineers and transport consultants, were on a work night out and most certainly are not 'dopes' as another poster suggests and we actually discussed the risks involved before getting off believe it or not. That's why we got off on left hand side and walked on the city bound track on front of the train we just got off that, we knew was not going to move because it didn't have a driver.

The only thing that this proves is stupidity is not exclusive to the great unwashed.

nowaynever wrote: »
    The only thing that this proves is stupidity is not exclusive to the great unwashed.

alright grand, so you weren't there and everyone that was is stupid. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

alright grand, so you weren't there and everyone that was is stupid. :rolleyes:

those who went walk-about on the railway are, yes.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

those who went walk-about on the railway are, yes.

I'd say just about everyone left the train, wheelchair guy excluded for obvious reasons. They must be all stupid in your estimation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I'd say just about everyone left the train, wheelchair guy excluded for obvious reasons. They must be all stupid in your estimation?

absolutely.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

And again, people are focusing on the useless here . This happened and you can't change that. The horse is unfortunately bolted.

Understanding what sequence of events led to this, finding the responsible senior IE manager and seeing why they let this happen, and what measures could have been taken to stave off self-evac might actually have some value in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

trellheim wrote: »
    And again, people are focusing on the useless here . This happened and you can't change that. The horse is unfortunately bolted.

Understanding what sequence of events led to this, finding the responsible senior IE manager and seeing why they let this happen, and what measures could have been taken to stave off self-evac might actually have some value in the future.

They didn't let idiots mess about with doors which led to the first train having to be detrained.
    No doubt that there will be full review as to what actually happend and put measures in place to prevent it happening again.
    **** rolls down hill in Irish Rail and sticks at the bottom. No manager will be held accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,200 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    They didn't let idiots mess about with doors which led to the first train having to be detrained.
    No doubt that there will be full review as to what actually happend and put measures in place to prevent it happening again.
    **** rolls down hill in Irish Rail and sticks at the bottom. No manager will be held accountable.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Hilly Bill wrote: »

I can't see anyone realistically being hung for this as much as some would say or wish otherwise because at the end of the day this was late at night when this happened and on top of that it was the idiot's messing with door's and vandalising train's which caused this BS to kick off to begin with. It might not satisfy people who would prefer to see some staff member get hanged for it but let's be clear here apart from maybe improved communication can you realistically go around blaming staff when it's the action's of self entitled idiotic dopes looking to win a Darwin Award who end up causing the whole thing to begin with?

If anything what should be happening is finding out which idiot's were the one's who broke the door's and started this shítfest to begin with and having their stupid braindead ásses prosecuted in court to the full effect of the law because if it's allowed to keep happening these same idiot's will do it again over some stupid incovenience until they pick the wrong time to do it and get shredded to piece's along with anyone else stupid enough to jump onto an active rail line en masse when a train travelling the other way comes through and it's too late to get word out of what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its very simple

1. Anyone carrying booze should have been refused travel at Malahide
    2. Anyone intoxicated should have been refused travel at Malahide
    3. There should have been security on the train

If that was the case, you have a much calmer situation and security either remove the trouble makers or stand at the door in question and let the driver sort it out.

Taking a full 8 coach train out of service for a single door issue is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭highdef

prinzeugen wrote: »
    This thing with people self evacuating/detraining is a recent trend. Completely unheard of 10 years ago here and in the UK.

The problem is not lack of communication.

The problem is society nowadays. Everyone is impatient and thinks they know best. Even if there had been an announcement, impatient people would have still retrained.

I was stuck on a train in the UK that had caught fire for 2 hours years ago. It was a bit smokey and there was no announcements as all the power had been cut, but people sat tight and didn't complain or try to jump off.

If a full 8 coach train is stopped for 45 minutes, there's a fairly high chance that at least one of them will need to use the bathroom. I don't know about you but I would be quite embarrassed to urinate in front of everyone on a train.

Also, due to the lack of announcements, nobody would have known when they were actually going to get moving again. If you need to go, you need to go. You can't stop that human function!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its very simple

1. Anyone carrying booze should have been refused travel at Malahide
    2. Anyone intoxicated should have been refused travel at Malahide
    3. There should have been security on the train

If that was the case, you have a much calmer situation and security either remove the trouble makers or stand at the door in question and let the driver sort it out.

Taking a full 8 coach train out of service for a single door issue is crazy

1 - Why? Where they carrying cups/glasses or cans/bottles? CArrying cans/bottles doesn't have to mean they are going to drink them there and then. They could be for later.
    2 - Why? So they should have been left wandering around or stranded in Malahide?
    3 - This is more of a hindsight thing. if the trains weren't stopped and passengers didn't force themselves off, you'd just be concerned about the general lack of a dedicated transport police.

Advertisement