Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

issues at malahide with DARTs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The good thing about football matches at the Aviva is that drink is not served inside the stadium due to UEFA requirements and people who are too pissed are refused entry. People who drink before hand have plenty of time to soak up the drink during the match.

Depends on the competition. No ban under FIFA so you buy drink inside the stadium at WC qualifiers. UEFA don't allow it for Euro Championship qualifiers. Drink is also served at friendlies.

Not allowed to bring it to your seat though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I still cant believe people still think it OK to just jump of a train. You have no idea of the dangers. Would you bite the blue wire of a kettle lead while it was plugged into the mains? No.

But you think its is safe to walk over the railway equivalent. I hope they track down and prosecute the persons involved. The BTP are actively investigating a similar incident in South London where a bunch of impatient idiots jumped onto live 750v (at 1000's of amps) track. 4 identified and charged so far.

If you needed to piss, use an empty can or bottle and pour it out the window if you can. Its what we used to do before the internet turned society into idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Even if the driver made an announcement and kept passnegrs informed it would likely fall on deaf ears. I was on a flight two years ago and I know it is a different case but when we landed in Dublin the pilot made a clear annoucement to telling us to remain in our seats as there was a sick passenger on board and to remain on the plane while we waited for an ambulance what happened only two girls got up barged past the flight crew and paramedics to try and disembark the plane people simply do not listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

If there’s a guy on twitter responding in timely fashion, maybe out of hours, then surely the driver can be instructed to also give information.

If there’s a guy on twitter responding in timely fashion, maybe out of hours, then surely the driver can be instructed to also give information.

It all comes back to information. Is society that bad now, that if people don't get realtime, instant updates or get a bit delayed, they go into meltdown?

As I said earlier, this is a new phenomenon and its the passengers not the railway that is the problem. We have had trains stuck in odd places since the 1850's but only in the last few years have people decided they cannot wait so jump off.

And I agree, that even if information had been given, impatient, self important idiots would still detrain.

• Advertisement

prinzeugen wrote: »
    It all comes back to information. Is society that bad now, that if people don't get realtime, instant updates or get a bit delayed, they go into meltdown?

As I said earlier, this is a new phenomenon and its the passengers not the railway that is the problem. We have had trains stuck in odd places since the 1850's but only in the last few years have people decided they cannot wait so jump off.

And I agree, that even if information had been given, impatient, self important idiots would still detrain.

I am not defending the jumping off. However I’m pretty sure that train drivers walked carriages or used communication devices in previous eras.

Irish rail are articulately bad at it. And often incomprehensible when they do speak.

I am not defending the jumping off. However I’m pretty sure that train drivers walked carriages or used communication devices in previous eras.

Irish rail are articulately bad at it. And often incomprehensible when they do speak.

Train drivers never walked trains and never talked directly to passengers until recently on DOO (driver only operations) trains. And announcements on trains are a 1960's invention.

Train drivers never walked trains and never talked directly to passengers until recently on DOO (driver only operations) trains. And announcements on trains are a 1960's invention.

So, prior to driver only operated trains there were train guards or conductors who dealt with emergencies and that died out in the 60’s around the time announcements on trains became common.

So communication was always there.

Look I’ve been on delayed Tubes. Announcers were clear and articulate, and the updates frequent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Out of interest how long would people think is reasonable to sit/stand quietly on the train in this case? 1, 2, 3 hours? More?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Would you bite the blue wire of a kettle lead while it was plugged into the mains? No.

That isn't a valid comparison really though, one is just a common sense thing where the other is one where people who suffer from anxiety, claustrophobia or other conditions may get very nervous and worry.

Having a bit of care for your fellow humans and giving a damn about their welfare and their feelings and state of mind is not a bad thing, but I know that Irish rail, a public service thinking the public is a lot to ask.
    Even if the driver made an announcement and kept passnegrs informed it would likely fall on deaf ears. I was on a flight two years ago and I know it is a different case but when we landed in Dublin the pilot made a clear annoucement to telling us to remain in our seats as there was a sick passenger on board and to remain on the plane while we waited for an ambulance what happened only two girls got up barged past the flight crew and paramedics to try and disembark the plane people simply do not listen.

And if it still happened we'd be talking about Irish Rail doing all their best to actually keep people informed and calm them down and failed and I think you'd find myself and others would not be criticising how Irish Rail handled the situation. But their crime is not that they didn't stop the situation, the fact is they didn't even bother to try.

My experience is that announcements do not always stop things from happening, but often they do help diffuse and calm down a situation so that is something that Irish Rail should be doing. This is my experience on the Tube, but generally the Tube is vastly superior to Irish Rail when it comes to customer service and announcements, and they are driver only trains as well and unlike Irish Rail, they're underground which is signficantly less connected than above ground.

As stated earlier, should they just tolerate shootings in America because people are lunatics or should they try and stop them getting the guns in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

So you saw one incident where two people (out of 189) didn't listen therefore there's no point in Irish Rail staff communicating with their customers during a protracted, late-night delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If I'm ever going to concert in Malahide I think I'll take the car...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

thomasj wrote: »

The bag of cans on the floor highlights a total failure of security at Malahide to stop drink being brought onboard, the usual who cares pack everyone in as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

from the independents piece on the calls for Transport police
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/ive-been-kicked-punched-and-spat-on-irish-rail-employee-shares-stories-of-assaults-37019586.html
    Earlier this weekend, chaos emerged on board a Dart coming from a Liam Gallagher concert at Malahide Castle.

Commuters reported incidents of people "smoking, urinating and freaking out" while one concertgoer shared an image of a window that was smashed in.

Trains saw significant delays as impatient commuters pried open train doors to walk home along the train lines, causing further delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Anyone who got off and walked the tracks were idiots and a cause of the delays.

I was on the second train, stopped for almost an hour, during that time it was getting hotter and hotter and the drunks were getting louder and louder, a girl passed out and a guy had vomited. Irish Rail done nothing, so you bet I jumped out and walked the tracks. You'd be an idiot to stay there all night until they cleared the tracks. The driver actually got out and walked off by the way.

I was stuck on a train in the UK that had caught fire for 2 hours years ago. It was a bit smokey and there was no announcements as all the power had been cut, but people sat tight and didn't complain or try to jump off.

Well nobody believes that Irish Rail has an interest in their passenger's safety and comfort so individuals need to take steps to look after their own safety and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

cgcsb wrote: »
    I was on the second train, stopped for almost an hour, during that time it was getting hotter and hotter and the drunks were getting louder and louder, a girl passed out and a guy had vomited. Irish Rail done nothing, so you bet I jumped out and walked the tracks. You'd be an idiot to stay there all night until they cleared the tracks. The driver actually got out and walked off by the way.

And you made the problem worse.

Well nobody believes that Irish Rail has an interest in their passenger's safety and comfort so individuals need to take steps to look after their own safety and comfort.

Jumping onto a live rail line in the dark isn't exactly looking after your own safety now is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If this claim is true it raises even more serious questions.

Infini wrote: »
    In all honestly unless there's a serious threat to one's life noone should be leaving the train end of story. I honestly couldn't care what excuses people make or try to say about this the only time breaking window's or opening door's should be happening is only if there's a risk to life. Communication aside certain people breaking a window and just walking onto an ACTIVE RAIL LINE IN THE BLACK OF NIGHT because they simply cannot wait is stupidity of the highest order. No matter what anyone says your putting yourself in serious danger doing this and especially under those condition's as if a train was going the other way and didn't have word of what was happening people would be getting dismembered for crying out loud!

There was at least one female in need of medical attention at that point when the doors were opened on the second train. Almost an hour passed, another passenger had vomited. The heat was unholy and I felt I could have passed out myself. You are suggesting I should've trusted that Irish Rail will....eventually come to my rescue and stayed seated even when the majority of passengers had jumped ship. There was also a guy in a wheelchair who wasn't going anywhere so I suppose he was at the mercy of Irish Rail.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If I'm ever going to concert in Malahide I think I'll take the car...

Just don't go to events for rough people would be the best advice. Malahide was in bits when I left.

What was I supposed to do? Sitting on the train wouldn't have helped matters.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    If this claim is true it raises even more serious questions.

Not until you find the reason why.

What was I supposed to do? Sitting on the train wouldn't have helped matters.

Jumping out didn't help matters either did it. It prolonged the delay.

Jumping onto a live rail line in the dark isn't exactly looking after your own safety now is it.

Nobody 'jumped onto a live railway' we jumped off the left side onto the stone and then walked on the city-bound tracks to Portmarnock i.e. we walked between two stationary broken down trains. On the walk to portmarnock station two gardaí passed us walking towards the DART we got off, I presume to tell the remaining passengers to do likewise, at least those that weren't in a wheel chair or passed out/extremely unwell.

Nobody 'jumped onto a live railway' we jumped off the left side anto the stone and then walked on the city-bound tracks to Portmarnock i.e. we walked between two stationary broken down trains. On the walk to portmarnock station two gardaí passed us walking towards the DART we got off, I presume to tell the remaining passengers to do likewise, at least those that weren't in a wheel chair or passed out/extremely unwell.
    Still a live line.

Jumping out didn't help matters either did it. It prolonged the delay.
    err it did help, it saved me about 15 minutes (approx. the time it would've taken for the gardaí to reach the train on foot and tell people to get out and walk. By the way when we arrived at Portmarnock there were thousands of people, two packed train loads of people in fact, with no bus or taxi options so we walked through the country side in the dark with no footpaths for some distance, I got as far as Coolock before I managed to flag down a taxi. Irish Rail made no attempt to bus people out.

Still a live line.

Yeah ok, the people made the determination that walking between two broken down trains in the dead of night was preferable to fainting with heat exhaustion and/or pissing themselves.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Irish rail didn't exactly try and reassure people did they or help them out? But you'd think they were perfect angels according to some here.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    Irish rail didn't exactly try and reassure people did they or help them out? But you'd think they were perfect angels according to some here.

Nobody even in Irish Rail think they are angels.

Advertisement