Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's you're Yearly goals coming along???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    my main goal was to win a medal at the Vets Nationals. disappointing end to my season. now i've a winter of discontent ahead. i've already put on weight.

groundhog 2019.

gave it a solid shot and came close but ultimately bitter disappointment. sport is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Distance - Might make it - commute is 270km if I don't chicken out
      Target: 10K
      Current: 8.5K
      Weight - not happening, lost about 10kg but the rest seems happy where it is.
      Target: 85kg
      Current: 95kg

Plan to add a few Audax rides to the todo for next year(did WW200 again this year, but my longish commute is giving me a gout for the lonely roads)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

i am at a measly 1400Km for the year( and that includes 400Km i did on a holiday in Majorca back in April) no motiviation this year to go cycling, going to try get a good base between now and Jan on the turbo, and hit the ground running next year.

WA, I can only dream of the day where I would consider 14K Km a poor years cycling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Aimed for a lower than usual 6500km and am off track by about 500km at the moment - mostly due lack of commutes. Had some health issues last year, which have taken more time to get over than expected and its proving too easy to just jump in the car. Weekends are pretty much on target, if a bit slower than normal.

On the positive side, managed four commutes this week (140km) for the first time in eighteen months, so looking forward to next year and a more typical 8,000 in 2020 (I might even drop that nagging 5kg that is refusing point blank to go anywhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Having just made 10,000k for each of the last three years (generally needing a spin on New Year's Eve), I was surprised to find that I'm currently only 120k short of that target. Club mid-week spins make up the bulk of it (retirement is great :)) and I might even have hit the target yesterday were it not for a mechanical problem that needed a call of shame to get me home from Swords.

Back in March I was pretty doubtful about getting to 10,000 as I'd been off the bike for 5 weeks following a crash but regular 100k+ spins twice a week got me back on track. I can't imagine being anywhere near that figure without the dedication of our two club leaders and the camaraderie of my clubmates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I'm 504km off a 6000km target. I'm hopeful I'll get there, but between a whack load of crap on at work and a lot happening outside of that between now and the end of the year, it'll be touch and go.

Might need to find a few things to 'fix' in the house to buy me enough brownie points to get out at the weekends. Otherwise I'm relying on commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..... commute is 270km if I don't chicken out......
    That's a savage commute! One way or round trip? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭secman

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    groundhog 2019.

gave it a solid shot and came close but ultimately bitter disappointment. sport is awful

But it will give you another shot next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

At 10792 with a target of 12k for the year

Aimed to do more 100k+ spins, had an awful habit last year of 90-95k each weekend. Done 23 so far so happy with that aswell just the one more Strava Gran Fondo to tick off the 12.

Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

My target of 4k seems fairly paltry, I'm suffering from serious length envy.

The story of my life. Wahhhheyy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Slightly off topic but kinda relevant :)
    Do you guys count turbo/zwift/trainerroad spins in your totals ?

The reason I ask is in winter Sunday is the only time I can ride on the road but trying to get 2 zwift spins in per week until march

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

mamax wrote: »
    Do you guys count turbo/zwift/trainerroad spins in your totals ?

The reason I ask is in winter Sunday is the only time I can ride on the road but trying to get 2 zwift spins in per week until march

Road kms only for me but if it was to add in turbo then who knows as I do 3-4 spins weekly once back in training on the turbo between October and April.

mamax wrote: »
    Do you guys count turbo/zwift/trainerroad spins in your totals ?....
    No - don't have any interest in such activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Road spins only - turbo and spinning aren't cycling imo !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Just hit 10k. Quiet year.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

interesting that - same as myself I never really saw the turbo sessions as 'proper' cycling*....only as a means to an end if there was snow/ice/storm winds or whatever, but I've changed now:
    I broke my leg near the end of Sept (not bike-related), along with some other painful but thankfully only minor damage, and so I was off the bike for a little while.
    Bought myself a direct-drive trainer and signed up on Zwift (and Rouvy), and did my rehab sessions there until I was given the ok to go back out on the roads.

Just looking back there I did 15 sessions (440km/16.5hrs), mostly on Zwift as I found Rouvy very 'lonely' and my broadband wasn't good enough for it to run smoothly.

So having done all that, I have to say....
    A) I feel like I actually did those miles/hours, and
    B) I found the Zwift sessions really tough. Was only in 'D' category and doing 'social' group rides but even still, I was getting dropped and finding it hard to hang on to groups even on the flats!
    (and this from someone that did an Alpine Raid last Sept., Italy to Toulon immediately after that, ridden the Marmotte and l'etape, and the toughest of sportives here at home).

So now I'm counting them as actual mileage anyways! :P

*I saw all this from a VERY privileged position where my work situation allows for spins in daylight 4 days-a-week year round. Different if you're stuck with working during daylight hours every week.

andy69 wrote: »

So having done all that, I have to say....
    A) I feel like I actually did those miles/hours, and
    B) I found the Zwift sessions really tough. Was only in 'D' category and doing 'social' group rides but even still, I was getting dropped and finding it hard to hang on to groups even on the flats!.

So now I'm counting them as actual mileage anyways!....]
    I take the point regarding tough physical exertion but has anyone on a turbo experienced the misery of a prolonged savage headwind, puncturing in the dark and trying to reset a tube with frozen fingers, running out of food/water, having no phone signal, and the utter horror of being soaked to the skin in freezing temperatures with the onset of hypothermia.

Cycling isn't just about speed and physical exertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'm at around 9200Km for the year now. Halfway through September I realised I was going to fall short of my 10,000Km target so I altered my commute from 19Km to 27Km and it's seen me get ahead of schedule. I prefer the new route as it misses out the R132 and I hate all the roundabouts near Swords, but I have found it a bit tougher after some late shifts.
    I missed the Jan Gran Fondo, despite doing some 100km+ days (shouldn't have reset the Garmin before riding to work) and I missed the Aug one because I only uploaded it in September...
    I did 3 sportives, Haul D Naul, VCB + GDBR but missed the one I like most - The Reservoir Dog.
    All in all a good year, just wish I had more time for group spins

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I take the point regarding tough physical exertion but has anyone on a turbo experienced the misery of a prolonged savage headwind, puncturing in the dark and trying to reset a tube with frozen fingers, running out of food/water, having no phone signal, and the utter horror of being soaked to the skin in freezing temperatures with the onset of hypothermia.

Yeah that's very true - good point, can't argue with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pm9999

Just 100 miles short of my 4000 mile (6400km) objective for the year - all good.

Everything put in perspective, however, by the achievement of young Mr Mantle in the UK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GSapzvhhIA

Much respect, sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

andy69 wrote: »
    I broke my leg near the end of Sept (not bike-related), along with some other painful but thankfully only minor damage, and so I was off the bike for a little while.
    Bought myself a direct-drive trainer and signed up on Zwift (and Rouvy), and did my rehab sessions there until I was given the ok to go back out on the roads.

Normally I'd agree with you WA but using Zwift as rehab for a broken leg and recording it sounds okay to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I wonder do runners include kms on a threadmill in their yearly total ? I see turbo and spinning as great exercise sessions, same as I do swimming, HIIT classes and boxing - they are great training but not like cycling at all.

I've run out of food, punctured, soaked in sweat in freezing temps while not leaving my outdoor turbo set up a couple of years back.ut yeah I do agree that turbo kms aren't real kms for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just short of 10k at the moment, all going well I'd think I'll comfortably hit 11k+ which is a bit back on last year but not unexpected given I had a change of emphasis.

Last year I was training for the 24hr TT, and put in some big weeks in the run up to it, then kept going in a similar vein afterwards, this year I joined the Vets and went racing, I'd done some club league before but never "proper" Sunday racing at distances up to 100km. I was put in the normal group newbies get put in and to say the least it was a bit of a shock to the system, it took me a good while to actually make it to the business end of a full race but learned a lot over the season, at least I have a decent idea where I need to be before the start of the next one.

The early finishes in the first part of the season and the few weeks marshalling did pull my weekly KMs well back even if my average speed was well up :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 farmerk

Goals:
    - 5000km (Just 99km remaining)
    - 12x Strava Fondo Badges (done)
    - Wicklow 200 (done)

Extra:
    - 5x Audax rides, including Antrim 300 and 4x 200km rides
    - Audax 4 Provinces medal achieved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

...This morning, the two Dublin southside bike counters on the Rock Road at Booterstown and on the N11 at UCD were reading 265,969 and 212,469 respectively (totals for the year, which presumably will reset tonight).

This year (with a few days to go), the totals are up only a few percent, at 272,nnn and 215,nnn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Had set a target of 8,500 km and a Gran Fondo every month. Pretty much think i hit the Gran Fondo up to October. Currently just 128km off 9,000 km so that's creating a new challenge of hitting 10,000 km for the year :). Should be into the last 1,000 km by Monday morning..fingers and toes crossed.. 60's are the new 40s :)

Hit the 10,000 km target on Christmas eve , taking it handy since then.. 3 more days to reset the clock :)

I'm going to pass 12,000km tomorrow, easily a personal best yearly total.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Type 17 wrote: »
    This year (with a few days to go), the totals are up only a few percent, at 272,nnn and 215,nnn.

And those counters miss a huge number of cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Set the goal for 5500km but privately hoped for 6000km. Achieved 6000km yesterday.
    Then told Mrs. Flembeck that my cycling is now over for the year. But I privately hope it's not :D

Advertisement