Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city marathon 28/10/2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭M.m.m.

M.m.m. wrote: »
    If the rumours are to be believed and they allow transfers then yes but so far I havn't seen anything solid put in place. It won't be that many places if it happens, they'll be very hard to come by.
    RayCun wrote: »
    they have said that they will be operating a refund system this year, with runners able to sell their places back to the marathon and those places then being resold. They haven't released any details yet.

Sorry meant to say refunds not transfers but actually nobody knows yet if it will be one or both since nothing has happened yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

We do know.

Jim Aughney has said: “If people enter now and then find they can’t run for any reason, we will give them their money back taking only a small administration fee. We will then open up entry again with those numbers.”

Djoucer wrote: »
    We do know.

Jim Aughney has said: “If people enter now and then find they can’t run for any reason, we will give them their money back taking only a small administration fee. We will then open up entry again with those numbers.”

and what about transfers, are they allowing you to defer entry to next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

and what about transfers, are they allowing you to defer entry to next year?

I think it's pretty clear. If you have bought an entry for the 2019 marathon, and decide that you can't run it, you can sell your entry back to the organisers.
    They will resell the entry.

They are not (based on what has been said so far) facilitating transfers. You can't say you want to give your place to your mate, or sell your place to someone else for a higher price. You return your entry, and DCM will resell it.

They are not organising deferrals, because what is the point? If you want to enter the 2020 race, you can buy an entry in November of this year.

I think it's pretty clear. If you have bought an entry for the 2019 marathon, and decide that you can't run it, you can sell your entry back to the organisers.
    They will resell the entry.

They are not (based on what has been said so far) facilitating transfers. You can't say you want to give your place to your mate, or sell your place to someone else for a higher price. You return your entry, and DCM will resell it.

They are not organising deferrals, because what is the point? If you want to enter the 2020 race, you can buy an entry in November of this year.

There must be some point to deferring entry, other marathons and races do it. It exists for some reason.

• Advertisement

There must be some point to deferring entry, other marathons and races do it. It exists for some reason.

Because other races don't have guaranteed entry.

All that is left is for M.m.m to complain that the marathon is too long given they must be close to running out of things to complain about at this stage.

Because other races don't have guaranteed entry.

Neither does this if for some reason you dont enter on time. You highlight that fact every chance you get Ray and give out about people not entering on time. Such a moaner. :rolleyes:

All that is left is for M.m.m to complain that the marathon is too long given they must be close to running out of things to complain about at this stage.

I havnt complained about one thing. Name one thing I complained about?
    Seriously.

Neither does this if for some reason you dont enter on time. You highlight that fact every chance you get Ray and give out about people not entering on time. Such a moaner. :rolleyes:

No race gaurantees entry if you don’t enter on time. Lol.

This has to be trolling. Fair play.

• Advertisement

No race gaurantees entry if you don’t enter on time. Lol.

This has to be trolling. Fair play.

Lol...go back over Rays posts through the years. You'll see umpteen people saying they never entered some race on time because they forgot or were sidetracked with life etc. Then you see Ray saying I told you so.

Anyway the point is that deferrals are there for convenience for people and yes some dont enter on time and it may well be their reason to use such a transaction.

If you see trolling in that then fair play.

Neither does this if for some reason you dont enter on time.

if you don't apply for a deferral in time then you can't defer.

If you turn up too late on the morning of the race then you won't be able to run...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

I'm not sure what the big deal is with deferrals? If you enter London and get a place in the lottery and defer the entry, you still have to pay for both years. It just means you don't go through the lottery process again. London doesn't even do transfers or refunds.

In Dublin, there isn't a lottery so why do you need to defer?

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the big deal is with deferrals? If you enter London and get a place in the lottery and defer the entry, you still have to pay for both years. It just means you don't go through the lottery process again. London doesn't even do transfers or refunds.

In Dublin, there isn't a lottery so why do you need to defer?

Nobody is saying its a big deal, original question was asking if there was deferral. Other races besides London do deferrals at no extra charge by the way

Nobody is saying its a big deal, original question was asking if there was deferral. Other races besides London do deferrals at no extra charge by the way

How are you not getting this?

It’s the case that Dublin offers guaranteed entry.

If you can’t run next year, you can get a refund.

You can then use that refund for guaranteed entry the following year. It’s better than a deferral.

Which ones? Any of the big marathons I've entered and tried to defer have always wanted payment for both years. Berlin for instance, Chicago and New York and Boston don't offer defferals, neither does Rotterdam(where you have to buy insurance to cover entry in case you can't make it but that only entitles you to a refund). Amsterdam and Manchester don't cover deferrals either. In fact outside of Berlin and London(huge lottery entries) where you have to pay twice, I haven't heard of any race which offers deferrals at no extra cost or at all.

Which ones? Any of the big marathons I've entered and tried to defer have always wanted payment for both years. Berlin for instance, Chicago and New York and Boston don't offer defferals, neither does Rotterdam(where you have to buy insurance to cover entry in case you can't make it but that only entitles you to a refund). Amsterdam and Manchester don't cover deferrals either. In fact outside of Berlin and London(huge lottery entries) where you have to pay twice, I haven't heard of any race which offers deferrals at no extra cost or at all.

Is this confined to what other country marathons are doing then in that case lets open a complete can of worms and compare all of the mod cons of them all and have a right aul whinge. :pac:

I was actually referring to other races within the country but I'm sure if you spend a few hours on google you'd find plenty of marathons that do offer deferrals.

How are you not getting this?

It’s the case that Dublin offers guaranteed entry.

If you can’t run next year, you can get a refund.

You can then use that refund for guaranteed entry the following year. It’s better than a deferral.

Thats quite aggressive, no need for it.
    If you get a free deferral as apposed to a partial refund then the deferral is not only convenient but you also dont have to add more of your own money to pay the fee.

Here are some examples of deferrals:
    http://www.connemarathon.com/deferrals-and-transfers/
    https://www.rockandroad.ie/refunds-deferrals-and-transfers/
    http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/entry/
    https://rungalwaybay.com/faqs/

Thats quite aggressive, no need for it.
    If you get a free deferral as apposed to a partial refund then the deferral is not only convenient but you also dont have to add more of your own money to pay the fee.

Here are some examples of deferrals:
    http://www.connemarathon.com/deferrals-and-transfers/
    https://www.rockandroad.ie/refunds-deferrals-and-transfers/
    http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/entry/
    https://rungalwaybay.com/faqs/

None of those come at no extra cost though. They all have admin fees added on top like the DCM has too and subtracts from a refund. I'm not even backing up DCM here but I'd prefer a refund than being tied to a race again a year later, you have more freedom with a refund than a deferral. It just doesn't make sense to me to be arguing this point when you have something better already availible.

This is basically the comparison

You can get a refunded entry minus admin fees and pay for a new entry the year after if you like with the same option availible again next year.

You can get a non-refundable entry plus pay extra admin fees if you want to defer until next year. If you don't complete it the next year, your money is gone.

Outside of a race I desperatly wanted to do that operates a lottery system, I'm taking the refund all day because it has more freedom. This just isn't me backing up DCM, I know I'd personally prefer straight transfers but that comes with admin fees added on top as well. The difference been debated here is whether admin fees should be added on top of an entry or taken off essentially. You end up paying them either way so I'll take the one with freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I heard when KBC’s time is up M&M sweets are been lined up.
    I also heard they are adding an extre “m” to their name just to be awkward cnuts.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I also heard they are adding an extre “m” to their name just to be awkward cnuts.

It's a newly launched troll flavour!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's a newly launched troll flavour!

Thats very bold behaviour, i hope your mammies know that you're on the computer teasing people about troll flavoured m&m's. I'd give you the rolling pin if I caught you the pair of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Thats very bold behaviour, i hope your mammies know that you're on the computer teasing people about troll flavoured m&m's. I'd give you the rolling pin if I caught you the pair of ye.

I bet you are well used to the rolling pin, matron.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

I'll get hung for this but fook it...

Lads, I'm pretty sure m.m.m isn't a troll going by previous a/c's and posts from long ago. There's just beef going on for so long(probably 15 months now) that the whole thing is escalating and getting amplified to stupid levels as it does in this place from time to time. His/her posting style now isn't helping and neither are the other posts from everyone else tbf. I've seen the same thing happen here time and again and it never ends well for anyone. People will blow up, sides will be taken, a/c's will be rageclosed and everyone will be asking why no one posts on A/R anymore or where have all the great old posters gone. Wash, rinse and repeat!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'll get hung for this but fook it...

You won't.

M.m.m. is now on my 'list'

If you have any mitigating info, my door is open..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

From date account reg'd - the tone of the posts and quoting Ray's history, I do wonder if we all met up if some of us may know M.M.M. by another former boards name -one of the gang who threw toys out of pram and left a few years back maybe... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

I am considering trying to get one of the last 2500 entries for this in July. For those of you who have done it before would you recommend it for a first timer? Is it relatively flat? I have done a few half marathons and would like to attempt a full one!

mutley18 wrote: »
    I am considering trying to get one of the last 2500 entries for this in July. For those of you who have done it before would you recommend it for a first timer? Is it relatively flat? I have done a few half marathons and would like to attempt a full one!

It's the best marathon to do in Ireland.

There are flatter marathons abroad.

I wouldn't say Dublin is hilly, but I wouldn't say it is flat either. But I don't think any other Irish marathons are much flatter?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Read some of the reports around here. iirc, the thinking was the course is set up for a negative split. Has the odd drag in parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

mutley18 wrote: »

I ran it last year as my first marathon and really enjoyed it, The crowd were immense. As a first marathon it is a great experience. There are some drags throughout the route.

I am doing it again this year.

Advertisement