Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city marathon 28/10/2018

Options
  • 06-06-2018 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

Website

Route

Last year's thread

Mentored thread for novice marathon runners

Dublin marathon is on Sunday 28th of October.
    Start times last year were
    08:55 : Wheelchair entrants
    09:00 : 1st wave
    09:15 : 2nd wave
    09:30 : 3rd wave
    09:45 : Final wave
    (may be more waves this year?)

Race numbers and race packs must be collected from the Expo in the RDS on Friday (12-7) or Saturday (10-7) before the race. Race numbers are not posted out.

There is a secure bag drop at the start/finish area of the race. Your race pack includes a clear plastic bag and a sticker with your race number. You must use this bag to store your belongings. There are no showers or changing areas at the finish line.

Water is supplied at 10 stations on the route, in small (250ml) bottles. Three stations also give out Lucozade, and two also give out gels. There are toilets at each water station.

Entries are not refundable, and not transferable. Boards does not allow people to ask for or offer numbers. Here are lists of other autumn marathons in Ireland and abroad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

*Sunday 28th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks for all the info Ray.

I will admit i got a few butterflies seeing this thread started up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone got the latest update for the weather for the day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Will there be pacers? Good-looking pacers? I'm not running it without good-looking pacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Will there be pacers? Good-looking pacers? I'm not running it without good-looking pacers.

few more burds this year i think..
    #genderquotas
    #equalityandthatstuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Excited to see this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

yiiiippppeeeee!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Less than 12 weeks to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Found myself watching this the other night.

https://youtu.be/qHzvv2pmQGE

Couple of decent videos on the YouTube channel, doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic. Would get you in the humour.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Hope the training is going well for everyone. So far so good with me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

few more burds this year i think..
    #genderquotas
    #equalityandthatstuff

Don't forget the subs bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Anybody know if it’s possible to move up a wave? FAQs say it’s possible to drop down alright but see nothing about moving up

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭muloc

RayCun wrote: »
    Water is supplied at 10 stations on the route, in small (250ml) bottles. Three stations also give out Lucozade, and two also give out gels. There are toilets at each water station.

I see on route map it says high 5 gel - any idea what flavour?

muloc wrote: »

I think they give out orange flavour, maybe another flavour too?

But if you're relying on the gel stations for gels you'll have to take what you're given!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

muloc wrote: »

Not sure re. flavour but they have the Isogel and regular gels I think?

But if you're relying on the gel stations for gels you'll have to take what you're given!

Almost sure they are orange too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I'd go even further and say dont rely on the gel stations at all. From experience they can be easily missed. Carry what gels you need or have trusted supporters hold onto some at agree spots on course. If you need more and come across the gel station then that'd be a bonus. Could be a psychological as well as physical blow if you rely on the station and miss it.

RedRunner wrote: »
    I'd go even further and say dont rely on the gel stations at all. From experience they can be easily missed. Carry what gels you need or have trusted supporters hold onto some at agree spots on course. If you need more and come across the gel station then that'd be a bonus. Could be a psychological as well as physical blow if you rely on the station and miss it.

That’s a very good point. I missed the first station last year. It didn’t matter as I had enough but I did plan on taking one from them there in case I dropped one or something like that. I was through the station before I realized and I wasn’t going back! I had researched where they were and still missed it somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I remember or lack of remembering run by them once. Lucky I didn't rely on them but it can easily happen. You are focused on running and you just run by them without knowing.

They are usually around a water station so more caught up getting some liquids than looking for a gel.

Flavours is usually a lucky dip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

You will know immediately know if you miss a gel station - your shoes start sticking to the road. :D

positron wrote: »
    You will know immediately know if you miss a gel station - your shoes start sticking to the road. :D

This is all i remember from last year... i don't remember seeing a single solitary gel station the whole way around but i do remember the sticky road :p

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

My third DCM can't wait. I am haunted by narrowly missing a sub 4 time in 2015. Does anyone recommend a particular training plan to help me? I think I've spent too much time reading online and just don't know if I'm doing it right.

Willing to put in maximum time and effort. Advice on pacing on training runs would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Pink11 wrote: »
    My third DCM can't wait. I am haunted by narrowly missing a sub 4 time in 2015. Does anyone recommend a particular training plan to help me? I think I've spent too much time reading online and just don't know if I'm doing it right.

Willing to put in maximum time and effort. Advice on pacing on training runs would be much appreciated!

It’s 10.5 weeks to DCM and you haven’t picked a plan?

what are you doing at the moment?

what are you doing at the moment?

I'm currently doing: https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/intermediate-1-marathon/

Would you recommend I stick or change to anything you found that worked well for you?

I'm currently doing: https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/intermediate-1-marathon/

Would you recommend I stick or change to anything you found that worked well for you?

Is there any particular reason you are thinking of changing plans?

Is there any particular reason you are thinking of changing plans?

Just wondering should I be adding in more to up my stamina? Speed runs? Up my pacing/tempo. Perhaps that plan isn't sufficient to comfortably hit 3.55-3.59.
    It’s 10.5 weeks to DCM and you haven’t picked a plan?

haha I'm not THAT confident :D Been following the plan above religiously so far.

Just wondering should I be adding in more to up my stamina? Speed runs? Up my pacing/tempo. Perhaps that plan isn't sufficient to comfortably hit 3.55-3.59.

There's no reason why you shouldn't run under 4 hours following that plan. It has enough miles, it has some pace work - it's basic but has the essentials.

It might not be the best plan for you to follow, but that really depends on what you were doing before you started following it. The best plan is one that addresses your weaknesses and provides some stimulus without overstretching you.

But even if it isn't the best plan, if it covers the main points in a structured way and gets you to the start line in good condition, then it's fine.

• Advertisement

There's a sub 4 thread that might interest you.

Advertisement